John McGlynn ..... New Falkirk manager ( updated )

Chambie15

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OTT

• McGlynn The Money

• Sooks

• Unknown user

Silvery_Moon

Great result and well done John.

He never managed a win v Hibs in the 5 derbies he managed us against them (including losing our unbeaten run in 2015) so good to see him win this one.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

John seems a very competent manager. 

He does. I think he's really underrated as a manager and can obviously work with young players extremely well. I don't think he's ever really been given the respect he deserves. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, OTT said:

He does. I think he's really underrated as a manager and can obviously work with young players extremely well. I don't think he's ever really been given the respect he deserves. 

Was't our first and certainly not our last manager to not get the respect he deserves. 😎

McGlynn The Money
10 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Great result and well done John.

He never managed a win v Hibs in the 5 derbies he managed us against them (including losing our unbeaten run in 2015) so good to see him win this one.

Cheers mate. It was a huge result for me and the boys and we're all buzzing. 

I just hope that my name doesn't get used in increasingly desperate and weird attempts to stir up division over Robbie...

6 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Was't our first and certainly not our last manager to not get the respect he deserves. 😎

...looks like I spoke too soon. What a surprise.

7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Absolutely. The picture folk laugh at of him (I think from when we played ICT or County) where he’s wearing the training gear and suit annoys me. It’s just blatant disrespect to someone who laid the foundation blocks of the best group of youngsters the club has produced in years - Paterson, Walker, Nicholson, Holt, King, McGowan etc. He also gave us that memorable result at Annfield with a team which had zero money to spend and had lost multiple senior players. 

He’s a proper football man that has contributed so much to Scottish football. Maybe hasn’t had a glamorous career, but deserves a lot better than some of the stick he’s faced. 

• 6 months later...
A_A wehatethehibs
17 minutes ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

image.jpeg.6233df9935f7ab4294e2c75c327c4afa.jpeg

what was the guy on the left called again??

I told you Robbie Neilsons no a winger mate 🤷‍♂️

As much as I love Gary Locke (how can you not) and as much as our league form was dire at the time, I feel John was hard done by not getting the chance to manage us in the 2013 league cup final. Think there’s a good chance we’d have walked away with the cup that day if he had been 

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

As much as I love Gary Locke (how can you not) and as much as our league form was dire at the time, I feel John was hard done by not getting the chance to manage us in the 2013 league cup final. Think there’s a good chance we’d have walked away with the cup that day if he had been 

I agree.

Poor decision, with the inevitable outcome.

John is one of the good guys to have been Hearts manager. I still remember him looking like he was going to knock out that arrogant assistant Strachan had at Celtic. 

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

A result that should have endured Locke never managed Hearts in another game.

Good player, great supporter but totally out of his depth in charge.

Now found his niche helping club and both parties thriving.

On 14/02/2023 at 14:04, Frank Sidebottom said:

Malovev or similar? 

Francis Albert

Glad to see McGlynn doing well. Took some silly abuse on here because he wore track suit over his suit when inspecting a muddy pich in the rain and for the dark glasses. The latter possibly to do with an eyesight problem common enough.  

Always thought McGlynn was a decent manager.  He maybe lacked that wow factor and was seen as a soft option at the time.

8 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Always thought McGlynn was a decent manager.  He maybe lacked that wow factor and was seen as a soft option at the time.

Not sure about Manager in his own right, but as a coach, he has always been highly regarded. 

I think he'd be a great coach for our academy. Very proven track record and heaps of experience working with youth. Much of the Paterson/Walker generation were all brought into the first team under McGlynn. 

Obviously appreciate he's doing his own thing at the moment, but if the opportunity ever arose, I'd be very on board with bringing him back in that capacity. 

8 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

I think it was more than the wow factor. I remember being at St. Mirren for what was his last game I think. He insisted on playing with one striker ( Sutton) on the basis that two or three up "just meant that the box was congested'" I think we were two down after about 20 minutes and he still didn't change it. It's fair to say that he didn't have too many options but neither did St. Mirren.

12 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I think it was more than the wow factor. I remember being at St. Mirren for what was his last game I think. He insisted on playing with one striker ( Sutton) on the basis that two or three up "just meant that the box was congested'" I think we were two down after about 20 minutes and he still didn't change it. It's fair to say that he didn't have too many options but neither did St. Mirren.

I heard an interview with him, he admits to being a very cautious manager back then. After he got the tin tack from us he went on a ‘football journey’ spent time with some big clubs and managers and studied them. He also met with Pep and came back into management and tried to implement what he’d learnt from these guys (mostly Pep I think) His teams do play decent football and Falkirk will do ok with him in charge.

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I heard an interview with him, he admits to being a very cautious manager back then. After he got the tin tack from us he went on a ‘football journey’ spent time with some big clubs and managers and studied them. He also met with Pep and came back into management and tried to implement what he’d learnt from these guys (mostly Pep I think) His teams do play decent football and Falkirk will do ok with him in charge.

He was a scout at Celtic, and I recall reading about how big an influence Brendan Rogers was on his change in style.

It's working, very successful in the lower leagues. Unfairly criticised no doubt because he doesn't have that wow factor, the tie and trainers pic comes to mind. Nothing to do with his ability to coach a player. Had us leading at Anfield. Good guy.

On 14/02/2023 at 14:32, AC Mallin_51 said:

Aye he should definitely have been given the final. Although with the absolute sitters Sutton missed that day I'm still not convinced we'd have won it!

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Aye he should definitely have been given the final. Although with the absolute sitters Sutton missed that day I'm still not convinced we'd have won it!

True, absolutely criminal 

• 4 weeks later...
McGlynn The Money

Bring your tonic, bring your gin,

we're going to Hampden with John McGlynn.

Edited by McGlynn The Money

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Bring your tonic, bring your gin,

we're going to Hampden with John McGlynn.

Aye good for him, one of the good guys

MR INCREDIBLE

Well done John !!!

Some new coaching ideas we could steal from you ….playing full backs as full backs in a back 4 and even more enterprising playing a striker up top and not in midfield!!!

Delighted for John.

He could barely contain himself at FT last night.

With Robbo's connection at ICT I'm probably neutral about who gets to the final. 

SFA, gtf.

The Treasurer
5 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Well done John !!!

Some new coaching ideas we could steal from you ….playing full backs as full backs in a back 4 and even more enterprising playing a striker up top and not in midfield!!!

Well done !!!

A thread congratulating a former coach on getting his current team to the semi finals and you manage to turn it into a tiresome wee dig at our current manager.

Impressive stuff

I like John McGlynn, he’s a good coach who gave us years of service and has a good eye for young players. 

His season as manager was one of the most deflating periods I’ve had watching Hearts (along with 07-08 and 19-20), I’m not sure how much of that was really his fault in hindsight. The Anfield goal is the best celebration I’ve ever been a part of so at least I’ve always have that.

Going from the 5-1 straight into losing Paulo, Rudi, Suso, Black and Beattie and then selling Templeton and McGowan pretty quickly was dire, Grainger and Zal were injured most of the time as well so we were basically playing with the previous seasons reserves. 

That season really felt like the descent for me, started with the high of Anfield and finished with genuine fear that we might implode. At the time I was quite angry with John, but now that the dust has settled all I can about the guy is no hard feelings and thank you for your efforts.

Weakened Offender

Very pleased for JM. Deserves all the praise. Had he still been in post for the League Cup and during the Administration season I think our recent history would have been quite different. 

Can you imagine the current incumbent narrowly going out by a single goal over two legs, versus anyone half decent, never mind an English Premier League club? 

Be honest, how do you think Robbie would set us up? Would we give them any kind of game? 

10 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Well done John !!!

It’s INCREDIBLE the way you think ?

Gordon_1874
On 16/02/2023 at 21:22, Sooks said:

Angel Chervenkov wasnt it

On 14/02/2023 at 14:04, Frank Sidebottom said:

Korobochka or Eddie Malofeev

1 hour ago, Gordon_1874 said:

Korobochka or Eddie Malofeev

That’s not Korobochka or Malofeev on the left. Malofeev is on the right . 

davemclaren
10 hours ago, Sooks said:

That’s not Korobochka or Malofeev on the left. Malofeev is on the right . 

It's Dr. Julius No.  

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

It's Dr. Julius No.  

Honestly no idea Dave . I thought may be Angel Chervenkov , but right enough he did not appear on the scene until Shaggy was in about the first team . I do not even remember Dr Julius in all honesty 

Tayside Jambo
On 16/02/2023 at 19:03, OTT said:

I think he'd be a great coach for our academy. Very proven tracksuit record and heaps of experience working with youth. Much of the Paterson/Walker generation were all brought into the first team under McGlynn. 

Obviously appreciate he's doing his own thing at the moment, but if the opportunity ever arose, I'd be very on board with bringing him back in that capacity. 

Sorry couldn't resist 🤣

Agree with your statements. Good coach and someone who would take back if an opportunity arose and suited all parties.

The Old Tolbooth

Had the pleasure of an afternoon in John's company in Musselburgh a number of years ago now, it must've been around 2005 ish, and a nicer guy you couldn't meet, he had all the time in the world for us and conducted himself brilliantly, a proper gentleman who didn't get a fair crack of the whip at Hearts. 

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

The way we treated him was a sin,

is it time to bring home John McGlynn?

Yeah, wasn't he the gaffer that played Gowser as an attacking midfielder?

It's a no from me

Unless you're joking, in which case...........

lol