"meter reader" sent after smart meter installed?!

Col1874

Not sure if there are any meter readers on here, but we had our smart meter fitted 3 weeks ago and we had a knock at the door from a meter reader. 

I explained that we don't need our meter read as we have a smart meter. 

He then gave a story about how they all need to read the meter every now and then. 

I told him to phone his office but he said that won't help, so didn't let him in. 

Sounds dodgy or am I just being paranoid? 

34 minutes ago, Col1874 said:

Not sure if there are any meter readers on here, but we had our smart meter fitted 3 weeks ago and we had a knock at the door from a meter reader. 

He then gave a story about how they all need to read the meter every now and then. 

I told him to phone his office but he said that won't help, so didn't let him in. 

My mates a meter reader will ask him for u bud

I think they do still check occasionally as they are obligated to  ensure its accuracy.

Maybe send one in soon after having it installed to check it’s bedded In properly?

Well I still get them to read, n I often get asked why by customers, I question it too, but when people switch energy provider the smart meters are no longer smart, meaning new energy provider doesn't get reads sent to them, so customers have to go back to reading them every month for accurate bills. ?

That was his reply to me mate, hope that helps ??

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

Well I still get them to read, n I often get asked why by customers, I question it too, but when people switch energy provider the smart meters are no longer smart, meaning new energy provider doesn't get reads sent to them, so customers have to go back to reading them every month for accurate bills. ?

So it seems a complete waste of time getting them installed.

I have never considered getting one installed.

9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Does seem a bit daft to me mate, I haven’t a clue though that was my mates reply to me asking him about it.

1 hour ago, Col1874 said:

Had the same. Did the same. Telt him to bolt. 

That was about 6 months ago. Nobody has been back since. 

fabienleclerq

Probably the meter readers haven't been updated that you have a smart reader.

As above the first generation of smart meters aren't "smart" if you switch supplier, they also switch from prepayment to credit automatically when switching as different suppliers aren't compatible with each others prepay smart meters!!

This should change soon but when I was at BG kept getting put Back 

1 hour ago, Col1874 said:

Mine still gets read once a year, and I have smart meters, nothing dodgy about it, it's a double check for yours and the energy companies benefit.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

8 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Next time take a photo of the meter and show him it, or just stand next to him while he's reading the thing , oooooorrrrrr.... have the dugs stand next to him. Works for me.

Edited by ri Alban

I've had smart meters for about five years now, and can't remember seeing a meter reader in that time. Maybe they've been coming when I'm out, but if so I'd have thought someone would have mentioned it to me. 

Goid time for this to come up as I’ve been told someone is coming to fit a smart meter at mines but to be honest I’m not interested in one 

Can I tell them I’m not wanting it as in the email it won’t give me this option 

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, theshed said:

Goid time for this to come up as I’ve been told someone is coming to fit a smart meter at mines but to be honest I’m not interested in one 

Yes you can tell them to ram it.

They phoned my old mother last week and said they were coming to fit one.

I got in touch with both the supplier and the fitters and told them don’t come.

They were at it.

scott herbertson
5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yes you can tell them to ram it.

They phoned my old mother last week and said they were coming to fit one.

I got in touch with both the supplier and the fitters and told them don’t come.

They were at it.

I tried to get one when I moved into y house last August. They came round but couldn’t fit it. A few months later they sent a card asking if they could fit one and I said fine. They came round and couldn’t fit it. Just had a letter badgering me to get one. Beginning to think I should ask for some sort of rebate for my time dealing with this.

fabienleclerq
25 minutes ago, theshed said:

Everyone is getting one at some point so it's up to you. If you use them correctly they will save you money.

If you pay by bill it'll make no difference to you really, prepayment when they work I'd say most people save a good percentage of what they have been spending previously. When the signal is poor etc  they can be a pain depending how accessable the meter is. They're nothing to be scared of, pros and cons to them.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

I tried to get one when I moved into y house last August. They came round but couldn’t fit it. A few months later they sent a card asking if they could fit one and I said fine. They came round and couldn’t fit it. Just had a letter badgering me to get one. Beginning to think I should ask for some sort of rebate for my time dealing with this.

Ask for compensation just for the hell of it.

Loss of earnings.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Everyone is getting one at some point so it's up to you. If you use them correctly they will save you money.

If you pay by bill it'll make no difference to you really, prepayment when they work I'd say most people save a good percentage of what they have been spending previously. When the signal is poor etc  they can be a pain depending how accessable the meter is. They're nothing to be scared of, pros and cons to them.

If it becomes legal I will have to until they can shove where the sun don’t shine.

10 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I keep getting reminders to arrange an installation appointment.   I am just ignoring them. 

fabienleclerq

6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If it becomes legal I will have to until they can shove where the sun don’t shine.

Why do they upset you so much ?

Are you one of the conspiracy chaps :conspiracy:

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

Why do they upset you so much ?

Are you one of the conspiracy chaps :conspiracy:

I don’t want one.

It’s that simple.

Hope this satisfies your concerns:laugh:

fabienleclerq
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

I don’t want one.

It’s that simple.

Yes it does....

#confirmedtinfoilhat

Conclusions from recent National Audit Office report on Smart Meters

Report conclusions

The Department acknowledges that, notwithstanding the industry and other bodies involved, it is responsible for the overall success of Smart Meters. While recognising the team’s achievements so far, we urge them to make sure the team culture does not become defensive, and resistant to inconvenient truths.

The facts are that the programme is late, the costs are escalating, and in 2017 the cost of installing smart meters was 50% higher than the Department assumed. 7.1 million extra SMETS1 meters have been rolled out because the Department wanted to speed up the programme. The Department knows that a large proportion of SMETS1 meters currently lose smart functionality after a switch in electricity supplier and there is real doubt about whether SMETS1 will ever provide the same functionality as SMETS2. The full functionality of the system is also dependent on the development of technology that is not yet developed.

The facts summarised above, and many more, are not fatal to the viability and value for money of the programme. However, there are serious issues that need to be addressed if Smart Meters is to progress successfully and deliver value for money.

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

Can i I ask how getting a meter fitted will save me money? 

Apart from turning heating off I can’t think how a meter will save me money. 

fabienleclerq
2 minutes ago, theshed said:

They fit/give you a monitor and you can see how much you are spending a lot clearer. So you notice how much certain devices cost you to run, leccy showers and kettle's etc.

I'd say when I worked there 80/90% of people were spending less when I compared previous years.

2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

They fit/give you a monitor and you can see how much you are spending a lot clearer. So you notice how much certain devices cost you to run, leccy showers and kettle's etc.

I'd say when I worked there 80/90% of people were spending less when I compared previous years.

That's a high percentage.

Suppose educating people would have as big an affect. Spend less time in the shower, don't fill your kettle right up etc !

Bleedin obvious to most people....which means, logically, you don't need a meter to tell you anything. The very cynical may suggest that the smart side of the meter not working when moving to a cheaper supplier, may detract many from moving !

?

fabienleclerq
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

That's a high percentage.

Suppose educating people would have as big an affect. Spend less time in the shower, don't fill your kettle right up etc !

Bleedin obvious to most people....which means, logically, you don't need a meter to tell you anything. The very cynical may suggest that the smart side of the meter not working when moving to a cheaper supplier, may detract many from moving !

?

I think the government just forced the issue of smart meters and the suppliers all jumped in feet first rather than speaking to one another. Its supposed to change going forward so it still works.

4 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I think the government just forced the issue of smart meters and the suppliers all jumped in feet first rather than speaking to one another. Its supposed to change going forward so it still works.

People are right to be suspicious.

Especially when these shysters are involved !

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

They can't do mine technically so I won't be getting one unless they can work out how to

4 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

They don't save you money in any way at all. The only way they can save you cash is if it opens your eyes to a needless waste of energy that you then cut out. They aren't magic boxes.

11 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

They don't save you money in any way at all. The only way they can save you cash is if it opens your eyes to a needless waste of energy that you then cut out. They aren't magic boxes.

Correct 100%

The government are to blame here not the suppliers

They rushed out a policy without thinking it through, they did not insist all suppliers use the same smart types meaning changing a supplier could also mean changing a meter.

They implied savings without explaining there are none unless you use less gas/elec

They are trying to shift blame elsewhere simply to avoid bad publicity from their   poor decision making

PS companies are still  obliged read meters smart or not at least once every 2 years

3 hours ago, theshed said:

I was wondering the same. I’ve had one fitted for a couple of years but I don’t see any benefit at all.

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

The vast majority of people I dealt with used less energy once they had them installed. They do that by making your more aware of you usage. I'm not sure how else you would expect them to help you save money.

15 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

The vast majority of people I dealt with used less energy once they had them installed. They do that by making your more aware of you usage. I'm not sure how else you would expect them to help you save money.

If you took the smart meter away from the same people who've dropped their bills because they shit their pants at the spike when they boil their kettle then their bill wouldn't go back up again.

It might sound pedantic but smart meters don't save money, people's habits do. It's incorrect to say otherwise.

fabienleclerq
39 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

If you took the smart meter away from the same people who've dropped their bills because they shit their pants at the spike when they boil their kettle then their bill wouldn't go back up again.

It might sound pedantic but smart meters don't save money, people's habits do. It's incorrect to say otherwise.

You're being ridiculously pedantic, smart meters help you reduce your energy usage thus saving you money. 

6 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

You're being ridiculously pedantic, smart meters help you reduce your energy usage thus saving you money. 

Ach, I suppose you are right, mate.

If someone got a huge leccy bill in, i'm sure they could check what was the main offender.

To be cynical though, I have a brain in my head and can look at bills, seasonal adjustments and forecasts and know exactly what i'm using and when.

?

25 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Nonsense. Not leaving electrical appliances on unnecessarily saves you money. Changing 60 watt lamps for LEDs saves you money. Common sense saves you money.

9 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I don’t want one.

It’s that simple.

Me too.  

It makes switching providers more difficult.  There was also a report earlier in the year, where the average saving was actually only £20 a year.  

Many have also been fitted incorrectly, and dangerously as providers and fitters rush through installations to meet the ludicrous Government deadline. 

Edited by Paolo

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Exactly. 

4 hours ago, IronJambo said:

We've got one and no one took any notice of it  once we all realised it went into the red any time you put a kettle on or used the microwave.  

fabienleclerq
3 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Nonsense. Not leaving electrical appliances on unnecessarily saves you money. Changing 60 watt lamps for LEDs saves you money. Common sense saves you money.

Your just being argumentative for some reason, I'm not forcing a smart meter on you. It's a tool that helps you reduce your consumption and thus saves you money.

I spoke to tonnes of folk with your attitude, each time the smart meter ended up saving them money.

21 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Your just being argumentative for some reason, I'm not forcing a smart meter on you. It's a tool that helps you reduce your consumption and thus saves you money.

I spoke to tonnes of folk with your attitude, each time the smart meter ended up saving them money.

Not agreeing with you doesnt make me argumentative. I'm just pragmatic. I use the energy I need and a smart meter won't change that. 

I run the washing machine when I need it, I use the dishwasher and the dryer. I put what looks like enough water in a kettle for what I need and boil it. I turn the espresso machine off after I've used it. I turn the lights on when it's dark and they go off if I don't need them, I sometimes even close the curtains during the day and turn the lights on. This is down to a mixture of preference and necessity and a smart meter will never change the behaviour in my home towards energy as we use what we feel we need to and pay for it. 

I've had a smart meter for 3 years and it's in the cupboard next to the boiler where it belongs. I don't need it to tell me the kettle uses lots of energy as I already know that. I already know that the dryer uses lots of leccy and I know it'll cost me more when I charge up 15 phones in a single afternoon. Sitting staring at it isn't going to change anything.

fabienleclerq
1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

Not agreeing with you doesnt make me argumentative. I'm just pragmatic. I use the energy I need and a smart meter won't change that. 

I run the washing machine when I need it, I use the dishwasher and the dryer. I put what looks like enough water in a kettle for what I need and boil it. I turn the espresso machine off after I've used it. I turn the lights on when it's dark and they go off if I don't need them, I sometimes even close the curtains during the day and turn the lights on. This is down to a mixture of preference and necessity and a smart meter will never change the behaviour in my home towards energy as we use what we feel we need to and pay for it. 

I've had a smart meter for 3 years and it's in the cupboard next to the boiler where it belongs. I don't need it to tell me the kettle uses lots of energy as I already know that. I already know that the dryer uses lots of leccy and I know it'll cost me more when I charge up 15 phones in a single afternoon. Sitting staring at it isn't going to change anything.

Aye ok.

5 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Aye ok.

What does my smart meter do for me other than give automatic readings to my energy supplier and why would it change my habits?

fabienleclerq
2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

What does my smart meter do for me other than give automatic readings to my energy supplier and why would it change my habits?

Nothing mate, they don't save you money.

5 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Nothing mate, they don't save you money.

? Changing my lamps to LEDs did and having a two tier leccy tariff with storage heating did though.

On 11/12/2018 at 21:38, jamtartan74 said:

Brilliant thanks.