AGM Week

Footballfirst

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

102 in 4.5 years? How many clubs signed 18 players in the summer to the detriment of their academy graduates who CL was rightly praised for?

My point was that it would interesting to see some actual numerical comparison with other spl clubs. Have we signed twice as many, three times as many or what? I'm sure some statto has the answers.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Francis Albert

• soonbe110

• Pasquale for King

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

You obviously were not at them - Finance Director is female. Keep up with things FA! 

Gender fluidity soonbe110! Pigeon holing people as one gender or another or none is offensive.

42 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

My point was that it would interesting to see some actual numerical comparison with other spl clubs. Have we signed twice as many, three times as many or what? I'm sure some statto has the answers.

The difference between ourselves and other clubs was that we started from virtually scratch 4.5 years ago with little money.  We had to acquire a squad on the cheap and have gradually replaced/improved year on year.  Add to that the fact that money which might have been available for players has been diverted towards a new stand as the decrepit old stand was costing huge amounts on a regular basis to meet H & S standards (and I'm not sure the authorities didn't sometimes turn a blind eye to help us).  In fact, if we got rid of our 10 worst players every year and replaced them with better quality, a lot of fans would be happy as results should also improve.

Francis Albert
Just now, JamboAl said:

The difference between ourselves and other clubs was that we started from virtually scratch 4.5 years ago with little money.  We had to acquire a squad on the cheap and have gradually replaced/improved year on year.  Add to that the fact that money which might have been available for players has been diverted towards a new stand as the decrepit old stand was costing huge amounts on a regular basis to meet H & S standards (and I'm not sure the authorities didn't sometimes turn a blind eye to help us).  In fact, if we got rid of our 10 worst players every year and replaced them with better quality, a lot of fans would be happy as results should also improve.

Maintenance of the new stand costs more than that of the old stand. Which is fine as long as we are almost filling it and making money from hospitalty etc.

Stands of a similar age to our old one at for example Fulham and Dundee still operate safely. It was the right decision to bite the bullet and replace the old stand but it wasn't essential.

59 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think the difference is many of the clubs in the league can only afford to offer players 1 year deals which leads to high turnover.  We benefit by not having to do that so should be much more settled. 

10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Gender fluidity soonbe110! Pigeon holing people as one gender or another or none is offensive.

That’s exactly what you did. Finance Director so it’s a he. Regardless,  with your interest in the Clubs finances over so many years I’m surprised you haven’t exchanged views with Finance Director, never mind not even knowing name and/or gender. 

20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Maintenance of the new stand costs more than that of the old stand. Which is fine as long as we are almost filling it and making money from hospitalty etc.

Stands of a similar age to our old one at for example Fulham and Dundee still operate safely. It was the right decision to bite the bullet and replace the old stand but it wasn't essential.

Apart from the council about to kick off the nursery area redevelopment independently which could have scuppered any future plans we might have had. 

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Want a bet on that? 

As of last week CL said they weren’t looking at any other players to come in apart from Vanacek, is he lying?  As far as I’m aware there is no negotiations with anyone ongoing. Has he changed his mind on his own signings from a few months back,since Friday?

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Apart from the council about to kick off the nursery area redevelopment independently which could have scuppered any future plans we might have had. 

Fair point

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Hope this one isn’t deleted, Hibs for example have signed on average ten players every summer since the turn of the century.

Francis Albert
20 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That’s exactly what you did. Finance Director so it’s a he. Regardless,  with your interest in the Clubs finances over so many years I’m surprised you haven’t exchanged views with Finance Director, never mind not even knowing name and/or gender. 

Ok. My post about gender fluidity was not serious. Which I thought was pretty obvious.

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hope this one isn’t deleted, Hibs for example have signed on average ten players every summer since the turn of the century.

Why would it be deleted? ?

So that would mean we have signed twice as many as them, if the figures are true. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, davemclaren said:

So that would mean we have signed twice as many as them, if the figures are true. 

I made a comment about Hibs signings.

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

As of last week CL said they weren’t looking at any other players to come in apart from Vanacek, is he lying?  As far as I’m aware there is no negotiations with anyone ongoing. Has he changed his mind on his own signings from a few months back,since Friday?

I’m assuming from your comments you are insider in terms of transfers at Hearts? Otherwise how would you  know ‘as far as I’m aware there is no negotiations with anyone ongoing’ ? 

Another poster with a decent track record re transfer activity suggests Vanacek plus two so who knows? I’m sure Levein won’t reveal to the media or fans what his January transfer plans are. That just fuels pointless speculation. 

I’ll hazard a guess that incoming transfer activity is underway and the scale of it depends on how many, and who, he can move out in January. An example, if we are offered decent money for Djoum we will take it I suspect. We would need a replacement.  I do know that we are actively trying to bring in one or two midfielders, whether that’s january or next summer who knows. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

2018 Summer:

Aberdeen  - 10 

Celtic - 6

Dundee - 13

Hamilton - 16

Hibs - 8

Killie - 8

Livi - 14

Motherwell - 8

Rangers - 16

Super Js - 7

St Midden - 14

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

I attend the AGM every year and they are a really good experience.  The Gorgie Suite is usually fully and there's the opportunity to ask questions directly to anyone of the directors including Craig Levein.

I thought Craig would have got it tighter last year on the back of the Cathro disaster, but he put his hands up, took full responsibility and said he'd fix it.  Wonder how it will go this year? 

Nobody will have the bottle to say anything to Levein 

1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

2018 Summer:

Aberdeen  - 10 

Celtic - 6

Dundee - 13

Hamilton - 16

Hibs - 8

Killie - 8

Livi - 14

Motherwell - 8

Rangers - 16

Super Js - 7

St Midden - 14

Interesting. Thanks. We are the highest at 18 but a few clubs are pretty close so it's not wholly atypical. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

Interesting. Thanks. We are the highest at 18 but a few clubs are pretty close so it's not wholly atypical. 

Rangers got a new manager and St Mirren, Hamilton and Livi would be the ones with players on mostly one year deals.  6-10 signings seems about right if we are doing things correctly imo.  

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’m assuming from your comments you are insider in terms of transfers at Hearts? Otherwise how would you  know ‘as far as I’m aware there is no negotiations with anyone ongoing’ ? 

Another poster with a decent track record re transfer activity suggests Vanacek plus two so who knows? I’m sure Levein won’t reveal to the media or fans what his January transfer plans are. That just fuels pointless speculation. 

I’ll hazard a guess that incoming transfer activity is underway and the scale of it depends on how many, and who, he can move out in January. An example, if we are offered decent money for Djoum we will take it I suspect. We would need a replacement.  I do know that we are actively trying to bring in one or two midfielders, whether that’s january or next summer who knows. 

£10 to big hearts if we sign someone apart from Vanacek, or if we get an offer for Djoum ?

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I'm not talking about normal maintenance.  About 15 years ago the old stand was in danger of being closed altogether for H&S reasons and has consistently struggled to get a safety certificate.

I would argue it was essential in that unless we kept throwing good money at it, it could have been closed down thus denying us hard needed gate money

45 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

2018 Summer:

Aberdeen  - 10 

Celtic - 6

Dundee - 13

Hamilton - 16

Hibs - 8

Killie - 8

Livi - 14

Motherwell - 8

Rangers - 16

Super Js - 7

St Midden - 14

How many did each club release in the same window? 

20 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

What entrance do you use to get into gorgie suite these days?

uo along where the museum is or next to new stand? (Or both)

Gorgie end of new stand

4 hours ago, kimosavi said:

I stood up last year and asked why we were continuing bottling it off Hibs. And tbh I was raging when I said it 

He was fair in his response tbh

2 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

I stood up last year and asked why we were continuing bottling it off Hibs. And tbh I was raging when I said it 

:D glad someone did, our performances against them had been embarrassing.  What was the response (more or less) ?

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

:D glad someone did, our performances against them had been embarrassing.  What was the response (more or less) ?

He was equally frustrated and angry and said it wouldn't happen again. Said we might not win but never be bullied.

He talked about as a player and manager previously we never ever had a mindset of being bullied 

Edited by PTBCAL

1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

That was you? You did sound a tad angry. ?

5 hours ago, kimosavi said:

If I get a seat near the door, I might just ask him.  I'll wear my trainers as well.

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That was you? You did sound a tad angry. ?

I like to take some credit for knocking Hibs out the cup shortly after ?

10 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Fantastic i want you there again and asking why the squad are a bunch of pansies 

Italian Lambretta
49 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Could be a full house. Cracking view of the Stadium with the turf lighting on under the goals at the Gorgie end. 

Decent coffee as well but an awful lot of soor faces amongst the attendees. 

This could be fun. 

I will read the annual report when I have a spare week....

No doubt all there to moan about those horrible fans in section N

19 hours ago, kimosavi said:

I remember questioning him on the logic of having everyone back defending corners. He said then that once he had more height in defence, he wouldn't need to employ that tactic. That was about 16 years ago!! The methodology obviously hasn't changed....we even had 11 back defending a corner against Rangers when they were down to 10 ffs.

6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I remember questioning him on the logic of having everyone back defending corners. He said then that once he had more height in defence, he wouldn't need to employ that tactic. That was about 16 years ago!! The methodology obviously hasn't changed....we even had 11 back defending a corner against Rangers when they were down to 10 ffs.

Sure you did buddy. 

31 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I asked him the same question at a fans night in the Gorgie Suite at the start of the season.

His curt response was "That's how I like to defend corners!"

19 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

How many did each club release in the same window? 

Released, sold, loan ended:

Aberdeen - 10 

Celtic - 10 

Dundee 14

Hamilton - 10

Us - 12

Hibs - 11

Killie - 12

Livi - 15

Motherwell - 11

Rangers - 16

Super J - 11

St Mirren - 22

8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Someone ask what the deal was with Edwards.

I thought he was signed as they didnt think they were getting Clare, they then got Clare, so he became suplus

Nelly Terraces
5 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Could someone ask who Craig Levein would replace Craig Levein with?

Hazard a guess at absolutely nobody mate?