***Scotland v San Marino Official Match Thread***

iantjambo

Don't understand the doubters who say 'Who is there then?' theres probably a huge number of young guys out there from overseas who would be willing to try and change things from top to bottom but the SFA is stuck in the dark ages and won't ever risk it. 

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gizmo

• iantjambo

• Jambof3tornado

• Bazzas right boot

The excuse the players were still feeling the effects of the Kazakhstan game is unbelievable. Surely they would want to go out and out on a good display to start to make amends. 

But maybe it tells us about the modern footballer. 

ToadKiller Dog

Feck thought it would never end felt like 300 minutes rather than 90.

Dreadful but likely keeps mcleish safe. 

23 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

Absolutely agree, I’m no mental health professional but even leaving aside what he says, the man is clearly not himself. Cannae believe none of his cheer leading pals in the media have stepped in publicly or otherwise  

I agree - much as I dont like him as a manager, it is cruel to keep him on. He has lost all credibility and it is clear he has health issues. He doesnt look well, makes a lot of mistakes in interviews and comes across as quite confused. He's 60 year old - the pressure is not going to get any easier.

10 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Don't understand the doubters who say 'Who is there then?' theres probably a huge number of young guys out there from overseas who would be willing to try and change things from top to bottom but the SFA is stuck in the dark ages and won't ever risk it. 

that is my view, we should go with a younger manager. Not someone who is coming to the end of their managerial career. I would like someone like neilson or derek adams to take over

SpruceBringsteen
14 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Should be looking to Scandanavia. Countries with similar climates, populations (Sweden, Norway), one with considerably less (Iceland) and most other measurables who would - all three - pump us ****ing silly. Clearly they know something that the usual SFA best pal doesn't.

Jambof3tornado
2 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Should be looking to Scandanavia. Countries with similar climates, populations (Sweden, Norway), one with considerably less (Iceland) and most other measurables who would - all three - pump us ****ing silly. Clearly they know something that the usual SFA best pal doesn't.

Forward thinking nations.

Pity we continually fail to do so.

7 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

that is my view, we should go with a younger manager. Not someone who is coming to the end of their managerial career. I would like someone like neilson or derek adams to take over

Alex Neil? 

Captain Sausage
20 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Risk what? Becoming an even bigger laughing stock?

We should be offering a package to someone with the opportunity to restart Scottish football, head to toe. 

1 minute ago, Captain Sausage said:

Risk what? Becoming an even bigger laughing stock?

We should be offering a package to someone with the opportunity to restart Scottish football, head to toe. 

Its been said before... Barry Hearn... 

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Bothered me for years that. All this pass pass pass bullshit they learn from coaches now. We produce literally no one with anything even resembling flair and if they do it seems to get coached out of them. 

It’s a win and all we could ask for but it’s been a torturous watch. 

How can anyone who works for that sack of shite SFA be watching this and not thinking it’s utterly tragic stuff. 

I know we’re talking about a different level of player but look at the football Germany are playing tonight.

Im not trying to compare with Scotland, it’s just refreshing to see how they’ve been asked to play and it’s obvious what they’ve worked on.  Fast pace, one touch lay offs in midfield with runners already on the move and players know where they’re putting it.

Players actually running at the opposition from midfield and not just passing the buck. 

Through the levels, whether its Hearts, Man City or the best international team, it’s the type of football that should be getting coached. Gnabry embarrassed Van Djik by showing pace, tenacity and real intent to get a goal. It’s great to see that hunger more than anything else. 

SectionDJambo

I think there is a consensus that there are too many incompetent people running our football, with self interest highest on their agenda. 

You only need to see countries of a similar population and climate who produce great players. Only recently, Ajax destroyed Real Madrid with more than half a team of home grown players. Norway gave Spain a game, away, yesterday.

Sadly, it is unlikely to change, as our football revolves around 2 clubs in Glasgow, who seem to have little interest in improving anything other than their own bank balances. We also have a media who are keen to see them both suffocate everything else.

haveyouheard 22
6 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think there is a consensus that there are too many incompetent people running our football, with self interest highest on their agenda. 

You only need to see countries of a similar population and climate who produce great players. Only recently, Ajax destroyed Real Madrid with more than half a team of home grown players. Norway gave Spain a game, away, yesterday.

Sadly, it is unlikely to change, as our football revolves around 2 clubs in Glasgow, who seem to have little interest in improving anything other than their own bank balances. We also have a media who are keen to see them both suffocate everything else.

Bang on 

kirkierobroy
4 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Sums it up perfectly. I'm very pessimistic about the Scottish game at club and national level. Nobody wants to rock the boat, even the SFA/SPFL representatives of the ordinary clubs who really should be rocking the boat.

If I was being poncy I would quote from Candide - 'we must cultivate our garden'. Support yer club. Enjoy healthy rivalry, but only that, with other proper clubs (ie not the Irish one or the British one). Be happy when you win, but don't get bitter when you lose. Follow the national team by all means (I still do) but expect nothing and make it clear you're not supporting the SFA or the two clubs who pull their strings. Get wat joy you can from the game, but avoid the bigger picture because it's blimming depressing.

The Future's Maroon
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

The excuse the players were still feeling the effects of the Kazakhstan game is unbelievable. Surely they would want to go out and out on a good display to start to make amends. 

But maybe it tells us about the modern footballer. 

Yip 

46 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Great post buddy, sadly you are bang on.

Fareastjambo
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Spot on SectionD.

Seymour M Hersh

And with Petrie standing for the top job with no other candidates declared it doesn't look like it'll end soon. 

3 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Can we just play the woman's team?  

They would beat us.

Oh wait, you mean instead of us.

4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

And with Petrie standing for the top job with no other candidates declared it doesn't look like it'll end soon. 

image.jpeg.56bb9b6d683bc0a56ec811b458b3009c.jpeg

The Future's Maroon
2 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Sack the board 

Was it me, or Mr Smirnoff, was that being chanted throughout the game?

Not so much the feather/skirts wearing  deciples some were making out a couple of days ago?

Top post btw.

:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

People  had a right go at those of us who saw the big picture after home Israel game. 

Horrible team but yet players playing at the higher levels being dragged down 

When he was appointed I said I wouldn’t watch another game until he was gone

Hopefully not long until I can start watching again.

3 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Does anyone actually think the SFA have the guts to sack mcleish?

They had the guts to appoint him

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

The thing is that the two clubs you refer to used to have a large number of Scottish players in their teams and nowadays those numbers have dwindled as have the number of Scottish players making it with EPL clubs. Perhaps we allow too many foreign players into our game which is to the detriment of the younger players being advanced because it is easier and sometimes cheaper to bring in foreigners who are out of contract.

In the past we used to have many good players in the EPL now you could almost count on one hand the number we have.

The SFA tried to come up with a way to develop the game when they appointed Mark Wotte as Performance Director  and just when Wotte was starting to make some headway he left.

But sadly you are correct about the two clubs you refer to and it is unlikely to change anytime soon.

We need to change much more than the manager and possibly the "board". It was 1994/95 was when the SPL moved to a 10 team Premier league. Last tournament we qualified for was the 1998 World Cup. Is it just coincidental? 

I could add much more such as sponsorship and players playing at the top levels in Europe. It all shows regression. Time for a major change IMO. 

1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

When he was appointed I said I wouldn’t watch another game until he was gone

Hopefully not long until I can start watching again.

I said the same with Bertie Vogts.  Except, I kept it up after he left the post.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

The thing is that the two clubs you refer to used to have a large number of Scottish players in their teams and nowadays those numbers have dwindled as have the number of Scottish players making it with EPL clubs. Perhaps we allow too many foreign players into our game which is to the detriment of the younger players being advanced because it is easier and sometimes cheaper to bring in foreigners who are out of contract.

In the past we used to have many good players in the EPL now you could almost count on one hand the number we have.

The SFA tried to come up with a way to develop the game when they appointed Mark Wotte as Performance Director  and just when Wotte was starting to make some headway he left.

But sadly you are correct about the two clubs you refer to and it is unlikely to change anytime soon.

I agree with most of that, I would criticise Rangers far more when it comes to Scottish players though. Celtic have produced Mulgrew/Tierney/Macgregor/Forrest/Watt/Robertson recently and have had guys like  Brown/Griffiths/Armstrong/Bain/Gordon/Commons and a few more.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, cocomac said:

We need to change much more than the manager and possibly the "board". It was 1994/95 was when the SPL moved to a 10 team Premier league. Last tournament we qualified for was the 1998 World Cup. Is it just coincidental? 

I could add much more such as sponsorship and players playing at the top levels in Europe. It all shows regression. Time for a major change IMO. 

1974/75 it went to a 10 team league.

Currently stands at a 12 team top league.

4 hours ago, cocomac said:

The 10 team league started in the mid 70s. It's added 2, now and then.  We are now stuck with 12 and  a stupid split. Make it 16 teams or 10.

Oh and get Alex tae France.

Edited by ri Alban

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, kirkierobroy said:

If I was being poncy I would quote from Candide - 'we must cultivate our garden'. Support yer club. Enjoy healthy rivalry, but only that, with other proper clubs (ie not the Irish one or the British one). Be happy when you win, but don't get bitter when you lose. Follow the national team by all means (I still do) but expect nothing and make it clear you're not supporting the SFA or the two clubs who pull their strings. Get wat joy you can from the game, but avoid the bigger picture because it's blimming depressing.

Optimism," said Cacambo, "What is that?" 

:lol:

SFA =   Complete complacency and disinterest in anything other than the Old Firm. It’s why the game here is in the hapless state it is and why we are regarded as a joke elsewhere. 

Bindy Badgy
11 hours ago, Jeff said:

These are the muppets that turned down Lars Lagerback as they didn't want a foreign manager.

In some ways I hope they keep McLeish for the Cyprus game. We lose an early goal and the crowd give him and the SFA both barrels. It might be the only way these tossers get the message! We have that play off thing so we can still qualify through that if we get a competent manager in after that. The tartan army were definitely in the mood yesterday for getting rid of the sfa etc,  been a long time since they’ve shown that amount of anger.

7 minutes ago, RDSK said:

Sack McLeish now and give it to Moyes for the rest of the campaign. He can’t do much worse can he? 

And it’s the turn of someone with a Celtic  background to get the job after all. Fairs, fair.  Lol.

ToadKiller Dog

He won't get sacked, the SFA will let him ruin the rest of the campaign and likely the play off thing first. 

To get him gone quicker the Cyprus game needs really poor sales around 10,000 would do it. 

jack D and coke

I did want him gone tbh but I’d bite your hand off for Strachan to come back right now. 

I don’t dislike McLeish he’s never really been one who’s wound me up or anything he seems a decent lad but he’s clueless now and is going to make a right arse of this. I don’t like to see decent guys getting hounded and that’s whats going to happen. 

132goals1958
1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

McLeish blaming the fans for making Scotland players nervous :facepalm:

He makes remarks without thinking . For example telling the media that Belgium and Russia would have different results if their best players were out. Don’t know about the latter but Belgium would smash  the group even with some of their fringe players.

13 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

2 hours ago, glynnlondon said:

The SFA criteria

1. Ex OF

2. Washed up

3. Preferably ginger (tho not essential)

When you put it like that... 

ronny-deila-celtic_3234057.jpg

grumpy rebus

We need to start at the top and work down. Somebody mentioned Barry Hearn. We should certainly start with someone like him. Then we need a manager people can rally round. Another Bertie type appointment? Finally we need to get the younger players coached the proper way, somebody like Cathro heading up national coaching, but with no management or media responsibilities? 

This is may be controversial, but when you are at the bottom of the barrel you need to try something radical. 

The SFA are the very definition of insanity - keep doing the same thing but expecting different results.