• Victorian

• Maroon Sailor

• Notts1874

• Samuel Camazzola

Malinga the Swinga
10 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Portrush has been a tremendous host.

lowry pissed it today as expected.

What are you basing the tremondous host not? Are you there?

It has supported the Irish players, but from a tv spectator view, the atmosphere that seemingly exists on the course does not transfer itself to the to viewer. 

Maybe be because it is so easy for Lowrie but no tension = no excitement. 

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It has supported the Irish players, but from a tv spectator view, the atmosphere that seemingly exists on the course does not transfer itself to the to viewer. 

Never played the course but it looks class. Would love to play it. 

From current pros, retired pros, pundits and guys within the ropes, nothing but praise has been heaped on the course and its condition and set up. 

gashauskis9

Class Act.  Bossed it from day 1.  Hugely likeable bloke as well, plays with a smile on his face unlike most modern pros.

Cruyff Turn

Amazing stuff from Lowry, very rare to see anyone lead from start to finish and be consistently the best golfer on the course. Very well deserved. 

Cruyff Turn
37 minutes ago, kila said:

Has been a bit of a unexciting final round. 

Weather not helping but it’s no Carnoustie for sure. 

If they had weather like that at Carnoustie, no one would have finished on double figures over par.

These courses are amazing though, on a calm day they are a piece of piss for a top pro golfer, once the wind gets up to 15mph, they’d struggle to make par. The beauty of links golf.

Ireland has had an amazing run of major winners in recent years.     Harrington, McDowell, Clarke,  McIlroy and now Lowry.    

29 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

From what I’ve seen on tv and what the players, commentators and everyone else has said about it. I’ve not heard a negative word said about it, apart from you of course. 

I think its been brilliant.

Maroon Sailor

£812 back for Lowry

£160 back for Rickie

Not done very well this year on the golf so this is a welcome return

Maroon Sailor

Koepka having a go at Holmes for slow play and Stenson snapping his club in 2 after a shank

The weather brings out the worse in people !

Samuel Camazzola
21 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

£812 back for Lowry

£160 back for Rickie

Not done very well this year on the golf so this is a welcome return

Well done. 

Put a liitle on Rory for the WGC next week. 😉

16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Koepka having a go at Holmes for slow play and Stenson snapping his club in 2 after a shank

Rose had a delicious looking shank which a lot of club golfers would struggle to achieve. 

Penalty shots and unfavourable tee times for future tournaments need to be handed out to guys like Holmes. It's the only way to penalise them with repeat offenders getting suspended from upcoming events. 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Well done. 

Put a liitle on Rory for the WGC next week. 😉

Rose had a delicious looking shank which a lot of club golfers would struggle to achieve. 

Penalty shots and unfavourable tee times for future tournaments need to be handed out to guys like Holmes. It's the only way to penalise them with repeat offenders getting suspended from upcoming events. 

Holmes totally wrapped his hand in after taking a 6 at the 1st. He's fell away badly before in majors when in the last or last few groups. He's the kind of player that would win a major sitting in the clubhouse for 2 hours.

3 hours ago, kila said:

Has been a bit of a unexciting final round. 

Weather not helping but it’s no Carnoustie for sure. 

Bit of a damp squib with Lowry strolling it so easily. 

£860 back for Lowry and £85 back for Finau. Just missed out with Reed. All this on top of backing Woodland at 80/1 to win a few weeks ago. And young Jonjo got back in the groove today as well, with Young Wolf( £25 @ 3/1) winning.

Maroon Sailor
29 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Bit of a damp squib with Lowry strolling it so easily. 

That was no stroll in those conditions especially when he got to the turn. It was brutal.

Holmes shot a 16 over par 87. Started in the 3rd last group and only 3 players finished below him in the end

50 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That was no stroll in those conditions especially when he got to the turn. It was brutal.

Holmes shot a 16 over par 87. Started in the 3rd last group and only 3 players finished below him in the end

Nobody ever looked like challenging him though. Didn't make for a very exciting finale. 

The Mighty Thor
17 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

JB Holmes 😮😮😮.  Talk about a final round whitey!!!

Something that was not made enough of. He's a total dick of a guy so watching him implode to 87 blows was joyful. 

Harry Potter
17 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

stenson , wots that all about, hes normally quite cool :sad: well done to the winner, thought Tommy might have challenged him

but his putting was poor. 

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Underneath that cool Scandinavian exterior, Stenson has always struck me as having the ability to be a total and utter radge.

He's a Viking afterall

Harry Potter
24 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Underneath that cool Scandinavian exterior, Stenson has always struck me as having the ability to be a total and utter radge.

Utter radge ha ha, i did put a 7 iron round a tree onetime, i was a teenager so a wee bit of an excuse.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Sky Sports have one of their programmes dedicated to him. In the early 2000s, breaking clubs and smacking tee boxes was a common occurance with him. 

Still a likeable guy. 

Back to Portrush in 2024. Will probably mean that 4 of the Opens between 2019 and 2025/26 will be played at just 2 courses.

Maroon Sailor
24 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Back to Portrush in 2024. Will probably mean that 4 of the Opens between 2019 and 2025/26 will be played at just 2 courses.

It was nailed on St Andrews would get the 150th in 2021. It usually gets it every 5 years which is not right imo as it's not that hard a test now unless the wind blows a hoolie.

Has to be the best easiest course on The Open rota

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It was nailed on St Andrews would get the 150th in 2021. It usually gets it every 5 years which is not right imo as it's not that hard a test now unless the wind blows a hoolie.

Has to be the best easiest course on The Open rota

St Andrews is St Andrews and rightly hosts every 5 years. There is something special about an Open there. Also even if you don't go into the golf the town is brilliant fun for the week. Plus I get to sit in my club and watch the golf 30 yards in front of me while drinking cheap beer 😁.

hmfc_liam06
23 hours ago, Victorian said:

Ireland has had an amazing run of major winners in recent years.     Harrington, McDowell, Clarke,  McIlroy and now Lowry.    

Hate to be pedantic but McDowell, Clarke and McIlroy aren't Irish :lol:

4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hate to be pedantic but when it comes to golf they are. Irish golf is like Rugby. It's the whole island. Mcilroy has even chosen to represent Ireland at the Olympics 😉

43 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Hate to be pedantic but when it comes to golf they are. Irish golf is like Rugby. It's the whole island. Mcilroy has even chosen to represent Ireland at the Olympics 😉

Incorrect.    You are either Northern Ireland or Ireland.     There is no such united Ireland in golf.

51 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That is quite pedantic tbf.   Players from Ireland,   north or south,    have won a lot of majors for a population of that size,   in comparison to England or Scotland. 

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Incorrect.    You are either Northern Ireland or Ireland.     There is no such united Ireland in golf.

But yet there is a single golf union representing the two countries.....well two but one is for the ladies.

Anyway your original point is correct they are certainly punching above their weight in major championships.

hmfc_liam06
54 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Incorrect.

McIlroy, Clarke and McDowell represent NI with Lowry and Harrington representing IRE at tour level.

The Olympics is another matter altogether.

hmfc_liam06
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That is quite pedantic tbf.   Players from Ireland,   north or south,    have won a lot of majors for a population of that size,   in comparison to England or Scotland. 

Haha I know, I was just fed up hearing yesterday how Lowry won on home soil :lol:

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

But yet there is a single golf union representing the two countries.....well two but one is for the ladies.

Anyway your original point is correct they are certainly punching above their weight in major championships.

Indeed.     You can probably put it down to a statistical coincidence that so many different players from Ireland/NI have won majors in recent times.     Equally it is probably a statistical freak that England still awaits an Open winner after all these years.

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Haha I know, I was just fed up hearing yesterday how Lowry won on home soil :lol:

:)

yes,  artistic licence I suppose.    

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Incorrect.

McIlroy, Clarke and McDowell represent NI with Lowry and Harrington representing IRE at tour level.

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Incorrect.

But all came through a united Ireland system at amateur level so we will call this a score draw.

Roxy Hearts
8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Incorrect.

Darren Clarke stated they play golf for all of Ireland. It's still one island. 

Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

Darren Clarke stated they play golf for all of Ireland. It's still one island. 

They don't.     In professional golf you are classified as from Ireland or Northern Ireland.     Scotland or England.

No united Ireland or GB.

So it seems the rota is going to be as follows.

Royal St Georges

St Andrews

Hoylake....all of these are confirmed.

Then Muirfield will be back on the rota now they have changed the membership rules

Portrush/ Lytham

Then St Andrews again in 2025

Scottish courses featuring a smaller percentage of time than around 30 years ago.      There was a time it was all between St.Andrews,  Carnoustie,  Muirfield,  Troon,  Turnberry,  St.Georges,  Lytham and Birkdale.     Now there's Hoylake and Portrush in the rota to water down number of Opens in Scotland.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Scottish courses featuring a smaller percentage of time than around 30 years ago.      There was a time it was all between St.Andrews,  Carnoustie,  Muirfield,  Troon,  Turnberry,  St.Georges,  Lytham and Birkdale.     Now there's Hoylake and Portrush in the rota to water down number of Opens in Scotland.

Turnberry seems to be out of the question indefinitely for obvious reasons.

Lytham might go the same way but for different reasons. Really struggle for space.

Edited by Notts1874

Had a good laugh at Royal st George’s website yesterday. Jacket and tie mandatory after 11am 😂 and tailored shorts may be worn but must be accompanied by knee high socks. 😂

Seriously, gtf. 

Just now, Notts1874 said:

Turnberry seems to be out of the question indefinitely for obvious reasons.

Even worse then.    A great shame as it has been a superb venue in the past.

1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Had a good laugh at Royal st George’s website yesterday. Jacket and tie mandatory after 11am 😂 and tailored shorts may be worn but must be accompanied by knee high socks. 😂

Seriously, gtf. 

Tailored shorts + safari shirt and a pith helmet?     

Just now, Victorian said:

Very different course now as well. Used the coastline to much better effect.

7 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Seriously, gtf. 

I've been lucky/unlucky enough to play it. Couldn't stand the course but the lunch was lovely 😂😂😂

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I've been to all the Scottish venues to watch The Open and Turnberry is my favourite. Great vantage points for spectators. Total opposite to St Andrews in that regard, which is the worse

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I've been to all the Scottish venues to watch The Open and Turnberry is my favourite. Great vantage points for spectators. Total opposite to St Andrews in that regard, which is the worse

I've only watched the Open at Muirfield,  St.Andrews and Birkdale and of those,   Muirfield is the best.    Most of St.Andrews is quite flat around the greens,    a lot of which are enormous double greens.    Spectators are limited to the periphery of the course as well.