Tony Blair and our football.

skwif1

Stephen Muddie
On 30/04/2019 at 19:06, Smoked-Glass said:

Don't listen that clown.   Hard brexit is the way forward. 

Vote for the brexit party in May. 

This. Give the likes of fuhrer Macron nothing. They have much more to lose than we do, it's just that our snivelling dishonest mainstream politicos and media are sabotaging democracy.

On 30/04/2019 at 19:54, Independence said:

Jeez you are out of step with your fellow country men and women!

Not a bad thing to think critically for one's self and avoid the groupthinking partisanism that typifies the SNP.

On 30/04/2019 at 20:23, Nookie Bear said:

I understand but, as long as Scots throw their cash at Sky Sports and spend their days discussing “their” EPL teams it will never change. 

Scots are willingly diminished by English football, I’m afraid. 

Agree 100%. That's why I don't sub-scribe to Sky.

On 01/05/2019 at 11:42, stan said:

I don't think Tony Blair had much to do with Syria ?. They started that one by themselves long after he was out the door.

Yeah Iraq... It's okay though he got made Middle East Peace Envoy after that and made £25million from VI businesses, including a £5million pa role with Bank of America.

**** Tony B Liar. He should be ten years into a life sentence by now, rather than talking shite about something his corrupt wee snakey ass knows **** all about.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts_fan

• Smoked-Glass

• Unknown user

• upgotheheads

He's certainly not someone you want arguing your case. Still doesn't seem to realise that somehow!

SpruceBringsteen

Mods, pls rename this thread to "Crashing bores howl at the moon", thanks

Marooned In Oz
7 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

'old men yell at clouds' 

7 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Terrace is football-related, or should be !

Unless they’re talking about using Tony Blair’s head as a football, it should be moved to the Shed !

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

The cloud clearing is a very poor analogy which is why I didn’t respond to that point before.   Just as likely is the clouds could clear and you find you were right to move because a sinkhole opened up behind you.

Treating voters like they “didn’t know what they were voting for” or “they were lied to so the whole vote is void” is an insult to people regardless of how they voted.                 

For Brexit people voted for the “idea of Brexit”  and not HOW it was to be done.   There were asked if they want Britain to be an independant country or remain in the EU.

For Indy in 2014 people voted for the idea that Scotland will stay part of Britan.  (if Britan then decided to leave the EU in the future then we have to abide by that because Scotland is still part)

It is simply not democratic to ignore referendums.   Imagine if we ignored general elections citing that people were “ill informed”  

Poor analogy!?   I've never seen a sinkhole but I have seen a lot of cliffs. 

On 30/04/2019 at 16:27, skwif1 said:

I was under the idea that if the leagues were to merge Scotland would no longer be able to field a National side, and we would need to become GB or UK United.

Sounds good to me. Alot of our boys are English anyway. 

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Boab said:

Terrace is football-related, or should be !

Unless they’re talking about using Tony Blair’s head as a football, it should be moved to the Shed !

Correct.

Is this the same Blair who said the Iraqis had weapons on mass destruction.???

W*nker seems to be a complement for him.

shaun.lawson

What Tony Blair knows about football could be written on a postage stamp. He only said he was a Newcastle fan because at the time, they were many people's second favourite team. Cynical as ever, in other words.

However... for a very long time now, I've believed the only way Hearts can truly grow would be by playing in England - if that were in any way possible, that is. It used to be that Scottish football at least offered the chance of doing something exciting in Europe; it doesn't now. The top one in the league is closed off; the top two is likely to be very shortly. So what does that leave? Good season = 3rd; bad season = 6th. Meh.

English football's popularity and immense competitiveness right down the pyramid isn't genetic or something. It's because of money and interest: one begets the other, and vice versa. Where would Hearts 'fit' in the English pyramid? The money we'd receive would make us a natural Championship club, which would sometimes go up to the Prem, occasionally go down to League 1. Success would be properly rewarded; failure would be properly punished. And we could at least aspire to becoming an established EPL club.

My English club are not 'naturally' bigger than Hearts in any way, shape or form. Norwich have only won two League Cups ever, never reached an FA Cup Final, and only played in Europe for one season. But the money and interest in the English game means we're a much higher profile club than Hearts: with more potential (and much larger gates) as a consequence. That isn't how it should be at all... but it is, and it's purely a result of geography.

And for Norwich, read 20-30 (arguably, more) other English clubs, all of whom can dream of establishing themselves in the Prem, all of whom have their moment in the sun at some point or another. What can Hearts dream about? Finishing 3rd? It ain't enough. Which is probably why many Hearts fans are disenchanted when we do finish 3rd.

Edited by shaun.lawson

I'm in several  minds on this. The greater variety in opposition is a big positive, but they'd lack the sense of rivalry we currently enjoy especially the likely loss of derby games which are a great focus in our season. There's a downside there which may take a while to accept is worthwhile.

I don't think it would ever happen but the reasons for promoting such a proposal should be for the good of the game, the clubs and the supporters. Blair's suggestion is exploitative and cynical in that it's to change the set-up for a political advantage.

On balance I'd perhaps be in favour of a British league for the greater competition, but in an ideal world it would be a league that was more of a pre Sky style, and that's not an option.

Smoked-Glass
14 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Poor analogy!?   I've never seen a sinkhole but I have seen a lot of cliffs. 

And relax..... 

Pasquale for King
On 02/05/2019 at 07:42, Smoked-Glass said:

Britain then if not UK.   The vote was counted that way.   So like it or not, your country DID vote to leave the EU in 2016.     Fact. 

Britain is not a country, it’s a combination of four different countries.