Levein In!

R08813

9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Doddle is the perfect example. Didn’t get us out of Div 2 in first season, promoted as runners-up in second season, then had a 5th and a 7th in the top league whilst building a squad. We all know what happened next. A lot of folks on here would have punted him after year1, or maybe year 2, definitely after years 3 and 4. 

Not just doddie, JJ too and Levein. We’ve had more success giving managers time than being a hire em fire em club. The last couple of years have also proven that.

Levein has a good season left in him I’m sure of that. It looked like it could be this season until injries cut us down, but a cup semi and final and 6th is still very much an above average season.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil Dunphy

• Pasquale for King

• JamboAl

• soonbe110

Vlad Magic
15 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

You asked me a question and I answered it.

Next time structure the question to fit your agenda.

OK smart arse.

I specifically said top 6 with a semi final and a final on their CV which obviously related to Levein THIS season.

Would you care to revise the names in your post?

Edited by Vlad Magic

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Yes. When a team shows a lack of form, resembling Hearts since November, they usually do shift the manager on.

Do you even pay attention to football outside of Edinburgh?

And how many of them actually get any better results after moving them on? 

Dont think Dundee, St.Mirren, Hamilton, Falkirk, Berwick, of the top of my head, league position changed this season after moving on the guy they started the season with.  

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah and then it fell apart when teams got used to us, inevitably injuries came and he couldn’t stop the rot. 

Teams like Man City and Liverpool press teams no matter who they’re playing. They have players who can adapt to different styles if required, we don’t and the ones we do clearly suit playing in the way did on Saturday. We’ve shown how well we can do it against the best team in the country and if the defence hadn’t made two bad mistakes we would still be drunk.

Why doesn’t every team press the opposition then? Sounds easy the way you portray it. 

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Dont think Dundee, St.Mirren, Hamilton, Falkirk, Berwick, of the top of my head, league position changed this season after moving on the guy they started the season with.  

When would you move a manager on? What criteria?

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolute nonsense, have any of those teams spent money like the £500k we used for Claire and Wighton. Shit like Lafferty/Naismith/Berra? Our budget is much bigger than Kilmarnocks, whether you can accept it us neither here nor there. We also have a higher budget than Hibs, slightly behind Aberdeen but that will change next season. Maybe instead of buying 20 (113 in 5 years) players we could sign ten and get better quality, and use the youths more as they’ve been encouraging the last few weeks as the injury prone squad fell apart.

I don’t know how you know how much we spent on Clare and Wighton. Accounts haven’t been released yet. Pure speculation from you. 

27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Come on, Enzo, we were the better team. Especially the first half. With a wee rub of the green, we'd be still celebrating.

A fit Naismith would have been all we needed to take the chances we made. 

Vlad Magic
7 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Top 6 with a semi final and a final under their belt according to some plebs on here.

Thankful that “management” is restricted to their bowel movements. 

11 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Who knows? For some on here it’s as soon as we lose to Hibs, lose three or four on the trot to the top teams in the league or when we don’t play exciting, sexy football in any game at tynie. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Who knows?

You surely?

Edited by bistokid

55 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

At the moment they are only saying that. Talk is cheap. Let’s see the numbers come August and September before making rash predictions. 

That’s a big risk for the club to take. 

I suppose you can think it’s all talk but I know for a fact I now won’t be getting one if what they’re saying is true and he’s staying on.  Folk harping on about being loyal is all good but some folk are skint and can’t afford to pay money for something they’re not getting anything out of other than coming away seething.  I was going to try my best to make it work and think I could’ve with the finance thing but defo won’t be bothering if that’s the case. 

Theres far more supporters than just on here and I think it could be a fairly big shock for hearts when they see the numbers.  Saying that I could be totally wrong and everyone might turn up again, but i think hearts have a huge cause for concern there. 

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Who knows? For some on here it’s as soon as we lose to Hibs, lose three or four on the trot to the top teams in the league or when we don’t play exciting, sexy football in any game at tynie. 

For some it’s getting horsed 5-0 of livingston. 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You’re wasting your time posting common sense.

Everything will be hunky dory next season.

Ken. Can’t help myself tho. 

2 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Celtic had everyone back defending corners at the weekend and they've just won the treble treble.  

They most certainly did not. I remarked to the guys round about me that they were leaving two players up when we had corners which meant that we needed to leave three back, which tended to be Hickey, Mulraney and Edwards. Maybe when they were leading and protecting their lead they might've had all their players back but not during the majority of the game.

Edited by dougal

Phil Dunphy
37 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Falkirk didn't change their manager.

St Mirren moved up a place. Too little too late for Berwick, but QoS probably kept themselves up by bringing in Johnstone.

Phil Dunphy
50 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

OK smart arse.

I specifically said top 6 with a semi final and a final on their CV which obviously related to Levein THIS season.

No, you "specifically" said top half finish.

Mourinho left after guiding Man Utd to 2nd and winning a League Cup and Europa League double two seasons before. Pellegrini won the Premier League and League Cup in his first season, left after his second. RDM won the Champions League with Chelsea in May 2012 and was punted in November 2012.

His replacement, Rafa Benitez, won the Europa League and guided Chelsea to 3rd. He wasn't offered a contract beyond the end of that season.

So there's some actual cup WINNING managers who were moved on from their club after winning something or guiding them to a "top half finish".

If you think finishing in the top six is some kind of achievement for a club like Hearts, you'd be better off supporting St Johnstone or Motherwell.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Bale....... ?????????

Do you not think watching the best players and emulating them is a good idea? I know for

a fact our coaches ask the video analysis team for clips of famous players to help them learn.

Levein comes across as very confident in an interview I've just read.  Although he doesnt say it  he will know better than anyone that we have to be massively more consistent and urgent than we've been for the last two seasons.

He continues to be confident about the ability of our younger players and is looking at around 4 new players coming in.

All sounds good to me.  Let's see what happens

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Do you not think watching the best players and emulating them is a good idea? I know for

a fact our coaches ask the video analysis team for clips of famous players to help them learn.

Aye, it's as easy as that. 

Tbh, should have them watching Pele videos, why stop at Bale. 

Show a bit ambition. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

And Liverpool and Man City.

I'm beginning to understand why some fans wanted a manager battling for second place binned such is the standards they expect us to attain. 

Pressing can be done by any team, we do it quite well don’t we, that’s probably why you didn’t answer me and just had a wee bitch with this ***** instead. Battling for 2nd place, we were three points behind Hibs for 5 games and he experimented in them all.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Bazzas right boot

Mourinho 

Man utd 

Chelsea 

Bale

Pelligrino 

RDM

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

?

**** me. 

31 minutes ago, bistokid said:

You surely?

Didn’t realise you were asking me a question rather than just speculating. Sorry

id move them on if it was clear that there was a lack of progression, if he had lost the dressing room, if he couldn’t get the players up for the bigger games at least. Id also take into account the contribution from his signings, the impact of injuries, the views of senior players. The managers general demeanour and behaviour in a football context is usually important and a give-away in terms of how he is feeling/doing. Leadership is a tough gig. I think the important thing is to water down the inputs from fans on a short term basis so that the real view from the terracing is heard. Knee jerk reactions, good or bad, should be ignored. Whilst the customers(fans) views are important it is a business with shareholders investment at risk so decisions need to be a balance between the football side and the basic business side. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Berra - one injury in two seasons, Souter - 2 injuries in two seasons, Smith - one injury in two seasons, Naismith - one injury since joining us (accept he has had previous) , Uche - one injury in one season, Haring - one injury in one season. Difficult to argue your point re injury-prone I think. Our problem was that they all happened at nearly the same time. 

Are you off your head, Berra had an ankle o hurt last season and the hamstring this season.Souttar has missed games due to injury in all the seasons he’s played. Naismith had the same injury TWICE, not one injury. He’s injury prone. He had an operation in har cured it. Haring exactly the same, he’s also not played that many games in his career Uche has had an injury every season he’s played. Wighton and Clare, Mitchell.Djpum, Brandon, Godhino. Smith missed games at the start of the season, got injured, then fit, then injured again meaning he had to be rested before the final. For the last time we’ve had two seasons where only the goalies have been fit for every game. Just luck though eh? 80 players injured?

5 hours ago, Prof said:

That is a great summary of why CL should be sacked. Cast your mind back to when AB and CL took over. A few good players were quickly shown the door. Although money was put forward as the reason I always thought CL was settling a few old scores with certain individuals he didn’t get on with.

Which ones were released that you think we should have kept?

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Aye, it's as easy as that. 

Tbh, should have them watching Pele videos, why stop at Bale. 

Show a bit ambition. 

That’s what they do, you’re not criticising the club are you? Do you not think Mulraney could put the ball past Lustig,chase it and get there first? Just a big laugh in eh?

37 minutes ago, Morph said:

That’s a big risk for the club to take. 

I suppose you can think it’s all talk but I know for a fact I now won’t be getting one if what they’re saying is true and he’s staying on.  Folk harping on about being loyal is all good but some folk are skint and can’t afford to pay money for something they’re not getting anything out of other than coming away seething.  I was going to try my best to make it work and think I could’ve with the finance thing but defo won’t be bothering if that’s the case. 

Theres far more supporters than just on here and I think it could be a fairly big shock for hearts when they see the numbers.  Saying that I could be totally wrong and everyone might turn up again, but i think hearts have a huge cause for concern there. 

I hear what you are saying but we have covered this several times.  Fans will attend games at tynie through habit largely, afternoon with their mates/family, and the fact they support Hearts and always will. That’s the vast majority of us and we take the good with the bad. Some need to see something to make them want to renew or go to games.  No problem with that. Whether season ticket sales are up or down the reality is that if we start next season like we started last season  tynie will be sold out most weeks. If we don’t it won’t. I think season ticket sales will be down slightly but the newly announced Zebra replacement, the day out we had in Glasgow at the weekend and a few exciting signings will probably mean we end up similar to last season. As I have said before if we can sell out every week then the fewer season ticket holders there are the more income the club receives. Bit of a lottery really. 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Every team in the league has lost important players during the season, the injury excuse doesn’t cut it. If they want to ask why we sign injury prone players, or why only our goalkeepers have been fit for every game these last two seasons it could be discussed (but they don’t).

But not their best players together!

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s what they do, you’re not criticising the club are you? Do you not think Mulraney could put the ball past Lustig,chase it and get there first? Just a big laugh in eh?

What do you think?

Pasquale for King
59 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I don’t know how you know how much we spent on Clare and Wighton. Accounts haven’t been released yet. Pure speculation from you. 

It was in the media, speculation if you wish. With transfers, agent fees, signing on fees and wages £500k is a conservative estimate.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

What happens if Mulraney watches Bale videos and lustig watches Maldini videos. 

How does that work? 

Soonbe is right.  If were exciting to watch and successful  the place will be packed on a regular basis regardless of ST sales.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Why doesn’t every team press the opposition then? Sounds easy the way you portray it. 

Some teams don’t have the players or the inclination, are you seriously saying that it doesn’t work? It’s been shown as the best way to beat Celtic. It’s harder to do with an immobile striker though.

Bazzas right boot

I'm away to watch a Brad Pitt movie. 

Look out for me in the next oceans movie. 

Vlad Magic
24 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

No, you "specifically" said top half finish.

Mourinho left after guiding Man Utd to 2nd and winning a League Cup and Europa League double two seasons before. Pellegrini won the Premier League and League Cup in his first season, left after his second. RDM won the Champions League with Chelsea in May 2012 and was punted in November 2012.

His replacement, Rafa Benitez, won the Europa League and guided Chelsea to 3rd. He wasn't offered a contract beyond the end of that season.

So there's some actual cup WINNING managers who were moved on from their club after winning something or guiding them to a "top half finish".

If you think finishing in the top six is some kind of achievement for a club like Hearts, you'd be better off supporting St Johnstone or Motherwell.

Evasion tactics deployed again.

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Vlad Magic said:

Evasion tactics deployed again.

*Asks for names*

*Gets given names*

STOP EVADING MY QUESTION.

:sob: 

31 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Falkirk didn't change their manager.

St Mirren moved up a place. Too little too late for Berwick, but QoS probably kept themselves up by bringing in Johnstone.

Think Falkirk had three managers during season just finished, two permanent, one temporary. 

Huddersfield and Fulham. 

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was in the media, speculation if you wish. With transfers, agent fees, signing on fees and wages £500k is a conservative estimate.

Without knowing the scale of the ‘transfer’ fees no one has a clue as how much they have cost us. Both were really looking for jobs when we took them on so wages may not be as much as you think. Both are with us to prove their recovery from serious injury, particularly Clare. Next season before anyone can say we wasted anything on them. 

Phil Dunphy
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Think Falkirk had three managers during season just finished, two permanent, one temporary. 

Huddersfield and Fulham. 

Falkirk appointed Ray McKinnon in August.

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Some teams don’t have the players or the inclination, are you seriously saying that it doesn’t work? It’s been shown as the best way to beat Celtic. It’s harder to do with an immobile striker though.

I’m saying that if every team tried to press it wouldn’t work for one of them every game. There’s teams you can press and there’s teams you can’t. A lot of teams in SPFL come to tynie and play longer ball than usual. You can’t really press a team that’s playing it long. It’s best way to play Celtic simply because their style under Rodgers was to play it out from the back. I suspect Lennon will change that next season because both Levein and Gerrard have worked out how to play them. Others will follow unless he changes it somewhat. 

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

But not their best players together!

Yes they have you’ve been given the names and teams. We had all our best players out together for 4 weeks. Don’t answer.

2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Falkirk appointed Ray McKinnon in August.

2/9/18 after interim manager for six days. Hartley before that from Betfred onwards to end of August. Then they poached McKinnon behind Morton’s backs. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, soonbe110 said:

I’m saying that if every team tried to press it wouldn’t work for one of them every game. There’s teams you can press and there’s teams you can’t. A lot of teams in SPFL come to tynie and play longer ball than usual. You can’t really press a team that’s playing it long. It’s best way to play Celtic simply because their style under Rodgers was to play it out from the back. I suspect Lennon will change that next season because both Levein and Gerrard have worked out how to play them. Others will follow unless he changes it somewhat. 

He worked it out when we played them and ended their 69 game run. The object of the press is to win the ball back, either in their half or to get the team to play long. We pressed most teams at the beginning of the season, and played off their mistakes. Do Liverpool, City etc not play long ball teams and still press them? It requires a level of fitness that perhaps we don’t have, to hitch is wrong. We obviously don’t have the players that these teams have but they really shouldn’t be that much fitter surely?

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

OK smart arse.

What about the Motherwell manager who managed two cup finals and 6th place? Surely that’s a better season on his cv with a bottom 6 budget also good at giving young players their opportunity as shown towards the end of this season? 

Just an example of others out there.  Not that I want him to replace Levein. 

Vlad Magic
14 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

*Asks for names*

*Gets given names*

STOP EVADING MY QUESTION.

:sob: 

Only a complete idiot would fail to see the point I was making.

You stepped up to the plate.

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Sorry if you didn’t know a coaching tactic that’s used by all clubs, every days a school day. I wonder what crap player you will pick as a name next season. Anyway, back onto ignore where you belong.

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He worked it out when we played them and ended their 69 game run. The object of the press is to win the ball back, either in their half or to get the team to play long. We pressed most teams at the beginning of the season, and played off their mistakes. Do Liverpool, City etc not play long ball teams and still press them? It requires a level of fitness that perhaps we don’t have, to hitch is wrong. We obviously don’t have the players that these teams have but they really shouldn’t be that much fitter surely?

Not sure I get your point. Yes we can play a pressing game but if it was easy as you say, and it was successful, wouldn’t every club try it? 

Inch Hearts
22 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I’m off to watch the hills have eyes watch me go next season as one of the McGinn brothers ?

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

What about the Motherwell manager who managed two cup finals and 6th place? Surely that’s a better season on his cv with a bottom 6 budget also good at giving young players their opportunity as shown towards the end of this season? 

Just an example of others out there.  Not that I want him to replace Levein. 

No top six though, good point though as there are loads of good managers all around the world that could do a great job with our resources and fan base.

Inch Hearts
Just now, soonbe110 said:

Not sure I get your point. Yes we can play a pressing game but if it was easy as you say, and it was successful, wouldn’t every club try it? 

Most successful teams against Celtic do do it.  See the huns a couple of times hibs and us. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Ask them, most good teams do it. Did you see Keane talking about it, hard work and helping out your mate beside you. Extremely few prosper by sitting back and hitting on the break. Mourinho and Conte are the only two I can think of.

• davemclaren locked this topic