So David Moyes

pointon

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, jambonian said:

Neilson's time was up, he had to go. It's all very well reminding people about a game against Rangers or whatever but we lost a lot of late goals through poor substitutions, i.e. taking off an attacking type player to bring on a defensive one and struggled to cope late in games as the opposition attacked and attacked until they got something. The Hibs Cup game is a great, under Neilson example, being 2-0 up with less than 10 to go yet they get a replay and we're out. When we were trying to get the ball out of the danger zone there was no out ball (midfielder or attacker) to collect thus the ball returned constantly making it hard for our defenders. Our record against the likes of St Johnstone was an embarrassment, they had a record even the old firm would be proud of against us. And don't even mention the embarrassment of Europe.

The big problem wasn't Neilson leaving, it was not bringing in experience to help us consolidate. We were always going to slip down again despite the result against Rangers. The players we signed at the start kind of said to me we would be mid-table even before a ball was kicked. After the Cathro fiasco, we haven't really improved since. Still wasting money on players that are not utilised, dropped, loaned out or just not good enough in the first place. For every Naismith there's a couple of Vanaceks and Martins.

Neilson’s time was up after a Championship title win at his first go, a 3rd in the prem at his first go and on an unbeaten 5 game run and in 2nd when he left!

Jesus I’ve read it all now.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Beast Boy

• Jammy T

• Gambo

Ricardo Shillyshally
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Neilson’s time was up after a Championship title win at his first go, a 3rd in the prem at his first go and on an unbeaten 5 game run and in 2nd when he left!

Jesus I’ve read it all now.

His time was up after the cup disaster 

Guest ToqueJambo
31 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

So Neilson does badly in the cups and well in the league: Neilson oot

Levein does well in the cups and badly in the league: Levein oot

I don't think some folk will ever be happy watching Hearts if they expect us do do well in the cups and league every year.

Geoff Kilpatrick
45 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Incorrect. It was the pub team embarrassment that was his nadir.

Bazzas right boot

Another thread goes the same way. 

A minutes silence for another topic lost. 

Ricardo Shillyshally
55 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

So Neilson does badly in the cups and well in the league: Neilson oot

Levein does well in the cups and badly in the league: Levein oot

I don't think some folk will ever be happy watching Hearts if they expect us do do well in the cups and league every year.

The cup defeat was the apex of his negative approach. There was a growing discontent with his style football. The fact we've went back the way since is down to some poor decisions (cathro being the main one) not because Robbie was a footballing genius.

As for David Moyes no chance of him or anyone else replacing Levein unless it's due to health reasons.

12 hours ago, Gambo said:

4th place the week before, 2nd due to having played more games than others. Pumped out of Europe by a bunch of waiters and at that stage the football was on the wain.

I didn't mind Neilson as manager, until Levein intervened, we have went backwards ever since.

This is funny.

You really think RN did all that good stuff on his own without CL ? 

We wouldn’t have strolled the championship without CL and his contacts and player recommendations to RN.

All the work for that season was CL’s and RN was along for the ride imo gaining experience with a view to taking more control the following season.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

This is funny.

We wouldn’t have strolled the championship without CL and his contacts and player recommendations to RN.

All the work for that season was CL’s and RN was along for the ride imo gaining experience with a view to taking more control the following season.

I thought the rules were all the good stuff is credited to anyone but Levein and all the bad stuff is Levein’s fault . 

6 hours ago, jambonian said:

Neilson's time was up, he had to go. It's all very well reminding people about a game against Rangers or whatever but we lost a lot of late goals through poor substitutions, i.e. taking off an attacking type player to bring on a defensive one and struggled to cope late in games as the opposition attacked and attacked until they got something. The Hibs Cup game is a great, under Neilson example, being 2-0 up with less than 10 to go yet they get a replay and we're out. When we were trying to get the ball out of the danger zone there was no out ball (midfielder or attacker) to collect thus the ball returned constantly making it hard for our defenders. Our record against the likes of St Johnstone was an embarrassment, they had a record even the old firm would be proud of against us. And don't even mention the embarrassment of Europe.

The big problem wasn't Neilson leaving, it was not bringing in experience to help us consolidate. We were always going to slip down again despite the result against Rangers. The players we signed at the start kind of said to me we would be mid-table even before a ball was kicked. After the Cathro fiasco, we haven't really improved since. Still wasting money on players that are not utilised, dropped, loaned out or just not good enough in the first place. For every Naismith there's a couple of Vanaceks and Martins.

Excellent post. Fully agree. Although for every Naismith there is about 4 duds! 

On 17/06/2019 at 13:14, Gambo said:

Folk think we improved last season.?

We have went from 5th to 6th to 6th.

Wether the Craig Levein FC fans like it or not we got a free run to the final which we nearly blew.

Last season was supposed to be the season of no excuses, I think they used every excuse known.

From the point of view of the squad this time last year we were looking at a complete rebuild of 15-18 new players.

This year I think most would agree we only need 3-4 players who will ideally become 1st team starters. This, for me, indicates the squad as a whole has moved on massively from last year.

I’m sure, barring the horrific run of injuries to key players, we’d have finished at least 5th if not 4th...which whilst not what I’d aim for each year would have shown signs of moving in a more positive direction.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

The cup defeat was the apex of his negative approach. There was a growing discontent with his style football. The fact we've went back the way since is down to some poor decisions (cathro being the main one) not because Robbie was a footballing genius.

As for David Moyes no chance of him or anyone else replacing Levein unless it's due to health reasons.

You watched a different cup final to me if you thought we played negatively. We had our two main strikers out, a 70% fit central midfielder and a 16 year old at LB. How would you have played?

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

This is funny.

Also the small fact of Levein seeing Neilson's potential and appointing him in the first place.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Incorrect. It was the pub team embarrassment that was his nadir.

Amazing Rodgers didn't get his jotters after losing to some Gibralter fishermen and ice cream sellers. It's almost like every manager has bad results.

7 hours ago, jambonian said:

Yeah patience was running out with Neilson. I think in hindsight, the correct move would have been for Levein to step downstairs with Cathro coming in as #2 to stabilise the squad and bed in Neilsons successor. 

Difficult to say if that would have made Cathro a success, but I think it would have reduced the pressure on Cathro initially. I do get the feeling though that Levein did try to bring Cathro in earlier and we got caught in the too expensive to be a number 2, too inexperienced to be a number 1 situation. Had Cathro came in earlier or we had found some way of bringing him in as a coach to bed him in with the squad I think we might have stood a chance. 

The cup game I think marked breaking point with the fans patience for Neilson. I recall there being a lot of frustration about his downplaying of the derby and going from absolutely dominating them under Sergio and Locke, that was never going to be acceptable. 

I think as fans, we have standards but their not impossible to meet, beat hibs, qualify for europe and try and push on in the cups. Given our resources, thats not unreasonable.

Randy Marsh

Amazing Rodgers didn't get his jotters after losing to some Gibralter fishermen and ice cream sellers. It's almost like every manager has bad results.

They won the tie though. The 1-0 defeat was irrelevant.  We were absolutely humiliated that night.  Possibly the most embarrassing result in our history.  Don't try and dress it up.

Edited by Randy Marsh

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

They won the tie though. The 1-0 defeat was irrelevant.  We were absolutely humiliated that night.  Possibly the most embarrassing result in our history.  Don't try and dress it up.

Disagree. Had Bauben not missed a pen we could have easily won the tie against a team that beat west Ham in europe not long before.

it was shit but early round europe with a rookie European manager, a new team and no training shit.

More embarrassing than losing 6-2 to Hibs or getting pumped put the cup by Airdrie and any number of other teams? Ok then.

Edited by ToqueJambo

49 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Find a brick wall, RM, and headbutt it until you conk out. It's a much more constructive use of time than arguing with the "everything is fine under CL" punters. 

I know, I've just tried it. Hurts like feck at first but it's still a lot less painful than attempting to reason with the Levein devotees. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Did he lose over two legs?

Try again.

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Did he lose over two legs?

Try again.

Ah I see. Ok, well 3-1 against part timers who play on a rock is still infinitely more embarrassing than anything robbie neilson did while at hearts. Rodgers a top manager too with a squad costing millions.

Guest ToqueJambo
45 minutes ago, martoon said:

Find a brick wall, RM, and headbutt it until you conk out. It's a much more constructive use of time than arguing with the "everything is fine under CL" punters. 

I know, I've just tried it. Hurts like feck at first but it's still a lot less painful than attempting to reason with the Levein devotees. 

We’re talking about neilson but you bash on.

Geoff Kilpatrick
13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Ah I see. Ok, well 3-1 against part timers who play on a rock is still infinitely more embarrassing than anything robbie neilson did while at hearts. Rodgers a top manager too with a squad costing millions.

By that logic, only beating Auchinleck 1-0 en route to 5-1 is infinitely more embarrassing.

Deary me.

Bridge of Djoum
11 hours ago, jambonian said:

Congrats, mate. Top 5 pile of shite right there. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

By that logic, only beating Auchinleck 1-0 en route to 5-1 is infinitely more embarrassing.

Deary me.

I seem to have fallen into an alternate universe where a first leg defeat isn't actually a defeat. And where Auchinleck Talbot beat us in a non existent first leg. Dearie me.

Guest ToqueJambo
58 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I wish I would just reply in a concise but to the point way like that ? instead of getting reeled in and acting like these folk really are Hearts fans interested in chatting about their team and willing to see some positive things about their own team.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I wish I would just reply in a concise but to the point way like that ? instead of getting reeled in and acting like these folk really are Hearts fans interested in chatting about their team and willing to see some positive things about their own team.

Nah, mate. I enjoy reading your posts. At least you use facts to position an argument and form opinion. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I seem to have fallen into an alternate universe where a first leg defeat isn't actually a defeat. And where Auchinleck Talbot beat us in a non existent first leg. Dearie me.

You're the one claiming a one-off defeat which didn't matter in the end was infinitely more embarrassing. I'm sure Septic fans sucked up that abuse and laughed about it when they had 6 games in the Champions League.

PS To explain slowly, they ended up winning. We lost.

9 hours ago, DH1986 said:

This is funny.

Who said that?

I think Neilson was doing fine with Levein there to lean on if need be, as it should have been.

Then things started to go wrong and Levein stuck his oar in (Aberdeen game at home) and that was the beginning of the end for Neilson. Imo.

Levein has done some good he has also done some bad, the Craig Levein FC fans can't accept that he has done bad at times and they hound anyone on here who says as much.

Ricardo Shillyshally
7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

You watched a different cup final to me if you thought we played negatively. We had our two main strikers out, a 70% fit central midfielder and a 16 year old at LB. How would you have played?

You read a different post to the one I typed if you thought I was on about Levein.

Try harder next time.

9 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Who said that?

I think Neilson was doing fine with Levein there to lean on if need be, as it should have been.

Then things started to go wrong and Levein stuck his oar in (Aberdeen game at home) and that was the beginning of the end for Neilson. Imo.

Levein has done some good he has also done some bad, the Craig Levein FC fans can't accept that he has done bad at times and they hound anyone on here who says as much.

Lean on ?

I think you’ve underestimated CL’s involvement in Season 1. And if your honest the best football we’ve played since then was the first quarter of last season.

We were top for a dozen games or so and flying. Mistakes were made in the recruitment department which ultimately led to things the season collapsing when we incurred several injuries.

There are folk on here that are as Pro-CL as you are Anti-CL.

Calebs Grandad
On 17/06/2019 at 17:51, Perth to Paisley said:

He was originally given a 6 year contract at Man Utd which is probably just about to expire! 

Good point so it’s us or signing on next Monday ?

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Lean on ?

I think you’ve underestimated CL’s involvement in Season 1. And if your honest the best football we’ve played since then was the first quarter of last season.

We were top for a dozen games or so and flying. Mistakes were made in the recruitment department which ultimately led to things the season collapsing when we incurred several injuries.

There are folk on here that are as Pro-CL as you are Anti-CL.

I'm not anti Craig Levein, I am pro Heart of Midlothian FC.

I'd like nothing better than for Craig Levein to be a success as that = Hearts being a success, unfortunately no matter what excuses you throw in the last couple of seasons have not been successful.

Edited by Gambo

11 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Style (pretty football) more important than substance (position in the league). Good stuff.

As an addendum we had played some fantastic football in the games preceding Neilson leaving with Djoum and Johnsen really coming onto form in an exciting way against Motherwell and Rangers in particular.

Neilson’s time most certainly was not up - and as has been pointed out the hypocrisy of those that complained about Neilson and now complain about Levein is quite frankly embarrassing for anyone that falls into that camp.

Edited by Jammy T

22 hours ago, jambonian said:

11 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Your reply would be number one then.

All that's posted there I saw with my own eyes, and a few others saw the same it would seem but you keep burying your head in the sand and insulting other posters' points of view if you must. Takes all sorts don't you knooow!

Ricardo Shillyshally
8 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Style (pretty football) more important than substance (position in the league). Good stuff.

The only person thats said that is you.

We will never know where we would have ended in the league under Robbie. The season just past is a prime examp!e of what can happen/change

The European defeat and the cup exit to Hibs alongside the negative football in the top division erroded much of the goodwill gained under a wonderful promotion season.

10 hours ago, Gambo said:

I'm not anti Craig Levein, I am pro Heart of Midlothian FC.

I'd like nothing better than for Craig Levein to be a success as that = Hearts being a success, unfortunately no matter what excuses you throw in the last couple of seasons have not been successful.

?

No need to say anymore

Guest ToqueJambo
12 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

You read a different post to the one I typed if you thought I was on about Levein.

Try harder next time.

Ah we're talking about Neilson?

You think Neilson was negative? Sure, after losing Sow and failing to replace him he lost faith in our strikers and did lean towards not losing. Once Big Bjorn found his feet we played more attacking and started scoring again... resulting in a 5 game unbeaten run with a a lot of goals (unfortunately our defence started giving up bad goals at the same time for the first time really under Neilson) and a good defeat of Rangers before he left.

Under Neilson we scored a lot of goals and created a lot of chances for most of his time as manager. He also had a knack for getting goals from all over the pitch. Paterson and Walker scored for fun under Neilson. Djoum had his best scoring period under him to, after previously only really playing a deeper role at his other clubs. Sow hasn't scored anywhere near as many as he did at Hearts. And even someone considered a probable failure like Juanma got over 10 goals which has been rare for us for some time pre-Neilson.

Not a negative manager in my book.

Edited by ToqueJambo

TommiGronlund

David moyes ???

I would be stunned if this was to be true... How much would if want with regards to salary? Wage and transfer budget too... Probs more then we can afford

19 minutes ago, TommiGronlund said:

David moyes ???

I would be stunned if this was to be true... How much would if want with regards to salary? Wage and transfer budget too... Probs more then we can afford

No shit Sherlock.

We will never know where we would have ended in the league under Robbie. The season just past is a prime examp!e of what can happen/change

The European defeat and the cup exit to Hibs alongside the negative football in the top division erroded much of the goodwill gained under a wonderful promotion season.

We’ll never know where we would have ended up in the league last season without injuries to every one of our key players 

The last time I looked Neilson’s style of football had us second in the league.

The season before people confidently predicted. Neilson would see us in the bottom six after a good start.

We were third.

Which is pathetic because Neilson had us doing everything in the league that people were demanding of Levein.

Those that have clarity of thought can see the sheer hypocrisy.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Which is pathetic because Neilson had us doing everything in the league that people were demanding of Levein.

Those that have clarity of thought can see the sheer hypocrisy.

Everything except our cup form, which Levein turned around (except an easy draw doesn't count apparently). Obviously this season went to shit but Levein also initially had us doing better in derbies and away games, again which is what people were demanding of Neilson.

So basically we need Neilson as head coach and Levein as Dof or assistant or some sort of mash-up of the two (I await the Photoshoppers). Sorted!

Edited by ToqueJambo

Geoff Kilpatrick
56 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Everything except our cup form, which Levein turned around (except an easy draw doesn't count apparently). Obviously this season went to shit but Levein also initially had us doing better in derbies and away games, again which is what people were demanding of Neilson.

So basically we need Neilson as head coach and Levein as Dof or assistant or some sort of mash-up of the two (I await the Photoshoppers). Sorted!

If that were true, fans who were calling for Levein's head would also have been calling for Neilson's return.

Er....

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

If that were true, fans who were calling for Levein's head would also have been calling for Neilson's return.

Er....

Point is if some Hearts fans are not happy with a Championship title in the hardest Championship probably ever (certainly harder than the ones Hibs, Rangers and D Utd struggled to get out of by comparison), then a 3rd in our manager's first season managing at that level and then heading for another 3rd the next season (which almost never happens unless you are called Craig Levein in the early 2000s), plus being top or nearly top goalscorer in the country two years in a row during that time, they are never going to be happy with any manager we get, ever.

There is much more reason to want Levein out, but the calls for Neilson to be sacked after, what, two genuinely bad results vs Hibs and in Europe in 2.5 years, was one of the most stupid things I've ever seen as a Hearts fan. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Geoff Kilpatrick

Point is if some Hearts fans are not happy with a Championship title in the hardest Championship probably ever (certainly harder than the ones Hibs, Rangers and D Utd struggled to get out of by comparison), then a 3rd in our manager's first season managing at that level and then heading for another 3rd the next season (which almost never happens unless you are called Craig Levein in the early 2000s), plus being top or nearly top goalscorer in the country two years in a row during that time, they are never going to be happy with any manager we get, ever.

There is much more reason to want Levein out, but the calls for Neilson to be sacked after, what, two genuinely bad results vs Hibs and in Europe in 2.5 years, was one of the most stupid things I've ever seen as a Hearts fan. 

That's your opinion. Nevertheless, let's remember that Neilson left of his own volition and there hasn't been any kind of bandwagon to get him back from any quarter.

gowestjambo
16 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

He had plenty of bad results with MK Dons, thats why he failed there. They couldnt wait to get rid of him and Stevie Crawford. They complained he was negative and his football boring. I for one was not unhappy when he left Hearts.

Mind you with a 1.2 milliion pay off he didnt do too badly...........

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

He had plenty of bad results with MK Dons, thats why he failed there. They couldnt wait to get rid of him and Stevie Crawford. They complained he was negative and his football boring. I for one was not unhappy when he left Hearts.

Mind you with a 1.2 milliion pay off he didnt do too badly...........

I'm judging him by what he did for us and he did an excellent job.