Fifa Women's World Cup

Maroon Sailor

Diadora Van Basten

I think Shelley Kerr has done a very good job.

Anyone who witnessed the 6-0 defeat by England a couple of years ago can see the massive improvement in the team. Shelley Kerr has put together a very good side who ran rings round England in the second half, had Japan on the rack and were brilliant against Argentina. Unfortunately when you play against stronger teams you need a little luck and they suffered a huge amount of bad luck. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tommy Brown
17 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think Shelley Kerr has done a very good job.

Anyone who witnessed the 6-0 defeat by England a couple of years ago can see the massive improvement in the team. Shelley Kerr has put together a very good side who ran rings round England in the second half, had Japan on the rack and were brilliant against Argentina. Unfortunately when you play against stronger teams you need a little luck and they suffered a huge amount of bad luck. 

This. SK will have learned massively through this experience also.

The clueless on this thread calling for her sacking. Her tactics were to contain and keep energy levels high.

When we did the opposite in the last game we ran out of steam (mentally and physically) and harsh refereeing. 

The majority are now benefitting from playing top level professional. We need more to cut it at this level.

So, I am now happy to see Hearts involved in the development of the women's game ( much to the disgust to some on here). We are 3rd biggest club in Scotland, we should be involved.

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

:thumbsup:

Good to see so many on here focusing on the mess Kerr made of things. Refereeing shambles or no, VAR or no, that Scotland side should've got through the group - despite it being a very tough draw. Going so negative against England and Japan was bewildering; her paralysis against Argentina was fallible and, ultimately, fatal.

Does that mean she could go? Malinga, naturally, has called for that - but Malinga's so incredibly full of hate towards everything and everyone all the time, that's not exactly the shock of the century. I'd be surprised if he's watched a single Scotland women's match before this tournament. When a Scotland manager matches the best Scotland have ever done at any major tournament - ie. goes out in the groups - no, she shouldn't go. What a nonsense.

What she needs to do instead, like all the players, is learn. Lose the "we wuz robbed" narrative, and focus on all the mistakes they made; on what they can do to get better. This side has potential; quite a lot of it in fact. And much of that is because of the job Kerr did before these finals. 

As it was, like most Scotland teams at World Cup Finals, it was the usual befuddling mixture of bravery, incompetence, hope, misfortune and heartbreak. These women certainly won't need any DNA testing; they're Scottish to their very core.

And before anyone points it out: England are also playing exactly to type. Wildly over-hyped, frequently inept, and we'll be following Scotland through the exit door before much longer. We won't make the semis. Provided they get past Norway first, a rude shock awaits against the Aussies.

Oh here we go again .... England will get knocked out next match blah, blah. You tried that psychology last year and thankfully it failed in the end despite being handed (thanks to happily losing to Belgium) the easiest route to a World Cup final ever !

England's route is quite similar in this tournament

Edited by Maroon Sailor

11 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I see it has been announced that goalkeepers in the women's world cup will no longer be booked for coming off their line at a penalty. It has been deemed with VAR in use booking would be seen as a double whammy. 

I woder which of the big guns left in the tournament complained behind the scenes at this?

Making it up as they go along. Almost beyond parody.

A yellow card offence is now no longer a yellow card offence because it might distort the game. 

6 minutes ago, leginten said:

Making it up as they go along. Almost beyond parody.

A yellow card offence is now no longer a yellow card offence because it might distort the game. 

I think it's to prevent a total farce of keepers being sent off in penalty shoot outs.

Not sure what that would mean if all subs have been used. Kick into an open goal. 

Nookie Bear
16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Oh here we go again .... England will get knocked out next match blah, blah. You tried that psychology last year and thankfully it failed in the end despite being handed (thanks to happily losing to Belgium) the easiest route to a World Cup final ever !

England's route is quite similar in this tournament

Basically he got stuck into Scotland and a poster on here and thought “oops, I had better write something humble about England to make sure I maintain their respect”. 

Despite calling Scottish fans “dickheads” on Twitter. 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Basically he got stuck into Scotland and a poster on here and thought “oops, I had better write something humble about England to make sure I maintain their respect”. 

Aye - pretty much

He likes to be patronising as well

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think it's to prevent a total farce of keepers being sent off in penalty shoot outs.

Not sure what that would mean if all subs have been used. Kick into an open goal. 

I realise that. But coming off your line is either a yellow card offence or it isn’t. Are there any other laws of the game we would like to see suspended for penalty shoot-outs? FIFA has made itself look incredibly stupid and has also left itself open to accusations of caving in to lobbying from the nations that have made it through to the last sixteen.

I dare say they won’t be displeased that the application of the new law in the group phase played a role in the exit of one of the smaller nations and in a victory for the home nation. It’ll be interesting to see if it is applied should France or the USA face a penalty in normal time in this tournament.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, leginten said:

I realise that. But coming off your line is either a yellow card offence or it isn’t. Are there any other laws of the game we would like to see suspended for penalty shoot-outs? FIFA has made itself look incredibly stupid and has also left itself open to accusations of caving in to lobbying from the nations that have made it through to the last sixteen.

I dare say they won’t be displeased that the application of the new law in the group phase played a role in the exit of one of the smaller nations and in a victory for the home nation. It’ll be interesting to see if it is applied should France or the USA face a penalty in normal time in this tournament.

Your last paragraph is what I await to happen. The fallout if it does happen to the likes of France, USA, England, Brazil, Germany will will be off the richer scale.

Diadora Van Basten
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Your last paragraph is what I await to happen. The fallout if it does happen to the likes of France, USA, England, Brazil, Germany will will be off the richer scale.

Agree with the above but annoyed that Scotland were collateral damage.

John Findlay
12 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Agree with the above but annoyed that Scotland were collateral damage.

Yes. Can't but think we were the patsy's in this competition.

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Jeezo, it was only reading your post that made me read that slavering eejits words as I thought it might have referred to me, and it did. Still, if it annoyed the self anointed chief troller of Scottish folk, then I don't really care. Hopefully he will get involved in some other Twitter spat with a celebrity that will mean he can spend less time on here telling us where and why we are wrong on every single subject.

Don''t even care if England do well in this tournament as other than commentator, the pundits have been fairly down to earth with comments and the players seem okay.

Still think US will win it though.

52 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Nigeria keeper behind the line this time for the Germany penalty

German feet in the box as penalty taken.

18 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

They have a problem

If they have penalty shoot outs there could be chaos. 

If a goalkeeper is sent off during the shoot out what would they do? 

I see the EPL will not be using VAR to assess the taking of penalties. 

Never understood when VAR became about yellow card offences anyway? 

Maroon Sailor

Soon as they tell the ref to look at it you know it's going to be the reverse of the original onfield decision

Edited by Maroon Sailor

John Findlay

No penalty for me. Ball it the upper part of her right breast. I saw that with the naked eye.

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

This is a decent contest. Evenly matched teams

Norway are fantastic on the counter, so much pace.

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Handball by Norway in the box but not even checking it

Also a really late tackle preceding the offside goal. Should have been pulled back.

Absolutely cracking game, though.

This is the game of the tournament for me. Perpetual motion and non-stop attacking intent from Australia. Brilliant defence from Norway. Fitness levels astonishing on both sides. 

John Findlay

Now for me that was a penalty for Australia. Norwegian defender took the Australian clean out.

Maroon Sailor

So unlucky for Norway - thought it was in before it hit the post and then thought it was going in off the post ! Right along the line

Good game.

Some of the players are technically very good.

I'm wondering if VAR has been told to rein it back a bit now.  A few of those claims should have been penalties.

Edited by Lovecraft

Maroon Sailor

Going to be a tough one to take whoever gets knocked out

Red Card Australia

Maroon Sailor

That would have been some goal for Norway. Good shot hitting off the bar

Norway should make the extra woman count

Maroon Sailor

FS how is that not a corner - clear save from the Aussie keeper

The officials seem to be useless in this tournament

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

FS how is that not a corner - clear save from the Aussie keeper

The officials seem to be useless in this tournament

Yeah.  The officiating has been poor.

Probably the only let down of the competition so far.

Maroon Sailor

All these chances for Norway in this period of extra time - may kangaroo them

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

She's a great example of a modern number 10

I think she is probably the best player I have seen so far in the tournament.

Cuthbert and Emslie looked really good too.

Kerr has been let down with the other players around her tonight.

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

All these chances for Norway in this period of extra time - may kangaroo them

:isee:

Can’t wait for the penalty shoot-out. Maybe it’ll be like a gig where the band does too many encores and the venue management unplugs the amplification. Some wee man in overalls will switch the floodlights off at midnight while VAR is checking the goalie’s feet on the fourth penalty.

Maroon Sailor

Aussie's could have won it there and then Norway could have scrambled in the winner !

Best match of the tournament

Footballfirst

Norway would have a great chance of going all the way in the tournament, if they had their best striker available in Ada Hegerberg. Sadly she is in dispute with the Norwegian federation. She won the women's Ballon D'Or, and scored a hat trick in the womens Chapions League final for Lyon.

Malinga the Swinga

Norway v Australia has been an excellent watch. Both teams given absolutely everything and whoever loses can consider themselves unlucky.

Certainly be interesting to watch keepers at shoot out.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Norway would have a great chance of going all the way in the tournament, if they had their best striker available in Ada Hegerberg. Sadly she is in dispute with the Norwegian federation. She won the women's Ballon D'Or, and scored a hat trick in the womens Chapions League final for Lyon.

Ahhhhh.  I read about the woman that quit.  Never realised she was Norwegian.

I thought it was a protest about equal pay?

Real shame to miss the tournament.

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Aye but could she do it on a rainy Tuesday night in Dundee?