Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

It's probably the first time in his career he will have decent management and coaching, in great facilities. 

Good luck to the lad. What a chance for him.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

The Internet
11 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The comparisons to Souttar are obvious but I think the closest signing to Wighton in the past (and this thread looks very similar to his signing thread) is Robbie Muirhead. People were mixed on his signing and were still mixed by the time he left.

Anyway, welcome to the club.

If Wighton can put 2 past Rangers it'll all be worth it :pray:

Muirhead comparison is fair though. Hopefully it works out better than that.

The Apprentice

Shankland has had a good season and a bit goal scoring wise but that doesn’t mean he’d do it at Hearts. The lad Dundee signed from Dunfermline a couple of years ago, El Bakhtaoui had a similar hot streak and did nothing of note. Now I see he’s back at Dunfermline on loan. Shankland’s been at Aberdeen and spent time on loan elsewhere and didn’t cut it. 

Happy to trust the club on this one. Wighton was/is a highly regarded young player and if we can get the best out of him we could have a real player on our hands. 

Welcome Craig. Can't believe that some folk are moaning about him already, he is only 21, give the guy a chance. 

Seen the stats and out of his 83 league games, he has started 39 games so throwing around that he has 'only' scored 7 league goals is unfair and 19 of these starts came the season before he got his bad injury, the following pre season. 

Blatantly obvious that he has suffered with confidence after the injury and he only started playing again at the end of last season. 

Considering we have been after him for years, I have trust in the management especially as he now has a manager who believes in him which clearly hasn't been the case with McCann. 

57 minutes ago, RobNox said:

I read the Dundee thread on the link posted here earlier, and it certainly seems the majority of them are disappointed and a lot seem to think Levein will get the best out of him, especially if we can toughen him up a bit.

Bear in mind he was out injured last season and has been at a club who have struggled in recent seasons, so confidence and team spirit might be low.  He's coming to us a time when the buzz around the club is as high as it's been for years and playing for a manager he already has a good relationship with, and he knows has been after him for some time.  It might just be the ideal environment for him to start to flourish and realise his full potential.

When I read their take on him, I just kept thinking he sounds like Novikovas. Not necessarily a bad thing that.

2 hours ago, HeartofHartley said:

I can see it and know it well, you aren't getting my point at all. Which doesn't surprise me.

Now give me examples of players that never scored much in Scotland playing for a worse team that came to us and scored plenty...?

That perfectly describes Hartley, you dufus.

And if reports are to be believed, this lad can play the attacking midfield role ffs

What is your point?

Because it seems as if it's more to do with your ability to get it across, than my comprehension of it.

49 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The comparisons to Souttar are obvious but I think the closest signing to Wighton in the past (and this thread looks very similar to his signing thread) is Robbie Muirhead. People were mixed on his signing and were still mixed by the time he left.

I felt Muirhead was just starting to come on to a game when he left. I hope this lad does the business for us he’s joined at the right time and hopefully the confidence in the squad will rub off on him. Players like him thrive on confidence so we’ll see if he fulfils his potential.

The player I got the news from is buzzing about the signing! Think that's a good sign. 

It's been a great transfer window. 

7 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I see people on here have started to be shop fronts again already despite the week we have had

Kinda people that moan that it's too hot when we get a nice summer

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Current top scorers

Uche 4 

Naismith 4

MacLean 3 

Not enough?

4 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

I would add Naismith to that list

Enjoying a few Belgian beers this afternoon???

Just now, Nobreath said:

Dundee fans are on the whole pretty gutted that he's leaving.

Always a good sign.

JKB-ers on the whole gutted he is joining.

Always a good sign.

6 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Enjoying a few Belgian beers this afternoon???

Fell into Bottle of JD after work

Looks like he gets the ball, turns, runs directly at goal taking on defenders or jinking out and hitting a shot. Super direct.

I would be using him as a sub. Let Uche batter their defence for 70 odd min's. Then bring him and his pace on. Think this guy will great against tired legs late on.

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I liked Muirhead but it is similar situation. Arguably Wighton has a better reputation as a prospect and the huge difference is we have more experienced pros to help Wighton than we had when Muirhead arrived. It’s definitely no coincidence that Souttar has flourished since Berra and Hughes got here.

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, HeartofHartley said:

English teams bid 150k and was turned down. I reckon it's because he plays for Ayr. However they are punching above their weight and he is still scoring. I'm disappointed and underwhelmed by this guy if he is our answer to laff until January. Anyone who wouldn't be is deluded. 

It's this sort of piss-poor trolling that drains my motivation to renew my jkb subscription. Why would I want to pay money to read this obvious bullshit?

I like a player who can play with the ball that close to his feet if that makes sense. Exciting signing this one 

6 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

It's this sort of piss-poor trolling that drains my motivation to renew my jkb subscription. Why would I want to pay money to read this obvious bullshit?

No idea why these trolls are allowed to get away with it but they seem to have free reign on here now.

jambo-rocker
4 hours ago, HeartofHartley said:

Not the same record as Shankland about a year behind imo. We need someone now.

Wighton has two years, also Keena has four years on Shankland. Keena has enough potential to go from regular goalscorer, to equal if not more, profilic goalscorer at that level at the very least, well before he reaches 23. Wighton arguably even moreso.

Edited by jambo-rocker

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
1 minute ago, jambo-rocker said:

Keena has four years on Shankland. Keena has enough potential to go from regular goalscorer, to equal if not more, profilic goalscorer at that level at the very least, well before he reaches 23.

Keena looks the real deal to me. Excited to see how he develops.

We hadn't replaced Walker or Milinkovic, nor do we have another player who could come in for Naismith in the 'free role'. I feel that is what Wighton will be shaped into, a number 10 type player / inside left. 

There was a site, 'SPFL stats' or something that looked at where we created chances and what players had created chances for us in the previous two seasons and it was clear that Walker and Milinkovic were at the time 'the' players who created the most chances. We've added wide players, full backs, Mulraney and promoted Morrison but we still needed another talented attacking player to create chances. 

Obviously we've strengthened all over the park and we now have midfielders, full backs and attacking players who create chances but we were still missing that depth in that particular area. Delighted to have him on board.

In the past two days we've added a quality left sided player in Mitchell who is likely to play left midfield and Wighton, a well regarded right winger/ attacking midfielder.

That's great business.

As for the Lafferty chat.

We signed Uche and McLean until Lafferty's more natural replacement arrives which is a hell of a lot more than we had last season.

We've learnt a lot of people don't follow Scottish football including the Scotland younger age groups.

People gagging for Shankland a player recently released by Aberdeen. But unaware of one of biggest talents of recent years who has played at every level for Scotland below senior team.  

It is uncertain how he'll do. But he's rated by Hearts so he's got a good chance. 

Bazzas right boot

The amount of folk that fail to realise that football is a team game is really baffling. 

We won't ever, ever have the best individual players in the league (or at least, no time soon). 

We need to build a team. 

A team that is balanced, has depth and is underpinned by good quality, if not the best. 

Getting a good prospect from a club in the same division adds to the team and squad. 

Folk moaning should get a grip. 

We are clearly heading in a good direction, let it play out rather than pick things apart which seems, imo for the sake of it. 

i wish jj was my dad
5 hours ago, HeartofHartley said:

Please don't start excusing 8 in 93 for a forward. Simple to fix, buy a striker that scores that would have cost the same in Shankland.

Do you know what we paid for Wighton. Or how much Shankland would cost?

And without being particularly clued up on either one is a centre forward who plays in and around the box and the other isn't.

NaturalOrder74

I reckon we will manage to develop him into some player, with another striker coming in January anyway I’m sure there will be a plan in mind 

FarmerTweedy
3 hours ago, Barack said:

For anyone wondering what the similarities are with Lafferty...there's none. Doesn't play through the middle. More skilfull & more assists. Like has been said, he'll be playing Naismith's role in the future...

So, at least one assist then?

1 hour ago, tokyowalnut said:

The player I got the news from is buzzing about the signing! Think that's a good sign. 

Souttar by any chance? 

Although we were after Wighton before, I've got to say this came as a bit of a surprise this week.  That tells me that Wighton was seen as part of the jig saw and the fact we paid a 5 figure sum emphasises that.  i await with interest and anticipation.

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Although we were after Wighton before, I've got to say this came as a bit of a surprise this week.  That tells me that Wighton was seen as part of the jig saw and the fact we paid a 5 figure sum emphasises that.  i await with interest and anticipation.

I'm wondering if our good start to the season has encouraged strengthening the squad for a good go at it. 

But I think the Lafferty money has allowed this. 

Edited by Mikey1874

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

6 figure!

4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

6 figure!

Correct.  My arithmetical ability reduces as the alchol consumption increases.

Edited by JamboAl

...a bit disco
50 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Correct.  My arithmetical ability reduces as the alchol consumption increases.

So does your grammar it would seem.

:whistling:

11 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

So does your grammar it would seem.

Should you not have a comma after the word "grammar"?

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

So, at least one assist then?

15 assists, I think.

And people are right to point out that a lot of his appearances have been as sub; if you add up his minutes of game time played, I think it comes to roughly 53 matches.

And because of his lengthy injury last year, all but 13 of his appearances for Dundee were as a teenager.

This thread is going to come back to haunt a few posters. Anyone want to dig out the thread on Uche not being good enough because he was coming from England's League Two and it was too much of a jump up in standard. Aye right then.

...a bit disco
8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Should you not have a comma after the word "grammar"?

:lol:

15 hours ago, HeartofHartley said:

I'm underwhelmed I never said the boy was hopeless. If anyone claims they would rather have this guy over Shankland however is absolutely blinded and narrow minded to everything Levein does.

Shankland is unproven at this level a bit like Gavin Reilly was.

Not saying he wouldn't cut it but to say he's guaranteed to be better that Wighton is nonsense.

Unknown user
11 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

10 hours ago, RobNox said:

Souttar by any chance? 

You'd think so eh, they've known each other since they were kids at Cathro's school

21 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Shankland is unproven at this level a bit like Gavin Reilly was.

Not saying he wouldn't cut it but to say he's guaranteed to be better that Wighton is nonsense.

Why are you comparing two totally different players ?

1 minute ago, johnthomas said:

Why are you comparing two totally different players ?

Are Reilly and Shankland not strikers?

Shankland in unproven at this level is the point I was making.

Maroon tinted glasses 2

Welcome Craig, whilst you wear the badge and give your all when representing Hearts you will have my full support. Have a great career at the mighty jt's. 

19 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Are Reilly and Shankland not strikers?

Shankland in unproven at this level is the point I was making.

Sorry misread your post . I was referring to people who were comparing Wighton to Shankland (and , in some cases , Lafferty)

14 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Sorry misread your post . I was referring to people who were comparing Wighton to Shankland (and , in some cases , Lafferty)

:2thumbsup:

For those comparing Wighton to Shankland, I would imagine that Shankland would have cost double what Wighton did (assuming we paid about £100k for Wighton). There's every chance if we'd gone for Shankland that would have scuppered our chances of getting Vanecek in today.