Record shops

Elmore

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Record shop round the corner, up a wee back street from the at Leonard's police station 

East cross causeway? It was always packed with stuff but I remember it being mostly 70's rock stuff.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elmore

• Morgan

• been here before

• All roads lead to Gorgie

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

No bother, Danny.

We had been talking about the Hare Krishnas today and it brought to my mind this post you made, some while ago. They used to hang about Forrest Road and in Oddfellows Hall.

The music still goes on in Sandy Bells but it’s more organised nowadays.

We were in there, and Greyfriars Bobbys, in May of this year.

Has sandy bells lost something with it being more organised? I was never a fan of that music but I used to in there just to watch the musicianship.  Some fantastic musicians in there.  Not stuff I would go home to listen too.  I've actually organised a local gig next year with a woman who was Scottish traditional musician of the year.  Mairi Campbell.  I know her and watching someone as good as that play is a privilege.  

19 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

thanks Morgan,
do you know anything about its time there,what was its duration  etc....I noticed that the record Im banging on about came out in 1981......38 fecking years ago,wow !!!

Hi again, John,

All I know, is that it was last in the Edinburgh phone directory in 1981, and that the owner up until then, was called Andre Grimes.

Sorry I can’t help further, I’ll try to do so tomorrow.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Morgan

16 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

East cross causeway? It was always packed with stuff but I remember it being mostly 70's rock stuff.

Different shop from where @AlimOzturk is referring to.

The place you refer to is owned by a lovely wee bloke called Mr Brown, his son runs a similar sort of place down at Goldenacre.

16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The place you refer to is owned by a lovely wee bloke called Mr Brown, his son runs a similar sort of place down at Goldenacre.

Thanks.  

36 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Aii, cant remember the street name it is on. I know other one he is thinking of as well. 

Edit it is this one I am thinking if and it is on eastcross causeway street  

Screenshot_20191105-231358_Maps.jpg

Edited by AlimOzturk
Correction.

55 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

thanks Morgan,
do you know anything about its time there,what was its duration  etc....I noticed that the record Im banging on about came out in 1981......38 fecking years ago,wow !!!

Yep, Gutter Music. One of the owners was Allan Campbell who as well as managing Josef K put on gigs at Valentinos under the promoter name Psychotic Reaction.  He also started up his own label in latter days 'Irrational Records' and after the shop closed 'Supreme International'  I only remember the shop from 1980, think it closed around '82 or '83. 

The original Bruces, on Cow Wynd in Falkirk, and Phoenix records on the high street (near to where Gordons Trattoria) is where I got most of my vinyl in the late 70's and 80's. Happy days...

38 minutes ago, Hugh Phamism said:

The original Bruces, on Cow Wynd in Falkirk, and Phoenix records on the high street (near to where Gordons Trattoria) is where I got most of my vinyl in the late 70's and 80's. Happy days...

The old location of Phoenix:

DFD2FA44-262B-4018-8316-1CFC77FF0B8D.jpeg

1A395B37-0F97-4668-B359-DB4692805306.jpeg

13F993A8-5245-4EB2-8F1C-1BDD65A10556.jpeg

Edited by Morgan

15 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

thanks Morgan,

14 hours ago, Hugh Watt said:

Yep, Gutter Music. One of the owners was Allan Campbell who as well as managing Josef K put on gigs at Valentinos under the promoter name Psychotic Reaction.  He also started up his own label in latter days 'Irrational Records' and after the shop closed 'Supreme International'  I only remember the shop from 1980, think it closed around '82 or '83. 

This is the only photo I can find, showing Gutter Musics old location of 19 Henderson Row.

881A9F85-CB06-4AEC-A3AD-4D5FE7550686.jpeg

That's the one Morgan I used to pop into the shop during my lunch break when I worked in Broughton Road.

Would have been 1981.

Latterly the shop was a video rental shop and The Proclaimers used to practice in the basement when they were starting out.

3 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

That's the one Morgan I used to pop into the shop during my lunch break when I worked in Broughton Road.

Would have been 1981.

Latterly the shop was a video rental shop and The Proclaimers used to practice in the basement when they were starting out.

:thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Hugh Watt said:

Josef K is a blast from the past. 

I only owned 1 of their singles, It’s Kinda Funny. Sounded a bit Joy Division lite iirc. 

John mcCartney
9 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

Would have been 1981.

Thats not the one for me,scunnered now....
The shop Im on about is in the link below and is the blue painted front and it is fairly narrow inside ,single window.
its a clothes shop now named `Findra`...iirc it was painted black .......Put me right please

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19+Henderson+Row,+Edinburgh+EH3+5DH/@55.9605074,-3.2016976,3a,75y,180h,87.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipNqYPJ_mO5qz6GjTQKsyfXUzfjuFKrp45uMXMaJ!2e10!7i11000!8i5500!4m5!3m4!1s0x4887c794ba5634f3:0x67c186071b0ff268!8m2!3d55.9604075!4d-3.2017561

7 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

The shop Im on about is in the link below and is the blue painted front and it is fairly narrow inside ,single window.
its a clothes shop now named `Findra`...iirc it was painted black .......Put me right please

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19+Henderson+Row,+Edinburgh+EH3+5DH/@55.9605074,-3.2016976,3a,75y,180h,87.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipNqYPJ_mO5qz6GjTQKsyfXUzfjuFKrp45uMXMaJ!2e10!7i11000!8i5500!4m5!3m4!1s0x4887c794ba5634f3:0x67c186071b0ff268!8m2!3d55.9604075!4d-3.2017561

Long time passed but pretty sure it is the double bayed window shop as i can remember racks of new and used on either side.

Findra is a narrow shop and i remember a counter at the back and more space.

Posssibly they moved but kudos for buying a Gbh record but the 4 Skins were better.

13 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Hi again, John.

It has to be the same place!  Gutter Music was located at 19 Henderson Row, same address as in your link.

Gutter Music had the same two bay windows as in the picture I posted yesterday

John mcCartney

Yep,scunnered.
Ive a fixed memory in the discovery of that place and it aint the bigger shop.However I  bow to the research on it.A good history of the gaff for sure....

47 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Yep,scunnered.
Ive a fixed memory in the discovery of that place and it aint the bigger shop.However I  bow to the research on it.A good history of the gaff for sure....

:thumbsup:

On 06/11/2019 at 14:22, Les Izemore said:

Josef K is a blast from the past. 

I only owned 1 of their singles, It’s Kinda Funny. Sounded a bit Joy Division lite iirc. 

Sorry For Laughing was a good song and covered by Propaganda a few years later.

7 hours ago, Phage said:

Hot Wax was the best in town

Used to go in there every Friday and spend my wages on imports. Around about 86/87 ish. Great shop, owner behind the counter could be a bit err moody at times.

Yogi was one I dealt with mostly. Other name I remember is Eric I think. Can't remember other guy. 

1 hour ago, robbo1874 said:

Used to go in there every Friday and spend my wages on imports. Around about 86/87 ish. Great shop, owner behind the counter could be a bit err moody at times.

Yogi was one I dealt with mostly. Other name I remember is Eric I think. Can't remember other guy. 

Pretty sure the owner was bert muirhead. He had the 'eazy rider' record stall at grayfriers market. (oddfellows?) Late 70s onwards. Sold a vast spectrum of music too. Pretty sure he wrote a history of stiff records and was friend of elvis Costello. Remember hearing that elvis Costello was at a party in Bert's house which I think was in shandon. As for being moody I recall him throwing a guy out the shop (dalry) because he wanted a 50p record played.

Edited by larbertjambo

1 hour ago, robbo1874 said:

Yes, Eric Carroll. He's a distant relation of mine; second cousin or something like that. 

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 22:38, Morgan said:

Bloody hell Morgan you might live abroad but your knowledge of all things Edinburgh is superb.

Puts us all to shame tbh.

Love hearing all your chat and banter about these type of threads.  :icon14: :jjyay:

How long have lived in France if you don't mind me asking ?

Tbh I am a bit of a nosey ********. :greggy:

Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

Bloody hell Morgan you might live abroad but your knowledge of all things Edinburgh is superb.

Puts us all to shame tbh.

Love hearing all your chat and banter about these type of threads.  :icon14: :jjyay:

How long have lived in France if you don't mind me asking ?

Tbh I am a bit of a nosey ********. :greggy:

Thanks RJ.  :thumbsup:

Don't mind you asking at all.

We left Edinburgh almost 12 years ago, lived in Barcelona for 11 months, then came directly here, and have remained ever since.

10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thanks RJ.  :thumbsup:

Don't mind you asking at all.

We left Edinburgh almost 12 years ago, lived in Barcelona for 11 months, then came directly here, and have remained ever since.

Cheers M. 👍

Keep them stories coming. 😊

been here before

Right...

What was the record shop, short lived, that was at the east end of Princes Street for a while mid 80s-ish. Im.sure the logo was orange/black. It was round about where Burger King was and quite small, about the size Virgin was wjen it first opened.

I recall only ever being in there a few times but always associate it with Let My People Go Go by The Rainmakers.

55 minutes ago, been here before said:

Right...

What was the record shop, short lived, that was at the east end of Princes Street for a while mid 80s-ish. Im.sure the logo was orange/black. It was round about where Burger King was and quite small, about the size Virgin was wjen it first opened.

I recall only ever being in there a few times but always associate it with Let My People Go Go by The Rainmakers.

Only one I can think of with a logo close to what you describe was a wee shop on Thistle Street, called Go to Hell.

My wife suggested the shop called FOPP, opposite the back door of Jenner’s.

They're probably both not what you’re looking for though.  

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Right...

Think it might have been mentioned but there was a record shop on the top floor of the State of Independence building - you had to go through a clothes shop to get upstairs to it.

It closed in the 90s I think.

26 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Only one I can think of with a logo close to what you describe was a wee shop on Thistle Street, called Go to Hell.

My wife suggested the shop called FOPP, opposite the back door of Jenner’s.

They're probably both not what you’re looking for though.  

Fopp used to be in Cockburn Street, a couple of doors from Avalanche.  It moved to Rose Street in the past 15 years and is now owned by HMV, and is still there in Rose Street (I was in tonight getting Nick Cave's new album).

Edited by frankblack

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Right...

There used to be a second branch of The Other Record Shop around there