Gary Locke Testimonial match v Stoke - July 23 ( Gorgie Club open )

icyellow69

1 hour ago, Tams bird said:

Reading a few on here. Kickback for arseholes right enough

What I don’t get is if you don’t like Lockie for whatever reason just don’t go to his testimonial and don’t comment. For those that do want to go to show appreciation for not only a long serving Hearts man but also  throughly decent guy then we’ll be doing so whether they like it or not.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elmore

• Jambo 4 Ever

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• John Findlay

31 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Wins the ‘Shittiest Post’ award hands down! 😏

That’s a bit harsh! I realise he’s a passionate Jambo and bleeds for the club, so it’s well deserved!
Was a straight forward question ie what’s the criteria for an employee to be granted a testimonial match?

On 01/07/2018 at 21:53, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Goags the kitman / Hearty Harry is more worthy of a testimonial.

Give it a rest. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Gary Locke Testimonial match at Tynecastle v Stoke - July 23

Can't think of anyone more deserving of a restimonial than Gary Locke.

I imagine it will be competitive rather than a kickabout neing pre season.

Pity if it is.  I like the ones where guys like Robbo and McCoist have a runaround for ten minutes.

Nookie Bear
16 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

That’s a bit harsh! I realise he’s a passionate Jambo and bleeds for the club, so it’s well deserved!
Was a straight forward question ie what’s the criteria for an employee to be granted a testimonial match?

Guys who stood up to do their best when others stood on the sidelines?

Geoff Kilpatrick
8 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Give it a rest. 

Not a bad effort to ask to "give it a rest" when the post you quoted is almost 4 years old! :laugh:

17 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Its normally 10 years service iirc. Lockie must be at least 25 years.

The Treasurer
18 hours ago, Rudy T said:

What I don’t get is if you don’t like Lockie for whatever reason just don’t go to his testimonial and don’t comment. For those that do want to go to show appreciation for not only a long serving Hearts man but also  throughly decent guy then we’ll be doing so whether they like it or not.

Good post. Sums it up perfectly

Percival King
31 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Its normally 10 years service iirc. Lockie must be at least 25 years.

I think it did used to be 10 continious years but I don't think some of the "rules" as to why a player got a testimonial back in the day still apply unless you go down the leagues (showed loyalty remaining at one club, didn't get signing on fee that went with moving to a new club, short career then had to start anew when retired from football and didn't get paid way more than the average fan).

Locke was dealt a bad hand when it came to injuries. One of Hearts youngest Captain and was being tipped as a future Scotland Captain before he did his knee. He was never the same player again.

29 minutes ago, Percival King said:

I think it did used to be 10 continious years but I don't think some of the "rules" as to why a player got a testimonial back in the day still apply unless you go down the leagues (showed loyalty remaining at one club, didn't get signing on fee that went with moving to a new club, short career then had to start anew when retired from football and didn't get paid way more than the average fan).

That and if injury cut a career short.

Weakened Offender

If Gary Locke was the Hearts man that I am then he would  have had a not-so-quiet word in Sergio's ear when Paulo instructed his players to stop scoring in the 2012 Scottish Cup Final. 

Not really sure a testimonial is necessary in all honesty. 

2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

If Gary Locke was the Hearts man that I am then he would  have had a not-so-quiet word in Sergio's ear when Paulo instructed his players to stop scoring in the 2012 Scottish Cup Final. 

Who’s to say he didn’t? 

The manager makes the final decision.

Weakened Offender
58 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Who’s to say he didn’t? 

Tbh, I know and like Gary. His auld boy is a great guy. Still not sure that the decision to give him a testimonial isn't a sympathy shag though. 

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Chaps said:

Who’s to say he didn’t? 

I think if you watch the final again he’s seen telling everyone to calm down and pass it about, as Sergio and Rudi did too. Shame as I was screaming for 8 at about 50 minutes, would’ve been more difficult to do the hand signals though 😜

Jambo 4 Ever

So will there be guest players playing in this or is it just a normal friendly with the money going to Garry?

Back to 2005
9 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

So will there be guest players playing in this or is it just a normal friendly with the money going to Garry?

9DB87BF7-D917-483E-BF10-3C74B917E0E1.gif

Samuel Camazzola
37 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Zidane, Figo, Chic Charnley, Kenny Anderson and Faycal Rherras all guesting. 

On 02/07/2018 at 08:10, The Real Maroonblood said:

Some interesting posts on this thread.

Just a few 🤣

can’t wait for the game and he is totally deserving of it. Hearts through and through. 

17 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Given the timing we have to be treating this is a proper pre-season match surely?

Correct. This cannot be a friendly, friendly this game has to be the dress rehearsal for our first game of the season.

hoof.hearted
On 02/07/2022 at 10:12, Weakened Offender said:

I've heard Ryan McGowan, Rudi Skacel & Gary Locke all state this was not the case & the players themselves just played cautiously along with the H15s players sitting in. 

queensferryjambo
2 hours ago, sassenach said:

I don't really understand some of the negativity on here. 

I know, it's absolutely nuts.

Why anyone would not want something good to happen for someone else is beyond me. 

Folk love to moan though. whatever makes them happy I suppose.

queensferryjambo
2 minutes ago, hoof.hearted said:

I've heard Ryan McGowan, Rudi Skacel & Gary Locke all state this was not the case & the players themselves just played cautiously along with the H15s players sitting in. 

Paulo Sergio, Gary Locke and Jamie MacDonald all said the same at the '51 Shirts' book launch night when asked about it.

The story of Paulo Sergio telling the players to stop scoring, sit back etc is a total myth. 

My thinking of where this comes from is when we scored the 5th on TV Sergio is seen giving signals to the player to be calm and not lose their heads and do anything silly............... translated over time by certain Hearts fans as stop playing ;) 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, hoof.hearted said:

Sergio admitted it in an interview with Ewan Murray that was published in The Guardian. 

Back to 2005

3 seats is the royal box (premium) purchased. Expect it’s the only time I will be in the posh seats this season.

Thought Police

Rudi just posted to his instagram that he's in training for "big game" back at Tynecastle.

loveofthegame
13 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Rudi just posted to his instagram that he's in training for "big game" back at Tynecastle.

Just saw that!!

loveofthegame

Confused though- can’t think what it would be for other than Gary Locke’s testimonial, but thought that was against a full Stoke team?! Which would make it a strange game to wheel the king of gorgie out for. 

Thought Police
2 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Confused though- can’t think what it would be for other than Gary Locke’s testimonial, but thought that was against a full Stoke team?! Which would make it a strange game to wheel the king of gorgie out for. 

That's what I was wondering too, unless there's a yet to be announced exhibition game.

loveofthegame
Just now, Thought Police said:

That's what I was wondering too, unless there's a yet to be announced exhibition game.

Aye thinking/hoping for the same. Have thought since it was announced it would be perfect for a 1998/2012 combined legends match of some sorts. 

MaskedMarauder

Surely if there was a game yet to be announced then Rudi wouldn’t be posting about it yet. Surprised we are only opening 1 stand for the Stoke game aswell if he is going to be coming back to play at some point 

On 02/07/2022 at 08:33, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Not a bad effort to ask to "give it a rest" when the post you quoted is almost 4 years old! :laugh:

No doubt the last time you seen Hearts

GL Top Man 

PapaShango
16 hours ago, rubyruby said:

Screenshot_20220705-161954_Instagram.jpg

We did say we need a new striker who knows how to score a few goals. Welcome back Rudi. 

Nessjambo67
On 30/06/2018 at 12:22, queensferryjambo said:

Who could forget?

Obviously you. Not one single thing you have said about Locke's playing career is even close to being correct.

When exactly was Locke out for a year before the 98 Cup final? Or in fact when was he out for a year ever? He had a bad injury 96 cup final but that was last game of the season and was recuperating closed season and for a few months in 96/97 in fact back playing January 97.

He hardly then came back and spoiled the cup presentation he played that season right up until 3 weeks before the final in 97/98. 

He went to Bradford in January 2001 and had played almost every game of season 2000/01 for us up until this point so not sure how he got fit - when he was fully fit and was playing every week for us prior to going to Bradford. 

Still don't let any facts get in the way of what you remember.

http://londonhearts.com/scores/players/lockegaryap.html

Superb retort bud ! As you say it’s all about the facts that’s all that matters. Not fussed either way if he gets a testimonial game after all he was a well paid professional footballer . Locke may not have been a Gary Neville or An Andy Robertson  but he knows what it is to play for HMFC give his all. He gets what it’s about being a Hearts supporter  that’s good enough for me !! 

Hardly a ticket sold for this up to now. Needs some serious marketing. 
Still undecided myself. It’s just a friendly with Gary’s name stuck in front of it. Poor effort by his committee and Hearts. Sad to see. 

jimbojambo
3 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Hardly a ticket sold for this up to now. Needs some serious marketing. 
Still undecided myself. It’s just a friendly with Gary’s name stuck in front of it. Poor effort by his committee and Hearts. Sad to see. 

Absolutely correct. I have been waiting for an email from Hearts about tickets and only found out that they are on sale through etickets. Don't forget we were a total basket case with wages not being paid and the SFA changing their rules specifically to stop Rudi signing in addition to the crazy penalties for fictional handball by Collum etc when Gary took over playing a team of kids. And GL agreed to work for half wages only to be humiliated in front of the press by publicity not being offered a new contract. And still he came back to the club he loved. Come on Jambos £12 and £6 a ticket and Rudis Return. I will be there to pay tribute to Mr Hearts 

I love how Shedro took such an absolute pasting from @queensferryjambo just over 4 years ago, that he just outright stopped posting on the forum :rofl:

Absolutely telt.

TyphoonJambo
5 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

Absolutely correct. I have been waiting for an email from Hearts about tickets and only found out that they are on sale through etickets. Don't forget we were a total basket case with wages not being paid and the SFA changing their rules specifically to stop Rudi signing in addition to the crazy penalties for fictional handball by Collum etc when Gary took over playing a team of kids. And GL agreed to work for half wages only to be humiliated in front of the press by publicity not being offered a new contract. And still he came back to the club he loved. Come on Jambos £12 and £6 a ticket and Rudis Return. I will be there to pay tribute to Mr Hearts 

Well said. The guy bleeds maroon. Cmon jambos stomp up the dosh for Lockie.

E tickets proving a bit of a nightmare so is the only option - pitch up and buy from the ticket office?

Wish Hearts would bring things like this in house and provide buyers with a bar code that can be swiped directly at the turnstiles.

tynietigers

I believe Rudi nor Gary are playing, this will be the first team that will probably start the season 👍🏻 Gary to walk teams out and Rudi for halftime 👊

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, tynietigers said:

I believe Rudi nor Gary are playing, this will be the first team that will probably start the season 👍🏻 Gary to walk teams out and Rudi for halftime 👊

That’s a bit disappointing 

8 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

That’s a bit disappointing 

It's not really as Stoke appear to be bringing their first team and we are also using it as a key part of our first team pre-season preparations.

For either Gary at 47 or Rudi at 42 to play any significant time would be a wee bit disrespectful all round.  And maybe neither of them would want to have to do the full warm up, kitted up palaver just to kick off each half and subbed by a first team player seconds later which also would be a bit disrespectful to say Devlin and Grant or whichever 2 players that be subbed on.

Instead of course, Gary's testimonial could have been played on the Sunday with an old boys Hearts XI v. a combined Kilmarnock, Bradford, Lasswade High School oldies select or whoever.

Jambo 4 Ever
5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It's not really as Stoke appear to be bringing their first team and we are also using it as a key part of our first team pre-season preparations.

For either Gary at 47 or Rudi at 42 to play any significant time would be a wee bit disrespectful all round.  And maybe neither of them would want to have to do the full warm up, kitted up palaver just to kick off each half and subbed by a first team player seconds later which also would be a bit disrespectful to say Devlin and Grant or whichever 2 players that be subbed on.

Instead of course, Gary's testimonial could have been played on the Sunday with an old boys Hearts XI v. a combined Kilmarnock, Bradford, Lasswade High School oldies select or whoever.

What’s the point in having it as a testimonial though - just so he gets the money from it?

• davemclaren changed the title to Gary Locke Testimonial match v Stoke - July 23 ( Gorgie Club open )