Tony Blair and our football.

skwif1

In the Hootsman,

"Tony Blair has warned that a hard Brexit could push Scottish independence ‘over the line’, as he suggested merging the English and Scottish football leagues in a bid to keep the union alive."

Dont want a Brexit thread but what about a merger of the leagues, OR is he just pandering to the UGLY SISTERS, OR trying to frighten the Sassenach's to scare them??

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts_fan

• Smoked-Glass

• Unknown user

• upgotheheads

Nah **** that. They can keep their plastic game. We might be shite but at least it's honest shite

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Nah **** that. They can keep their plastic game. We might be shite but at least it's honest shite

I thought it was corrupt. 

12 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Our leagues are anything but honest.

14 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Nah **** that. They can keep their plastic game. We might be shite but at least it's our shite

FIFY

3 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Our leagues are anything but honest.

This.

Everything revolves around the Old Firm.  Everything.

I was under the idea that if the leagues were to merge Scotland would no longer be able to field a National side, and we would need to become GB or UK United.

Cruyff Turn
1 minute ago, skwif1 said:

I was under the idea that if the leagues were to merge Scotland would no longer be able to field a National side, and we would need to become GB or UK United.

That’s why he wants it to happen. 

Mr Elwood P
34 minutes ago, skwif1 said:

In the Hootsman,

"Tony Blair has warned that a hard Brexit could push Scottish independence ‘over the line’, as he suggested merging the English and Scottish football leagues in a bid to keep the union alive."

Dont want a Brexit thread but what about a merger of the leagues, OR is he just pandering to the UGLY SISTERS, OR trying to frighten the Sassenach's to scare them??

I'd be intrigued to see how a British league would pan out for teams like Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs. You look at a team life Watford, stadium the same size as Tynecastle and fighting it out with a multitude of clubs around London for fans but they're doing well in the English Premier League and they've got an FA Cup final to look forward to.

Sometimes, in fact quite often, wish Hearts could join the English set up. Even if it meant starting in the National League North (6th tier). Usually feel this way after Hearts have been cheated to a standstill v. Celtic or Rangers. The game fecking stinks up here with bias toward them. 

Favoured option would be for them to leave and let us get on with it. Although, knowing that pair, they'd want the CL and a Europa place to go with them. 

As the saying goes, if it wasn't for Heart of Midlothian...

14 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I'd be intrigued to see how a British league would pan out for teams like Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs. You look at a team life Watford, stadium the same size as Tynecastle and fighting it out with a multitude of clubs around London for fans but they're doing well in the English Premier League and they've got an FA Cup final to look forward to.

Would be fine if we were given the £60 Million a year as well.

Edit:   Just read it's actually £94 Million each club gets from TV.

£94 Million

Edited by Lovecraft

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think we'd do okay. Bottom half League 1/League 2 level at the moment (just a guess) but Championship, with the odd Premiership appearance once the rise in income kicked in. 

All bullshit of course and Tony Blair is a muppet. 

4 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Would be fine if we were given the £60 Million a year as well.

Edit:   Just read it's actually £94 Million each club gets from TV.

£94 Million

What was the reason for the edit, bud?

Fainting? :)

English football would do everything possible to shove Scottish clubs into the ground if we merged.

Most of us would be non league within a couple of years. Fighting for scraps.

1 minute ago, martoon said:

What was the reason for the edit, bud?

Fainting? :)

Never realised it was that much.

Souttar just went up another £5 Million.

?

It's absolutely absurd and insulting to suggest that yet another part of Scottish culture should be subsumed by England. 

I'm sick of my nation being diminished and diluted by a neighbouring nation.

When will this shite end?

I know the answer, and I can't wait to see it happen.

Utter nonsense, national team would then cease to exist for a start. Like others I love Scottish football and can't stand the plastic nature of the EPL in particular. It's sordid that these crooks are coining in the TV money and still charging punters ridiculous ticket prices.

I would encourage anyone who hasn't watched it yet to catch some of A View From the Terrace, they capture what our game is about and what it means to people. 

Just now, Lovecraft said:

Never realised it was that much.

?

Indeed. 

Crazy money but most are up to the ear holes in debt? 

2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Sky paid £150 Million for the full SPL for 5 years.

Or one and half Huddersfield's for a year.

Actually, the £150 Million is for the SPFL, not just the SPL

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Actually, the £150 Million is for the SPFL, not just the SPL

Feeling a bit faint myself now. 

11 minutes ago, martoon said:

Sometimes, in fact quite often, wish Hearts could join the English set up. Even if it meant starting in the National League North (6th tier). Usually feel this way after Hearts have been cheated to a standstill v. Celtic or Rangers. The game fecking stinks up here with bias toward them. 

Favoured option would be for them to leave and let us get on with it. Although, knowing that pair, they'd want the CL and a Europa place to go with them. 

As the saying goes, if it wasn't for Heart of Midlothian...

If we started at that level we would not get anywhere near the championship for at least a generation.

"The scale of money flowing into the league has seen Brighton - in the league for just two seasons - enter the top 30 richest clubs in the world."

And....

"Brighton, for example, derive just 13% of their income from people actually attending matches. Scotland’s TV deal, however, provides Celtic with just a sixth of the revenue that Brighton get from theirs."

****ing Brighton..

Edited by Lovecraft

Just now, graygo said:

If we started at that level we would not get anywhere near the championship for at least a generation.

Perhaps. 

I wasn't being particularly serious, anyway. ?

Selkirk_Jambo
10 minutes ago, martoon said:

I think we'd do okay. Bottom half League 1/League 2 level at the moment (just a guess) but Championship, with the odd Premiership appearance once the rise in income kicked in. 

All bullshit of course and Tony Blair is a muppet. 

That's a joke right? You ever watch English football?!  ?

Edited by Selkirk_Jambo

Just now, Selkirk_Jambo said:

That's a joke right? You ever watch English football?  ?

Just a wild guess at a non serious scenario. 

For the record, no, hardly ever watch it.

Have an interest coupon wise, though. I know way too much about Forest Green, Cheltenham Town...than a Scotsman should. :)

38 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

What does Tony Blair know about anything 

Is the correct answer. I’ve no doubt his knowledge of “footie” could happily be accommodated on the back of a smallish postage stamp, especially with regard to matters here. He was probably too busy playing politics when he was at Fettes even to bother with rugby.

28 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

?

Not so sure after his 1st half performance v the shite on Sunday :laugh:

56 minutes ago, Boab said:

Trying to appear relevant !

An arsehole !

That is the correct response.The man's about as sincere as a grudged apology.

9 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Not so sure after his 1st half performance v the shite on Sunday :laugh:

I don't think I've ever seen him play like that before.

37 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Utter nonsense, national team would then cease to exist for a start. Like others I love Scottish football and can't stand the plastic nature of the EPL in particular. It's sordid that these crooks are coining in the TV money and still charging punters ridiculous ticket prices.

I would encourage anyone who hasn't watched it yet to catch some of A View From the Terrace, they capture what our game is about and what it means to people. 

Why would the national team cease to exist? Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Newport County for example...still got a Welsh national team.

Portable Badger
1 hour ago, skwif1 said:

In the Hootsman,

Nah I just think it's Blair talking his usual Pish and trying to make himself relevant to the world.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Well said

Phil D. Corners

Is this the same Tony Blair that started in illegal war in Syria, that forced many people to leave there home land, that forced European countries to open their doors, that led to UK voting for Brexit? 

He belongs in jail. 

13 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

Why would the national team cease to exist? Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Newport County for example...still got a Welsh national team.

They also have a Welsh league, Blair was proposing a merger. 

1 hour ago, skwif1 said:

Called England

I’ve said for years that if Hearts has the English football money we’d become an absolutely massive club. Think about it, teams from total sh*t holes like stoke and Hull can attract international players on £80k a week!! If you’re a millionaire France/Holland international looking to play in the Premier League with £80k a week on offer, where would you rather live....Hull or Edinburgh?? Absolute no brainer. 

Tony Blair ? An absolute walloper who hasn’t covered himself in glory in decisions he was actually paid to get right. Back under your rock you go please.

I’ll keep Scottish football thank you very much but feel free to have both arse cheeks for nowt

All roads lead to Gorgie

Another Edinburgh born and raised has been who declared a love of Rangers as a kid. Just ignore him! 

Phil D. Corners
4 minutes ago, MyWay said:

I’ve said for years that if Hearts has the English football money we’d become an absolutely massive club. Think about it, teams from total sh*t holes like stoke and Hull can attract international players on £80k a week!! If you’re a millionaire France/Holland international looking to play in the Premier League with £80k a week on offer, where would you rather live....Hull or Edinburgh?? Absolute no brainer. 

I used to think like that... the reality is there are a lot of big clubs in championship and lower. Only few, maybe 6, clubs have maintained premiership status. 

10 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I used to think like that... the reality is there are a lot of big clubs in championship and lower. Only few, maybe 6, clubs have maintained premiership status. 

I know what you’re saying but a lot of these clubs don’t have the historical fan base that we have and don’t have the draw of a city like Edinburgh, which is hugely overlooked