Orange marches this Saturday

Dunk-Section G

Dunk-Section G

There are two scheduled for this Saturday. One in Leith, and one later in town after a larger one in Grangemouth (I think).

The main problem with such events is the wee bams who follow along the side.

Personally I have no problem with the march. Actually, I enjoy the music. However, it is the presence of the drunken idiots with Rangers tops on who have no knowledge of what they are saying/singing/gesturing that angers me.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope it rains heavily, with gale force winds and a wee bit thunder and lightning for good measure on Saturday.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
There are two scheduled for this Saturday. One in Leith, and one later in town after a larger one in Grangemouth (I think).

Personally I have no problem with the march. Actually, I enjoy the music. However, it is the presence of the drunken idiots with Rangers tops on who have no knowledge of what they are saying/singing/gesturing that angers me.

Each to their own and all that, but I don't like the atmosphere that goes with these marches

Doctor FinnBarr

Thats about the gist of it.

:cool:

maroonlegions
Hope it rains heavily, with gale force winds and a wee bit thunder and lightning for good measure on Saturday.

well i hope a lot of people get dressed up as bananas and go along to protest cos the bananas are not getting a fare deal from these orange feckers eh.:P

The Mighty Thor

I have no problem with them either. They should be encouraged.

Folks should go watch, take your kids. It's like watching Jurassic Park brought to life. Pre-historic specimens in a mutated version of a celebration of an event 300+ years ago that has no relevance in our modern society.

Living history folks.

Aw that would be class, loads of people turnign up dressed as oranges and getting pashed off when their told they cant join in.

RockyBalboa
Aw that would be class, loads of people turnign up dressed as oranges and getting pashed off when their told they cant join in.

:laugh:

I use to like going along. Last one i went to was Bathgate, never touched Pernod since :boak:

I have no problem with them either. They should be encouraged.

Folks should go watch, take your kids. It's like watching Jurassic Park brought to life. Pre-historic specimens in a mutated version of a celebration of an event 300+ years ago that has no relevance in our modern society.

Living history folks.

I agree.

Those people who also care about Bannockburn or William Wallace are just as bad.

The Mighty Thor
I agree.

Those people who also care about Bannockburn or William Wallace are just as bad.

I wasn't aware that there were large marches celebrating William Wallace or the battle of Bannockburn in major towns and cities across the provence of Northern Ireland?

If so then i'd recommend the local residents go watch them too. Same applies.

I wasn't aware that there were large marches celebrating William Wallace or the battle of Bannockburn in major towns and cities across the provence of Northern Ireland?

If so then i'd recommend the local residents go watch them too. Same applies.

VE Day as well.

People living in the past, losers.

The same applies to those who attend any anniversary celebration.

There is a Bannockburn March...it takes place from Stirling to the Battlefield.

This is to commenorate those who died fighting for what they believe in.

Orange Marches celebrate (not commorate) something which didn't even take place in this country. Most on the march won't even have a clue what actually happened. To this day many believe it was Catholics v Protestants, which is ridiculous.

The Mighty Thor
VE Day as well.

People living in the past, losers.

The same applies to those who attend any anniversary celebration.

Most of these things are slightly different.

the annual 'celebration' of the Orange order relates to a battle in Drogheda, County Louth. Therefore the relevance to those of that persuasion in Northern Ireland i get. To march there i understand.

To parade in Leith, Penicuik and Grangemouth etc i don't get. I'm missing the relevance to Drogheda of these places.

Orange Marches celebrate (not commorate) something which didn't even take place in this country. Most on the march won't even have a clue what actually happened. To this day many believe it was Catholics v Protestants, which is ridiculous.

Then ban Christianity in Britain, Jesus wasn't crucified here :rolleyes:

It's a religious ceremony, matters not where the events occurred ;)

Don't be daft. How is it religous?

It was a battle between those loyal to one monarchy v those who were loyal to another. Protestants fought on both sides; Catholics fought on both sides.

At the Battle of the Boyne, Willam of Orange's own men carried the papal banner ffs.

I think the original point is that some of the people who attach themselves to this event know absolutely nothing about the historical part of it. They are basically out for the day to celebrate "orangeness" :P

Don't be daft. How is it religous?

It was a battle between those loyal to one monarchy v those who were loyal to another. Protestants fought on both sides; Catholics fought on both sides.

At the Battle of the Boyne, Willam of Orange's own men carried the papal banner ffs.

So if it is not religious what is it then?

People who believe in that cause, marching to commemorate the events and success of what they believe in?

So if it is not religious what is it then?

People who believe in that cause, marching to commemorate the events and success of what they believe in?

I've just told you what it is! It was a battle between those loyal to one king, and those loyal to another.

I've seen nothing or heard nothing about any commemoration. It's a celebration - a celebration of an event where 1000's of people died.

What has this got to do with modern day Scotland? Nothing!

Every march by the Orange Order is nothing but a bunch of bigots dressing in up in colourful sashes; parade about the place in bowler hats; and promote bigotry.

Spitonastranger

agree hopefully the lightning will strike a few

I've just told you what it is! It was a battle between those loyal to one king, and those loyal to another.

I've seen nothing or heard nothing about any commemoration. It's a celebration - a celebration of an event where 1000's of people died.

Every march by the Orange Order is nothing but a bunch of bigots dressing in up in colourful sashes; parade about the place in bowler hats; and promote bigotry.

Like Christmas and Easter, think we should stop having them too?

Like Christmas and Easter, think we should stop having them too?

If your not a Christian, then I don't see why people would celebrate it.

You still haven't answered my question. What relevance do orange marches have in Scotland today?

Do you mean Sahsed off?

You still haven't answered my question. What relevance do orange marches have in Scotland today?

The relevance is there are people is Scotland who believed in the cause the people on William's army fought for and want to both celebrate and commemorate the victory.

They are not going to have a march in India for it are they? Where nobody has probably even heard of the Boyne.

There is a march because there is a demand for the march.

If I didn't particularly agree with it I'd avoid it, given enough notice.

It established a Protestant monarchy in this Country so you could say that gives it relevance.

It was essentially a religious battle in the sense that King James II and William of Orange were on opposite sides of the religious divide.

A bit like the boring flag debates on here, there will be strong opinions on both sides of the argument and no one is likely to be convinced to change their views on account of what is stated on this board

The relevance is there are people is Scotland who believed in the cause the people on William's army fought for and want to both celebrate and commemorate the victory.

They are not going to have a march in India for it are they? Where nobody has probably even heard of the Boyne.

There is a march because there is a demand for the march.

If I didn't particularly agree with it I'd avoid it, given enough notice.

But you just implied was religious?

I agree, having it in India would be mad - it's not in the same country where it happened...wait a minute, neither is Scotland!

PS You've still not answered the question.

It established a Protestant monarchy in this Country so you could say that gives it relevance.

It was essentially a religious battle in the sense that King James II and William of Orange were on opposite sides of the religious divide.

A bit like the boring flag debates on here, there will be strong opinions on both sides of the argument and no one is likely to be convinced to change their views on account of what is stated on this board

Religion was a factor, it was not the ultimate factor though. It was not simply Catholics v Protestants, as the bigots believe.

Political as well.

In the wider context the battle of the Boyne can be seen as one battle in the civil war that engulfed our islands from the 1640's onwards, culminating in the Battle of Culloden.

The issue at stake wasn't really religion, but rather parliamentary supremacy over autocratic kingship.

If it was a simple as religion, why would the Pope of the day hold a celebration mass on receipt of the news of William's victory? The realpolitik of Europe at the time and the expansion of Louis XIV's France was as much of a factor in the Papacy's decision too.

The reason the battle is remembered so fondly in Ireland (and by default Scotland) is that at the time that is where the battles were fought and they had local intrigue included in them that transcended the bigger political picture of why James & William were actually fighting.

It is also interesting to note that, iirc, the Orange Order was set up to protect it's right to religious liberty. This was not just aimed at Rome, but also at Anglican supremacy over presbyterian practices.

So not as simple as Protestant v Catholic, however over time simplicity helps boost dwindling numbers...

But you just implied was religious?

I agree, having it in India would be mad - it's not in the same country where it happened...wait a minute, neither is Scotland!

PS You've still not answered the question.

I did answer, there is a march as there is a demand for it to celebrate and commemorate the cause in which the army of William fought for.

Jesus wasn't born and crucified in Scotland, God's never walked down Princes Street. Should we ban Christmas? Not a chance.

These events have had a knock on effect to our society so there will be people who want to celebrate a whole number of occassions.

Most of these things are slightly different.

the annual 'celebration' of the Orange order relates to a battle in Drogheda, County Louth. Therefore the relevance to those of that persuasion in Northern Ireland i get. To march there i understand.

To parade in Leith, Penicuik and Grangemouth etc i don't get. I'm missing the relevance to Drogheda of these places.

They also parade in honour of Martin Luther nailing his theses to the church door and some also parade to remember the Ulster Division at the battle of The Somme. They march to celebrate there protestantism if anything is wrong with that? An open bible is often held inviting other religions to come and join them. This was an act of forgiveness following the slaughter of the covenanter's in the 17th century by the catholic's, known as the killing time. A visit to the Grassmarket will enlighten you to who was hung there. A plaque outside the "Last Drop" names many of them.

I however have no wish to be an Orangeman or agree with their views but to criticise them without knowing their history, or indeed the history of Scotland is wrong.

Mate, you have a major chip on your shoulder here.

It's very disappointing.

The Mighty Thor
They also parade in honour of Martin Luther nailing his theses to the church door and some also parade to remember the Ulster Division at the battle of The Somme. They march to celebrate there protestantism if anything is wrong with that? An open bible is often held inviting other religions to come and join them. This was an act of forgiveness following the slaughter of the covenanter's in the 17th century by the catholic's, known as the killing time. A visit to the Grassmarket will enlighten you to who was hung there. A plaque outside the "Last Drop" names many of them.

I however have no wish to be an Orangeman or agree with their views but to criticise them without knowing their history, or indeed the history of Scotland is wrong.

Deek

if the marchers, the organisers or attendees knew a quarter of what it was all about i would have no issues with it. (i've already stated i don't anyhow)

My knowledge of the history of this subject and my country is reasonably good. Probably better than most that get uptight about it all on here.

Commander Harris

that seems a wee bit bigoted to me.

that seems a wee bit bigoted to me.

Toggie displays the stereotypical behaviour of the Right On Brigade. :sad:

Rather than consider the reasons for, and context of, the march he simply jumps right in with a pre-programmed response and brands the Orange Order bigots because that's what his fellow hand-wringers expect.

It's rather ironic that it's Toggie himself that displays bigoted behaviour due to his entrenched, inflexible and ludicrous views. :o

Deek

if the marchers, the organisers or attendees knew a quarter of what it was all about i would have no issues with it. (i've already stated i don't anyhow)

My knowledge of the history of this subject and my country is reasonably good. Probably better than most that get uptight about it all on here.

Do you know anyone who marches? I know quite a few people who do it regularly and know all about it. Are you basing your theory on what you have seen at these marches or the fact half of Braindead Glasgow can't tell their @rs? from their elbows?

The Mighty Thor
Do you know anyone who marches? I know quite a few people who do it regularly and know all about it. Are you basing your theory on what you have seen at these marches or the fact half of Braindead Glasgow can't tell their @rs? from their elbows?

Do i know any orangemen personally? No i'm afraid i don't.

I have to be honest i have never seen a march in Glasgow. I have seen several in Edinburgh and the lothians and had the pleasure of sharing a flight to Belfast last July with a group of very cerebal 'gentlemen' from Whitburn who were on their way to the marches in the provence. very enlightening.

Tell me what's your view on all this?

Do you think there are two types of marcher then?

Proper Orangemen that know the history and the heritage of their order and the reasons for their marches and celebrations.

what about the others? 'rangers taps' and 'up to our knees'? Where do they fit in?

The public perception is that they are all one and the same.

Do you see that those that haven't a clue will misguidedly destroy the very thing they profess to support?

I find it all interesting but look forward to your viewpoint.

Why not just have one big field and everyone who wants to have a march can be assigned a day a year to use it.

Wouldn't make any difference to the marchers and the rest of us can live our lives in peace.

Miller Jambo 60

Just an excuse for a pager end off.

Barr the lot the papes and the prods.

Weegie mingers anyway.

Just an excuse for a pager end off.

Barr the lot the papes and the prods.

Weegie mingers anyway.

Douglas, you are the voice of reason my friend.

All this gives me an idea.

There must be hundreds of thousand(s?) of Hearts fans so is it not time we mobilised and created the Maroon Walk?

We could march through scabbie outposts like Grangemouth and Leith. Forget the bowler hats, we could wear those maroon and white jester hats favoured at cup finals.

I'll need some help on the detail but would imagine the airhorn would be the instument of choice. Every bit as relevant as an orange walk, and a great way to wind up hobos.

All this gives me an idea.

There must be hundreds of thousand(s?) of Hearts fans so is it not time we mobilised and created the Maroon Walk?

We could march through scabbie outposts like Grangemouth and Leith. Forget the bowler hats, we could wear those maroon and white jester hats favoured at cup finals.

I'll need some help on the detail but would imagine the airhorn would be the instument of choice. Every bit as relevant as an orange walk, and a great way to wind up hobos.

Pinching the idea from a hibby on the wind-up on this very board but kazoo's would be perfect.

Pete Seeger

You would have to be pretty sad to go on a march to commemorate someone from hundreds of years ago. Move on. If Both the Orange marches and the Republican marches have no place in Scotland then neither should anti English racist guff like marching to Bannockburn.

Professor.Arturo

Our MSP's past and present, along with Edinburgh city council are a joke when it comes to this stuff. One minute we hear all albout their 'alleged' efforts to kick bigotry out of Scotland, then the next minute they give permission to the the orange lodge and the james connolly trash to march through our city!!

No doubt there are apologist for both parties on here, with the usual bull**** responces, its not bigoted, or its traditional.....well to use an old American phrase....blow it out yer ass! bigots one and all, orangemen or connolly IRA supporters.

davemclaren
You would have to be pretty sad to go on a march to commemorate someone from hundreds of years ago. Move on. If Both the Orange marches and the Republican marches have no place in Scotland then neither should anti English racist guff like marching to Bannockburn.

...and don't mention Trafalgar day ( anti-French ) or VE day ( anti-German ).

People march for the strangest reasons. :rolleyes:

portobellojambo1
Deek

If the marchers, the organisers or attendees knew a quarter of what it was all about i would have no issues with it. (i've already stated i don't anyhow)

I think you will find that the marchers and organisers know all about the institution that is The Orange Order The Mighty Thor, and full understand why they are participating in a given parade.

Those that don't really understand the Orange Order don't understand it because they have never been members, so make assumptions with regards to what happens within meetings (these people tend to have a similar viewpoint with regard to Freemasonry, and again tend to be very mistaken in that viewpoint) or base their viewpoint on the 3rd party you mention above, the attendees (although I have assumed by attendees you mean a number of those that stand on the pavement watching).

If you honestly think that you can sum up The Orange Order based on the antics of some people standing on a pavement, wearing Rangers strips and making an erse of themselves then fine you are welcome to your viewpoint, and I really cannot be bothered arguing the other side. The actual opinion of the Orange Order on sections of those who come out to watch is actually remarkably similar to some of the views expressed on here.

The Mighty Thor
I think you will find that the marchers and organisers know all about the institution that is The Orange Order The Mighty Thor, and full understand why they are participating in a given parade.

Those that don't really understand the Orange Order don't understand it because they have never been members, so make assumptions with regards to what happens within meetings (these people tend to have a similar viewpoint with regard to Freemasonry, and again tend to be very mistaken in that viewpoint) or base their viewpoint on the 3rd party you mention above, the attendees (although I have assumed by attendees you mean a number of those that stand on the pavement watching).

If you honestly think that you can sum up The Orange Order based on the antics of some people standing on a pavement, wearing Rangers strips and making an erse of themselves then fine you are welcome to your viewpoint, and I really cannot be bothered arguing the other side. The actual opinion of the Orange Order on sections of those who come out to watch is actually remarkably similar to some of the views expressed on here.

PJ1

I don't profess to understand the orange order or have any intimate knowledge of the order or indeed the freemasons. I made the point that the members and legitimate marchers end up being tarred with the brush of those that watch 'rangers taps' and all. The legitimacy and reasoning for the march is usually lost in the nonsense that accompanies the marches.

Archived