Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Morgan

• Big Drew

• The White Cockade

13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3139.JPG

That is a beautiful Scotland strip.

And look how small Ronnie Simpson is. Don't think you'd get away with a keeper that small now.

Edited by Rudolf

peebles jambo
On 19/02/2019 at 12:49, Morgan said:

Mine too.

Him and Busby were my two favourites.  Do you remember George Donaldson?

No . I can't say I do

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

That is a beautiful Scotland strip.

And look how small Ronnie Simpson is. Don't think you'd get away with a keeper that small now.

I'm struggling with three of them

I make it

Gemmell, Murdoch, McNeill, Simpson, Greig, ??

??, Bremner, Gilzean, ??, Lennox

IMG_3139.JPG

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I make it

IMG_3139.JPG

Charlie Cooke willie Johnston 

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, 1953 said:

Spot on. He was the centre forward, none of that striker nonsense, when I went to my first game.

Set up by Willie Hamilton. My first "away" game.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Alan Gordon played for Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd and Dundee - not many can say that.

Scored a few goals in his career (prolific) so why did Hearts sell him ? 

The trouble with Alan was his brains were all in his heid. (Eddie Turnbull??)

27 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I make it

IMG_3139.JPG

Beside John Greig is Eddie McCreadie.

The photo above;

Back Row; Tommy Gemmell,Ron McKinnon,Billy McNeil,Ronnie Simpson,John Greig and Eddie McCreadie

Front Row; Charlie Cooke,Billy Bremner,Alan Gilzean,Willie Johnston and Bobby Lennox

7 Old Firm players and 4 Anglos

Edited by Torry Jambo

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Charlie Cooke willie Johnston 

50 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Beside John Greig is Eddie McCreadie.

32 minutes ago, Torry Jambo said:

The photo above;

Back Row; Tommy Gemmell,Ron McKinnon,Billy McNeil,Ronnie Simpson,John Greig and Eddie McCreadie

Front Row; Charlie Cooke,Billy Bremner,Alan Gilzean,Willie Johnston and Bobby Lennox

7 Old Firm players and 4 Anglos

Cheers all

Was never convinced in that being Murdoch.

The other ?? I had I wouldn't have got. Didn't recognise Johnston at all. Thought it might have been Joe Harper

Edited by Maroon Sailor

2 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

Looks like Dundee United before they switched to Tangerine. Or Morton.

Convinced it’s Frankfurt. The strips are right for the game and just about make out the eagle on the white top.

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, RobbofordGHC said:

Convinced it’s Frankfurt. The strips are right for the game and just about make out the eagle on the white top.

What year was that if it was Frankfurt ? Strange to see Hearts in all maroon in those days

IMG_2301.thumb.JPG.8d79909e34fc0c2c7502204949dca5e1.JPG.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What year was that if it was Frankfurt ? Strange to see Hearts in all maroon in those days

IMG_2301.thumb.JPG.8d79909e34fc0c2c7502204949dca5e1.JPG.jpg

It was at the end of 68-69. Ernie Winchester’s debut, which is where I had seen the strip before. The picture of Winchester on the the pitch is earlier on this thread and I would assume it could be a one off strip change

jambos are go!
1 hour ago, RobbofordGHC said:

Had it been  against a foreign side both Captains would have had pendants or other memorabilia to exchange.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Had it been  against a foreign side both Captains would have had pendants or other memorabilia to exchange.

It was this match

Monday afternoon - seemed quite a few fans there !

s-l400.jpg.ff7c995c511374618f7a293e0b7c8e1d.jpg

Confirmed on LondonHearts

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Jim Cowell

It is but I've never heard of him let alone seeing him as a Hearts player

Edited by Maroon Sailor

10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

A young Gary Mackay in here

IMG_2307.JPG.a4c67972cad01763ea92470b7b8ce1af.JPG

Back, L to R: Alfie Conn, Rab Stewart, Colin More, Colin Robertson, Ian Westwater, John Brough, Ronnie McLafferty, Gary Mackay, Frank Liddell, Jim Docherty, Jim Denny. Middle L to R: Tony Ford, Bobby Moncur, Walter Kidd, David Bowman, Chris Robertson, Stuart Gauld, Pat McShane, Stewart Porter, Bobby Masterson, Scott Maxwell, Steve Hamilton, Andy Stevenson, Ian Brown. Front: L to R: Archie White, Malky Robertson, Gordon Marr, Derek O'Connor, Cammy Fraser, David Scott, Willie Gibson, Paul O'Brien.

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He came on as a sub v St Mirren in May 1985 at Love Street in a game we got hammered 5-2. Big Laddie but no very good!

20 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Never mind the players I don't even know what match this is !

IMG_2301.thumb.JPG.8d79909e34fc0c2c7502204949dca5e1.JPG

Jim Townsend, Ernie Winchester, Alan MacDonald, Dave Clunie asn Rene Moller are the Jambos v Eintracht

On 19/02/2019 at 18:52, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3098.JPG

Left to right: Jim Jefferies, Stewart Cribbes (top of Cammy Fraser's head behind Cribbes), Eamonn Bannon (behind him Graham Shaw), Malky Robertson, Walter Kidd, Donald Park, John Gallacher, Lawrie Tierney, Jackie Smyth, Willie Gibson, Ian Black (senior), Bobby Prentice, David Johnston, Donald MacLaren.  This is the photo with no goalkeeper from approx July 1977 before Ray Dunlop was signed.

5 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Left to right: Jim Jefferies, Stewart Cribbes (top of Cammy Fraser's head behind Cribbes), Eamonn Bannon (behind him Graham Shaw), Malky Robertson, Walter Kidd, Donald Park, John Gallacher, Lawrie Tierney, Jackie Smyth, Willie Gibson, Ian Black (senior), Bobby Prentice, David Johnston, Donald MacLaren.  This is the photo with no goalkeeper from approx July 1977 before Ray Dunlop was signed.

And after signing Dunlop we still didn’t have a keeper . History repeating itself then ?

21 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Back, L to R: Alfie Conn, Rab Stewart, Colin More, Colin Robertson, Ian Westwater, John Brough, Ronnie McLafferty, Gary Mackay, Frank Liddell, Jim Docherty, Jim Denny. Middle L to R: Tony Ford, Bobby Moncur, Walter Kidd, David Bowman, Chris Robertson, Stuart Gauld, Pat McShane, Stewart Porter, Bobby Masterson, Scott Maxwell, Steve Hamilton, Andy Stevenson, Ian Brown. Front: L to R: Archie White, Malky Robertson, Gordon Marr, Derek O'Connor, Cammy Fraser, David Scott, Willie Gibson, Paul O'Brien.

Some of the worst players ever to wear maroon in that crew. 

Imagine the meltdown if JKB was around then?

1 minute ago, Rudolf said:

Some of the worst players ever to wear maroon in that crew. 

Imagine the meltdown if JKB was around then?

Yep! Archie White had a nickname that rhymed with his surname. The season before we had Crawford Boyd who infamously hit the bar with a passback to our goalkeeper at Shawfield!

22 hours ago, Morgan said:

544542AE-F4F2-459D-A231-474802273E64.jpeg

Texaco cup final 1st Leg V Wolves. Eric Carruthers celebrating our goal and congratulating scorer Donald Ford with Jim Brown (6) looking on.

Maroon Sailor
50 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Sure that is Colin Robertson in the back row. I thought it was Craig Robertson who went on to play for Dunfermline

IMG_2307.JPG

21 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3115.JPG

Celtic (6) Shuggie Edvaldsson, Donald Ford (Hearts 10 on ground), Steve Hancock (scoring?) , Danny McGrain (Celtic), John Stevenson, Peter Latchford (Celtic goalie). League Cup tie v Celtic (2-0 Hearts win) in August 1975

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Sure that is Colin Robertson in the back row. I thought it was Craig Robertson who went on to play for Dunfermline

IMG_2307.JPG

Yep, spot on Maroon Sailor - it is Craig Robertson. Have put Colin by mistake. He later played with Dunfermline as you say and also Aberdeen. He filled out in later years after we freed him (never got a competitive game for Hearts)

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Big Drew said:

Yep, spot on Maroon Sailor - it is Craig Robertson. Have put Colin by mistake. He later played with Dunfermline as you say and also Aberdeen. He filled out in later years after we freed him (never got a competitive game for Hearts)

I did alright out of that lineup. Only ones I didn't get were Rab Stewart, Ronnie McLafferty, Stewart Porter, Steve Hamilton, Gordon Marr and David Scott

On 19/02/2019 at 17:36, Morgan said:

images-2.jpeg

A test for my poor eyesight! Graham Shaw (far left), Derek O'Connor )heading ball, Ian Smith (right). Friendly v OFK Kikinda 77-78?

It was this match

so Monday night games are not a new invention. was at that game (1-1 draw from memory and I think Ernie scored on his debut) and will also be at Partick

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I did alright out of that lineup. Only ones I didn't get were Rab Stewart, Ronnie McLafferty, Stewart Porter, Steve Hamilton, Gordon Marr and David Scott

Yep, good effort! I only know them as I researched so many of them when I did 'Hearts in Art' in 1995.

jambos are go!

It was this match

Well done!

1 hour ago, Big Drew said:

Think you might’ve missed JJ in the front row next to Cammy Fraser.

1 minute ago, cb1874 said:

Think you might’ve missed JJ in the front row next to Cammy Fraser.

Aye! So ah did! How'd I manage that? - the gaffer who won us the Cup too!?

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3140.JPG.8b403f996315768846193e4d4b3bfd99.JPG

There is a pic of this with the names underneath but where's the fun in that ?!

Back L to R: Willie Hamilton, Roy Barry, Willie Polland, Billy Higgins, Jim Cruickshank, Alan Gordon, John Cumming, Chris Shevlane, Davie Holt. Front L to R: Tommy Walker, Johnny Hamilton, Norrie Davidson, Danny Ferguson, Danny Paton,Tommy Traynor, Willie Wallace, John Harvey.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Back L to R: Willie Hamilton, Roy Barry, Willie Polland, Billy Higgins, Jim Cruickshank, Alan Gordon, John Cumming, Chris Shevlane, Davie Holt. Front L to R: Tommy Walker, Johnny Hamilton, Norrie Davidson, Danny Ferguson, Danny Paton,Tommy Traynor, Willie Wallace, John Harvey.

Better check with Bully

IMG_3141.JPG.08c08fb614f9a6134adf177e89b44f60.JPG

IMG_3143.PNG.b2062ff6362d148282cd77350f51b3fc.PNG

i wish jj was my dad

Signed from juniors and played against Frankfurt before the St Mirren game. Won 3-1 I think. Levein made an arse of Thomas Berthold. 

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2321.thumb.JPG.3ef3917b6fdab57fe7527c10e27c167b.JPG

This was the team when I started going on a regular basis

Back L to R: John Gallacher, Jim Brown, Ralph Callachan, Jon Hay, Sandy Burrell, Jim Cruickshank, Don Murray, Jim Jefferies, Dave Clunie, Roy Kay, Cammy Fraser. Front L to R: Willie Gibson, Kenny Aird, Graham Shaw, John Hagart, Drew Busby, Donald Park, Bobby Prentice.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Big Drew said:

Back L to R: John Gallacher, Jim Brown, Ralph Callachan, Jon Hay, Sandy Burrell, Jim Cruickshank, Don Murray, Jim Jefferies, Dave Clunie, Roy Kay, Cammy Fraser. Front L to R: Willie Gibson, Kenny Aird, Graham Shaw, John Hagart, Drew Busby, Donald Park, Bobby Prentice.

I didn't get John Hay

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I didn't get John Hay

I understand that John Hagart thought Hay was on the verge of a first team breakthrough which is why he was pictured with the first team squad. Never happened for him though.

55 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

A test for my poor eyesight! Graham Shaw (far left), Derek O'Connor )heading ball, Ian Smith (right). Friendly v OFK Kikinda 77-78?

Have looked at this again. It can't be Derek O'Connor as he wasn't signed - is it maybe Eamonn Bannon? Where's ma glesses?