***World Cup 2018 - Croatia v England***

Cade

shaun.lawson
55 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

RIGHT, BRING ON YOUR TSUNAMI OF SALTY TEARS

:biglaugh:

Before the match, I wrote the following: "If we lose tomorrow, watch how everyone assumes that I'll be crying "bitter, salty tears". Nope. I'm absolutely delighted by how we've done, and at no point have ever believed we'd win the tournament. For me, tomorrow is just the difference between an excellent World Cup and a magnificent World Cup for England".

And would you just look at that...! Yet it's exactly how I feel. Absolutely delighted about an excellent World Cup for England.

I've not always reacted like that. How have I felt after our exits over the years?

1990: Proud

1992: Livid

1994: More livid... though this turned into hilarity in the first few seconds in San Marino

1996: Proud, a bit gutted but no more than that

1998: Devastated. That one hit me much, much harder than any other defeat. I was in a daze for several days afterwards.

2000: Embarrassed; and astonished at the way the media ignored Keegan's laughable tactics

2002: Very calm and happy with our tournament overall. At no point did I ever think we could beat Brazil; it was a lot like the Croatia game in that sense.

2004: Frustrated at 4-4-2 and the manager

2006: Livid at 4-4-2 and the manager - but after the Sweden game, I'd given up on us getting that far in any case

2008: I wanted Croatia to win. So I sat laughing as we got knocked out

2010: Apoplectic at 4-4-2 and especially the manager

2012: Gutted

2014: Resigned

2016: Laughing my head off and willing Iceland on in the second half

2018: Proud and relaxed. 

One person, and all those different reactions. So imagine what it's been like for all English people everywhere throughout that time. ;) 

Edited by shaun.lawson

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Hearts007

• Alex Kintner

• ri Alban

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Is it heretical to say they didn't?

Dunno, not really sure what that means but bash on :thumbsup:

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Is it heretical to say they didn't?

So you're just disowning the bit about how laughing at England affects Scotland's performance then aye? 

Don't blame you, bollocks is a tough sell.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The thread is Croatia England. Away and start a new thread as you are going off topic. See others got in ahead of me

13 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Maybe we should, why not start a thread?

Meanwhile, "In part maybe because of our parochial and rather sad obsession with England" - how does that work exactly?

In 1967 we celebrated being unofficial  world champions because of a one off win at Wembley. Which I enjoyed as much as anyone. But we never really addressed the issue if why despite at the time and for a decade and more afterwords having a wealth of football talent  we never performed on the international stage. Beating England seemed the be all and end all.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

In 1967 we celebrated being unofficial  world champions because of a one off win at Wembley. Which I enjoyed as much as anyone. But we never really addressed the issue if why despite at the time and for a decade and more afterwords having a wealth of football talent  we never performed on the international stage. Beating England seemed the be all and end all.

Still doesn't answer how a boy in the pub laughing at England getting beat is connected to Scotland's performance but there you go.

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

:laugh: hey at least you gave it a shot

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
On 11/07/2018 at 14:00, Shaggy2 said:

SSN report this morning suggested Croatia had a surprisingly intense training session last night. Those lads are fine, so don’t fret. England got away with their hard game because Sweden were happy to concede possession and their fitness wasn’t tested. 

Croatia looked knackered, I grant you but they’re capable of controlling this game from the centre of the park. 

It is a hard one to call. 2-1 Croatia in 90.

Called it. Game was won in centre and score line. Not time though but meh. 

Re England fans downplaying the disappointment..let’s be realistic here; there will NEVER be a better opportunity to reach the World Cup final & then get a shot at winning the World Cup fact. No Italy, no Holland and Germany,spain,Argentina and Brazil all poor this year and not even making semis. Never. Nothing against that England team-they’re likeable and so is Southgate but facts are facts. Never.

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

It can also be about how Croatia can achieve something Scotland have never been able to dream about. In part maybe because of our parochial and rather sad obsession with England. 

Indeed.

What is the Scottish league modelled on - including its four divisions and even the names of those divisions? England. Why does Scotland have such a ludicrous number of clubs playing in a nationwide league? Because England does too. What do fans always complain about? The money Scottish football receives, as against what English football receives. 

Which country should Scottish football be modelled on? With its similar climate, similar sized population, small top league but long history of over-achieving at international level? Denmark. It'll never happen though.

And somehow, despite fighting a war only a generation ago, despite many of their mothers and fathers having been killed during that war, I'm having a really hard time imagining Croatia fans over the past 20 years decking themselves out in the colours of whoever Serbia were playing... or being frantic with every bone in their bodies for Serbia to lose every time they played. No doubt some do feel the latter. But more have, shocker, focused on themselves. On their own team, their own already excellent achievements even before this latest, greatest one of all. 

Croatia have believed in themselves. Logic says it should be impossible for a country their size to have reached the World Cup Final. But they've done it. And their expectations are such that, despite only 4m people, failure to qualify for any tournament is a disaster; not qualifying for the knockout stages is unacceptable. They demand more, they achieve more. They even sacked their coach last October, after a disappointing but hardly terminal qualifying campaign.

Scotland, on the other hand? Scotland managers make excuse after excuse. Content themselves with 'matching their seeding'. Serve up shit on a stick again and again. Yet despite a fantastic football history, despite more of its fans per capita attending club matches than anyone else in Europe, does Scotland demand more of its national team? No. It talks itself down, it gets incredibly angry at its neighbour talking itself up, and round and round we go. No change, no root and branch reform, just same old, same old. 

Incidentally, one other thing. This "they'll never get a better chance again!" nonsense. That's just another sign of how relentlessly negative the mindset of so many Scots is. Absolute, frantic desperation to pour scorn on anything England ever do; belief, for some bizarre reason, that history will just magically reassert itself (if it did, Scotland would start qualifying for things again); total ignorance of the serious problems facing countries like Argentina or even, perhaps, Germany; ignorance, too, of how many other nations are becoming more and more competitive, despite Croatia's success here; and of England's excellent youth setup and management structure beyond that.

Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan. Sorry folks - but with attitudes like these (Francis and others excepted), you get the national team you deserve. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
25 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Indeed.

What is the Scottish league modelled on - including its four divisions and even the names of those divisions? England. Why does Scotland have such a ludicrous number of clubs playing in a nationwide league? Because England does too. What do fans always complain about? The money Scottish football receives, as against what English football receives. 

Which country should Scottish football be modelled on? With its similar climate, similar sized population, small top league but long history of over-achieving at international level? Denmark. It'll never happen though.

And somehow, despite fighting a war only a generation ago, despite many of their mothers and fathers having been killed during that war, I'm having a really hard time imagining Croatia fans over the past 20 years decking themselves out in the colours of whoever Serbia were playing... or being frantic with every bone in their bodies for Serbia to lose every time they played. No doubt some do feel the latter. But more have, shocker, focused on themselves. On their own team, their own already excellent achievements even before this latest, greatest one of all. 

Croatia have believed in themselves. Logic says it should be impossible for a country their size to have reached the World Cup Final. But they've done it. And their expectations are such that, despite only 4m people, failure to qualify for any tournament is a disaster; not qualifying for the knockout stages is unacceptable. They demand more, they achieve more. They even sacked their coach last October, after a disappointing but hardly terminal qualifying campaign.

Scotland, on the other hand? Scotland managers make excuse after excuse. Content themselves with 'matching their seeding'. Serve up shit on a stick again and again. Yet despite a fantastic football history, despite more of its fans per capita attending club matches than anyone else in Europe, does Scotland demand more of its national team? No. It talks itself down, it gets incredibly angry at its neighbour talking itself up, and round and round we go. No change, no root and branch reform, just same old, same old. 

Incidentally, one other thing. This "they'll never get a better chance again!" nonsense. That's just another sign of how relentlessly negative the mindset of so many Scots is. Absolute, frantic desperation to pour scorn on anything England ever do; belief, for some bizarre reason, that history will just magically reassert itself (if it did, Scotland would start qualifying for things again); total ignorance of the serious problems facing countries like Argentina or even, perhaps, Germany; ignorance, too, of how many other nations are becoming more and more competitive, despite Croatia's success here; and of England's excellent youth setup and management structure beyond that.

Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan. Sorry folks - but with attitudes like these (Francis and others excepted), you get the national team you deserve. 

That is a top post, by the way. Stings like hell, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. 

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Qualified for 6 WCs and 2 Euro champs when there were less places up for grabs. In which we had Brazil in our group 4 times, with West Germany and Holland the other 2. 

Edited by ri Alban

5 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

:biglaugh:

Before the match, I wrote the following: "If we lose tomorrow, watch how everyone assumes that I'll be crying "bitter, salty tears". Nope. I'm absolutely delighted by how we've done, and at no point have ever believed we'd win the tournament. For me, tomorrow is just the difference between an excellent World Cup and a magnificent World Cup for England".

And would you just look at that...! Yet it's exactly how I feel. Absolutely delighted about an excellent World Cup for England.

I've not always reacted like that. How have I felt after our exits over the years?

1990: Proud

1992: Livid

1994: More livid... though this turned into hilarity in the first few seconds in San Marino

1996: Proud, a bit gutted but no more than that

1998: Devastated. That one hit me much, much harder than any other defeat. I was in a daze for several days afterwards.

2000: Embarrassed; and astonished at the way the media ignored Keegan's laughable tactics

2002: Very calm and happy with our tournament overall. At no point did I ever think we could beat Brazil; it was a lot like the Croatia game in that sense.

2004: Frustrated at 4-4-2 and the manager

2006: Livid at 4-4-2 and the manager - but after the Sweden game, I'd given up on us getting that far in any case

2008: I wanted Croatia to win. So I sat laughing as we got knocked out

2010: Apoplectic at 4-4-2 and especially the manager

2012: Gutted

2014: Resigned

2016: Laughing my head off and willing Iceland on in the second half

2018: Proud and relaxed. 

One person, and all those different reactions. So imagine what it's been like for all English people everywhere throughout that time. ;) 

CE7EC742-16C0-43BF-ACA2-55252A48BCD8.jpeg

4 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Indeed.

Where's my violin.

You seem obsessed with Scotland instead of focusing on how much of a waste of time the last Month has been for England. Scotland out in the qualifiers, England out in the semi final. Same result. Nae World championship. 

Is it home yet?????? 

Missing you (England, not you) already. :byebye:

shaun.lawson
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Scotland out in the qualifiers, England out in the semi final. Same result.

And there we are folks. The Scottish mentality perfectly summed up in one post. So Hibs, it's unbelievable.

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

So... your wife is English, your son is half English, you live and work in England, the majority of your friends are English... yet you're physically incapable of being happy for them if their team wins a football match? To the point of raging with fury at anyone who doesn't loathe their team with a passion?

What a strange, strange little man you are. 

You're coming home, your coming home, your coming, England's coming home... 

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

You're coming home, your coming home, your coming, England's coming home... 

You never left, you never left, you never, Scotland never left...

And there we are folks. The Scottish mentality perfectly summed up in one post. So Hibs, it's unbelievable.

Did you win the World Cup? No. Bloody marvellous. Richest, biggest league and you cannae beat a team that's never beaten Scotland. 

The difference between Scotland and England. We know we're shite.

You never left, you never left, you never, Scotland never left...

Saved a fortune. Canny Scots indeed. 

shaun.lawson
Just now, ri Alban said:

The difference between Scotland and England. We know we're shite.

And that is why you'll remain shite. Forever and ever and ever.

It's quite remarkable. You, full of hopes and dreams for an independent Scotland. A young, modern, inclusive, dynamic, independent Scotland, full of courage and new ideas. Reduced to taking pleasure out of laughing at a team which reached a World Cup semi-final, when Scotland haven't qualified for a single tournament this century.

It's more than remarkable actually. It's stunningly eye-opening.

39 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Sad. 

Incidentally, I've just noticed your location. You hate England so much, you live there. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'll file you alongside Sean Connery as "great patriotic Scots who are completely full of shit".

Does it hurt Sean, does it really hurt?  My heart bleeds. 

:illogical:

2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

It's quite remarkable. You, full of hopes and dreams for an independent Scotland. A young, modern, inclusive, dynamic, independent Scotland, full of courage and new ideas. Reduced to taking pleasure out of laughing at a team which reached a World Cup semi-final, when Scotland haven't qualified for a single tournament this century.

And you'll give us a laugh for ever and ever and ever and ever. 

:glorious:

3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

It's great tho, intit.

:greggy:

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

It's great tho, intit.

:greggy:

Time of your life, it seems. :laugh: Don't worry ri, only another 2 years before you get to enjoy anything in international football, so make the most of it while you can. :D 

Edited by shaun.lawson

9 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

What was your first thought when England got knocked out? Post after post about me, even in my absence. I know you can't help it - you're only human - but my word.

But now you've acknowledged that, here's an idea. How about less anger and more humour? There's plenty of things to laugh at when it comes to the England football team. That was redjambo's complaint, and it's mine too. Lack of originality or subtlety. ;) 

When you back on 5Live Shaun?

My insomnia is getting the better of me just now.

Ah ha.

The Shaun Lawson Show is back in full swing. 

Me me me me me me me.

12 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Time of your life, it seems. :laugh: Don't worry ri, only another 2 years before you get to enjoy anything in international football, so make the most of it while you can. :D 

This is Shaun :banghead:

This is me:jambobanana:

Bindy Badgy
19 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

What was your first thought when England got knocked out? Post after post about me, even in my absence. I know you can't help it - you're only human - but my word.

It's because everyone knows you'll react to it. You're the easiest target on the planet.

34 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

So... your wife is English, your son is half English, you live and work in England, the majority of your friends are English... yet you're physically incapable of being happy for them if their team wins a football match? To the point of raging with fury at anyone who doesn't loathe their team with a passion?

What a strange, strange little man you are. 

Shaun I thought you had a self imposed ban to chill out rather than argue and fight with everyone , letting you gather your thoughts and go back to some good points and a lot of hyperbole? 

The Scottish mentality for some may well be due to a feeling of opression but for most its not the players or manager (least not this time) , but it is the insanity that hits the media and commentators.

I was watching the baseball this morning as I always do and the quality of commentating and respect for rivals is on a different level. A lot of the summarisers are ex players of the team they commentate on yet if an opponent hits a dinger or an opposing pitcher has filthy stuff they commentate on it impartially. They don’t turn it round to how they were lucky as they are crap or not as good as their team. 

The fans jibe each other but you wouldn’t hear O’B , Remy or Eck say the World Series is coming back to Boston before its 99.99% there let alone coming home. 

Is the pain/longwait over? Is very different statement to , Its coming home etc. Its how its portrayed as many have said to you. The difference in the two above is humility and respect. 

It is not in anyway very Hibs and to even try and say so is utterly disrescpectful and I expect better from you. 

Edited by sadj

29 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

But now you've acknowledged that, here's an idea. How about less anger and more humour? There's plenty of things to laugh at when it comes to the England football team. That was redjambo's complaint, and it's mine too. Lack of originality or subtlety. ;) 

Is there? A team thats managed by a decent bloke and has united the team and whilst possibly underachieving by the teams inflated ranking , has done something only two England teams have achieved before. They may lack creativity and may be poor at the back if you get at them but they played to their strengths. The thing to laugh at is the absurd attitude of media of arrogance and over self indulgence whilst disrespecting the opponents. We are in a unique situation up here whereby when it comes to things like this its overhyped and set up by said media on a high pedastel ready to topple over and crash down in style. Its then rammed down our throats. Wales and NI etc we’d not laugh at as the media don’t portray them the same way. Therefore people think England deserved that haha.

Edited by sadj

31 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Post after post about you...really?

As I can only see about 1 or 2 at the absolute most after the Croatia game?

And my first posts had nothing whatsoever to do with you...Jesus, you’re completely obsessed that everyone thinks about you.

Post lot of pish on a SCOTTISH forum about England, then expect a hell of a lot of pish coming right back at you...and have the emotional fortitude to be able to deal with it.

But you can’t, can you Shaun?

Edited by Deviskan

From reading this thread, I can only summise that as our neighbours Hibs are in the Uefa Cup qualifiers and we're not, we should be wanting them to do well. If we take the piss after their inevitable exit, then we are the reason Hearts won't qualify for Europe. 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

We know we're shite.

I often wonder why the SNP don’t produce a car sticker with this. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I often wonder why the SNP don’t produce a car sticker with this. 

©Better together 

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Up all night giving it

DDB0D088-3B05-47D0-892F-4A21AB2D6127.gif.97bd2e4b2625603f28e60f7d2c402572.gif

but claims he’s not upset or heartbroken.

:pleasing:

:laugh:

Nookie Bear
23 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Anyway :jambobanana:

:illogical:

Its actually quite tricky having a good argument with someone with such low self esteem 

:mellow:

Alex Kintner

“2016: Laughing my head off and willing Iceland on in the second half”

Actually cheering on your country to get eliminated from a major tournament. 

:cornette:

Reminds me of when I used to play Champ Manager as a teenager. One time when I was managing Lithuania we were losing 5-0 at half-time to Finland in a match. I spent the second half laughing and wanting Finland to score more goals. It did feel a bit odd but at the end of the day it was just a game on a computer screen and I had no actual emotional attachment as a fan to Lithuania or real understanding of what it was to be a real life Lithuania supporter.  

Edited by Frank1874

8 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Bit harsh tbf mate.

In the cold light of day have to agree with you. His condescending tone just winds me up. Edited to say,  having since seen some more of his posts maybe I wasn't too harsh after all

Edited by XB52

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Its actually quite tricky having a good argument with someone with such low self esteem 

:mellow:

Oh dear. Poor wee Nookie Bearsden

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nookie has a penchant for Rangers does he?

5 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Nookie has a penchant for Rangers does he?

No, just throwing shite back his way. 

Croatia success is an interesting one.

My theory is that the players strongly believe in themselves. It's a culture going back at least 30/40 years when Yugoslavia seemingly based mainly on Croatian players. 

So no matter their FA etc might be even more dysfunctional than here it's the players who bring them through. Though some of the heroes of 1998 are also leaders in their FA. 

Also note that Slavan Billic can take some credit as manager previously when some of current team started to come through. He helped Rakitic chose to play for Croatia instead of Switzerland. 

So we need the players to lead any revival perhaps.  

10 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Indeed.

This is peak Lawson.

Its also complete and utter bollocks.

When I take the piss out of my mates when England get beat I do so in the knowledge it has zero impact on Scotland's inability to qualify for a major tournament.

Bindy Badgy

Genuine question here Lawson.

Why post on here after England lose? You know a number of posters will be gunning for you and trying to get a reaction. I used to post on a music forum that was full of Little Englanders that threw a tantrum any time anyone dared be critical of the England football team. There was even one poster that claimed that it was perfectly reasonable for him to be "offended" when someone said that England weren't playing as a team. I stopped posting on there as their opinions made me angry. If you find the opinions on here so distasteful why expose yourself to them?

Edited by Stokesy

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Damn, you’re good. 

Nobody escapes the Scottish Inquisition. :ninja: