• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• The Treasurer

• luckydug

• Clerry Jambo

1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

Unbelievable season. I was lucky that one of my uncles was a die-hard Hearts man. He was my mum,s youngest brother and he used to twist her round his little finger.He made sure that there was only one team I was going to support. There was a big family who were nearly all maroon but one followed Hibs and should have been ostracised. For some reason I was not at the Motherwell league cup game but the 56 final I recall being that high up in the terracing it was like watching a subbuteo game. The only game I missed 57/58 season was a home game against Falkirk when I think we scored nine. (must have been something special to miss out). I always remember the defining game that season was against Celtic at Tynecastle  which was played on A Friday night under the floodlights. Playing in a silk like maroon strip with white sleeves we won 5 3 despite an injured Dave Mackay limping for most of the game on the wing. Fortunately the great man was worth 2  and the win put us miles ahead in the league. Whilst it was not mathematically sealed a 14 year old boy and his uncle went home elated knowing it was all over bar the shouting.   

Thank goodness for uncles.  My uncle took me all the way through from the west coast, first games in 56 when just short of nine, cup 4-0 v Rangers and I can't remember the few league games.  He took me to the Final.

57-58, the only game we missed at home was Clyde, a draw.  as I was 10/11, some of it's vague but some games stand out, memory wise probably as much down to reading and re-reading the press reports as well as being at the games.  I do remember that Celtic game, probably because of unusual circumstances apart from the great result.

4 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Just coz I never agree with what people say does not make me a Hibs fan so stop being immature 

1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

Thank goodness for uncles.  My uncle took me all the way through from the west coast, first games in 56 when just short of nine, cup 4-0 v Rangers and I can't remember the few league games.  He took me to the Final.

57-58, the only game we missed at home was Clyde, a draw.  as I was 10/11, some of it's vague but some games stand out, memory wise probably as much down to reading and re-reading the press reports as well as being at the games.  I do remember that Celtic game, probably because of unusual circumstances apart from the great result.

That Clyde home game was on a Wednesday night which is why you probably missed out. The only game we lost in the league was at Shawfield  2 1. Willie Bauld scored a cracker that day.

8 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

That Clyde home game was on a Wednesday night which is why you probably missed out. The only game we lost in the league was at Shawfield  2 1. Willie Bauld scored a cracker that day.

Was at Shawfield and after all else that had gone before, I was nearly traumatised that we actually lost the game

Can you imagine if JKB had been around then?  Certain posters would have been absent for virtually the entire season.

4 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Was at Shawfield and after all else that had gone before, I was nearly traumatised that we actually lost the game

Can you imagine if JKB had been around then?  Certain posters would have been absent for virtually the entire season.

They would have surfaced for our Scottish Cup 4 3 defeat by you know who.

Edited by 132goals1958

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

One thing I would have loved to have seen. Understatement of the century. 

Was it euphoric. How would have described the vibe compared to today?

Probably my first euphoric high. Seriously I would say there were high expectation levels every game to win convincingly. Some supporters of another team associate themselves with flair We had it in abundance at that time and swept teams away with ease reflected in a goal difference of 103.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
29 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Probably my first euphoric high. Seriously I would say there were high expectation levels every game to win convincingly. Some supporters of another team associate themselves with flair We had it in abundance at that time and swept teams away with ease reflected in a goal difference of 103.

Cracking memories  :)

Shanks said no
6 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Just coz I don’t always agree with what people say does not make me a Hibs fan so stop being immature 

Something upsetting you pumpkin?

3 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Was that the Scottish cup game we drew 3 3 when Crerand got to re-take a penalty. I think Jim Rodger equalised and we lost the replay.

Time does make the memories confusing!

1962 3rd round.  Crerand got to re-take his 87th minute penalty at the Gorgie Road end to make it 4-3 for them after Gordon Marshall saved the first one and they had already got away with 2 offside goals in the previous 10 minutes.  One of my first experiences of decidedly biased refereeing by Bobby Davidson.

1966 quarter final was the game where the fans poured on to the pitch.  Johnny Hamilton equalised for 3-3 with 5 minutes to go at the school end.  Nearly vaulted the crossbar in his celebration.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

The club should raise the price of a season ticket by £20 and include the first home Scottish Cup tie in the package.

What if we don’t get one?

Thought Police
2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

The club should raise the price of a season ticket by £20 and include the first home Scottish Cup tie in the package.

What if we don’t get a home tie?

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Could potentially cost the club a lot of money along with making budgeting more difficult. 

Daft idea that won’t happen. 

Thought Police
2 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Could potentially cost the club a lot of money along with making budgeting more difficult. 

Exactly, what if it was Hibs again?

2 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

I don’t think the club budget includes Cup revenue as they can’t possibly tell how much it’s going to be.

1 minute ago, Thought Police said:

Exactly, what if it was Hibs again?

The odds of getting one of the ‘big 4’ at Tynecastle in the our first tie of the cup are pretty big.

scott herbertson
5 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Almost 10000 at Pittodrie

No telly and a Saturday afternoon - that's a really poor crowd at ER

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

No telly and a Saturday afternoon - that's a really poor crowd at ER

Its Elgin City and it was £22 a ticket.

iwasthere1954
5 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Unbelievable season. I was lucky that one of my uncles was a die-hard Hearts man. He was my mum,s youngest brother and he used to twist her round his little finger.He made sure that there was only one team I was going to support. There was a big family who were nearly all maroon but one followed Hibs and should have been ostracised. For some reason I was not at the Motherwell league cup game but the 56 final I recall being that high up in the terracing it was like watching a subbuteo game. The only game I missed 57/58 season was a home game against Falkirk when I think we scored nine. (must have been something special to miss out). I always remember the defining game that season was against Celtic at Tynecastle  which was played on A Friday night under the floodlights. Playing in a silk like maroon strip with white sleeves we won 5 3 despite an injured Dave Mackay limping for most of the game on the wing. Fortunately the great man was worth 2  and the win put us miles ahead in the league. Whilst it was not mathematically sealed a 14 year old boy and his uncle went home elated knowing it was all over bar the shouting.   

As you say great days indeed. I was at the 1954 league cup final and we went by special train. Unfortunately the train was late and we were 2. 0 up when we got in. At the end my mother had to hold the old man back as he wanted to join the thousands of fans on the pitch. When the train returned to the Caley station everyone was waving scarves out the windows of the houses on the stretch of what is now the western approach road. My old man did not allow me to go in 1956. 

34 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I don’t think the club budget includes Cup revenue as they can’t possibly tell how much it’s going to be.

I know that, however with your idea we wouldn’t know how much of our ST money  we’d have to give away. 

Im sure Hibs did it a few years ago and it cost them a few bob. 

Ludicrous idea. 

scott herbertson
10 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Its Elgin City and it was £22 a ticket.

Still a crap crowd! But also shows the problem of Petriegreed

47 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Mmmm that would be 14,000 x£20, clubs would love to draw us at Tynie with them getting half (less expenses) of that!

1 minute ago, Rudolf said:

I know that, however with your idea we wouldn’t know how much of our ST money  we’d have to give away. 

Im sure Hibs did it a few years ago and it cost them a few bob. 

Ludicrous idea. 

How did we work it out in the past when a season ticket incuded ALL home cup ties ?

17 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Almost 10000 at Pittodrie

Considered theyve only got one other home game in January at the end of the month it's pretty shit tbh. We've got Livvy Sun , Dundee Wed  and Saints next Sat all at home . 

Considering the game is live on National Tv tomorrow and the close proximity of the other two League games anything over 10k will be very good regardless of what the usual suspects would have us believe . 

8 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Still a crap crowd! But also shows the problem of Petriegreed

I like that word Petriegreed 

Folk moaning because all that was left in the main stand was the end sections then lapping it up because they've opened the end sections in the Wheatfield.  :rofl: 

::troll::

24 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

How did we work it out in the past when a season ticket incuded ALL home cup ties ?

Home league gates were shared in the past also. As I said before, season ticket sales were a small percentage of the crowds and would have had little effect. 

Say we drew Hibs at home and they wanted to charge £25?

Makes no sense whatsoever which will be the reason clubs don’t do it now. 

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

I don’t think

Indeed :trippin:

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Then you’ve lost £20. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Can you imagine the tears and snotters on here?

:glorious:

iwasthere1954
6 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Was that the Scottish cup game we drew 3 3 when Crerand got to re-take a penalty. I think Jim Rodger equalised and we lost the replay.

Was the retake not the 4  3 game. Davidson of Airdrie was the ref.

3 minutes ago, iwasthere1954 said:

Was the retake not the 4  3 game. Davidson of Airdrie was the ref.

Correct. I think both games included blatantly offside Celtic  goals.

11 minutes ago, chico1874 said:

Anyone know how many the “lions” are bringing? 700, 1000??? Can’t see them bringing any more ‘

I thought I'd look at their forums to see if there was any indication.

One forum has one post about the game. The other has 5 posts.

Reckon if the game is dull we'll be able to kill 30 seconds by counting their shite support.

been here before
1 hour ago, chico1874 said:

Anyone know how many the “lions” are bringing? 700, 1000??? Can’t see them bringing any more ‘

Was at the Edinburgh City game today and the boy who provides the stewards/security there also provides Tynecastle. He was saying he's been told to expect around 100.

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Was at the Edinburgh City game today and the boy who provides the stewards/security there also provides Tynecastle. He was saying he's been told to expect around 100.

Surely you missed a zero 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Mmmm that would be 14,000 x£20, clubs would love to draw us at Tynie with them getting half (less expenses) of that!

Well we would keep roughly £95k from that idea from that whereas tomorrow we are looking at taking in about £40,000 so OP’s idea has a lot of merit. What happens though when we have no home cup game in a season eg last season. 

2 hours ago, graygo said:

Folk moaning because all that was left in the main stand was the end sections then lapping it up because they've opened the end sections in the Wheatfield.  :rofl: 

::troll::

Couldn’t make it up.