Edinburgh Roads

Harry Potter

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, been here before said:

The cycle of no self awareness :lol:

On 25/04/2023 at 13:17, been here before said:

Start by breaking the legs of arsehole car drivers and the rest will fall into place.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• OBE

• been here before

been here before
5 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

:rolleyes:

Brilliant :rofl:

Cherry picking posts from other threads totally out of context at its most desperate :lol:.

Shall we look at it in context?

444842812_Screenshot_20230505_095550_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5ac744901e7cf801d17e357f93873a8b.jpg

950542002_Screenshot_20230505_095601_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.94110ca25759bafc90557fb5ae7b0149.jpg

2062968721_Screenshot_20230505_095610_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6341771452eb6977b5d244604b231e3f.jpg

45 minutes ago, been here before said:

Brilliant :rofl:

Cherry picking posts from other threads totally out of context at its most desperate :lol:.

Shall we look at it in context?

444842812_Screenshot_20230505_095550_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5ac744901e7cf801d17e357f93873a8b.jpg

950542002_Screenshot_20230505_095601_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.94110ca25759bafc90557fb5ae7b0149.jpg

2062968721_Screenshot_20230505_095610_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6341771452eb6977b5d244604b231e3f.jpg

You know in a day I see more cyclists putting themselves at risk than car drivers. From my point of view 2 things cyclists really need to read up on are blind spots on large vehicles and stopping distance. Cyclists are the only road user that scares me, The risks they take are unreal and they don't seem to grasp the consequences they can cause. Cyclists should stay in their lane and merge into live traffic when its safe, Like any other road user.

been here before
30 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

You know in a day I see more cyclists putting themselves at risk than car drivers. From my point of view 2 things cyclists really need to read up on are blind spots on large vehicles and stopping distance. Cyclists are the only road user that scares me, The risks they take are unreal and they don't seem to grasp the consequences they can cause. Cyclists should stay in their lane and merge into live traffic when its safe, Like any other road user.

I wouldnt disagree with that.

Only thing I'd point out though is "their lane". If that refers to cycle lanes then there is no legal obligation to use them if you deem them unsafe for whatever reason. I'd make an argument that these ridiculous lanes with the bollards and cars parked next to them are amongst the most unsafe lanes for cyclists, pedestrians and drivers or passengers getting in or out their motors.

If you're simply meaning their lane as in the 'normal' lane they're in with traffic, then aye, you're right.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, been here before said:

I'd make an argument that these ridiculous lanes with the bollards and cars parked next to them are amongst the most unsafe lanes for cyclists, pedestrians and drivers or passengers getting in or out their motors.

You won't find many folk arguing against that. 

Out of interest, is Edinburgh the only UK city that made such a Jeremy Hunt of this under the cover of covid?

I've been in several cities around the world that have cycle lanes segregated by a kerb or a wee bit of pavement and these are usually fairly busy and seem to work well - as everyone knows where each other should be. They also seem like part of a much better thought-through plan, and I can't recall offhand any that are as hilly as Edinburgh.

My point about folk towing bairns in traffic stands, though. It's insanity. Especially with the nick of Edinburgh's roads.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Was going out the door with my kids earlier, some guy just about ran us over on his bike outside the gate.

Called him a *****. Kids were appalled. But he deserved it.

54 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

img-1-1683721267761.webp

Is that Constitution Street becoming tram only, or is it just one way and you'll be able to drive up it from Baltic Street/Bernard Street?

Dennis Reynolds
49 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Is that Constitution Street becoming tram only, or is it just one way and you'll be able to drive up it from Baltic Street/Bernard Street?

Tram only both ways.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

img-1-1683721267761.webp

It's Great Junction Street looking towards the bottom of Leith Walk. It is informing there is no left turn for vehicles into Constitution Street. Its for Trams only.

Edited by John Findlay

2 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

img-1-1683721267761.webp

Coburg St, Cable Wynd and Henderson St to have restrictions applied. Looks like Leith doesn't want visitors from the South...:fth:

25 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Tram only both ways.

Jesus, what about the people that live on those streets?  No car access at all?

Traffic is going to be a nightmare :lol: 

Just now, tian447 said:

Jesus, what about the people that live on those streets?  No car access at all?

Traffic is going to be a nightmare :lol: 

Nightmare last week, nightmare today, nightmare tomorrow, no more congestion on Constitution St, but surrounding areas become even more constipated...

Dennis Reynolds
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Good luck to mobility scooter users.

:fonzie:

Aye, the sign seems to be completely overkill whilst taking up valuable pavement space 😄 I imagine wheelchair users/buggies/visually impaired folks are going to find this fairly difficult when in reality, there's a no left hand turn sign about 20m further down the road.

Edited by Dennis Reynolds

• 3 weeks later...
Stuart Lyon

Roadworks in the city are a joke. Bottom of Morrison St restricted causing significant congestion for traffic going to Haymarket. Knock-on effect is congestion in Grove St. Melville Street closed off at Stafford St. so no access to Queensferry St thereby causing congestion in Chester St.

John Findlay
28 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Roadworks in the city are a joke. Bottom of Morrison St restricted causing significant congestion for traffic going to Haymarket. Knock-on effect is congestion in Grove St. Melville Street closed off at Stafford St. so no access to Queensferry St thereby causing congestion in Chester St.

100% Correct. Let's not get started  on other areas of the city.

Good luck to motorists on Sunday, whilst the Edinburgh marathon is taking place.

Manse Road turned into some sort of bus gate where it meets St John’s road. Wtf is there even a bus route on that road. 😂

The Jazz Emu

Lower Main Street here in North Berwick was like a fly in ointment this morning. 

Dennis Reynolds
4 hours ago, Dazo said:

Manse Road turned into some sort of bus gate where it meets St John’s road. Wtf is there even a bus route on that road. 😂

There was definitely plans to put a bus gate down near Leith Links on a road that has no busses on it so its entirely possible.

William H. Bonney

Glengyle terrace, shortcut from the meadows to bruntsfield place. It's one way only and at the junction with bruntsfield you have 2 lanes, one for left and one for right turn. 

Now, the right turn lane has been made into a cycle lane for cyclists coming towards you, on the narrowest of narrow streets. 

It's seems a ludicrous decision and an accident waiting. 

periodictabledancer

Carnage at Chesser pre Harry Styles teen love fest. Complete grid lock. 

They tell me it happens every time there's an event on at Murrayfield. 

I've spent last three days driving all across the city and the state of Edinburgh roads is indeed a disgrace. 

Special mention for Myreside. The worst of the worst by a long way. 

ArcticJambo
51 minutes ago, OBE said:

Well that's Coburg St, Dock St and Sandport Pl all ***ked with huge planters...

Is that the Ferry Road - Coburg St - Dock Street - onto Commercial Street route out permanently then? Id so then that's me having to go Junction st - foot of the walk - links then onto Seafield Rd, which can sometimes be okay, otherwise ....:vangry:

On a different note .

What is the best visually approach to Edinburgh .

There's a few.

The outskirts and the approach to the city centre from lots of routes are stunning.

9 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Is that the Ferry Road - Coburg St - Dock Street - onto Commercial Street route out permanently then? Id so then that's me having to go Junction st - foot of the walk - links then onto Seafield Rd, which can sometimes be okay, otherwise ....:vangry:

Aye, Sandport Pl is becoming  "National cycle route 75". Motorists that used the route to travel East, are being channeled along Gt Junctions St and Commercial St, creating even more congestion...💡 

Edited by OBE

5 hours ago, OBE said:

Aye, Sandport Pl is becoming  "National cycle route 75". Motorists that used the route to travel East, are being channeled along Gt Junctions St and Commercial St, creating even more congestion...💡 

That'll be commercial street that is nose to tail already being hit with the Coburg St traffic, then add in a priority crossing for the cycle route, extra delays as the trams will have priority at Newhaven and Bernard street and it being the only exit for anyone shopping in Aldi......sure that'll bring lovely fresh, uncongested air to Leith

4 hours ago, Ribble said:

That'll be commercial street that is nose to tail already being hit with the Coburg St traffic, then add in a priority crossing for the cycle route, extra delays as the trams will have priority at Newhaven and Bernard street and it being the only exit for anyone shopping in Aldi......sure that'll bring lovely fresh, uncongested air to Leith

Some bugger is deliberately creating more air pollution in Leith. Dock St, is just a lane into Kinloch Anderson and Aldi, yes. I can't see why they are deliberately delaying the same amount of traffic vacating the city perimeter...it is madness...🤡

Edited by OBE

Stuart Lyon

I think the CeC come up with harebrained ideas that concentrate traffic causing congestion and pollution. This then justifies even more harebrained traffic schemes because of poor air quality.

Howdy Doody Jambo

How do emergency vehicles with lives at risk navigate their way around this cryptic maze the only reason for this is that the selfish clowncilors / city road planner's that are cycling fanatics with a personal vendetta against motorists and have all this power to make all the decisions that benefit their own will , where is the diversity and good for all 

Melville Street what is that all about, millions spent on a cycle lane on a very quiet street,does it justify the means?

Naw planters,bollards road closures, gang gathering parklets, crumbling road's, broken pavements, potholes etc,etc

No common sense 

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

The wooden rubbish collectors look terrible.

:interehjrling:

Jeffros Furios
12 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Shandon Place reopened at last!

Aye but there's now temporary lights at Meggetland :vangry:

joondalupjambo

At some point here folk will work out it is easier to walk more 🙂

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Exactly these poor fireman and emergency services are going to have to carry their gear and walk fast because the clowncil have closed the streets with concrete blocks and chopped down hundreds of trees to build thousands of wooden planters to block road's 

7 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

How do emergency vehicles with lives at risk navigate their way around this cryptic maze the only reason for this is that the selfish clowncilors / city road planner's that are cycling fanatics with a personal vendetta against motorists and have all this power to make all the decisions that benefit their own will , where is the diversity and good for all 

Melville Street what is that all about, millions spent on a cycle lane on a very quiet street,does it justify the means?

Naw planters,bollards road closures, gang gathering parklets, crumbling road's, broken pavements, potholes etc,etc

No common sense 

Coburg St was/is the pits, cobbles breaking through the thin layer of tarmac.

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

At what time do you recommend I start walking from my East Lothian village to West Edinburgh, I start at 6am? 🥴

joondalupjambo
21 minutes ago, OBE said:

At what time do you recommend I start walking from my East Lothian village to West Edinburgh, I start at 6am? 🥴

Sorry in the context of people living in Edinburgh I was meaning.  We walked from our flat near the Botanics to the office at Chesser most days unless is was a howling bad day. Out of interest have you have chosen to live where you do, work where you do and  have signed up to your hours?   Assuming you are employed of course. That must be sh itty daily commute if you have to go the bypass?

Edited by joondalupjambo

4 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Sorry in the context of people living in Edinburgh I was meaning.  We walked from our flat near the Botanics to the office at Chesser most days unless is was a howling bad day. Out of interest have you have chosen to live where you do, work where you do and  have signed up to your hours?  That must be sh itty daily commute is it?

Where I live, house has been in the family, 4 gens and was shitpence, it kinda chose me. Work, 46 year's in the same place, my Grandfather stated "he'd break my back rather than see me down an East lothian pit". Hours are continental, 4 on 4 off, 30% enhancement on basic. Should've retired last Sept, but heidcase Putin's invasion of Ukraine, blew a big hole in my AVC's, they were my gateway to early retirement. Putin needs slotted asap!...🤞

joondalupjambo
21 minutes ago, OBE said:

Where I live, house has been in the family, 4 gens and was shitpence, it kinda chose me. Work, 46 year's in the same place, my Grandfather stated "he'd break my back rather than see me down an East lothian pit". Hours are continental, 4 on 4 off, 30% enhancement on basic. Should've retired last Sept, but heidcase Putin's invasion of Ukraine, blew a big hole in my AVC's, they were my gateway to early retirement. Putin needs slotted asap!...🤞

Wow hats off 👍

And what a bummer.  Retire you will be surprised how little you actually need.

Unless of course the hole is so big it is impossible.  Life very short.

23 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Wow hats off 👍

And what a bummer.  Retire you will be surprised how little you actually need.

Unless of course the hole is so big it is impossible.  Life very short.

Thanks, Bud! Extra pension was to tide me over until state pension kicked in, early 2027...A retired gentleman I know said "an event will take place, then you'll know when to retire". Anyway back on topic...feckin planters everywhere...😊

On 30/05/2023 at 11:01, Ribble said:

Love it when a prophecy comes true, Lothian buses were diverted up north junction street/great junction street today due to excess traffic on Commercial Street

• 1 month later...