Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

alwaysthereinspirit
54 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Bread Street Store where you went to pick up your divi,(dividend check) for your store number which ours was 29612

Didn't know our family number but my Mum knew it better than our birthdays. As soon as the girl started to ask it was out off my Mums mouth. Probably still knows it.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Didn't know our family number but my Mum knew it better than our birthdays. As soon as the girl started to ask it was out off my Mums mouth. Probably still knows it.

In my time when a wee boy you were often sent to the local SCWS to get a small item, you were rehearsed with the number from a really tender  age, and it must have worked because I remember it clearly at the other end of the age scale.

Radio Ga Ga
5 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

In my time when a wee boy you were often sent to the local SCWS to get a small item, you were rehearsed with the number from a really tender  age, and it must have worked because I remember it clearly at the other end of the age scale.

Yes, agree Bob, can still remember my mothers store number 120038 and knew it from an early age. 

9 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

64F42244-5302-4DA9-AE0A-8F99707076C5.jpeg

Shame the photo is from after Leith Provident were taken over by St Cuthbert's. Russell Hunter and Una McLean had the corner of the 2nd floor corner as their flat after they were sold off. Russell kept a lot of the original fixtures from when it was the store drapers so loads of massive chests of drawers, he also had a very good collection of wine in one of the rooms. Sadly to drink it you had to sit and listen to his long rambling stories. 

I used to get my Clark's Commando shoes for primary school from the drapers and they still had the X-ray machine you put your feet in to work out if they fitted you properly. Would be banned instantly nowadays if you suggested it.

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Shame the photo is from after Leith Provident were taken over by St Cuthbert's. Russell Hunter and Una McLean had the corner of the 2nd floor corner as their flat after they were sold off. Russell kept a lot of the original fixtures from when it was the store drapers so loads of massive chests of drawers, he also had a very good collection of wine in one of the rooms. Sadly to drink it you had to sit and listen to his long rambling stories. 

I used to get my Clark's Commando shoes for primary school from the drapers and they still had the X-ray machine you put your feet in to work out if they fitted you properly. Would be banned instantly nowadays if you suggested it.

I remember getting fitted and using the x ray machine.

At one time those x ray machines were quite common, Bairds on South Clerk Street where we got some of our shoes had one.

The White Cockade
20 hours ago, bobsharp said:

At one time those x ray machines were quite common, Bairds on South Clerk Street where we got some of our shoes had one.

Yes I remember going there as well Bob 

Carl Fredrickson

Been away for a few days with no chance to check the thread. 4 pages to catch up on and what a pleasure it is. Thanks for the photos that are posted and the stories that folk have shared. 

14 hours ago, obua said:

The penny black,I chose that many a Monday morning over work.?

Been in there a few early mornings myself. One notably, was to watch a World Cup game involving Scotland. I think it was versus New Zealand?

14 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Been away for a few days with no chance to check the thread. 4 pages to catch up on and what a pleasure it is. Thanks for the photos that are posted and the stories that folk have shared. 

You been to Jamaica?  :biggrin:

:whistling:

On 23/03/2019 at 14:31, Morgan said:

595591F5-6EB6-49C8-B3AE-8DBDA542EF12.jpeg

George IV Bridge. I love how you can still see the 'ghost' of the Browns sign on the side of the building.

giv-bridge.png

I noticed the remains of a couple of old signs on buildings on West Maitland Street, when passing through during the week.  There must be quite of few of them about.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

You been to Jamaica?  :biggrin:

:whistling:

Was almost a "whoosh moment" until I saw who the poster was. I wish it was Jamaica. Down to London and my work refused to provide me with the stab vest I asked for. :(

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Now Aldi’s

A0237B06-C615-454A-899E-7E771FF88A34.jpeg

I think you are a member of the same FB page as me. I cant remember the old Gorgie Primary School but then again I didnt go to Tynie from that direction. If it wasnt for the text I would have sworn it was Dalry primary. 

Love the shellsuit top :)

2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Now Aldi’s

Nice one. I'd forgotten how close to the road it was.  The jannie's house (?), whose roof is showing over the bus, is still there.

luckyBatistuta
On 22/03/2019 at 15:36, Radio Ga Ga said:

179152A9-C97D-4E84-A5BF-8F14933FAF5B.jpeg

Bristo Place, Napier’s is still there.

On 23/03/2019 at 14:29, Morgan said:

F17F33D5-82A8-4A25-9B87-1A9CD88C85E5.jpeg

That’s on the Meadows, I think? Sure I posted that same picture, but not trawling back through.

William H. Bonney

Random I know but I'd love to see any pictures of the stirling and Wilson garage that used to be on craighouse terrace. It was demolished over 20 years ago to make way for a nursing home. 

13 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Random I know but I'd love to see any pictures of the stirling and Wilson garage that used to be on craighouse terrace. It was demolished over 20 years ago to make way for a nursing home. 

I’m quoting your post because I too have asked (a week ago)  @Maroon Sailor to be so kind as to try and find a picture for me.

I would love to see pictures of a ‘fish wifey’ that used to have her pitch on the corner of Riselaw Crescent and Comiston Road (opposite the top end of the Braidburn Park).

As an aside, we have had two flats and one house near Craighouse Terrace, and neither of us can recall the garage you refer to. 

3fingersreid
23 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Tollcross  since demolished and now a bank

5FFD7A09-2599-421A-8C3E-3CFCDBE93B0C.jpeg

Certainly looks much better then than now to me 

19 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Now Aldi’s

Lunch time was a short trip over the road to the chippy , which would be to the immediate left of the photographer . 

There was also a takeaway shop along to the right , just past Thompson’s Sports , but for the life of me I can’t remember it’s name .

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Certainly looks much better then than now to me 

Lunch time was a short trip over the road to the chippy , which would be to the immediate left of the photographer . 

There was also a takeaway shop along to the right , just past Thompson’s Sports , but for the life of me I can’t remember it’s name .

The Wee Shop?

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I’m quoting your post because I too have asked (a week ago)  @Maroon Sailor to be so kind as to try and find a picture for me.

I would love to see pictures of a ‘fish wifey’ that used to have her pitch on the corner of Riselaw Crescent and Comiston Road (opposite the top end of the Braidburn Park).

As an aside, we have had two flats and one house near Craighouse Terrace, and neither of us can recall the garage you refer to. 

I've looked for that fish wifey but still no joy

There are plenty in Newhaven but not opp top end of Braidburn Park

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I've looked for that fish wifey but still no joy

There are plenty in Newhaven but not opp top end of Braidburn Park

Much appreciated.

I couldn’t find a damn thing either.

3fingersreid
15 minutes ago, jb102 said:

The Wee Shop?

No it was further along towards where the balloon shop is 

3fingersreid
38 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

image.jpg

Big changes in that place . Used to enjoy my trip to the top of goldbergs to see the animals 

William H. Bonney
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

At the bottom of craighouse terrace. Next to the wee lane that takes you down to balcaress street.