Record shops

Elmore

davemclaren
3 hours ago, Jambo Jim said:

Used to spend far too much time and money in The Other Record Shop in its original incarnation in St Mary Street. The smell of Patchouli oil still lingers to this day and although the love beads still fit the loon pants have long gone (sadly).

Those were the days. ??

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elmore

• Morgan

• been here before

• All roads lead to Gorgie

Benny Factor
4 hours ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

23rd Precinct was in Edinburgh for a while,under 031 on the bridges. Johnny (Waxman) worked in it for a bit. 

Fopp on Cockburn St ,Sounds on Prince's St and Drastik Plastik on St Mary's street , and the one that was down on Howe street (Wind Up, possibly)that's name escapes me.

Drastik Plastik was originally at the street at the top of Leith Walk, before moving to Fleshmarket Close and then onto St Mary's Street.

23rd Precinct also spent a bit of time in Cockburn Street opposite Fopp.

5 hours ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

23rd Precinct was in Edinburgh for a while,under 031 on the bridges. Johnny (Waxman) worked in it for a bit. 

Fopp on Cockburn St ,Sounds on Prince's St and Drastik Plastik on St Mary's street , and the one that was down on Howe street (Wind Up, possibly)that's name escapes me.

Sounds was the one I was thinking of earlier.

Used to go to Listen records a lot. Can't remember, where was the Other record shop ? Coda music quite a bit too. My matchday routine used to be to get off the train at Haymarket, into Ryries for a couple of pints, and maybe a bite to eat. Then on to Hotwax on Dalry for a half hours browse, followed by another couple of pints in Diggers or the Tynie Arms. If I bought anything at Hotwax they'd hang on to it for me until the game was finished.  I'd have to leg it after the game back to the shop before it shut at five. Then another pint in Ryries 'til it was time for my train back to Dunblane. Happy days.

There used to be a second hand place down near the Greyfriars Bobby pub, I think along maybe opposite Sandy Bells.This was late 70s. Was it maybe called Greyfriars Market ? Used to buy a lot of second hand stuff in there. Things like Groundhogs, Rory Gallagher and Wishbone Ash. They may also have had a few bootlegs, can't remember.

Edited by whodanny

19 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

Greyfriars market was Ezy Rider records and also sold clothes.

Bruces on Shandwick place the first self service record shop with the vinyl in the sleeves a shoplifters dream.

I can remember the excitement of Virgin opening that wee shop on Frederick Street but always went to Listen as it was better.

Just saw this post, I remember Ezy Rider now.

Nookie Bear

Just checked and pleased to see that Backbeat Records is still going. Used to pop in all the time when it was based on Candlemaker Row and rarely left without a Blues album. 

On 26/06/2018 at 18:05, been here before said:

Yes!!! That was the one on Cockburn Street wasnt it, not Fopp?

I remember Coda in Waverley market.  Used to check out there, Fopp in Cockburn street, Vinyl Villains, Avalanche, and the Virgin and HMV megastores regularly.  Remember coming home with a stack of CDs after my first full time wage, happy days!  Agree on Ripping, never understood how that place stayed in business. 

Nowadays I'm occasionally in Underground Solushun, Fopp and Mono in Glasgow. It must be such a struggle for these guys with web shops selling cheaper and labels and artists selling exclusives direct to the small percentage that still buy physical media.

davemclaren

Around 1980 Woolies in Princes Street was a great place for cheap albums that had fallen out of the charts. Also used to buy records from the second hand market on Forrest Road. Haven’t bought a record for 30 years and haven’t bought a CD in about 5. Spotify thru Sonos serves my needs now. 

Surprised nobody mentioned uberdisco on cockburn street , there was 1 opened up on st marys street at the end of the 90's cant remember the name of it though

Anyone remember the name of the record shop on Princes Street about 2 floors up above a woman's clothes shop?  Early 90s. Good for Electronic stuff I remember.

Stuart Lyon

When I worked in Lothian House in 1966/67 we used to go into Jeffrey's Audio House in Bread Street to listen to and occasionally buy records.

Jeffry's_Audio_House.png

Edited by Stuart Lyon

55 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

When I worked in Lothian House in 1966/67 we used to go into Jeffrey's Audio House in Bread Street to listen to and occasionally buy records.

Jeffry's_Audio_House.png

And if you didn't find anything in Jeffrey's, you could always try St Cuthbert's...

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Jeffry's_Audio_House.png

Think I bought the Imagine album thereafter getting my hair cut at Bob's. :whistling: 

ARDS on Great Junction Street was where my first few punk singles were bought before discovering all the proper record shops up the town. 

Nowadays it tens to be a good shopping session in Elvis Shakespeare on Leith Walk. Vinyl Villains were just that, rip off merchants whether you were buying or selling. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

ARDS on Great Junction Street was where my first few punk singles were bought before discovering all the proper record shops up the town. 

Nowadays it tens to be a good shopping session in Elvis Shakespeare on Leith Walk. Vinyl Villains were just that, rip off merchants whether you were buying or selling. 

I forgot where vinyl villains was. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Elm Row. 

Got you know. Thanks. Used to pop in there quite a bit but can't remember ever buying anything there. A wee bit like ripping records in that it wasn't a shop that I enjoyed visiting. I think was getting it mixed up with the one in the southside   Record shack ?

Edited by Elmore

On 26/06/2018 at 17:49, the general said:

Golden Oldies at Haymarket was a chart return shop so got more than its fair share of picture discs.coloured vinyl.12 inchers etc

Loved that shop.  Basically get a single of anything!

6 hours ago, jkbam said:

Anyone remember the name of the record shop on Princes Street about 2 floors up above a woman's clothes shop?  Early 90s. Good for Electronic stuff I remember.

Sounds. It was above Wrygges if I have the correct place.

Serj Tankian

Used to be a record shop in Portobello next to police station early 80's . Moved to near the trampoline centre run by an oddball and his weird assistant . 

3 hours ago, doogs1968 said:

Sounds. It was above Wrygges if I have the correct place.

It was State of Independence or something similar the main shop was called.

Urban Outfitters used to have a vinyl section but couldn't see it last time I visited.

On 26/06/2018 at 22:48, Costanza said:

Avalanche on West Nicolson Street.

When I was at Edinburgh Uni, I probably spent more time there than in the lecture theatres....

First record shop was one in Penicuik in Lambs Pend but the name escapes me.

Was it Taste?  Probably my first shop too, still got a few things i bought in their closing down sale.

scott herbertson

Bruces - bought my first ever LP there (see below -still one of the best ever)

Also there was a record exchange place in Bristo Place - upstairs with all the second hand kaftans and flares. Used to have a good selection of prog rock and folk, which was my thing at the time

journey.jpg

Edited by scott herbertson

the general

vinyl villains is still there

Assai record shop in Grindlay street is good for new vinyl and instore promo gigs

Phoenix Records and Ezy Ryder were my favourites.

Also used to go to Virgin on Fredrick Street, but I seem to remember they used to be somewhere else (Thistle Street?) back in the dim and distant past.

Punks No Deid

Remember buying a Flux of Pink Indians album and a UK Subs live album from The Other Record Shop on a rare trip into Edinburgh. Used to get my vinyl from Rainbow Records in the original Livi Centre (next to Capital frozen foods if I recall correctly) and also Sleeves in Falkirk. Flux of Pink Indians one had - pay no more than sticker on it, can't remember what the pay no more than number was tho

Edited by Punks No Deid

crunchy frog
36 minutes ago, Punks No Deid said:

Remember buying a Flux of Pink Indians album and a UK Subs live album from The Other Record Shop on a rare trip into Edinburgh. Used to get my vinyl from Rainbow Records in the original Livi Centre (next to Capital frozen foods if I recall correctly) and also Sleeves in Falkirk. Flux of Pink Indians one had - pay no more than sticker on it, can't remember what the pay no more than number was tho

If it was "Strive to Survive" by Flux it was pay no more than £3.

Still the greatest punk album of them all in my book

50 minutes ago, Punks No Deid said:

I forgot about the pay no more than stickers.  I suppose there  wasn't space for them after Tipper Gore got her way. 

17 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

If it was "Strive to Survive" by Flux it was pay no more than £3.

Still the greatest punk album of them all in my book

The greatest punk album ever is Frankenchrist by the dead kennedys.  This is a discussion for another thread. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
On 26/06/2018 at 20:07, Elmore said:

I think was the one called golden oldies at Haymarket. They used to sell cheap ex chart singles. They also used to sell ex jukebox ones with the middle bit missing. I can't remember there ever being a record shop at roseburn. 

I asked a mate who is really into collecting records and CDs and he remembered the shop in Roseburn was called Beautiful Noise. I knew I wasn't imagining it. 

Captain Canada

Avalanche in Cockburn Street was always my favourite. I'd spend a small fortune in there every time I went. 

I feel kinda sad that my own kids probably won't get that buzz of going to a record shop and finding something amazing. I know there are still record shops around but they're already digital natives and I doubt I will persuade them otherwise. 

Edited by StanLaurel

crunchy frog
11 hours ago, Elmore said:

The greatest punk album ever is Frankenchrist by the dead kennedys.  This is a discussion for another thread. 

Not the greatest but certainly up there. "Soup is good food"did and still does make me ***** angry about the way companies treat their employees. It happened to me.

On 28/06/2018 at 22:25, jkbam said:

Was it Taste?  Probably my first shop too, still got a few things i bought in their closing down sale.

Think you might be right. Did an internet search and that comes up on a  Ye' Olde Penicuik facebook page. Must have shut late 80s?

Used to like Drastik Plastik in st Mary's street, and there used to be a good one up in Dalry for Techno/Electronica that I can not remember the name of.

2nd hand records in the market in Forrest Road, moved to Cockburn Street,but selection was never quite as good, Blue Cheer, Black Cat Bones (Barbed Wire Sandwich) still have it !

• 1 year later...
On 27/06/2018 at 17:17, whodanny said:

There used to be a second hand place down near the Greyfriars Bobby pub, I think along maybe opposite Sandy Bells.This was late 70s. Was it maybe called Greyfriars Market ? Used to buy a lot of second hand stuff in there. Things like Groundhogs, Rory Gallagher and Wishbone Ash. They may also have had a few bootlegs, can't remember.

It was indeed.

Became Oddfellows bar and is now McSorleys, I think.

41 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It was indeed.

Became Oddfellows bar and is now McSorleys, I think.

Thanks Morgan. Not been along that way for a while. Used to enjoy a pint or two in Greyfriars Bobby's and Sandy Bell's when it was called The Forrest Hill bar. Those were the days of great impromptu music sessions in the bar, and I quite often arrived back at my then mother in laws house in Loanhead, pished, with a load of albums under my arm, singing some Scottish ballad I'd learned in the pub that night. To be fair she usually just laughed about it. Maybe because her daughter was every bit as pished.

Record Shak in Newington is gone now probably as the owner sadly passed away.  We lost Coda on the Mound late last year/new year this year too.  Hogs Head Music also closed a couple of years ago.

Options now reducing for those that like hunting for hard to find records and cds.

John mcCartney

interesting thread

anyone remember the record shop on Henderson Row ? in link,its the one painted blue.
very narrow it was iirc,I bought GBH`s  `leather,bristles,studs and acne` ep there....at the time,a relatively groundbreaking record
as the production on the punk/metally 6 tracker was outstanding as well.
Cant remember the place having a name tho.

https://goo.gl/maps/7nCbHVstD2eJhHQy7

44 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Thanks Morgan. Not been along that way for a while. Used to enjoy a pint or two in Greyfriars Bobby's and Sandy Bell's when it was called The Forrest Hill bar. Those were the days of great impromptu music sessions in the bar, and I quite often arrived back at my then mother in laws house in Loanhead, pished, with a load of albums under my arm, singing some Scottish ballad I'd learned in the pub that night. To be fair she usually just laughed about it. Maybe because her daughter was every bit as pished.

No bother, Danny.

We had been talking about the Hare Krishnas today and it brought to my mind this post you made, some while ago. They used to hang about Forrest Road and in Oddfellows Hall.

The music still goes on in Sandy Bells but it’s more organised nowadays.

We were in there, and Greyfriars Bobbys, in May of this year.

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

No bother, Danny.

We had been talking about the Hare Krishnas today and it brought to my mind this post you made, some while ago. They used to hang about Forrest Road and in Oddfellows Hall.

The music still goes on in Sandy Bells but it’s more organised nowadays.

We were in there, and Greyfriars Bobbys, in May of this year.

Must take a wander down that way sometime.  I remember a lot of "hippy" type clothing for sale in Greyfriars Market as well as second hand vinyl, this would be around '78 to the early 80s or there abouts.  Saw The Who at `the Odeon in Clerk street in June '79 and ended up in Sandy Bell's after for last orders. Quite a night.

Edited by whodanny

1 hour ago, John mcCartney said:

interesting thread

anyone remember the record shop on Henderson Row ? in link,its the one painted blue.
very narrow it was iirc,I bought GBH`s  `leather,bristles,studs and acne` ep there....at the time,a relatively groundbreaking record
as the production on the punk/metally 6 tracker was outstanding as well.
Cant remember the place having a name tho.

https://goo.gl/maps/7nCbHVstD2eJhHQy7

Hi John,

I think it may be Gutter Music you are thinking of, on Henderson Row.

John mcCartney

thanks Morgan,
do you know anything about its time there,what was its duration  etc....I noticed that the record Im banging on about came out in 1981......38 fecking years ago,wow !!!