Record shops

Elmore

What was your favourite record shop in edinburgh and which one was your least favorite?  I mentioned Avalanche records in another thread. This was definitely mine. The guy who owned the shop was always brilliant when asking for advice about albums. My least favourite was Ripping records. Used to be great for tickets but if you went upstairs to buy a record, they would look at you like your taste was in your erse. Never felt comfy in that shop. The guy from avalanche was really into his local bands. I think I actually had the single he released by the joyriders.  I genuinely though he was the perfect guy to own a record shop. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elmore

• Morgan

• been here before

• davemclaren

Never really had an Edinburgh favourite (I loved One Up in Aberdeen more than anywhere when I was at uni up there) but I second RR as least favourite. The shite selection/rude owner meant I rarely went in. It was, as you say, handy for tickets though - and I did appreciate the blackboard with all the gig listings.

Statts1976uk

When I was at uni in the dim and distant past I used to enjoy going to the Hogshead closely followed by Sleeves in Kirkcaldy. I was never too much of a fan of Vinyl Villians though.

Салатные палочки

In Glasgow, back in the 90's for me it was Avalanche, Missing or Tower Records.  My dad used to nick in for a pint before we went for the bus on a Saturday and I would go to Tower for a look.  Got an imported Eazy E C.D in Tower, cost me £18.  Avalanche was good for cheap punk C.D's and for Fanzines.  Missing did 3 albums for a fiver or something like that.   

Forgive me if I am wrong, but was there a second hand record shop on Dalry Road?  I seem to remember getting a Sex Pistols bootleg out there once with loads of demos and interviews on it.  

Edited by Salad Fingers

3 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

In Glasgow, back in the 90's for me it was Avalanche, Missing or Tower Records.  My dad used to nick in for a pint before we went for the bus on a Saturday and I would go to Tower for a look.  Got an imported Eazy E C.D in Tower, cost me £18.  Avalanche was good for cheap punk C.D's and for Fanzines.  Missing did 3 albums for a fiver or something like that.   

Forgive me if I am wrong, but was there a second hand record shop on Dalry Road?  I seem to remember getting a Sex Pistols bootleg out there once with loads of demos and interviews on it.  

Hotwax?

21 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Never really had an Edinburgh favourite (I loved One Up in Aberdeen more than anywhere when I was at uni up there) but I second RR as least favourite. The shite selection/rude owner meant I rarely went in. It was, as you say, handy for tickets though - and I did appreciate the blackboard with all the gig listings.

Ripping records was never a welcoming place.  The guys who used to sell the stuff upstairs thought they were as cool as a kettle. 

19 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

First love was Allan’s record shop on Leven street. 

Can’t even think where on Leven Street that was?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

I used to go to avalanche, southside. The old fopp, too, before it moved across cockburn St. 

Rip-off records I rarely went to, except for tickets. 

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Can’t even think where on Leven Street that was?

Was it not that wee shop in the street at the start of the meadows?  The one parallel to leven street. 

8 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Was it not that wee shop in the street at the start of the meadows?  The one parallel to leven street. 

Brougham Place?

Brougham Place?

That's the one. The shop used tone I the left hand side coming from the meadows. It did look more like a junk shop that had some records. 

When I was really wee there was one on Lauriston Place called De ja Vu and of course Bruces on Rose Street.

Just now, Elmore said:

That's the one. The shop used tone I the left hand side coming from the meadows. It did look more like a junk shop that had some records. 

Got it!  Opposite the Illicit Still and, I think, beside or near to.a Post Office?

Just now, Ray Gin said:

Cockburn Street classics: Underground Solution and Fopp.

Yep.

I think there was also a Fopp on Rose Street opposite the back door of M & S?

Got it!  Opposite the Illicit Still and, I think, beside or near to.a Post Office?

That's the very one. I don't think it's the one the poster was talking about.  I think I vaguely remember a record shop just up from the kings theatre 

All roads lead to Gorgie

It would be Avalanche in Cockburn St although I would nip into Fopp next door to listen to anything new on the headphones first. Then back to Avalanche where CDs were a penny less. Ha ha. 

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

When I was really wee there was one on Lauriston Place called De ja Vu and of course Bruces on Rose Street.

I used to spend the first Saturday after payday exchanging a good part of my salary for the latest imports in Bruces. Happy days!

Bruces was never the same after they moved to Shandwick Place IMO.

19 minutes ago, Elmore said:

That's the very one. I don't think it's the one the poster was talking about.  I think I vaguely remember a record shop just up from the kings theatre 

Glad you said that!  We were just talking about this and we don’t think it’s the one that Batistuta was talking about either.

Saying that, I can’t ever recall a record shop on Leven Street. When you say just up from the Kings, that would have to be the block where Lupe Pintos is?

12 minutes ago, Lee_Mellon said:

I used to spend the first Saturday after payday exchanging a good part of my salary for the latest imports in Bruces. Happy days!

Bruces was never the same after they moved to Shandwick Place IMO.

Correct me if I’m wrong but, Bruces on Rose Street was up 3 or 4 wee steps wasn’t it?  Became a sort of wee cafe type place I think?

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Bruce's for me too. Must have bought all my Bowie and Roxy Music albums from there as I can't remember any others.

I do recall buying the Bowie Live at Santa Monica bootleg double LP from a wee shop in Carnaby Street in London. 

How exiting was it when you used to get hold of a bootleg album?  I think my first bootleg album was by the jam.  Couldn't believe you could get live gigs on an album.  

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Bruce's for me too. Must have bought all my Bowie and Roxy Music albums from there as I can't remember any others.

I do recall buying the Bowie Live at Santa Monica bootleg double LP from a wee shop in Carnaby Street in London. 

I used to get second hand LP’s in the Cockburn Street market and in a place on Forest Road called the Greyfriars market too.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Glad you said that!  We were just talking about this and we don’t think it’s the one that Batistuta was talking about either.

Saying that, I can’t ever recall a record shop on Leven Street. When you say just up from the Kings, that would have to be the block where Lupe Pintos is?

I think just before the pub in the corner. It was called the green room then. It was supposed to Mark E Smiths local when he was in Edinburgh. 

3 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I think just before the pub in the corner. It was called the green room then. It was supposed to Mark E Smiths local when he was in Edinburgh. 

Right. The Green Room was part of Bennets Bar and you could enter one from the other and vice versa.

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but, Bruces on Rose Street was up 3 or 4 wee steps wasn’t it?  Became a sort of wee cafe type place I think?

It was certainly up a few steps - not sure what it turned into, but I remember clear as day the red paper bags....

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

The only bootleg I ever bought. Remember feeling nervous asking for it but the bloke was sound. I was the only customer at the time. 

Probably paid well over the odds...

You’re getting confused Jonno.

That was the magazine shop you’re thinking of.  The one with the large brown paper bags.

Kids know shit nowadays.  They can watch any gig they want on line now.  When we were young they were as rare as a Hibs cup win.  In the 70's it was like buying under the counter drugs. 

You’re getting confused Jonno.

That was the magazine shop you’re thinking of.  The one with the large brown paper bags.

:laugh: I was going to use that I'm my analogy rather than drugs, but shit myself incase folk like you thought I was revealing something.  Phew!

Just now, Elmore said:

:laugh: I was going to use that I'm my analogy rather than drugs, but shit myself incase folk like you thought I was revealing something.  Phew!

:laugh:

been here before

Ripping Records was pish for anything other than tickets.

Hot Wax in Dalry. Fopp when it was at the top of Cockburn Street. Avalanche, occasionally Vinyl Villans though always found them a bit pricey for 2nd hand stuff. 

Used to fair enjoy a rummage round record fairs usually in the George Hotel or the Assembly rooms.

11 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

My mistake. I went and bought a chisel as well so that I could get out of bed the next morning....

:nojustno: 

the general

Listen and the Other Record shop were good

Golden Oldies at Haymarket was a chart return shop so got more than its fair share of picture discs.coloured vinyl.12 inchers etc

the general
25 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

My mistake. I went and bought a chisel as well so that I could get out of bed the next morning....

What was the name of the infamous Sex Pistols bootleg again? 

7 minutes ago, the general said:

What was the name of the infamous Sex Pistols bootleg again? 

:lol: 

Just know that the letters P U N K were in it.

Maybe the letter S somewhere too? :whistling: 

been here before
30 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Coda! (I think that's what it was called anyway)

Yes!!! That was the one on Cockburn Street wasnt it, not Fopp?

36 minutes ago, been here before said:

Virgin was alright when it was a long narrow dark shop on Princes Street.

I mind it when it was on Frederick st. I can remember it having lots of badges for sale as you went in. I think I bought a two tone badge from there when I was about twelve. If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have gave that quasi hippy pwick a penny. 

18 minutes ago, the general said:

Listen and the Other Record shop were good

Golden Oldies at Haymarket was a chart return shop so got more than its fair share of picture discs.coloured vinyl.12 inchers etc

Golden oldies was alright for popping in to kill some time. Now and again you'd find an old Beatles single. There was a wee shop on east cross causeway that was like golden oldies but good for albums. Last time I saw it was twenty years ago. 

crunchy frog

About 1990/91 I got friendly with Andy who ran the Avalanche on lady lawson street. He used to let me take albums home to check them out before I bought. He made a fortune out of me!

crunchy frog
Just now, been here before said:

What was the wee one next to the ABC  on Morrison Street?

Sweet inspiration 

Brighton Jambo
4 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

It would be Avalanche in Cockburn St although I would nip into Fopp next door to listen to anything new on the headphones first. Then back to Avalanche where CDs were a penny less. Ha ha. 

Amazing, I had forgotten this until you posted.  Many happy hours in both

Was it 23rd Precinct on the top floor of that shop on the corner of Castle Street. I remember a shop there where I bought all my rave shit from. Could be totally wrong and I'm thinking of some other shop