Hearts Transfer window ( merged )

cb1874

Keena is back and Killie have been robbed of their players, do people not pay attention....Vanecek is in, Naismith is back and Uche is almost here...believe

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• sadj

7 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

While Naismith is undoubtedly a key player I think the fact that he went out at the same time as Uche magnified the impact massively. We wouldn't have missed Naisy quite as acutely if Uche had stayed fit.

They were both massive misses; Uche did a lot to create space for others and his return will also help. I still think we could do with one more, though. Aside from the Hamilton and St Mirren games we weren't exactly banging them in with both in the side.

28 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah, hopefully we can start managing his minutes a bit if he signs on permanently. He's a key player in the higher profile games. We should have the depth to be able to see off the smaller clubs in the league without relying on Naismith to play 90 minutes.  

That didn’t work out too well the last couple of months. His injury killed us dead. 

2 hours ago, HoGwash said:

While Naismith is undoubtedly a key player I think the fact that he went out at the same time as Uche magnified the impact massively. We wouldn't have missed Naisy quite as acutely if Uche had stayed fit.

While I like Uche as a player, to say he would have been able to fill in for Naismith during his injury is being kind, imo.

2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

That didn’t work out too well the last couple of months. His injury killed us dead. 

Obviously a slightly different occasion but the timing of his injury had the same impact on us in the cup semi as Salah getting injured early in the CL final. You could see our team's confidence deflate immediately, same as happened with Liverpool.

scott herbertson
45 minutes ago, graygo said:

Must be a big confidence boost for the players to hear that the manager is happy with the squad he has.

Hopefully have the same effect on the more torn faced of our supporters (not likely, but I'm an optimist)

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, cyprusjambo said:

Seriously would give Mitchell another chance. He is one with some genuine quality that just needs harnessed. Mourinho seen it in him too so feel I am in some reasonable company with this

Astonished that all efforts to offload Sean Clare, Steven Maclean and Malaury Martin are not mentioned. Add that to the other ones that clearly have no chance and we can buy one or two. The darkness from the West is descending and they are adding decent signings so we have to do everything if we have any ambition of splitting them.

Let Djoum go. He has always said he wants to play elsewhere. Guys like that disappear in tough games (eg Livingston). 

We do need a creative midfielder and a quality right winger but couldn't say who that should be right now. Would be loathe to replace Olly lee given cult hero status and hope Haring fit very soon.

Looking forward to start of second half of season and a full strength team out there again soon. 

Mitchell, fair point, maybe. 

Clare? 

McLean? 

Dioum got sent of v livi. 

Team collapsed after he got sent off. If anything it showed he was definitely  not missing, when he went did actually go  missing we Conceded 4 in 15 minutes. If he'd been missing the whole game.....

All 3 you would punt have contributed the same if not far more than Mitchell tho, so your logic is ****ed. 

Agree reference winger. 

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

While I like Uche as a player, to say he would have been able to fill in for Naismith during his injury is being kind, imo.

I think what HoG meant was that if we still had Uche available when Naisy got injured the impact would not have been quite as bad. Uche could never replicate what Naisy brings to the team but the ball would have stuck when it was played forward allowing players like Lee and Djoum and even Haring to get on the ball higher up the park which in turn would result in more chances being created. I just cant wait to see Naisy playing just behind Uche and Vanecek, our front three are going to be a proper handfull for any defence in the league and teams are not going to be looking forward to playing the famous.

32 minutes ago, jambo3tevie said:

I think what HoG meant was that if we still had Uche available when Naisy got injured the impact would not have been quite as bad. Uche could never replicate what Naisy brings to the team but the ball would have stuck when it was played forward allowing players like Lee and Djoum and even Haring to get on the ball higher up the park which in turn would result in more chances being created. I just cant wait to see Naisy playing just behind Uche and Vanecek, our front three are going to be a proper handfull for any defence in the league and teams are not going to be looking forward to playing the famous.

Not convinced all three will play at the same time but potentially awesome innit?

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, maroon said:

Why would GMS leave aberdeen and come here ?

He'd be close to the firth of forth. 

3 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

That's not really what I'm saying. It's more that the impact of Naismith's absence was exacerbated by Uche being out at the same time.

magicjohnston

End of EEN article says Levein expects no more incoming deals to be done this month and that there was a deal he thought he pretty much going to get done and it fell through.

wonder who the player was that fell through? And wonder if it’s more a bluff that we won’t bring anyone in!?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/david-vanecek-not-100-per-cent-fit-but-is-set-to-start-for-hearts-in-cup-1-4859010

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

We are still short of a quality wide player which would have been good to get someone in even on loan. 

We might be short of enough money to get a suitable one as well so we may just have to content ourselves meantime.

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

We are still short of a quality wide player which would have been good to get someone in even on loan. 

Has to give the Ben-Demi left side in a 442 a run of games imo.

Failing that, there’s also an argument we dont need high width if Uche and/or the Van are up top.  You get the ball into them through midfield or pretty direct and play off them, Naismith, Lee and Djoum buzzing in from deep and wider positions.

Harder without Haring but FBs can play high up the park too and Smith, Ben and Demi all have the fitness and energy to do so (as do Godinho and Brandon)

2 hours ago, magicjohnston said:

End of EEN article says Levein expects no more incoming deals to be done this month and that there was a deal he thought he pretty much going to get done and it fell through.

wonder who the player was that fell through? And wonder if it’s more a bluff that we won’t bring anyone in!?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/david-vanecek-not-100-per-cent-fit-but-is-set-to-start-for-hearts-in-cup-1-4859010

Maybe Charlie Adam? He wasn’t out of favour until the new manager Came in and now he’s saying they need players like Adam in the squad. 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

We might be short of enough money to get a suitable one as well so we may just have to content ourselves meantime.

Maybe waiting on progress in the cup and more guaranteed income.

8 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Maybe waiting on progress in the cup and more guaranteed income.

I think that is a possibility but he also may want players out first.  Martin has been recalled which might suggest a move is in the offing and there was a rumour on here that St Liedoon were after Sammon.  These moves would free up some of the wage bill and a favourable cup draw (if we beat Livi) added  to that could be the difference.

3 hours ago, magicjohnston said:

Suspect it was Adam or Walker, maybe Skinny. May find out in summer if one of them signs on. 

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Failing that, there’s also an argument we dont need high width if Uche and/or the Van are up top.  You get the ball into them through midfield or pretty direct and play off them, Naismith, Lee and Djoum buzzing in from deep and wider positions.

Harder without Haring but FBs can play high up the park too and Smith, Ben and Demi all have the fitness and energy to do so (as do Godinho and Brandon)

I think we will be looking to get back to how we were playing earlier in the season, before the various injuries forced us to adapt how we were playing. I think that maybe during that period of adapting some fans maybe felt that wingers were missing. It's not a right answer or a wrong answer, this is a fans forum, and in football fans who watch the same team every week can have a variety of opinions on how it could maybe be fixed. Personally I just look back to early in the season and how we played then. We've neither sold or purchased any wide men since the injuries kicked in. So if we can get back to how we were playing early doors the non addition of a wide player or wide players may turn out to be not a big issue. I think I'm more interested in seeing how the likes of Burns and Keena are used having been brought back from  their loan periods. There are a few Dunfermline fans at work and they were genuinely disappointed when the load deal was ended as they liked Keena, and what he brought to them. Burns is still young as well, and I remember reading somewhere online that during his spell with Livingston his best game for them was versus Celtic. He will also be a bit more accustomed to the Scottish game now. Lets now see what they can offer us. Not just us but I think a lot of clubs fall into situations where they bring in players during transfer windows that they don't really need as they often have a player or players at their club who can do the job that any loan/additional player has been brought in to do.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

If his desired formation is 3 at the back I would say there is a point we may not need the wide player as we have 2 options on the left and 3 or 4 on the right as far as wing backs are concerned. 

But we need to be able to set up in a 442 or 4141 aswell as another option imo. We just don’t have any competition in the wide areas. It’s basically Morrison and Mitchell that’s it. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Suspect it was Adam or Walker, maybe Skinny. May find out in summer if one of them signs on. 

More likely Dunne 

On 09/01/2019 at 09:42, JamboAl said:

The system worked without him as well.  They scored 5 against us.

That score line didnt have much to do with their system ... unless they switched it to "shootie in"

19 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

We were basically playing without a striker. Losing Uche magnified the impact. I reckon had not lost Uche we'd not have lost most of those games. 

7 minutes ago, OTT said:

We were basically playing without a striker. Losing Uche magnified the impact. I reckon had not lost Uche we'd not have lost most of those games. 

yep, uche would have meant a lot of teams defending a bit deeper as he would keep their defenders occupied. He would also have held up the ball better than maclean/wighton relieving pressure on our defence bringing others into attack

I’m assuming Levein is still looking for a wide player who can send in a quality delivery otherwise we won’t get the best out of Vanecek 

we might not start with players but we must have the option to change it mid-game

for the sake of one more body it would be madness to take the chance we took in August re the forwards which bit us royally on the erky 

Edited by Muirhead

If we play 3 at the back with the 2 wing backs smith and garuccio are capable of putting crosses into the box. If we play with wingers Morrison and Mitchell should be capable of putting the crosses in too

32 minutes ago, bazman said:

If we play 3 at the back with the 2 wing backs smith and garuccio are capable of putting crosses into the box. If we play with wingers Morrison and Mitchell should be capable of putting the crosses in too

Morrison, in particular has put in some tasty ones with no takers in the box. Hoping Vanaceck will be a bit of a Fox in the box

21 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Agreed. Uche as a player is more of a distraction to defenders than anything else, allowing players like Naismith to capitalise on any space created. Without Naismith he wouldn't be nearly as effective imo. We need creative players with a bit of pace. I certainly wouldn't envisage Uche and Vanacek playing together.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Agreed. Uche as a player is more of a distraction to defenders than anything else, allowing players like Naismith to capitalise on any space created. Without Naismith he wouldn't be nearly as effective imo. We need creative players with a bit of pace. I certainly wouldn't envisage Uche and Vanacek playing together.

I definitely see them playing together more often than not......and I think this is why CL has built a squad that probably favours a 3-5-2 formation.

He specifically mentioned he was looking for a Left Back with good attaching and crossing stats which is why he went for BG and DM. Definitely swaying towards 2 up front and Naismith behind imo.

4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I definitely see them playing together more often than not......and I think this is why CL has built a squad that probably favours a 3-5-2 formation.

He specifically mentioned he was looking for a Left Back with good attaching and crossing stats which is why he went for BG and DM. Definitely swaying towards 2 up front and Naismith behind imo.

Wouldn't work imo to have those 2 up front. Would be like Sandy Clark and the late Colin McAdam playing together. I think it will be one or the other at any time, I think CL is far too cautious to have both of them playing, along with Naismith. If he did, he would be better advised to have Keena alongside one or the other.

scott herbertson
6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Wouldn't work imo to have those 2 up front. Would be like Sandy Clark and the late Colin McAdam playing together. I think it will be one or the other at any time, I think CL is far too cautious to have both of them playing, along with Naismith. If he did, he would be better advised to have Keena alongside one or the other.

I agree with you - said the same when some were envisaging Lafferty and Vanacek up front.  May happen when we want to break down tight defences but unlikely on a regular basis. Gives us great options to change things up, and I am sure Levein will continue to use McLean who works well with Naismith too.

7 hours ago, OTT said:

If we had competent refs we wouldn’t have lost most of those games

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, DH1986 said:

He built the squad and then chose 352, then went to 442 when it didn’t work. His favoured for us 442 as that what he’s used the majority of his time as a manager in this league and it’s what had us clear at the top a few months back, circumstances might dictate that we go back to 532 but it will be used sparingly if everyone is fit. The two big guys will only play together at home if we’re chasing goals imo.

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, Muirhead said:

I’m assuming Levein is still looking for a wide player who can send in a quality delivery otherwise we won’t get the best out of Vanecek 

we might not start with players but we must have the option to change it mid-game

for the sake of one more body it would be madness to take the chance we took in August re the forwards which bit us royally on the erky 

He’s already said he’s not looking for anybody else.

7 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Vanecek and Uche will play together up top plenty of times

13 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Dunno, arguably our best performance this season was when we had Uche and Lafferty up top with Naismith in behind against Celtic. The same with Vanacek in for lafferty is definitely worth a try and I think will happen a lot. 

6 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Vanecek and Uche will play together up top plenty of times

Wouldn't be good to watch, or effective.

Both being tall and strong doesn’t  mean Ikpeazu and Vanacek can’t play together. Granted I’ve yet to see Vanacek play but his attributes appear to be getting on the end of crosses and being a clinical finisher in the box. Ikpeazu is someone who can dribble with the ball and it just seems to stick to him, he does a lot to bring others into play and is a different kind of finisher. I certainly feel they should be able to play up top together on occasion.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He will always be looking up until the end of the window I would have thought. 

He said he didn’t expect anyone to come in but you never know what might become available in the last couple of days of the window. 

Anything m can happen in this transfer window yet. Players could still leave meaning he has to jump into the transfer market. After the St Johnstone game could be interesting.

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes but you never know. The one that supposedly got away this window may still become available late January. Wait and see. Had been working on the deal for months so maybe not completely dead.