***World Cup 2018 - Croatia v England***

Cade

Alex Kintner
15 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I think chatting may be a very polite way of describing the exchange of views???

Just had a read. Ripped up for arsepaper and quite rightly so. Sitting online while your country plays a World Cup semi final :facepalm:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Hearts007

• Alex Kintner

• ri Alban

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Croat players always featured very prominently in the Yugoslavia Team which preceded it. The only current Scotland player who might get anywhere near a UK team if one existed is Andrew Robertson at Liverpool. Our game needs drastic surgery, whether in Union or not.

It's quite simple. The national team manager if he has any savvy picks the best players available to him. That means realising they don't all play for Celtic and Sevco. Unfortunately Alex McLeish doesn't have the balls to do that. Imho or strongest world cup squad was the 1974 squad. No coincidence the manager had no OF connection.

It doesn't get said alot or at all. Jock Stein failed in 1982. Under him we almost didn't qualify for 1986. 

It was a huge tragedy what happened at St Ninians Park with his death but the truth is Jock wasn't setting the heather on fire as the national team boss.

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It's quite simple. The national team manager if he has any savvy picks the best players available to him. That means realising they don't all play for Celtic and Sevco. Unfortunately Alex McLeish doesn't have the balls to do that. Imho or strongest world cup squad was the 1974 squad. No coincidence the manager had no OF connection.

It doesn't get said alot or at all. Jock Stein failed in 1982. Under him we almost didn't qualify for 1986. 

It was a huge tragedy what happened at St Ninians Park with his death but the truth is Jock wasn't setting the heather on fire as the national team boss.

Harsh in my opinion - we only lost one game, to Brazil, in 82 and finished second behind Spain in our qualifying group for the 86 world cup.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Harsh in my opinion - we only lost one game, to Brazil, in 82 and finished second behind Spain in our qualifying group for the 86 world cup.

We were unbeaten in 74. We only lost to Peru in 78 but beat the runners up.

Finishing second to Spain meant a play off with Australia. We won 2-0 at Hampden and drew 0-0 in Melbourne but we're very fortunate to do so. Jock Stein obviously wasn't at the helm for the play off games.

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

We were unbeaten in 74. We only lost to Peru in 78 but beat the runners up.

Finishing second to Spain meant a play off with Australia. We won 2-0 at Hampden and drew 0-0 in Melbourne but we're very fortunate to do so. Jock Stein obviously wasn't at the helm for the play off games.

I don't really get what relevance 74 or 78 has to be honest, but if we're comparing 78 & 82, in the first we only lost to Peru while in the second we only lost to Brazil. Of course, we never got past the first round in 82 but we beat New Zealand as expected, lost to Brazil as expected and drew with a decent USSR team.

I suppose technically we did fail in that we didn't qualify for the next round, but I'd say results were as you'd expect myself.

SwindonJambo
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I don't really get what relevance 74 or 78 has to be honest, but if we're comparing 78 & 82, in the first we only lost to Peru while in the second we only lost to Brazil. Of course, we never got past the first round in 82 but we beat New Zealand as expected, lost to Brazil as expected and drew with a decent USSR team.

I suppose technically we did fail in that we didn't qualify for the next round, but I'd say results were as you'd expect myself.

In 74 we were the only unbeaten team in the whole tournament.

Unknown user
Just now, SwindonJambo said:

Didn't know that, but it still doesn't mean Jock Stein failed 8 years later with different players on another continent. IMO of course.

shaun.lawson
12 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Croatia deservedly reaching the WC final is a huge achievement. While many Scots gloat over England's defeat the thing that grates with me even more is that Croatia are and have been now for a few decades at a different level from Scotland despite the correlation between size/interest and success.

Croatia, population 4.2m, became independent in 1991. Since when, they've reached one World Cup Final, one World Cup semi-final, and two Euro quarter-finals.

Over the same period of time, Scotland, population 5.3m, have... scored two World Cup goals. And still isn't independent either. :rofl:

And with regard to what someone else wrote: no, Croatia don't have the SFA. They have something much, much, much worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/07/how-luka-modric-and-dejan-lovren-got-caught-up-in-croatian-corruption-world-cup-football

Edited by shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

So were New Zealand in 2010. England went home unbeaten in 1982. But what does either matter?

Alex Kintner

Some English fans actually think they’re going to get to at least the semi-finals of the next four tournaments and will win at least one of them.

:cornette::gok:

John Findlay
1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

Croatia, population 4.2m, became independent in 1991. Since when, they've reached one World Cup Final, one World Cup semi-finals, and two Euro quarter-finals.

Over the same period of time, Scotland have... scored two World Cup goals. And still isn't independent either. :rofl:

And with regard to what someone else wrote: no, Croatia don't have the SFA. They have something much, much, much worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/07/how-luka-modric-and-dejan-lovren-got-caught-up-in-croatian-corruption-world-cup-football

Still to good for England the EFA Sky sports and two dozen pundits and 50+ millions.

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Still to good for England the EFA Sky sports and two dozen pundits and 50+ millions.

He already posted that exact same post over the road. Clearly didn’t get the bites he was looking for the first time :facepalm:

shaun.lawson
2 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Some English fans actually think they’re going to get to at least the semi-finals of the next four tournaments and will win at least one of them.

:cornette::gok:

"At the advice of others, I'm going to put you on ignore. Then I'll keep stalking you and obsessing over you regardless, like the creepy weirdo I am". 

And yes. I do. :thumbsup: 

shaun.lawson
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Indeed. Yet any proper football nation should be hurt - very hurt - and angry, and demanding of real change, if they had Scotland's record over that time.

Instead of demanding change, instead of voting with their feet... Scottish fans take extraordinary amounts of pleasure in their 'rivals' losing a World Cup semi-final. Which is all rather instructive on why, in football terms, you are where you are.

Edited by shaun.lawson

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Croatia, population 4.2m, became independent in 1991. Since when, they've reached one World Cup Final, one World Cup semi-final, and two Euro quarter-finals.

Over the same period of time, Scotland, population 5.3m, have... scored two World Cup goals. And still isn't independent either. :rofl:

Only 2 things left to achieve .. win a major tourney.. and beat Scotland ;)

Edited by kingantti1874

5 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the bbc are reporting it might have been something along the lines of "no surrender"

I spotted a Derby County England flag with "no surrender" in bold letters last night. 

Edit : The Sun is reporting same. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Indeed. Yet any proper football nation should be hurt - very hurt - and angry, and demanding of real change, if they had Scotland's record over that time.

Instead of demanding change, instead of voting with their feet... Scottish fans take extraordinary amounts of pleasure in their 'rivals' losing a World Cup semi-final. Which is all rather instructive on why, in football terms, you are where you are.

Stop shifting Shaun. This isn't about how shite Scotland are. Its about Scots having a laugh about England getting beat. Nothing more nothing less.

7 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Instead of demanding change, instead of voting with their feet... Scottish fans take extraordinary amounts of pleasure in their 'rivals' losing a World Cup semi-final. Which is all rather instructive of why, in football terms, you are where you are.

Crawled out from under your England flag duvet have you?

Yup, I took extraordinary pleasure from seeing your country get schooled last night...it was glorious viewing.

But you’re not upset are you, no of course not...Shaun is proud of what they have achieved, and is not completely torn apart at the fact his one single chance of seeing England win a World Cup Final in his lifetime has been trampled all over.

I’M CALLING PISH ON THAT ONE SHAUN!

95570641-755E-4F30-92F8-51C2DB456EFE.jpeg

Edited by Deviskan

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Stop shifting Shaun. This isn't about how shite Scotland are. Its about Scots having a laugh about England getting beat. Nothing more nothing less.

:verysmug:

Alex Kintner
Just now, Notts1874 said:

We can’t laugh at Shaun though because even when they were 1-0 up last night he’d already fully accepted they were going to lose. Allegedly.

So for all the English fans and media out there (except Shaun of course)...

C6D7DE4E-9C2A-48FE-B26A-D9CF43C141E1.jpeg

5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I spotted a Derby County England flag with "no surrender" in bold letters last night. 

Edit : The Sun is reporting same. 

Ah the delightful DLF. If its the flag I have seen previously it also has a Rangers badge at one of the corners.

Alex Kintner
5 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Crawled out from under your England flag duvet have you?

Yup, I took extraordinary pleasure from seeing your country get schooled last night...it was glorious viewing.

But you’re not upset are you, no of course not...Shaun is proud of what they have achieved, and is not completely torn apart at the fact his one single chance of seeing England win a World Cup Final in his lifetime has been trampled all over.

:jjyay:

Maroon Sailor

Shaun's reverse psychology finally ran out of gas ..... Just like Croatia would do .........

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:verysmug:

How many times did the English TV media bang on about Germany getting bombed out of the tournament - it happened when doing interviews with a German guy at Wimbledon last week  just after he had won and again at Silverstone pre race (Vettel ?) - but when Scots laugh at their arch enemy losing .......

15 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Before you have a chance to respond Shaun...gimme a sec to prepare.

...bit longer

nearly ready

Almost....

RIGHT, BRING ON YOUR TSUNAMI OF SALTY TEARS...I’M READY FOR YA!

21278D5D-9222-4F9D-8C06-AEF5136416B9.jpeg

Edited by Deviskan

Francis Albert
23 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

It can also be about how Croatia can achieve something Scotland have never been able to dream about. In part maybe because of our parochial and rather sad obsession with England. 

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It can also be about how Croatia can achieve something Scotland have never been able to dream about. In part maybe because of our parochial and rather sad obsession with England. 

No it isn't. You might call it sad and parochial but I call it football rivalry and will continue laughing at every England defeat the same way I laugh at every Hibs defeat.

You crack on dragging the fun out of everything though. You would argue black was white.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What's England's excuse then ?

They have won as much as Scotland over the last 52 and counting years

It's coming home though

Alex Kintner
8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Or maybe the two are completely separate and pissing ourselves laughing at England doesn’t affect our national team’s performances in the slightest

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Ah you're just upset because today FA = losers :D

Interested to hear how our feelings on England affect the national team's performance though, please do expand

Francis Albert
Just now, Frank1874 said:

Or maybe the two are completely separate and pissing ourselves laughing at England doesn’t affect our national team’s performances in the slightest

Or maybe a thread about Croatia vs England can accomodate other views than pissing ourselves about England.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Or maybe a thread about Croatia vs England can accomodate other views than pissing ourselves about England.

Cool, so how exactly do our feelings about England affect the national team sweet FA?

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Of course it can, all views are welcome to be expressed given it’s an internet forum. Given it’s a Scottish football forum then most of the views expressed will be ripping the piss out of England. Not sure what point you’re trying to make.

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What's England's excuse then ?

They have won as much as Scotland over the last 52 and counting years

It's coming home though

I think i'd swap england's international record over the last 52 years over ours. In fact almost anyones!

Edited by Francis Albert

Tell us how Scotland's performance is linked to me taking the piss out of my mates who thought the whole shebang is coming home?

shaun.lawson
45 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

But you’re not upset are you, no of course not...Shaun is proud of what they have achieved

I am indeed. Very proud. :thumbsup:

There's many different kinds of people in this world. There's optimists. There's pessimists. There's light-hearted people. There's intense people. There's people who are full of love and people who are full of hate. There's angry people. There's sad people. There's unwell people. There's ambitious people. There's resentful people. There's indifferent people. There's old people. There's young people. 

All these people, and so many more, with different character traits, different personalities, of different upbringings, from different environments. Yet in your bizarre world, there's only one way anyone can feel when their team loses a football match, or when their rivals lose a football match.

It's really quite mad. Almost deranged in some respects. Like you have this desperate, frantic desire for everyone to be the same as you... when they're not. And they never will be. 

Below, a piece from Ewan Murray about attitudes to this England team among the Scottish public. Guess what? Many Scots have very different attitudes. I guess, in your world, they just can't be "true Scots", because only you get to define that apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/10/scotland-england-world-cup-rivalry

And also, a video. Of England fans at the end of the game. Celebrating the team. Strange how they're not devastated, but are proud of everything that's been accomplished, huh? I guess they're not "true Englishmen" either. :whistling:

Beautiful. :wub: 

Edited by shaun.lawson

Francis Albert

My comparison of Croatia's and Scotland's performances over the last few decades given the very comparable resources of the two nations has been met with a lot of chat about England's failings. Maybe we should focus more  on why we fail.

...a bit disco

Celebrating the team eh?

Just like Hibs after getting pumped by Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final?

That kind of celebrating?

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

My comparison of Croatia's and Scotland's performances over the last few decades given the very comparable resources of the two nations has been met with a lot of chat about England's failings. Maybe we should focus more  on why we fail.

We clearly fail because we spend too much energy mocking England’s humiliating self-destructions every two years. If we stopped doing that we’d win the next world cup.

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Celebrating the team eh?

Just like Hibs after getting pumped by Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final?

That kind of celebrating?

England won the singing though.

Start a thread then.

You still haven't explained how me taking the piss out of my mates is linked to Scotland's performance.

Unknown user

Maybe we should, why not start a thread?

Meanwhile, "In part maybe because of our parochial and rather sad obsession with England" - how does that work exactly?

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, Frank1874 said:

A fine tradition of celebrating maintained then.

:thumbsup:

58 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

What a sad sad life you lead Shaun. Desperately trawling social media sites looking for online pals to show how super super intelligent you are and such a world traveller. In reality just a sad wee man without a real life. 

24 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

No it isn't. You might call it sad and parochial but I call it football rivalry and will continue laughing at every England defeat the same way I laugh at every Hibs defeat.

You crack on dragging the fun out of everything though. You would argue black was white.

Was going to post your last sentence. He just posts against the crowd no matter the subject, seems to get a kick out of it

10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The thread is Croatia England. Away and start a new thread as you are going off topic. See others got in ahead of me

Edited by XB52

3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

What a sad sad life you lead Shaun. Desperately trawling social media sites looking for online pals to show how super super intelligent you are and such a world traveller. In reality just a sad wee man without a real life. 

Bit harsh tbf mate.

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, ...a bit disco said:

A fine tradition of celebrating maintained then.

1 minute ago, XB52 said:

AEA44320-BC3C-49B8-A8BA-DEBF0E43723F.jpeg

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Is it heretical to say they didn't?