Nick Cave question

Statts1976uk

I need to buy a present for my Father in Law and I know he’s a big Nick Cave fan. He’s getting back into collecting vinyl again so I’m looking for a suggestion of the best one to get him. I need to order it today through Amazon Prime to get it in time for Friday.

If it’s any help he also loves the Grinderman project too.

I really like Push The Sky Away from 2013.

Jubilee Street is a fantastic song.

His last album, Skeleton Tree is good too but a sad album in the wake of a family tragedy.

Of course we don't know what records the OP's father in law has so its hard to recommend.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I bought him The Boatmans Call and to balance it up I also got him the first Grinderman album. 

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

I really like Push The Sky Away from 2013.

Jubilee Street is a fantastic song.

His last album, Skeleton Tree is good too but a sad album in the wake of a family tragedy.

Of course we don't know what records the OP's father in law has so its hard to recommend.

He’s got the most eclectic taste I’ve ever heard! He recently bought a turntable so has been buying some of his favourite albums on vinyl, I’m glad he did as it’s easy birthday presents for the foreseeable future! He recently bought a few of Thee Oh Sees albums and they are quite an interesting band!

44 minutes ago, Statts1976uk said:

He’s got the most eclectic taste I’ve ever heard! He recently bought a turntable so has been buying some of his favourite albums on vinyl, I’m glad he did as it’s easy birthday presents for the foreseeable future! He recently bought a few of Thee Oh Sees albums and they are quite an interesting band!

I must admit I don't know who Thee Oh Sees are.  Might take a look on youtube.

25 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I must admit I don't know who Thee Oh Sees are.  Might take a look on youtube.

His musical tastes know no limits, if he likes it he likes it regardless of genre. He’s much more open minded when it comes to music than me and I hope that as I get older I get like that.

As a massive Nick Cave fan Trust me you can hardly go wrong, no matter what you buy. 

I just got Let Love In and Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus, which are two of my favourites, Murder Ballads is a stone cold classic, The Firstborn is Dead.... I could go on but if he likes Grinderman then Dig, Lazarus, Dig! Is an absolutely amazing album and captures some of the rawness of Grinderman. Though The Boatman Call is fabulous 

I only really got into him last year after watching the doc One More Time With Ferling. Bought Skeleton Tree which is just beautiful, got s best of and my Mrs is getting me Push the Sky Away for Xmas

26 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I only really got into him last year after watching the doc One More Time With Ferling. Bought Skeleton Tree which is just beautiful, got s best of and my Mrs is getting me Push the Sky Away for Xmas

Both albums are excellent but think you need to explore the darkness that drove his early work to fully appreciate where his music has gone now 

1 minute ago, Bozi said:

Both albums are excellent but think you need to explore the darkness that drove his early work to fully appreciate where his music has gone now 

From the compilation I really like Dig Lazarus Dig and Tupelo and People Ain’t no Good. Going backwards buying just now. Wish I’d started earlier TBH but maybe didn’t get it when I was younger.

Bit like Shakespeare. Didn’t get it at school. Love the tragedies now

5 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

From the compilation I really like Dig Lazarus Dig and Tupelo and People Ain’t no Good. Going backwards buying just now. Wish I’d started earlier TBH but maybe didn’t get it when I was younger.

Bit like Shakespeare. Didn’t get it at school. Love the tragedies now

Honestly I think that it doesn't matter how you get into his stuff but it will captivate you regardless, he is a genius and a brilliant story teller with a flair that few could match 

7 hours ago, Bozi said:

Honestly I think that it doesn't matter how you get into his stuff but it will captivate you regardless, he is a genius and a brilliant story teller with a flair that few could match 

My Mrs really likes him now and he's just nothing like anything else she's into. He really is like a Dylan or Leonard Cohen. Poet as much as songwritier