U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Defense Sec. Mattis resigned abruptly this evening, clearly over Trump going over his strong objections on Syria.

It feels a lot like the beginning of the end, but I'm still not sure what the end of the end looks like.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Barack said:

I see Beto O' Rourke has been having meetings with President Obama. Getting tips.

Screenshot_20181112-210434_Google.jpg.1b537e7540d5655f742bfba010197e59.jpg

Need someone to energise the base for 2020. Surprised he's actually going for Presidential election. Would make a good VP choice, for same reasons.

Beto as President, and Obama back, shaking up the Constitution, & running as VP...

:scenes:

*Disclaimer : I'm aware of the legal interpretation of the 22nd Amendment & the 12th, about such things. 

It's open to interpretation, put it that way...

TBH I think Beto himself is a little skeptical of the President talk (as he well should be). VP might be a good shout but he also would be a good pick as Interior Sec. or probably better yet, DNC Chair.

55 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Defense Sec. Mattis resigned abruptly this evening, clearly over Trump going over his strong objections on Syria.

It feels a lot like the beginning of the end, but I'm still not sure what the end of the end looks like.

The suggestion is that Trump who listens to Rush Limbaugh and watches Fox news in the morning to see how he is doing, panicked at what Limbaugh was saying. Video shows Limbaugh opening a note from Trump saying he will not sign a bill that does not give him his five billion. I seems that Trump is totally controlled by his hard right Senate support, and his right wing media. As a result Trump refuses to sign the Bill he said last night he would, it seems now that the Government shut down will happen, as the changed Bills will not get through the Senate.

He receives a letter of resignation from his Defence Secretary and tweets that he has retired. The letter of resignation shows this to be, no prizes if you guess what,...  a lie.

Just watching the c overage on all stations fake news ones and Fox, I am now changing my bet from Trump out before end of first term, to a risky but sincere prediction of Trump out before end of this month. Anyone who has had any regular dealings with people of all kinds will I am sure like myself have serious questions about the mental stability of this man, probably promulgated by his absolute dependence on Putin not making public what control he has over him. This episode in American history can only have a tragic conclusion, who will be  hurt most is the question.

J.T.F.Robertson

Bob, the idiot will also be hoping to claim victory over ISIS since he's now decided on the troop withdrawal, all "achieved" during his administration. They pull out now and it's "here we go round the merry-go-round", all over again.

I watched his PC today where he was rambling on about his wall, (someone has described as a 14th century answer to a 21st century problem, although it did work for China I suppose :curtain:( and there was his bum boy, Pence, standing at his side, nodding away like the puppet he is. What a comical farce it all is, the only one with any bollox appears to be Lyndsey Graham, though I'd imagine he (as they all do) has his own agenda.

Please, someone, nail this *******!

Trump is the sort that would nuke NK or Iran as a last act of vindictiveness. I hope they take him before he's able to do such evil.

2 hours ago, bobsharp said:

The suggestion is that Trump who listens to Rush Limbaugh and watches Fox news in the morning to see how he is doing, panicked at what Limbaugh was saying. Video shows Limbaugh opening a note from Trump saying he will not sign a bill that does not give him his five billion. I seems that Trump is totally controlled by his hard right Senate support, and his right wing media. As a result Trump refuses to sign the Bill he said last night he would, it seems now that the Government shut down will happen, as the changed Bills will not get through the Senate.

He receives a letter of resignation from his Defence Secretary and tweets that he has retired. The letter of resignation shows this to be, no prizes if you guess what,...  a lie.

Just watching the c overage on all stations fake news ones and Fox, I am now changing my bet from Trump out before end of first term, to a risky but sincere prediction of Trump out before end of this month. Anyone who has had any regular dealings with people of all kinds will I am sure like myself have serious questions about the mental stability of this man, probably promulgated by his absolute dependence on Putin not making public what control he has over him. This episode in American history can only have a tragic conclusion, who will be  hurt most is the question.

I hope you're right about the end of the house of Borgia, I mean Trump. :)Although that also means we lose your great commentary of these events. :( Hopefully his successor will have your focus on them.  ?

Edited by ri Alban

42 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Not incidentally, the US stock market is in freefall. The worst week of decline since the crash of 2008.

That has been coming for a while, heard on Bloomberg that if it continues to fall like it's been for another week or so, by the end of the year, the Dow could have seen loses not seen since the Great Depression of 1929.

And some new data has shown that the American economy has stalled, all the signs are there that another crash is on the way, and what does Trump do, he starts trade wars, great thinking Donald, but what do you expect from a serial bankrupt, but there's one thing for sure, it'll all be somebody else's fault, not his.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That has been coming for a while, heard on Bloomberg that if it continues to fall like it's been for another week or so, by the end of the year, the Dow could have seen loses not seen since the Great Depression of 1929.

And some new data has shown that the American economy has stalled, all the signs are there that another crash is on the way, and what does Trump do, he starts trade wars, great thinking Donald, but what do you expect from a serial bankrupt, but there's one thing for sure, it'll all be somebody else's fault, not his.

As long as its "trade wars" and not military ones, you know how "a good war" has been used as a distraction before?

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

As long as its "trade wars" and not military ones, you know how "a good war" has been used as a distraction before?

Now that the last adult has left the room and it's now the likes of John Bolton who is now advising Trump, Iran will now be firmly in the crosshairs.

38 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Now that the last adult has left the room and it's now the likes of John Bolton who is now advising Trump, Iran will now be firmly in the crosshairs.

Thats what you would think but Trump in his move to withdraw from Syria has just given Iran with their Russian ally free rein in a major part of the Middle East. A move that cost him his Secretary of Defence. It has also cost him at least for now the support of a number of his Republican supporters. He is also talking about withdrawl from  Afghanistan. If only his father had known how to practise withdrawl he would have saved us all a lot of angst.

Thats what you would think but Trump in his move to withdraw from Syria has just given Iran with their Russian ally free rein in a major part of the Middle East. A move that cost him his Secretary of Defence. It has also cost him at least for now the support of a number of his Republican supporters. He is also talking about withdrawl from  Afghanistan. If only his father had known how to practise withdrawl he would have saved us all a lot of angst.

:oohmatron:

J.T.F.Robertson

Just finished watching a black Republican on Cuomo defending Trump's near every move, probaby shouldn't, but "Uncle Tom" came to mind. How any member of a "minority" can delude themselves into believing that this privileged, ego-maniac has their best interests at heart, I cannot even begin to fathom. Fair enough, a white bigot / desperate Republican, but your "regular" black guy?

Where be the old Black Panthers when you really need them?

1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Just finished watching a black Republican on Cuomo defending Trump's near every move, probaby shouldn't, but "Uncle Tom" came to mind. How any member of a "minority" can delude themselves into believing that this privileged, ego-maniac has their best interests at heart, I cannot even begin to fathom. Fair enough, a white bigot / desperate Republican, but your "regular" black guy?

Where be the old Black Panthers when you really need them?

Quite possibly Allen West. Utterly delusional.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Watching Fahrenheit 11/9. Creepy @#£#@@##£. 

Obama ya dirty @#£_£, what you did on flint is unforgivable. Snyder should be locked up.  Trump is on your hands.

9 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Which is exactly the whole point of this.

Iran now has unfettered access to the Israeli border, and what do you think America's response is going to be when Iranian forces start shelling/attacking Israel.

Yip, got it in one, the justification to defend an ally and attack Iran.

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Which is exactly the whole point of this.

Iran now has unfettered access to the Israeli border, and what do you think America's response is going to be when Iranian forces start shelling/attacking Israel.

Yip, got it in one, the justification to defend an ally and attack Iran.

Yes you are quite right, as usual with Trump its something to do with him or his family, Jared being c lose to Israel.. The move also helps his  trade with the Turks who are already buying weapons will buy more so they can totally obliterate the Kurds.

The only wee problem about the whole thing might be that Russia will respond to any aggression against their ally Iran.

Reports out now that Trump discussed Syria with Erdogan. He was told by the Turk that Isis are finished you are not needed so you can get out of Syria.

Trump discussed this with, Pompeo, Bolton, and Mattis they all opined that was not a good move and was too early to do so. Trump I beleive spoke to Erdogan again and unilaterally made the decision against all his advisers advice  to order immediate withdrawl of the two thousand U.S. troops who are there to assist particularly the Kurds. Again follow the money, he needs all the arms or other deals he can get to boost his collapsing economy, and has no concern what the cost to anyone else.

He has lost it totally, he, and I watched it live stated on TV that he would close the government if they did not get what they wanted. He said he would accept the mantle and would be proud to cause closure, now he says that it is the Democrats fault. We have all met liars, but usually when caught they will slink away not this mentally disturbed individual, he completely wipes from his mind and vision the film of his statements. There are some of his supporters claim that he means what he says and believes it is the truth, please convince me that with the evidence presented a normal sane, reasonable thinking person would not even suggest that he was not making a false statement.

If you are of the opinion that I am totall biased and dislike Trump intensely, and that he has serious phsychological problems, you are so correct

I see the toddler n tweet is not "proudly owning this shutdown" as he told Chuck and Nancy at his now backfired media stunt last week. You can read this clown like a clock.

On 30/04/2018 at 16:16, Ulysses said:

This.  The removal of Trump from office - whether by health, impeachment or voluntary exit - has been a central fantasy of some of his opponents since he was elected.

It's not gonna happen.

On 30/04/2018 at 16:30, Ulysses said:

It will not happen, and time is already telling.

On 30/04/2018 at 16:51, Ulysses said:

Mueller will pick off some minor players, that's all. 

Very curious to see if Ulysses still stands by this.

Just watched Rand Paul state how right the President is, that America must get out of all these extended wars, and use the money to rebuild America schools, infrastructure and roads. The should not be fighting but negotiating with Russia, Syria and Iran for a settlement there. He had no response to the question of how he would feel when Turkey slaughters the Kurds on U.S. leaving Syria.

He also went on about immediate withdrawl from Afghanistan, am I wrong in thinking that Britain, Canada, and all the other countries having troops there is because the U.S wanted to go in there after 9/11 to get Al Quaeda.

There is no doubt that negotiation is the way to go, his negotiation with the wee fat man he loves is highly succesful. All Kim wants now is to delay his denuclearisation until America denuclearise theirs and remove all their defensive force from South Korea.Of course no one would suspect that any lovers differences could end up with one of them nuking the other.

Meanwhile the great negotiator and deal maker cannot even make a deal with the Democrats and some of his own people. He is losing staff faster than Hearts are losing points and that is real fast. His presidency is being described as chaotic, he personally is being described as unhinged,he and his family are under investigation in seventeen different cases. The main reason he will not resign just now is that he would lose the protection that his position provides.

Oh by the way Mexico is not going to pay for the wall as promised by the President.

J.T.F.Robertson
18 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Is this creepy or what?

3500.jpg?width=1020&quality=85&auto=form

The whole gang may as well live on the planet, LaLa.

At this time of the year there is nothing nicer to see than a faithful obviously loving couple holding hands dressed immaculately for   a function celebrating their strong christian beliefs., so nice.

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Is this creepy or what?

3500.jpg?width=1020&quality=85&auto=form

The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw that picture was "The Addams Family"

So Der Leader has basically now fired Mattis who was supposed to complete his service at the end of February, the President has told him he is finished 1st January.

Mattis is being replaced by the present Deputy Secretary for foreign affairs, the other ones not Trumps alleged Russian urinary tract ones. This man has minimal military service, a requisite many suggest. He is a former executive with Boeing, and surprisingly having worked for a large aircraft building company is a strong component of the new Space Force.

So we have an acting Attorn ey General, Acting Secretary of Defence, Acting Chief of Staff, and an acting President, A Vice President who on the odd occasion even acts like he is a live human being,  there will soon be more White House actors than there are in Hollywood.

I wish someone would get me the help I need to honestly believe this is December 2018, and not an extended April Fools thing for befuddled minds.

So Der Leader has basically now fired Mattis who was supposed to complete his service at the end of February, the President has told him he is finished 1st January.

Mattis is being replaced by the present Deputy Secretary for foreign affairs, the other ones not Trumps alleged Russian urinary tract ones. This man has minimal military service, a requisite many suggest. He is a former executive with Boeing, and surprisingly having worked for a large aircraft building company is a strong component of the new Space Force.

So we have an acting Attorn ey General, Acting Secretary of Defence, Acting Chief of Staff, and an acting President, A Vice President who on the odd occasion even acts like he is a live human being,  there will soon be more White House actors than there are in Hollywood.

I wish someone would get me the help I need to honestly believe this is December 2018, and not an extended April Fools thing for befuddled minds.

The world's largest nuclear arsenal is controlled by a man with a simple intellect tied to an incredibly fragile ego, who has now isolated himself from even the most toadying of advisors with any expertise at all.

29 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

The world's largest nuclear arsenal is controlled by a man with a simple intellect tied to an incredibly fragile ego, who has now isolated himself from even the most toadying of advisors with any expertise at all.

And as things stand, there is every good reason to presume that will continue to be the case until January 2021, or earlier if he loses the run of himself. :eek:

The Real Maroonblood
46 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

He’s a f*****g @@@@@@@.

17 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

And as things stand, there is every good reason to presume that will continue to be the case until January 2021, or earlier if he loses the run of himself. :eek:

It could last until 2030 if simpering creeps like McConnel continue give him support in matters that they are actually in disagreement with. He went to Trump told him they had a deal and Trump said he would go along with it, Trump beseiged by Rush Limbaugh and other right wing people capitulated and made McConnel look like a fool. McConnel then on Saturday morning stands in the Senate and blames the Democrats for everything. The chinlesss wonder could not concede that his irrational leader had betrayed him, and joined in like work place creeps do praising the boss.

Rand Paul another ass kisser on today saying the President is wonderful, sure he is, I mean the economy is wonderful, except for the people who work for GM , the crashing Dow, the North Korean about turn on the agreements, the pandering to Turkey so they will buy US arms,the total disaster of  leaders quitting necessary departments, secretaries such as Zilke quitting because of possible ethics violations, and all the while film of Vladimir Putin with that justified smug little smile on his face.

15 hours ago, milky_26 said:

us government partial shutdown might last until january according to trump aide

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46668944

The Democrats have no incentive whatsoever to cave to Trump. The border wall funding only passed the House because they're in lame duck session.

All the Democrats in the Senate have to do is block it through the new year, at which point the bill dies and has to be re-passed - - through Speaker Pelosi's House this time, which ain't happening.

And he's on video saying, "I'll own the shutdown" so aside from the minor but still real pain it's causing federal workers and communities dependent on federal services, the Dems just have to say "f--- off" for another week and then they really have him by the balls.

J.T.F.Robertson
19 hours ago, Ugly American said:

"our very talented". I know they're only words, but for feksake.

J.T.F.Robertson
18 hours ago, bobsharp said:

It could last until 2030 if simpering creeps like McConnel continue give him support in matters that they are actually in disagreement with. He went to Trump told him they had a deal and Trump said he would go along with it, Trump beseiged by Rush Limbaugh and other right wing people capitulated and made McConnel look like a fool. McConnel then on Saturday morning stands in the Senate and blames the Democrats for everything. The chinlesss wonder could not concede that his irrational leader had betrayed him, and joined in like work place creeps do praising the boss.

Rand Paul another ass kisser on today saying the President is wonderful, sure he is, I mean the economy is wonderful, except for the people who work for GM , the crashing Dow, the North Korean about turn on the agreements, the pandering to Turkey so they will buy US arms,the total disaster of  leaders quitting necessary departments, secretaries such as Zilke quitting because of possible ethics violations, and all the while film of Vladimir Putin with that justified smug little smile on his face.

His never-ending petulance and general lunacy is currently making mincemeat of my limited set-asides. Where's that tin cup?

21 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

"our very talented". I know they're only words, but for feksake.

He loves the word "very".  The nitwit seems to think that by sticking that word before any adjective, a sentence becomes more convincing.

J.T.F.Robertson
9 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

He loves the word "very".  The nitwit seems to think that by sticking that word before any adjective, a sentence becomes more convincing.

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours, Ron. ;)

5 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours, Ron. ;)

That's very convincing.  :wink:

Same to you Jim.  :thumb:

12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46675051

He is now taking aim at the federal reserve Bank that they are the only problem with the us economy

He was more than happy to claim the credit when the stock market was hitting new highs, citing that it was his policies which were responsible, but now that's it's on the verge of crashing, it's all somebody else's fault, which is just the usual from him.

3 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

His never-ending petulance and general lunacy is currently making mincemeat of my limited set-asides. Where's that tin cup?

Another few trading days before the end of the year and by Jan 1 the Dow and the S&P 500 could be back below the levels they were when he took office.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)