Fifa Women's World Cup

Maroon Sailor

Dusk_Till_Dawn
17 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Tactical errors certainly - but what does "bottle job" actually mean? Scotland defenders made errors which led to the goals (aided by the ref obviously), but I don't think their attitude or mentality was an issue.

They completely lost their nerve. Look at the contrast between England when it went 2-1 against Scotland, and Scotland when it went 3-1 against Argentina.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whether it's good or not Argentina missed out on qualifying by 95th minute winning goal by Cameroon. 

Amazing. 

Brazil, China, Nigeria, Cameroon the 3rd place qualifiers. Scotland would have qualified if not for the penalty.

Edited by Mikey1874

TyphoonJambo
34 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Not sure if that’s tongue in cheek. Gender isn’t the issue

No not gender but experience at this level. At this moment in history its still sits more with the male gender. Give it a few more years, with the inevitable rise of professional ladies team and it will shift. For the moment though, there's more experienced male coaches than female. 

TyphoonJambo
43 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

France, USA Holland Germany all female coaches. So you are talking nonsense.

Sorry, didn't do my research so ill take that back. 

Hackney Hearts
31 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

They completely lost their nerve. 

No they didn't. They were too cocky if anything - it was tactically naive to keep going for a 4th when Argentina found fresh impetus. It led to pressure at the back and individual errors. And the reason England didn't concede further when pegged back to 2-1 is probably because they have better defenders than Scotland.

132goals1958
5 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

No they didn't. They were too cocky if anything - it was tactically naive to keep going for a 4th when Argentina found fresh impetus. It led to pressure at the back and individual errors. And the reason England didn't concede further when pegged back to 2-1 is probably because they have better defenders than Scotland.

Apparently we scored 5 brilliant goals at the tournament and the nation should be proud. That is according to our First Minister and echoed throughout the chamber today, Nothing about achieving 1 point from nine and losing a three goal lead. When we change the mind set we might achieve something.

3 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Apparently we scored 5 brilliant goals at the tournament and the nation should be proud. That is according to our First Minister and echoed throughout the chamber today, Nothing about achieving 1 point from nine and losing a three goal lead. When we change the mind set we might achieve something.

You don't know what the mindset is in the squad.

There is a patronising attitude to the women so you have a point.

But they are gutted so it's not a glorious failure for them. They have improved. First ever World Cup and small margins in one of toughest groups. So there is a lot to be happy about. 

colinmaroon
8 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

You can slag the men but, don't you dare . . . !!!

11 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Come on we are all disappointed but considering the pish we have to listen to about England before they even play. Pearce was shouting Yessss when they scored on commentary. Its nice to at least give a bit of a compliment to our womens team. They will know themselves they ballsed it up. However we can still rightly chin the ref and VAR in amongst that.

132goals1958
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Come on we are all disappointed but considering the pish we have to listen to about England before they even play. Pearce was shouting Yessss when they scored on commentary. Its nice to at least give a bit of a compliment to our womens team. They will know themselves they ballsed it up. However we can still rightly chin the ref and VAR in amongst that.

I think we should strike a balance. They competed well particularly in the first two games but to say we were brilliant is slightly over egging it.

Bazzas right boot

A penalty shot out could take a long time and have folk sent off all over the shop if the rules are applied as strict as they have been during a pk. 

Offside goal given for USA after VAR pulls it up. 

This is farcical.

Ref watched that clip about 6 or 7 times and couldn't decide, joke imo.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Offside goal given for USA after VAR pulls it up. 

This is farcical.

Ref watched that clip about 6 or 7 times and couldn't decide, joke imo.

It was a clear offside in the build up. They're playing by a whole set of alternative rules.

Bazzas right boot

The refs have ruined this a bit tbh. 

Needs called out. 

How you can watch things 3/4/7 times and still get it wrong is a joke. 

VAR is OK imo, but the refs need to quicker and the rules for it's use more stricter. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

It was a clear offside in the build up. They're playing by a whole set of alternative rules.

Seem to be. 

Shame, spoiled a few games. 

Oxford City

Why do I suspect that the goal would have been chalked off had it been scored at the other end?

VAR is just being used to further help out the bigger teams. Which is why we should be very worried about it coming in here.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It would of been given as the ref would have decided she wasnt interfering with play... VAR is all subjective and thats why its a mess

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Oxford City said:

Why do I suspect that the goal would have been chalked off had it been scored at the other end?

VAR is just being used to further help out the bigger teams. Which is why we should be very worried about it coming in here.

We need a VAR watching the VAR - a VAR-VAR

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, sadj said:

It would of been given as the ref would have decided she wasnt interfering with play... VAR is all subjective and thats why its a mess

Makes no sense - the ball got played to a player who was offside and clearly involved in the play. Flag should have gone up. Or they should have seen it in VAR and given it as an offside in the build up. Otherwise, why was VAR called in the first place? The scorer wasn't offside.

FIFA are quite lucky here because they're really trying to promote this and coaches/managers aren't really under much pressure and aren't losing the plot. Imagine this nonsense being dished out on a weekly basis in either the EPL or the SPFhell.

Saying that, no way will the EPL put up with this Shit, this nonsense would upset the brand, as we know FIFA don't really care to much about that. 

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, Oxford City said:

VAR is fine imo if used correctly. 

What It is s showing that the standard of officiating is poor and/or the rules are not clear enough for the officials to interpretate clearly enough to implement with any consistency. 

It's showing up the officials more than anything else. 

Which although not the intended purpose is a good thing. 

Eleminate the shite over the long term. 

The lines women missed an offside, the ref looked at it numerous times and still got it wrong. 

colinmaroon

7 minutes extra time in this one really puts that shambolic referee from last night in perspective.

Check her cupboards for a stockpile of Fray Bentos tins.

Diadora Van Basten
49 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

VAR is fine imo if used correctly. 

What It is s showing that the standard of officiating is poor and/or the rules are not clear enough for the officials to interpretate clearly enough to implement with any consistency. 

It's showing up the officials more than anything else. 

Which although not the intended purpose is a good thing. 

Eleminate the shite over the long term. 

The lines women missed an offside, the ref looked at it numerous times and still got it wrong. 

I watch the MLS and VAR works pretty well . The US goal tonight should have been chalked off but you knew it wouldn’t be.

Maroon Sailor
58 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

7 minutes extra time in this one really puts that shambolic referee from last night in perspective.

Check her cupboards for a stockpile of Fray Bentos tins.

Fray Bentos is in Uruguay

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Whether it's good or not Argentina missed out on qualifying by 95th minute winning goal by Cameroon. 

Amazing. 

Brazil, China, Nigeria, Cameroon the 3rd place qualifiers. Scotland would have qualified if not for the penalty.

Chile would have ko’d Argentina and Cameroon would have been sixth best also ran had it not been for Cameroon’s winner. A draw was almost certainly going to be of no use to Argentina with Cameroon and Chile knowing what they had to do, particularly with Chile facing Thailand. 

Maroon Sailor

Quite like the 4 best 3rd place teams go through

Puts something on the final group matches

Scotland got knocked out of Italia 90 in dramatic fashion by an injury time winner for Uruguay - no surprise there then

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Quite like the 4 best 3rd place teams go through

Puts something on the final group matches

Scotland got knocked out of Italia 90 in dramatic fashion by an injury time winner for Uruguay - no surprise there then

A 97th minute winner.

8 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’ve heard a lot said about VAR and the referee, and rightly so. But nowhere near enough about the abject bottle job which ensued and the coach’s glaring tactical errors.

True, but let's hear your(English) views, if or when England lose to VAR. Now that's gonna be interesting.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

True, but let's hear your(English) views, if or when England lose to VAR. Now that's gonna be interesting.

England won’t lose because of VAR. They’ll lose because they’re not as good as they think they are.

gashauskis9

The Thai keeper is a ****ing legend.  Genuinely looks like they’ve just drafted in a lassie to make up the numbers.

HeartofIron
25 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

England won’t lose because of VAR. They’ll lose because they’re not as good as they think they are.

I wonder if English fans will now get BONSEGUNDO on the back of their England shirts and sing about how she put Scotland Out Out Out  

Or, if like most other non virgins, they wont actually care about a match they didn't play in? 

1 hour ago, HeartofIron said:

I wonder if English fans will now get BONSEGUNDO on the back of their England shirts and sing about how she put Scotland Out Out Out  

Or, if like most other non virgins, they wont actually care about a match they didn't play in? 

Good post mate, well called for.

Is trolling allowed on here now?

Ignoring England is the better strategy 

However when they go out the normal pleasantries can be resumed.

They have generally ignored Scotland but there were a few comments yesterday about the penalty save they wouldn't make about the England keeper. 

Tommy Brown
13 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

You don't know what the mindset is in the squad.

There is a patronising attitude to the women so you have a point.

But they are gutted so it's not a glorious failure for them. They have improved. First ever World Cup and small margins in one of toughest groups. So there is a lot to be happy about. 

well said Mikey.

i thought Scotland played very well and should continue to improve with experience. really enjoyed their performances.

certainly have won me over to be a fan.

I was genuinely pissed at the way the game ended (var & timekeeping). look forward to the Euros, hopefully they can qualify.

maybe not looked hard enough, but Scottish Sun & Daily Record reporting of the games (particularly this week) has been really poor.

20 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

I think we should strike a balance. They competed well particularly in the first two games but to say we were brilliant is slightly over egging it.

Indeed - We looked good in the last 20 of the first 2 games once they were already lost, and the first 70 of the last game, when ironically it looked like they had it won...

The squad was clearly very very unbalanced with good players in midfield and up front and utter rubbish at the back.

I was hard on Kerr for trying to protect the back 4 and losing the first 2 games before a ball was kicked but the last 20 against Argentina showed that she was right, as at least 3 of the back 4 were utter guff, and the goalkeeper was Jekyll and Hyde...

Tommy Brown
26 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Indeed - We looked good in the last 20 of the first 2 games once they were already lost, and the first 70 of the last game, when ironically it looked like they had it won...

The squad was clearly very very unbalanced with good players in midfield and up front and utter rubbish at the back.

I was hard on Kerr for trying to protect the back 4 and losing the first 2 games before a ball was kicked but the last 20 against Argentina showed that she was right, as at least 3 of the back 4 were utter guff, and the goalkeeper was Jekyll and Hyde...

Extremely harsh on Lee Alexander.  Failing to tip the ball over at the 2nd was about all she did questionable.

Bear in mind her height. Woman aren't blessed with 6foot plus frames.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Extremely harsh on Lee Alexander.  Failing to tip the ball over at the 2nd was about all she did questionable.

And she made some great saves keeping us in the first 2 games.

John Findlay

The weakest part of the team has been the defence. It was the same in qualifying. We only qualified directly because the Swiss failed to defeat the Poles in their last qualifying game.

Goalkeeping. Not many Scots lassies going around tha are 5ft 9 and over. 

Overall I thought Leigh Alexander in goal had more positives than negatives and her double save at the Argentine penalty was one of the best in the tournament to date. We lost a 3 goal lead because of inexperience and individual errors. It was one of the Subs Howard who committed the foul that gave the penalty. A penalty that for me didn't require VAR. 

It was our first world cup. We were in a group with the beaten semi finalist, England and beaten finalist, Japan from four years ago. Bearing in mind two years ago we played England in our first opening game of the Euros and got trounced 6-0. Getting beat 2-1 very narrowly this time to me shows the progress the women's team have made for me. 

No one will convince me otherwise that we were shafted by the officials against Japan.

13 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

She failed to stand up for Japan's second, it went straight through her. Admittedly that big lump Beattie shyed away from the block and may have left her unsighted.  I may have been a little harsh, but she was not a keeper that instilled confidence in her team - she would make the intitial save but the ball would still be in play and someone would have to get to the second ball. I do have some sympathy with her because her defence were atrocious. Let's be honest they were lucky to only be 2-0 after 70 mins against England and particularly Japan...

Malinga the Swinga

Watched all of Scotland's games, watched Enlgland games apart from Japan one and watched loads of others. The only game I can recollect that had debatable decisions that were not referred to VAR was Scotland v Japan where we were,denied a stonewall penalty for handball and possibly another for a trip that was similar to one awarded against us for Argentina.

i just wish FIFA would have the bollocks to come out and explain why these decisions were not subject to the same process as every other one. The silence reeks of corruption to ensure Japan were able to qualify.

John Findlay

I see it has been announced that goalkeepers in the women's world cup will no longer be booked for coming off their line at a penalty. It has been deemed with VAR in use booking would be seen as a double whammy. 

I woder which of the big guns left in the tournament complained behind the scenes at this?

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I see it has been announced that goalkeepers in the women's world cup will no longer be booked for coming off their line at a penalty. It has been deemed with VAR in use booking would be seen as a double whammy. 

I woder which of the big guns left in the tournament complained behind the scenes at this?

They have a problem

If they have penalty shoot outs there could be chaos. 

If a goalkeeper is sent off during the shoot out what would they do? 

I see the EPL will not be using VAR to assess the taking of penalties. 

Portable Badger
5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Maybe we should take a leaf out of UK Athletics - they scour the country looking for talents/attributes then get them to focus on a specific sport where they'd be really good.  Egs. Ex-sprinters converting to Bobsleigh cos of their initial explosive power.  Find 6''+ girls who can dive about, without looking like a complete *****, and convince them to be a keeper or play rugby.

18 hours ago, HeartofIron said:

Oh Diego Maradona, Oh Diego Maradona, Oh Diego Maradona, he put the English, OUT!, OUT! OUT!

Big for Diego. ?

jamtartan74
27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Oh Diego Maradona, Oh Diego Maradona, Oh Diego Maradona, he put the English, OUT!, OUT! OUT!

Big for Diego. ?

You put your left hand in left hand out left hand in and shake it all about you do the maradona and you turn around HE put the English OUT!!! ?? ohhhhh Diego Maradona ? ???????

shaun.lawson
21 hours ago, HeartofIron said:

:thumbsup:

Good to see so many on here focusing on the mess Kerr made of things. Refereeing shambles or no, VAR or no, that Scotland side should've got through the group - despite it being a very tough draw. Going so negative against England and Japan was bewildering; her paralysis against Argentina was fallible and, ultimately, fatal.

Does that mean she could go? Malinga, naturally, has called for that - but Malinga's so incredibly full of hate towards everything and everyone all the time, that's not exactly the shock of the century. I'd be surprised if he's watched a single Scotland women's match before this tournament. When a Scotland manager matches the best Scotland have ever done at any major tournament - ie. goes out in the groups - no, she shouldn't go. What a nonsense.

What she needs to do instead, like all the players, is learn. Lose the "we wuz robbed" narrative, and focus on all the mistakes they made; on what they can do to get better. This side has potential; quite a lot of it in fact. And much of that is because of the job Kerr did before these finals. 

As it was, like most Scotland teams at World Cup Finals, it was the usual befuddling mixture of bravery, incompetence, hope, misfortune and heartbreak. These women certainly won't need any DNA testing; they're Scottish to their very core.

And before anyone points it out: England are also playing exactly to type. Wildly over-hyped, frequently inept, and we'll be following Scotland through the exit door before much longer. We won't make the semis. Provided they get past Norway first, a rude shock awaits against the Aussies.

3 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

You put your left hand in left hand out left hand in and shake it all about you do the maradona and you turn around HE put the English OUT!!! ?? ohhhhh Diego Maradona ? ???????

:yas:

:D