Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

12 minutes ago, tntjambo said:

This is a joke 7.45 on a Sunday night why not 12.30 on a Sunday afternoon at Murrayfield Donkey Doncaster at his best i was going to go with my 2 kids not now we wont get back till after midnight this is a total shambles.

Why? Because things like “Glasgow remaining the heart of Scottish Football” is deemed to be of higher importance than fans being able to attend a semi final.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

16 minutes ago, magicTs said:

I would make a joint statement today confirming that neither club are going to accept tickets for the semi-finals. That the decision taken, with no discussion with the clubs is so farcical and "astonishing" and "appalling" and treats both sets of fans with such contempt that a stand has to be taken. That the welfare and best interests of the clubs supporters is paramount and that both clubs have a responsibility to look after their fans. That they will send their teams to compete in a national semi-final, an occasion that both clubs should have been looking forward to with excitement with no backing. I would call their bluff. I have no doubt that the shit would hit the fan big time as it would become big football news and would garner a lot of coverage forcing them, under pressure from both Betfred and BT to pull the finger out and look at alternatives. A stance has to be taken and their hand has to be forced. Neither statement by either club was nearly enough bit I believe we can threaten them big time and that common sense would have to prevail.

What about the fans that want to go? That’s not fair on them boycotting the match. 

ToadKiller Dog

I'm with the refusing tickets threat. 

Let's see how the spfl deal with the threat of embarrassment. 

With politicians questioning the decision I think it can be won. 

I also trust our players to do their best if there are 3000 or 13000 Hearts fans at the game. 

This stinks of old firm cronyism and if you are happy to accept that then let's just battle for 3rd in the league also 

Just now, The Treasurer said:

From my reading of her statement it's clear that it was a done deal long before she set foot in in "discussion"

She's made it clear that we as a club are unhappy and is continuing to hold talks but, rightly states she doesn't expect any change.

Not sure what else she could or should have said.

The opportunity missed was walking out of the talks yesterday. If we had done that it would be all over the press this morning and not downplayed by the media. We could have asked them to publish all the reasons for the decision so fans could see what the rationale was for it. Sometimes you need to act boldly but it's not really in Budge's make up. She has done some fantastic things for the club but I don't think she has been aggressive enough here. 

Pretty much looks like 2 schools of opinion here, those who think this is a bigger issue than the semi itself and those dazzled by the fact it's a chance to win a trophy. 

Nelly Terraces
9 minutes ago, magicTs said:

I agree mate though I'm not even convinced that Celtic will sell that many tickets. One thing I actually disagree with some Hearts fans about is that their fans are happy with this either. I've looked and its pretty unanimous that this decision is utterly ludicrous and that the decision is a total disgrace. I can honestly see a crowd of 21-23,000 at our match should it proceed as it stands. We'd have got 50,000+ at Murrayfield. Insanity.

Absolutely. It really does not suit them either, let's face it, they have a huge amount of support outwith Glasgow & won't be bothering.

Think 2012 had 36K. That was 24K Ceptic & 12K Hearts. I think you'd be in the right ballpark by predicting roughly a good third off that total this time round.

The club aren’t happy that they were not listened to. The statement says this. No matter where on the angry scale the club are, they have been told it’s happening and will have to deal with it and move on and prepare to give us the best chance of getting to the final.

Totally irrelevant if the statement was stronger the result is still the same. 

We have a great chance to beat them after them being in Europe and changing the date would change that. Shit the kids can’t go but this is still a great opertunity. Hopefully enough will still travel to give us a decent support.

Decision stinks of pandering to the old firm 7.45 on a Sunday night is laughable with the potential of extra time and penalties. 

This decision has been made to pander to the bigot brothers. They moved the league cup semi finals to weekends to try and showcase them more, get more folks along. Well on the back of this decision they'd have been as well playing them midweek. The SFA are a walking contradiction. That clown spouting about contractual obligations to play at Hampden, garbage you played to semi finals at Easter road and tynecastle. How about the old firm sucked it up and played late on Saturday night, there is nothing written in stone saying play on Thursday games can't be played on Saturday. Ultimately what's the difference between playing 12 on Sunday or 7.45 Saturday night. Not massive.

The decision does not factor in hearts or Aberdeen fans to travel in large numbers. Incompetence of the highest order

18 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Which legal department is that precisely? I would like to hope we are not employing bloody lawyers to vet statements from the club.

But let's humour you for a second. Let's say Budge asked for the semi to be moved to the following weekend given we play Celtic that weekend, which makes far more logistical sense than this nonsense. She puts in the statement that she asked for that and it was turned down. Why would that need to be "vetted" precisely? That's the sort of thing I wanted to see, i.e. some effort at offering alternatives.

I do believe that we consult legal experts on the wording of official statements (otherwise we get Dave King-esque ramblings) so that we can't get fined by the SFA/SPFL yes. 

"I was astonished...and I was not alone in that regard...to be informed that both games would be played on the same day at Hampden." 

"had gone into the meeting, confident that the games would be scheduled for different venues...or if not, for different days" 

"I made it clear that we were far from happy with the scheduling, particularly in light of the difficulties it would cause to all traveling supporters" 

"I also expressed my concern, from a footballing point of view, in terms of whether  the pitch would stand up to two games in one day, "

"I asked whether the SPFL would explore with Hampden the possibility of releasing us from the obligation to play both games at Hampden 

So these are all the points she put forward and came out feeling positive that other options could be explored 

" I was advised late this afternoon that a formal request had been made following our meeting but that no release from our contractual obligations was possible" 

She was later disregarded and the shambolic and untrue statement was made. 

So yes I feel that she has chosen her words carefully as otherwise she will be in direct conflict with the league. I am certain that privately she is spitting feathers 

9 hours ago, Brave Hearts said:

So SFA effectively only own Hampden through the financing from an exCetlic director......

and most influential member of SPFL /board is current Celtic chief executive ..........

A significant level of conflict of interests within the 2 governing bodies that compromise their roles  and responsibilities to be representatives of ALL of the clubs and supporters 

All very true but do you see any media picking up on this and questioning why?

Of course not because they have and always will support anything and sverything the old firm want.

Scottish football heirarchy will never change and our game will never progress with these cretins in charge.

They don't want teams like Hearts up there making a challenge to their beloved Celtic.

We the fans are in a no win situation if we protest by way of not going to the game then it's the Players who will be let down after all their efforts to get to the semis.

If we do go then it looks as if we care supporting their decision.

We need to make some very loud protest to make our views on this known as do Aberdeen.

Neverforgetfiveone
6 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

I haven't read through the whole thread, but am I right to infer that having mumped and moaned among ourselves about our shambolic cup record over the past five years, the proposal is now that we boycott the semi-final and leave the lads to their fate?

For the "greater good" of Scottish football??

**** that!

Certainly not - I think the major theme of the thread is the incompetence of Doncaster and the rest of them over at Snake Mountain ? 

your piont is is a good one - it’s impirtant that we go and get right behind the lads.

I suggest huge banners displaying our disgust of the SFA

Neverforgetfiveone
Just now, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Certainly not - I think the major theme of the thread is the incompetence of Doncaster and the rest of them over at Snake Mountain ? 

your piont is is a good one - it’s impirtant that we go and get right behind the lads.

I suggest huge banners displaying our disgust of the SFA

Ps - I hate my phone! ?

I get the totally get the anger as it’s a shambles but us beating Celtic is far more important than a boycott that nobody in Glasgow will care about.

1 minute ago, Jodami said:

The opportunity missed was walking out of the talks yesterday. If we had done that it would be all over the press this morning and not downplayed by the media. We could have asked them to publish all the reasons for the decision so fans could see what the rationale was for it. Sometimes you need to act boldly but it's not really in Budge's make up. She has done some fantastic things for the club but I don't think she has been aggressive enough here. 

Pretty much looks like 2 schools of opinion here, those who think this is a bigger issue than the semi itself and those dazzled by the fact it's a chance to win a trophy. 

I think the best strategy is for both Aberdeen and Hearts to stick together and force a backdown  of the SPFA.

17 minutes ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I thought the SFA has purchased Hampden? So why do they have a contractual agreement to play there? And who is the agreement with? Queens Park? The benefactors that stumped up the money for the SFA? 

Furthermore - why would anyone in their right mind sign that agreement? What happens if there’s a problem with Hampden? 

Im sick to the back teeth of this draconian organisation!! As AB said “Scottish football is on the up” so why not make 2 cracking semi finals, full houses and live on the telly. Stagger the kick offs I f you want but one at Hampden at 3pm and one at Murrayfield at 5:30pm. Everyone’s happy. Bugger the contract - what they going to do?? 

Morons! 

Agree with everything you say except maybe make the Murrayfield ko 1:30 (that allows the celtic fans to get through by any mode of transport) and the Hampden 4pm (allows Aberdeen fans to get to Glasgow by any mode of transport).

3 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

I'm with the refusing tickets threat. 

Let's see how the spfl deal with the threat of embarrassment. 

With politicians questioning the decision I think it can be won. 

I also trust our players to do their best if there are 3000 or 13000 Hearts fans at the game. 

This stinks of old firm cronyism and if you are happy to accept that then let's just battle for 3rd in the league also 

Would only work if Aberdeen and us did it jointly.

Clark Griswold

‘Contractual situation’? Aye, secret contracts with brown envelopes to suit the uglies.

I now can’t take my 5 year old since she’ll have school on Monday morning. 

I can understand most of the reactions to the decision. But some have gone OTT.

There are several things that the club, SPFL and Police can do to help. I have my doubts they will, but who knows, they might surprise us again.

A few ideas:

1) Free buses from Tynie to Hampden and Pittodrie to Hampden, with the costs coming out of the Semi Final pot.

2) Discussions with Scotrail, and the Scottish Govt if necessary, about putting on a couple of football special trains from Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Scotrail will be using a fraction of their rolling stock at the times of these games.

3) Police enforcing road closures to make sure fans from the Sunday night game have a trouble free and quick departure to the motorway.

4) For those that still can’t make the game a beam back at Tynie. 

Surely none of these are too outrageous to be considered.

I’d also like to see Hearts offer a big chunk of Loyalty Points for this game to encourage fans to go. We need a big support spurring us onto victory that night.

19 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Or......

we could simply give the club and players our full backing and win the damn thing.

You just don't get it do you? Jim Spence has your card marked!

If Hearts and Aberdeen refuse tickets. The SPFL will sell them to Celtic and Rangers fans. Bank on it.

Edited by Bez

2 minutes ago, Bez said:

Only lived here for a year. Where does it leave from?

Wilson Street. Would you like contact details for membership...?

2 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Absolutely. It really does not suit them either, let's face it, they have a huge amount of support outwith Glasgow & won't be bothering.

Think 2012 had 36K. That was 24K Ceptic & 12K Hearts. I think you'd be in the right ballpark by predicting roughly a good third off that total this time round.

Yep and the reality is that the league cup is seen as far from their priority. They've won it the last 2 years and have Europa tickets to buy and numerous other midweek night fixtures in the run up to Christmas. I just can't see a sizable crowd at this at all. Such a shame for our staff, our players and our support. 

20 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Totally agree.  This whole scenario has been played out to suit only the Old Firm and their support.  All this nonsense about "contractual obligations". Is just that. I don't doubt that Hearts and Aberdeen been drawn against each other the "contractual obligations" would not have applied and the game would not have been played at Hampden. Yet again supporters from out with Glasgow being seriously disadvantaged.

Well said,if this was to go to penalties,our bus would get back to Gala around 1.30am and our members from Hawick would be 2am with work that morning and that's only if the traffic is ok,if not add another 30-45mins.!!

Glasgow blazers looking after Glasgow bigots !!

Dagger Is Back

I'm all right Jack seems to be the modern day norm. Sad

Not sure how folks can say they have no pitch concerns. Much depends on the weather conditions leading up to, and on the day. There will be an absolute uproar on here if we lose say Naismith, to serious injury as a result of the pitch not being able to cope

Travel will be an issue unless the SPFL have somehow managed to speak to Scotrail and sorted out later trains. With a 745pm ko it's entirely possible with extra time and penalties that folks are only getting out of the ground about 1030. Not a chance in hell that you can hoof it to the bus, get out of the carnage that is Hampden and back to Edinburgh by midnight. You've then got to get home. What about folks even further afield?

There's potential for trouble at lots of games but this is a self made and totally unnecessary situation. Semi finals and finals should be big family days. 28 October will be a case of getting into Glasgow, do the game and then get straight back out again for anyone other than those living there. What kind of great day out is that?

The reputation of our game seems to be on the up at the moment. Two clubs still in Europe, attendances up but now we have two televised national finals played in a half empty stadium.

Will their be carnage in the streets as some say? I doubt it as I think most folks will stay away anyway. Others will amend their plans and settle on getting to and from the game without any frills but as always, there will be some who take full advantage of a bizarre decision 

ToadKiller Dog

Remember the wet midweek semi when Barry ferguson played basketball, what was our support 6k? 

What was the pitch like? 

I also remember the journey home that night. 

Thinks that's what we may well be looking at. 

Speaking as a non-Hearts observer, as a Weegie (and proud) who actually likes Hampden, I don't think the reaction is overdone.

FIrstly, the travel issues for Aberdeen for the first game (there are also travel issues for the OF fan base in The Emerald Isle, but I don't  care about them).

Then there's the disturbance for local folk on a Sunday morning (whether they want a lie in or to go to kirk/chapel). Imagine waking up, nipping out for a paper and finding the streets awash with Sevco neanderthals and guys in red talking in that weird accent.

Then there's the logistical question of two games in a day. If there are issues at the first game, it could have a real impact on preparations for the second.

Then there's travel and logistics for Jambos at the second game. Travel is rubbish late any day in Glesca since the cooncil sold off its buses to FirstEvil (be very grateful for LRT). Getting away from Hampden on your own steam late on a Sunday will be murder.

The vicarious home advantage to the Irish team and the British team is, of course, a perennial issue. The Spiffle say they're contractually obliged to use Hampden for both games. 1) What a rubbish contract to get into 2) It can surely be over-ridden given that the evil two are the ones being inconvenient by making up the numbers in the Europa League and not being able to play on Saturday? Contractual obligation nothing. They're loading the dice to try to press for an Irish team v British team final.

The football authorities are as obdurate as they are corrupt. It's fixed now, they won't change. The only thing is for you guys to thump the green brigade again and Aberdeen to abandon all previous practice and show some bottle against Sevco.

You're savng Scottish football in the league. Now do it in the League Cup.

36 minutes ago, Erik said:

I'd normally laugh off any talk of boycotting or withdrawing from games as being daft and ridiculous.

However, in this case - maybe its actually a pretty good stage to do so.

I'd have LOVED to see us progress to the final and potentially lift the cup, however 'wee' it might be. But, if it genuinely was for the greater good - I'm at the stage where i'd probably actually gladly sacrifice that 'final experience' in favour of withdrawing from the tournament completely.

If both Hearts and Aberdeen were to withdraw, that would be up there alongside the day Rangers died as one of the biggest things to happen in Scottish football in modern history.

Realistically though - its not going to happen. And realistically its probably still a bit of a ridiculous suggestion - but, maybe not as ridiculous as some are making out.

I do agree that the only way to force them to change their stance on this is to make serious threats that will jeopardise the whole thing - refusing to take any tickets and screening the game at Tynecastle instead would probably be about the best we can hope for at this stage.

One thing we absolutely cannot / should not be doing is sitting back and just taking this, of that much I'm sure.

Correct

38 minutes ago, afm said:

Totally agree with your thoughts Dalry.  If it was a Wednesday night game we would have the same transport issues getting home.

No we wouldn't. It will be a Sunday service on public transport.

While its true sometimes we have to play midweek Cup and league games away from home we also take a lot less fans to midweek away games for the same reason we will take about half as many to this game as an afternoon kick off.

You and the OP clearly don't have children who will be upset at not being allowed to attend.

This is an massive PR disaster by the organisers of the competition.

Super Sunday more like loony tunes Sunday.

Selkirkhmfc1874
48 minutes ago, Dalry said:

I'm really surprised by the reaction to the semi-final situation. Yes it's not ideal but it's not that bad at all, I'm really looking forward to it.

To address a few points:

The Pitch

Ann Budge has some nerve bringing up the potential state of the pitch given how bad our pitch has been in recent seasons, it's been a disgrace, thankfully we've sorted it now but the Hampden pitch won't be that bad, it'll be fine, and it'll actually suit us if it's cut up a bit.

Travel

I don't see how this is different to a midweek game? I prefer a late kick-off. We're going through for a good meal and drink and watch the famous HMFC under the floodlights against a weakened/tired Celtic team, the atmosphere will be amazing. I remember going through on the train for a Rangers LC semi-final a while back. Got to Hampden no problem, a few beers in a bar near Hampden with a mix of Hearts and Rangers fans in the bar, no problems, and got the train back. The M8 will be quiet and many supporters will be on coaches and cars, we'll be back around midnight.

Trouble

I think this is hugely exaggerated. Most football fans are fairly civilised people. Every club has it's idiots, and there is always pockets of trouble at the games, but most Aberdeen and Rangers fans will go home after the match or if they go to bars it'll probably be in their local areas, most city centre pubs won't allow football colours. There will be a heavy police presence at the train stations and underground as well as in the city centre etc. I don't see many problems at all.

I remember the same carnage was predicted with Hearts and Hibs going through to Hampden for the semi-final but I don't recall much trouble.

Aberdeen know that all semi-finals are at lunchtime on a Saturday and Sunday. If they had drawn against us they would still be going down for a lunch-time kick-off. Yes it's not ideal but that is how it is these days for armchairs viewers and the money TV brings in. Aberdeen should be grateful they're in the bloody semi-final!

I for one am really looking forward to it. Moving the game may be to our detriment as Celtic are away in Europe on the Thursday. We've never had a better chance to beat them in a semi-final and I love night games and can't wait for this. Hopefully we'll take a 10k strong following through.

Let's lose the negativity and this nonsense talk about boycotts etc. Many of you have been through mid-week to Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth, LIverpool and Tottenham, it's only bloody Glasgow! 

We're going through for a great night, hopefully a memorable one. The team deserve a huge backing so get yourselves along there, it won't be nearly as bad as some are predicting.

Can't wait.

Being a single dad of 2 very young kids it rules us out on a school night ! A national semi final on a Sunday evening 7.45pm is an absolute disgrace for families who bring kids to the games 

The decision is an absolute farce.

That said, one part of the OP I do agree with is that I’d rather not move the game to the following week. Better playing Celtic when they are tired after playing in Europe, as ultimately the most important thing is getting through.

9 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

What about the fans that want to go? That’s not fair on them boycotting the match. 

The point of my proposed joint statement would be to enforce a review of this nonsensical decision. Do you honestly think that if Hearts and Aberdeen were to stand up to them in this manner they will simply say ok no worries?!! Not a chance as this will become big news in the football world. The sponsors will be livid, the Tv company will be livid and the shit will hit the fan. It will be a complete embarrassment to them and they will quickly scurry to save face and suddenly other options will emerge! Christ, it might even be the very thing to see heads role given their total ineptitude and we might see the likes of Doncaster fall on his sword. In my opinion calling their bluff is a worthwhile tactic on this occasion. 

28 minutes ago, Hearts Daft said:

I'm taking my kids as well. However, if it had been a 4pm kick off at Murrayfield my wife would have come and it would have been a much better day out. I wouldn't fancy wandering around Glasgow city centre that late afternoon or evening with Rangers having been beaten earlier in the day by the sheep.

Very true would much of preferred the same but it's not happening. Done a few scotland games midweek late and the kids love the atmosphere, just hope most people don't sack it .

Francis Albert
8 hours ago, RobNox said:

To your first question FA, I suspect she was unaware of any contractual obligations, otherwise she would have known there was no possibility that one of the games could be played elsewhere, whereas her statement says she expected the possibility of the games being staged at different venues.  In light of that, the answer to your second question must be no.

I would hope that Ann is now seeking clarification of the so called contractual obligations and questioning why the clubs weren't consulted or even informed of this obligation.

Have we been told yet to whom these contractual obligations are owed? I can't see why the broadcasters should prefer (if other teams were involved) a semi to be played at a three quarter empty Hampden rather than a packed Tynie or ER. My guess would be a contractual obligation by the SPFL to the SFA connected with their purchase of Hampden..if Doncaster entered into such an agreement without consulting or even informing the clubs that is the 100th reason he should be sacked. In any case If the SFA were involved (as surely they must have been in some fashion)) they too should surely have informed the clubs

Edited by Francis Albert

Using the Tynecastle pitch the last couple of seasons during winter as an argument for us to suck it up :laugh:

Awful post. This is a national semi final! Clearly is not being treated as such by the footballing authorities. 

Oh, yes, and there's the pitch. It's the end of October. By then it's usually been raining for three weeks solid in Glasgow. Even if Hampden was the best pitch in the world, it might be like old Boghead after a performance by the JCB Display Team after the SevcoSheep game.

8 minutes ago, Bez said:

If Hearts and Aberdeen refuse tickets. The SPFL will sell them to Celtic and Rangers fans. Bank on it.

Yep, and it will be portrayed as a sign of the popularity of the Glasgow teams versus the lesser supported lesser teams.

49 minutes ago, afm said:

Totally agree with your thoughts Dalry.  If it was a Wednesday night game we would have the same transport issues getting home.

No we wouldn't.

You've heard of a Sunday service aye?

The people who run Scottish football had a chance to schedule a game maximising the crowd and experience for fans.

Once again, they’ve failed (and demonstrated a particular indifference to football fans outside Glesca).

2 minutes ago, magicTs said:

The point of my proposed joint statement would be to enforce a review of this nonsensical decision. Do you honestly think that if Hearts and Aberdeen were to stand up to them in this manner they will simply say ok no worries?!! Not a chance as this will become big news in the football world. The sponsors will be livid, the Tv company will be livid and the shit will hit the fan. It will be a complete embarrassment to them and they will quickly scurry to save face and suddenly other options will emerge! Christ, it might even be the very thing to see heads role given their total ineptitude and we might see the likes of Doncaster fall on his sword. In my opinion calling their bluff is a worthwhile tactic on this occasion. 

I Agree donkey Doncaster needs to go this decision is complete madness something has to be done to sort this mess.

19 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

So it is better to leave out the parts where the club offered alternatives then?

Don't think she was even given the opportunity to do so.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Haken said:

Yep, and it will be portrayed as a sign of the popularity of the Glasgow teams versus the lesser supported lesser teams.

I think even the Scottish media or SFA or SPFL could not run with that!