U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Just now, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I’m not arguing the fact he said it. 

You're trying to justify him saying it. The guy is a racist bigoted moron, end of story. Anyone who supports him needs their heads examined. 

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

alwaysthereinspirit
24 minutes ago, XB52 said:

You're trying to justify him saying it. The guy is a racist bigoted moron, end of story. Anyone who supports him needs their heads examined. 

He has no reason to justify what he said.

People have to stop taking only those words and not quoting the complete questions and answers from that day.

Do you know for a fact that he’s a racist bigoted moron?

I would say the answer is no.

35 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Plus he has also used the presidency to enrich himself and his family.  The amount of taxpayers' money that has gone to his companies in the last four years probably runs into the hundreds of millions.

No American President in modern times has done that, maybe no President ever.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Happy? Satisfied is probably the word I’d use given the two choices we have. Biden/Harris are nowhere close to being the right choice. She scares the $#!t out off me. 

Oooh! So black women scare you, too?

Says all we need to know🧐

I'm pulling your plonker. Course i am. Nobody could seriously support Trump's racist support for the Nazis AND come out as anti- powerful black women on the one thread. Not on JKB at last. 

alwaysthereinspirit
35 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Plus he has also used the presidency to enrich himself and his family.  The amount of taxpayers' money that has gone to his companies in the last four years probably runs into the hundreds of millions.

No American President in modern times has done that, maybe no President ever.

😩 hundreds of millions?

Please G-d give me the strength to get through the next two weeks on this thread.

And to not upset the moderator(s) in even the slightest, lightest of ways.

alwaysthereinspirit
5 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Oooh! So black women scare you, too?

Says all we need to know🧐

I'm pulling your plonker. Course i am. Nobody could seriously support Trump's racist support for the Nazis AND come out as anti- powerful black women on the one thread. Not on JKB at last. 

Spit it out. 😜

YOU won’t get banned.

3 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

😩 hundreds of millions?

Please G-d give me the strength to get through the next two weeks on this thread.

Then you had better not ask where Hunter is 

alwaysthereinspirit
19 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

Then you had better not ask where Hunter is 

Living it up I’d guess. Using other countries taxpayers money. If stories are to be believed. 🙄

19 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Comparisons with 2016 are interesting, but I wonder how relevant they are.  Yes, of course, polls can change dramatically in two weeks.  Nevertheless, current polls indicate a Biden victory, even a substantial victory, and that's what I choose to believe for no other reason that it makes me feel better. :wink:

Another significant change from 2016 is the number of people who have already voted.  It's up to 27 million according to what I read this evening, which is significantly higher than 2016.  Those votes are in, which means that nothing Trump or Biden can say will change them. 

A Biden victory would make me feel better as well.  But I do have an abiding interest in the mechanics of elections, voting patterns, and attempts to predict both, so I can't help concentrating on what I think might happen regardless of whether I think that's a good outcome or not.

The two most important factors that led to a Trump win in 2016 are still very much present in 2020. 

The second most important is that the Democrats are running a candidate who doesn't inspire support for change.  Voting against the incumbent, even one as childish, vile and incompetent as Donald Trump, probably isn't enough of a motivation to win, but that's all Clinton had to offer and it's all Biden has to offer.

The most important is that it's the turn of the Republican party to win.  Every eight years since 1952 the White House has changed hands from one party to the other.  That sequence has only ever been broken once, when Ronald Reagan won in 1980, and it is a tough pattern to overcome.

Right now, the polls are following a similar pattern to 2016, and they have been doing so since late September.  That pattern may hold or it may not, but either way it is both relevant and fascinating.

There are also some State polls indicating that comparisons between 2020 and 2016 are less relevant, but they have a weaker influence.  Time will tell, I s'pose.

13 hours ago, JackLadd said:

There is defo something amiss in anyone voting Trump TWICE. Your bud might have high cognitive intelligence but he has the emotional intelligence of a hissy chimpanzee if he can't see through Trump..

You might read my post again and let me know where in it you found any of "my bud", a male, or indeed one person. 

Having said that, their thinking is straightforward enough.  One believes in reducing the size and influence of the federal government and votes Republican with an occasional dalliance with the likes of Ross Perot and the Libertarians.  The other just wants lower taxes regardless of the consequences.

7 hours ago, King prawn said:

Possibly highlighting one of the issues that comes with having a two party political system. If you couldn't possibly vote for the other side then that can result in what we have now, millions of people voting for an utterly despicable human being just because he is the nominee for that party. 

Yep, but that's how the system works.  You vote for your candidate in the primaries, and if you don't get the candidate you want then you have to choose between voting for the candidate you don't want, voting for the other side, or opting out.  Maybe that's why turnouts are so low.

9 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

You’ll find my explanations on why personally agree with some things he’s done that have impacted me and my family personally/financially way back in this thread. 

I pretty much didn't even comment on his administration or what they have done that may benefit or not benefit anybody at all. Even if I had I frankly wouldn't be inclined to go digging around a thread to find how he benefits you.

You provided absolutely nothing to negate anything I actually did say which was regarding the aftermath of his election loss. 

22 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

What’s the record for most hysterical $#!te written in one post? This has to be a leading contender. Please don’t ever stop posting on this thread.  Your own special kind of crazy keep me amused daily.

“FBI, CIA and IRS despise him”

Flee to Russia”

🤦‍♂️

Trump himself raised the possibility of leaving the country, so it's not really hysterical to discuss it.

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

😩 hundreds of millions?

You're not very well informed, are you?  And that is just his golf trips.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-golf-mar-a-lago-taxpayers_n_5e4712b9c5b64d860fcab86c?ri18n=true

There are numerous other ways that the Trumps have shovelled taxpayer money in their direction. Figure it out for yourself.  Maybe your G-d can give you the strength to do a little research.

Post within the rules and and you won't upset the moderator(s) in even the slightest, lightest of ways.

alwaysthereinspirit
20 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I pretty much didn't even comment on his administration or what they have done that may benefit or not benefit anybody at all. Even if I had I frankly wouldn't be inclined to go digging around a thread to find how he benefits you.

You provided absolutely nothing to negate anything I actually did say which was regarding the aftermath of his election loss. 

Stop waffling. 

The aftermath of the next election was never mentioned in the post I answered.

Stay Well.

alwaysthereinspirit
6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

You're not very well informed, are you?  And that is just his golf trips.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-golf-mar-a-lago-taxpayers_n_5e4712b9c5b64d860fcab86c?ri18n=true

There are numerous other ways that the Trumps have shovelled taxpayer money in their direction. Figure it out for yourself.  Maybe your G-d can give you the strength to do a little research.

Post within the rules and and you won't upset the moderator(s) in even the slightest, lightest of ways.

😘
Is wishing another human death within YOUR rules?

Edited by alwaysthereinspirit

A Boy Named Crow
31 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The most important is that it's the turn of the Republican party to win.  Every eight years since 1952 the White House has changed hands from one party to the other.  That sequence has only ever been broken once, when Ronald Reagan won in 1980, and it is a tough pattern to overcome.

You're forgetting Bush Snr, no? A one term Republican who served between Regan and Clinton. So there was a twelve year stint of Republicans from 80 to 92.

Really what you're saying is,  since 1980, every president has done two terms, then handed over to the other side...except Bush Snr who only did one. 

Maybe Trump is more Bushlike than Clintonesque...

31 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

alwaysthereinspirit
15 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Trump himself raised the possibility of leaving the country, so it's not really hysterical to discuss it.

Probably a dig at all the left leaning Hollywood types who swore they’d leave the country if Trump won. Not one left.

Sure  he never mentioned Russia as a destination either.

6 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Stop waffling. 

The aftermath of the next election was never mentioned in the post I answered.

Stay Well.

You know, with all due respect, I'm beginning to consider you somewhat bizarre. The aftermath of the election was all it was about. Let me quote you the very first sentence of it.

If he loses he's in the shit on multiple fronts. 

alwaysthereinspirit
2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You know, with all due respect, I'm beginning to consider you somewhat bizarre. The aftermath of the election was all it was about. Let me quote you the very first sentence of it.

That’s not the post you quoted from me.

Bizzare to say the least.

Stay Well.

17 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

That’s not the post you quoted from me.

Bizzare to say the least.

Stay Well.

Bizarre indeed. Here it is, the link that started it with you quoting me, and all I have ever discussed with you.

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/181731-donald-trump/&do=findComment&comment=8134152

J.T.F.Robertson
10 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Honestly, they're all a bunch of ****ed-up weirdos!

Sadly it's mankind's inevitable destiny, nowt we could ever have done about it, our "make-up" never would allow it.

As for anyone trying to defend the thread subject, whether his "policies" (tax "relief" for the already obscenely wealthy won't get it done after his, couldn't give a shit, handling of the "China" virus) have benefitted you personally or otherwise will not matter a jot if he's given another 4. He has only slightly less contempt for you than he does his adversaries and will screw you when you're no longer useful.

The majority of the rest of us on this rock will not thank you for it. Still, it's all about "getting on".

alwaysthereinspirit
20 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Bizarre indeed. Here it is, the link that started it with you quoting me, and all I have ever discussed with you.

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/181731-donald-trump/&do=findComment&comment=8134152

I don’t care if that’s the link that started it. That’s from 23 hours ago. And I answered that post. Pretty much immediately.

You then quoted me in a post from 11 hours ago. Nothing to do with your original ramblings.

Stay Well.

1 minute ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I don’t care if that’s the link that started it. That’s from 23 hours ago. And I answered that post. Pretty much immediately.

You then quoted me in a post from 11 hours ago. Nothing to do with your original ramblings.

Stay Well.

You're becoming more bizarre. Each post I made was simply a continuation of the link l already provided you. Go ahead. Show me where it became anything else.

alwaysthereinspirit
11 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You're becoming more bizarre. Each post I made was simply a continuation of the link l already provided you. Go ahead. Show me where it became anything else.

Leave me alone. I’m trying to watch Fox and football at the same time. I can win fantasy this week if Elliot has a decent game.

Stay Well.

J.T.F.Robertson
9 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Leave me alone. I’m trying to watch Fox and football at the same time. I can win fantasy this week if Elliot has a decent game.

Stay Well.

"Man, mind thyself". 😛

22 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Stay Well.

Well if you want to be left alone here's my advice. You don't quote me with nothing to say then continue quoting me while becoming ever more bizarre all while offering absolutely nothing to support your bizarre rambling.

If you don't get how bizarre you have become during this entire exchange that's an issue. You just suffered an ignominious outing due to your own insistence on talking with nothing to say.

A last word type of person. A mentality thinking if I just say something else, anything else, regardless of how detached from the actual topic it is, I'm still going somewhere. You're not, you're standing still in a deepening bizarro pool.

Stay bizarre, but I advise not trying it with me because I cannot be deflected from an issue no matter how bizarre you become.

2 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

You're forgetting Bush Snr, no? A one term Republican who served between Regan and Clinton. So there was a twelve year stint of Republicans from 80 to 92.

Really what you're saying is,  since 1980, every president has done two terms, then handed over to the other side...except Bush Snr who only did one. 

Maybe Trump is more Bushlike than Clintonesque...

I see what you're getting at, but I'm factoring Bush Senior into my calculations. 

Starting in 1952, the party which won the presidential election went on to hold the White House for two terms.  The only time that didn't happen was in 1980, when Reagan beat the incumbent Carter. 

If Reagan hadn't won in 1980 the sequence would have been

1952, 1956 - Republican

1960, 1964 - Democrat

1968, 1972 - Republican

1976, 1980 - Democrat (*)

1984, 1988 - Republican

1992, 1996 - Democrat

2000, 2004 - Republican

2008, 2012 - Democrat

2016, 2020 - Republican (to be decided)

Reagan's win in 1980 knocked that sequence out, leaving the Democrats on 1 in a row followed by 3 in a row for the GOP - and it's the only time that's happened.  It's not even a case of two-term presidents or support for incumbents.  In 1968 Lyndon Johnson was shafted by his own party, while Gerald Ford was seen off by the electorate in 1976 (so Bush Senior has company, in other words).

1952 was a watershed in U.S. presidential elections, because it was the first election to take place after the introduction of the two term limit.  Ever since then, there seems to be a pendulum effect where the voters give a candidate or a party two terms in the White House and then vote for change.  In 1980, the one year the sequence wasn't followed, the Carter presidency had been a nightmare period for the American economy.  That, coupled with the Iran hostage fiasco, tilted the balance Reagan's way.  You'd expect something similar to happen in 2020 given Donald Trump's incompetence in the face of the Covid-19 situation - but in the political times we're living in that might not be the case. 

Anyway, that pendulum effect is why I've said that Trump won in 2016 because after eight years of a Democrat president it was the Republican party's turn. 

The other phenomenon observed since 1952 with incumbent presidents is that they usually win bigger the second time around than the first. Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, and Bush Junior all won by more at the second attempt.  Obama didn't, and Trump is struggling.  Maybe that's another sign of the political times we're living in.

A Boy Named Crow
21 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Got it now. I'd say these are crazy days we're living in now though.  To quote the investment ads, past performance does not indicate future returns (or something)

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

47 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I see what you're getting at, but I'm factoring Bush Senior into my calculations. 

Starting in 1952, the party which won the presidential election went on to hold the White House for two terms.  The only time that didn't happen was in 1980, when Reagan beat the incumbent Carter. 

If Reagan hadn't won in 1980 the sequence would have been

1952, 1956 - Republican

1960, 1964 - Democrat

1968, 1972 - Republican

1976, 1980 - Democrat (*)

1984, 1988 - Republican

1992, 1996 - Democrat

2000, 2004 - Republican

2008, 2012 - Democrat

2016, 2020 - Republican (to be decided)

Reagan's win in 1980 knocked that sequence out, leaving the Democrats on 1 in a row followed by 3 in a row for the GOP - and it's the only time that's happened.  It's not even a case of two-term presidents or support for incumbents.  In 1968 Lyndon Johnson was shafted by his own party, while Gerald Ford was seen off by the electorate in 1976 (so Bush Senior has company, in other words).

1952 was a watershed in U.S. presidential elections, because it was the first election to take place after the introduction of the two term limit.  Ever since then, there seems to be a pendulum effect where the voters give a candidate or a party two terms in the White House and then vote for change.  In 1980, the one year the sequence wasn't followed, the Carter presidency had been a nightmare period for the American economy.  That, coupled with the Iran hostage fiasco, tilted the balance Reagan's way.  You'd expect something similar to happen in 2020 given Donald Trump's incompetence in the face of the Covid-19 situation - but in the political times we're living in that might not be the case. 

Anyway, that pendulum effect is why I've said that Trump won in 2016 because after eight years of a Democrat president it was the Republican party's turn. 

The other phenomenon observed since 1952 with incumbent presidents is that they usually win bigger the second time around than the first. Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, and Bush Junior all won by more at the second attempt.  Obama didn't, and Trump is struggling.  Maybe that's another sign of the political times we're living in.

I think you're looking for normality in an abnormal situation. This man is beyond incompetent in normal terms. Even after 4 years he knows absolutely nothing about how government actually works and has no interest in listening to anyone who does nor learning how it works. His attention span doesn't stretch that far.

He knows absolutely nothing about economics, geopolitics, alliances, anything at all about governance, and again has zero interest in listening to anyone who does have expertise in these fields nor learning anything about them.

This is a dystopian abnormal situation you appear to be trying to extract normality from.

7 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

😶

122033835_876027876266607_5353074882750774350_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=x4kq27yJSwIAX8W7yAd&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.fna&oh=d0b81f715426e12eb88bd396ce58e669&oe=5FB562D3

The entire stupidity is simply classic Trump era Republicans. It's like an SNL skit. In fact I bet SNL wish they had written this as a fictional skit.

47 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The entire stupidity is simply classic Trump era Republicans. It's like an SNL skit. In fact I bet SNL wish they had written this as a fictional skit.

Bah. This has been brewing for decades.

6 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Shake shake the room?

Delusional Trump trolls posting fiction from mom's bedroom?

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Delusional Trump trolls posting fiction from mom's bedroom?

I think it's just a reflection on the words of former RNC Chairman, Michael Steele, stating he will vote for Biden
"As I’ve reflected on matters of leadership, decency, and constitutional norms I am reminded of the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who said, “A man dies when he refuses to take a stand for that which is true.” Character matters. Our vote matters. The leader we choose matters. I cannot be silent, and I hope neither can you because we know a vote for Joe Biden is what is best for our country — because America matters."

Boom indeed!

10 minutes ago, RobboM said:

“A man dies when he refuses to take a stand for that which is true.” Character matters. Our vote matters. The leader we choose matters. I cannot be silent, and I hope neither can you because we know a vote for Joe Biden is what is best for our country — because America matters."

Patently it doesn't matter to everybody. Baffles me what does matter to them.

A small thing, but to me I would find it hard to vote for a man who is President of the United States or anywhere else who uses the term ******* to describe the media. A term many use bu and I will give you an example of how hurtful it can be to some, just like ugly racial expressions. I had a cousin who was illegitimate, he joined the navy. When he came home on leave one time he was crying when he told my mother how the Petty Officer when scolding the men a lazy, idle, or tardy he always added the word ******* to them. Ernie said I am a ******* and they use it the word like we are all terrible people, I had no choice its what I am, and here is the President a world leader using it on television to describe a group he hates. If there is only one present day Ernie who is offended its one too many. I see whilst editing that the word is seen as offensive enough to blank ouit.

Edited by Sharpie

Makes you wonder about Donald....she's been out and about

Melania has 'lingering cough', won't travel out of 'caution'

We reported earlier that First Lady Melania Trump will not be joining the president at a rally in Erie, Pennsylvania later today, due to an ongoing cough.

A little more to add from her spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham, who said in a statement: "Mrs Trump continues to feel better every day following her recovery from Covid-19, but with a lingering cough, and out of an abundance of caution, she will not be traveling today."

Article share tools

Mrs Bostonjambo just came barreling the door exclaiming that she needs to vote right now, and where is the site for doing so.

I don't know what triggered her, perhaps an encounter at work with a Trumper, or maybe just five years of putting up with that nut job and his policies.  I feel that is how so many feel right now, just get this over with and start the rebuild.

One of the good things about living in Massachusetts , a true blue state, is when you encounter a Trumper  you just look at him smugly, all the time realizing that his vote doesn't even count. They might as well not even show up at the polls, Mass is a blue state.

And yes I have been day drinking!

3 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

Makes a change from citing Alex Jones I suppose. But only marginally better.

Overall, we rate Fox News strongly Right-Biased due to editorial positions and story selection that favors the right. We also rate them Mixed factually and borderline Questionable based on poor sourcing and the spreading of conspiracy theories that later must be retracted after being widely shared. 

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news/

27 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

At least it a decent source and not a Republican shill or anyone tied to Trump.

Or on Fox News...

Oh wait....

40 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

Are these actual emails which would include key, and revealing,  metadata or are they just "artists impressions" created some time after the alleged drunk Hunter Biden looky-likey walked into the blind computer repairman's shop 😂

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

A small thing, but to me I would find it hard to vote for a man who is President of the United States or anywhere else who uses the term ******* to describe the media. A term many use bu and I will give you an example of how hurtful it can be to some, just like ugly racial expressions. I had a cousin who was illegitimate, he joined the navy. When he came home on leave one time he was crying when he told my mother how the Petty Officer when scolding the men a lazy, idle, or tardy he always added the word ******* to them. Ernie said I am a ******* and they use it the word like we are all terrible people, I had no choice its what I am, and here is the President a world leader using it on television to describe a group he hates. If there is only one present day Ernie who is offended its one too many. I see whilst editing that the word is seen as offensive enough to blank ouit.

Bob, you're a true gentleman but I think on this one it's a bit OTT to relate the term b4574rd to the old term,  'illegitimate'. Time and language have moved on. Children born out of wedlock are commonplace; even our own prime minister has a few.  And the word itself is used almost affectionately, at least within friendship groups; obviously not when referring to football officials. 

However, I'm completely with you that it's not a word I'd expect to hear from a president or prime minister when making a public address. Biden said it, too, to a bunch of soldiers. I thought then that he was running a risk of losing a few puritanical voters but now Trump has evened it up. Whilst Biden said it with a note of ribaldry, trump's use of it was more viscous. 

4 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Makes you wonder about Donald....she's been out and about

Melania has 'lingering cough', won't travel out of 'caution'

We reported earlier that First Lady Melania Trump will not be joining the president at a rally in Erie, Pennsylvania later today, due to an ongoing cough.

A little more to add from her spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham, who said in a statement: "Mrs Trump continues to feel better every day following her recovery from Covid-19, but with a lingering cough, and out of an abundance of caution, she will not be traveling today."

Article share tools
  •  
  •  

I have a special lotion I could administer to her tonsils from a specially designed dispenser which delivers the lotion at body temperature. I imagine that at least one of us would feel better.

31 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Are these actual emails which would include key, and revealing,  metadata or are they just "artists impressions" created some time after the alleged drunk Hunter Biden looky-likey walked into the blind computer repairman's shop 😂

Haha oh they're definitely artists' impressions.

The funny part is, even before all this, anyone who is actually sick of the constant pisstaking by politicians when it comes to this high level type of corruption, was absolutely hoping the Bidens would get investigated. Them and every other politician who engaged in this "generally accepted" form of corruption.

Trumpanzees will turn the blindest of eyes to his and his family's open and notorious corrupt activities—brazenly using the American political apparatus as they have to enrich themselves (DUR BUT HE DONATES HIS SALARY :rolleyes:), but they'll work themselves into a frothing rage at this made up story.

And that's not to say BlueMAGA won't also hear no evil and see no evil. Meanwhile, any objective person wishes whatever favours were actually done for and by Hunter would be investigated and deemed wrong so that the practice generally will be slowed, because it is a massive part of the rot of the American political system.

20 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think you're looking for normality in an abnormal situation. This man is beyond incompetent in normal terms. Even after 4 years he knows absolutely nothing about how government actually works and has no interest in listening to anyone who does nor learning how it works. His attention span doesn't stretch that far.

He knows absolutely nothing about economics, geopolitics, alliances, anything at all about governance, and again has zero interest in listening to anyone who does have expertise in these fields nor learning anything about them.

This is a dystopian abnormal situation you appear to be trying to extract normality from.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Passion and conviction are all well and good, but they are no substitute for analysis.

You're arguing about what you think should happen.  I'm describing what is. 

Donald Trump is the Republican candidate.  Republican supporters are going to vote for him.  That's just how it is. 

20 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Got it now. I'd say these are crazy days we're living in now though.  To quote the investment ads, past performance does not indicate future returns (or something)

We'll have to wait and see.  Right now, the poll curve is following 2016.  The question is whether it will continue to do so, and whether anyone can do a Comey-style number on Biden.

18 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Bah. This has been brewing for decades.

Yep - though maybe only up to a point.  The modern Republican Party was born out of the defeat of Goldwater in 1964.  Goldwater was hammered at the polls, but from then on the modern American political landscape began to form.  Many of the moderate/liberal grandees of the Republican Party of the day refused to be associated with Goldwater and his hawkish military and fiscal policies.  But two figures who did stand by him were Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan, both of whom would go on to be President.  Reagan in particular carved out the modern conservative identity of the party.

That said, the period after 1991 was another story, and following the collapse of the Soviet Union both American politics and the Republican Party evolved further into something that perhaps Nixon, Reagan and Goldwater might not have recognised all that well.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)