• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elmore

• Morgan

• been here before

• davemclaren

28 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Sweet inspiration 

I forgot about that. I also couldn't remember vinyl villains at first. That was the big one along from the odeon.?  Its good seeing the generation gap on this thread. I remember Avalanche moving to Cockburn street but think it more of a south side shop. 

Edited by Elmore

been here before
Just now, BarneyBattles said:

Speaking of records, a Dutch mate is after this. He reckons it’s impossible to find (I haven’t looked). Any ideas?

After what?

Judge Fudge
42 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Was it 23rd Precinct on the top floor of that shop on the corner of Castle Street. I remember a shop there where I bought all my rave shit from. Could be totally wrong and I'm thinking of some other shop

23rd Precinct was downstairs in a shop at the start of south bridge opposite ripping records iirc. What was the name of the shop at the start of dalry rd that had a lot of imports and white labels around the same time?

18 minutes ago, Judge Fudge said:

23rd Precinct was downstairs in a shop at the start of south bridge opposite ripping records iirc. What was the name of the shop at the start of dalry rd that had a lot of imports and white labels around the same time?

Now you got me. I was thinking about that just yesterday. It was one of the distributors of Rez tickets too. But for the life of me I can't remember. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

What was the record shop in Cameron Toll? I bought Bizarro on cassette, there.

Woolworths Dalkeith was pretty good, too. Used to swap the clear, plastic sleeves on the latest releases, with the ones in the bargain bins. I got Fools Gold 12 inch, the day it was released for the price of a reduced Mel & Kim (or similar) 12 inch.

36 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

It was an album cover. The elementary Cyril Davies!

FC41278B-F4C6-4DDF-B510-3DC7B30FD08E.jpeg

It looks like a young Alexei Sayle. Was that his pre 'Hello John' period?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Anyone remember a record shop in Roseburn in the 80s that sold cheap singles that had dropped out the charts. I seem to remember going there sometimes on a Saturday before or after games?

12 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

What was the record shop in Cameron Toll? I bought Bizarro on cassette, there.

Woolworths Dalkeith was pretty good, too. Used to swap the clear, plastic sleeves on the latest releases, with the ones in the bargain bins. I got Fools Gold 12 inch, the day it was released for the price of a reduced Mel & Kim (or similar) 12 inch.

I remember the record shop next to dalkeith bus station. I mind groups of kids looking through the window in wonder at the first Exploited album. That shop blew my cool. The first single I ever bought was peaches by the stranglers. I bought that in HMV at st James centre.  If I had left it at that it would've been quite a cool start for an eleven year old. On the home I stopped off and bought  Ally's army. My cool lasted for about 15 bus stops. Used to love going there in the school dinnertime. 

Edited by Elmore

2 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Anyone remember a record shop in Roseburn in the 80s that sold cheap singles that had dropped out the charts. I seem to remember going there sometimes on a Saturday before or after games?

I think was the one called golden oldies at Haymarket. They used to sell cheap ex chart singles. They also used to sell ex jukebox ones with the middle bit missing. I can't remember there ever being a record shop at roseburn. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, Elmore said:

I remember the record shop next to dalkeith bus station. I mind groups of kids looking through the window in wonder at the first Exploited album. That shop blew my cool. The first single I ever bought was peaches by the stranglers. If I had left it at that it would've been quite a cool start for an eleven year old. On the home I stopped off and bought  Ally's army. My cool lasted for about 15 bus stops. Used to love going there in the school dinnertime. 

:laugh:

I remember the bus station one, too. I'll text my mate - he will remember the name. There was an army & navy surplus store next door.

There used to be a Stepping Out record shop in Dalkeith, too.

1 minute ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

:laugh:

I remember the bus station one, too. I'll text my mate - he will remember the name. There was an army & navy surplus store next door.

There used to be a Stepping Out record shop in Dalkeith, too.

I mind woolies doing cheap records.  did they also sell the ex jukebox ones with the middle taken out? 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
Just now, Elmore said:

I mind woolies doing cheap records.  did they also sell the ex jukebox ones with the middle taken out? 

That rings a bell, my older brother had  few of these. Always wondered why the middle was missing.

5 hours ago, Elmore said:

That's the one. The shop used tone I the left hand side coming from the meadows. It did look more like a junk shop that had some records. 

Back Tracks was the one on Brougham Street it sold second hand records and second hand everything else.

Allans was on Leven Street before you hit the Cameo.

Phoenix Records on the High Street and Hot licks on Cockburn Street.

Just now, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

That rings a bell, my older brother had  few of these. Always wondered why the middle was missing.

I can't remember how you got them to play. 

3 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

Back Tracks was the one on Brougham Street it sold second hand records and second hand everything else.

Allans was on Leven Street before you hit the Cameo.

Phoenix Records on the High Street and Hot licks on Cockburn Street.

I can't remember Allan's then. There is some shit 80's sounding names. Hotwax and hot licks:laugh:

All roads lead to Gorgie
23 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I think was the one called golden oldies at Haymarket. They used to sell cheap ex chart singles. They also used to sell ex jukebox ones with the middle bit missing. I can't remember there ever being a record shop at roseburn. 

I definitely remember one where the barbers is now I think in Roseburn. It might not have lasted more than a few months though. Early 80s it would be. I think I bought that Christmas song, Stop The Cavelry there. That might date it. 

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

been here before
33 minutes ago, Elmore said:

It looks like a young Alexei Sayle. Was that his pre 'Hello John' period?

When John still had his old motor?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
22 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I can't remember how you got them to play. 

Instead of just putting the record on the turntable (as you would normally), there was a wider, plastic thing you put on the turntable first, then put the record on. It basically filled bigger hole.

Edit, something like this

45-rpm-adapter.jpg?zoom=1.25&w=900

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Greyfriars market was Ezy Rider records and also sold clothes.

Bruces on Shandwick place the first self service record shop with the vinyl in the sleeves a shoplifters dream.

I can remember the excitement of Virgin opening that wee shop on Frederick Street but always went to Listen as it was better.

1 minute ago, been here before said:

When John still had his old motor?

I remember the b side of that being really funny. Same song but with him creatively swearing all through it. It was funny when you were sixteen...

3 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Instead of just putting the record on the turntable (as you would normally), there was a wider, plastic thing you put on the turntable first, then put the record on. It basically filled bigger hole.

That's the very thing. It looked like an over weight draft. 

28 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Golden Oldies was where the print shop is now.

It sold old records but also had lists of singles they could order for you and you went back to pick up.

Obviously well pre internet.

Just now, Janbo1874 said:

Golden Oldies was where the print shop is now.

It sold old records but also had lists of singles they could order for you and you went back to pick up.

Obviously well pre internet.

I can't ever remember one at roseburn 

been here before
2 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I remember the b side of that being really funny. Same song but with him creatively swearing all through it. It was funny when you were sixteen...

Ive got a nice pair of Cherry Red Docs, complete with yellow laces and stitching, that I keep in a locker at work. Every day when I put them on I think to myself "Dr Marten, Dr Marten, Dr Martin boots".

This despite the fact they're shoes and I really dont like Alexi Sayle.

4 minutes ago, been here before said:

Ive got a nice pair of Cherry Red Docs, complete with yellow laces and stitching, that I keep in a locker at work. Every day when I put them on I think to myself "Dr Marten, Dr Marten, Dr Martin boots".

This despite the fact they're shoes and I really dont like Alexi Sayle.

He was alright in small doses. Done one of the best sketches I've ever seen. In the sketch he walked up to someone and asked them  'did you go to Oxford or Cambridge?' When the guy said no, Alexei said 'well that's that sketch fecked then!' 

Edited by Elmore

davemclaren

Spences in Bonnyrigg and Paton’s in Dalkeith when I was a young lad. ?

graduated on to Bruces, The Other Record Shop and the one at Dalkeith Bus Station.

13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Spences in Bonnyrigg and Paton’s in Dalkeith when I was a young lad. ?

graduated on to Bruces, The Other Record Shop and the one at Dalkeith Bus Station.

I'm over fifty Dave and I can't remember Paton's in dalkeith. Where was it?

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I'm over fifty Dave and I can't remember Paton's in dalkeith. Where was it?

On the High Street opposite the Edinburgh Road junction. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

On the High Street opposite the Edinburgh Road junction. 

Must've been well before my time. 

I was in my teens in the 80s so shops such as Woolworths in Stockbridge, Rae MacIntosh in Queensferry Street (before they became more an musician's shop and moved to Shandwick Place), Virgin and HMV on Princes Street.  There was a shop near the Haymarket bar that I'd go to now and again - think it is a printer/copier shop now.

Fopp and Avalanche on Cockburn Street were good.  Coda in Waverley Mall sold contemporary stuff while the current shop on the mound was folk only.

Just now, davemclaren said:

Late 60s/early 70s iirc. 

Just before my time. I started going to the bus station one in 78. 

There was a record shop in the 70"s in Corstorphine. It was run by Bobby Malcolm who went on to work at Radio Forth. I can't remember the name.

I bought the 4 Bridges Suite by Nice there although they had to order it in for me.

All roads lead to Gorgie
11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I was in my teens in the 80s so shops such as Woolworths in Stockbridge, Rae MacIntosh in Queensferry Street (before they became more an musician's shop and moved to Shandwick Place), Virgin and HMV on Princes Street.  There was a shop near the Haymarket bar that I'd go to now and again - think it is a printer/copier shop now.

Fopp and Avalanche on Cockburn Street were good.  Coda in Waverley Mall sold contemporary stuff while the current shop on the mound was folk only.

I had forgotten about Coda and I did buy one or two things there. It would be at sale price though as they were a bit more expensive than similar stores like FOPP.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Used to love Fopp on Byres Rd and then also the one on Union St, both in Glasgow obviously.

It saddens me that the majority of kids won't know the joy of record stores, hunting for random albums and finding other ones you didn't know about.  My kids just shout at Alexa to play them music and i'm now at the same stage where it's all on my phone. 

3 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Used to love Fopp on Byres Rd and then also the one on Union St, both in Glasgow obviously.

It saddens me that the majority of kids won't know the joy of record stores, hunting for random albums and finding other ones you didn't know about.  My kids just shout at Alexa to play them music and i'm now at the same stage where it's all on my phone. 

Record shops were an excellent way to kill time. I'd rather have spent time in them than art galleries. 

been here before
9 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Record shops were an excellent way to kill time. I'd rather have spent time in them than art galleries. 

Back in the day with the artwork on some 7", 12" or LP covers you could argue that record shops were art galleries.

The Mighty Thor

I used to go to Bandparts at the top of Leith walk or ACE (I think it was that) in musselburgh beside the Brunton hall 

All roads lead to Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Some of the artwork on record covers was often a lot better than you would see in galleries but if you bought for what was on the cover alone you often found to your detriment the record itself was shit:laugh:

Benny Factor
2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Now you got me. I was thinking about that just yesterday. It was one of the distributors of Rez tickets too. But for the life of me I can't remember. 

Global Records

Benny Factor
3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Was it 23rd Precinct on the top floor of that shop on the corner of Castle Street. I remember a shop there where I bought all my rave shit from. Could be totally wrong and I'm thinking of some other shop

That was Sounds. At the very top floor of the State of Independence.

luckyBatistuta
8 hours ago, Morgan said:

Can’t even think where on Leven Street that was?

Sorry bud, been away playing golf all day. It is now Capital Lettings, it was a great little shop. First time I ever went in there on my own, I bought…Car Trouble, Adam and the Ants.

51CE21C1-D5C2-436A-B211-B82E96BCAE62.jpeg

C000B0A8-1545-47A0-A261-7890FF705444.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Avalanche on West Nicolson Street.

When I was at Edinburgh Uni, I probably spent more time there than in the lecture theatres....

First record shop was one in Penicuik in Lambs Pend but the name escapes me.

Rupert Pupkin

23rd Precinct was in Edinburgh for a while,under 031 on the bridges. Johnny (Waxman) worked in it for a bit. 

Fopp on Cockburn St ,Sounds on Prince's St and Drastik Plastik on St Mary's street , and the one that was down on Howe street (Wind Up, possibly)that's name escapes me.

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

Used to spend far too much time and money in The Other Record Shop in its original incarnation in St Mary Street. The smell of Patchouli oil still lingers to this day and although the love beads still fit the loon pants have long gone (sadly).

Robbo-Jambo

Memories of going into Glasgow record shop on a Saturday in late seventies, had two floors possibly called Listen or Sounds ???

Down the stairs was like Saturday Swap Shop :cornette:. Other customers would stroll about with cover picture singles and coloured vinyl ones under their jackets or jumpers

Used to do deals with them haggling on prices etc.

Remember first time buying picture cover single of All around The World or News of the World by The Jam from a guy at back of shop.

Never knew if the shop knew what was going on or just turned a blind eye because lots of customers coming through the door. :laugh: