***Summer 2018 Transfer Window Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Bull's-eye
16 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Reported in press today that Gerrard is looking at a possible offer for McGeoch. Hibs have reportedly offered him £3k a week to stay 

I can't believe that we are paying Sammon anything less than £3k per week given where he was playing when we signed him. It's an easy excuse to point to stand as the reason why we are finding it hard to compete. I suspect we are paying the thick end of £6k per week to Sammon and Martin.  That really is inexcusable 

:rofl:

You can't believe, you suspect and it's inexcusable. 

What a slaver.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• rudi must stay

• tartofmidlothian

• Bauld

26 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Reported in press today that Gerrard is looking at a possible offer for McGeoch. Hibs have reportedly offered him £3k a week to stay 

I can't believe that we are paying Sammon anything less than £3k per week given where he was playing when we signed him. It's an easy excuse to point to stand as the reason why we are finding it hard to compete. I suspect we are paying the thick end of £6k per week to Sammon and Martin.  That really is inexcusable 

I have to agree with you both Martin and Sammon were very poor signings given the money that has been blown on their wages. But hindsight is a great thing.

Edited by Deevers

Just now, Oliver Twist said:

You can't believe, you suspect and it's inexcusable. 

What a slaver.

You are modelling yourself on someone you shouldn't Olly 

OK bud. Sammon was with Derby County. Do you think he came back up here from an English Championship side who'd paid over £1M for him for less than £3k per week? Do you think Martin will be on significantly less than that? 

My point is that Hibs have offered £3k per week to a key player to stay. We are spunking double that on a guy who has spent 18 months on loan and another who played 0 mins in season just ended 

You can use the wee smiling felly all you want Olly. Reality is we have wasted a load of resource on garbage and its galling that we could have a player like McGeoch for what we are paying those two duds 

You console yourself that it's all down to the stand costs though 

Bull's-eye
1 minute ago, Spencer said:

OK bud. Sammon was with Derby County. Do you think he came back up here from an English Championship side who'd paid over £1M for him for less than £3k per week? Do you think Martin will be on significantly less than that? 

My point is that Hibs have offered £3k per week to a key player to stay. We are spunking double that on a guy who has spent 18 months on loan and another who played 0 mins in season just ended 

You can use the wee smiling felly all you want Olly. Reality is we have wasted a load of resource on garbage and its galling that we could have a player like McGeoch for what we are paying those two duds 

Modelling myself :rofl:

It's going to be a long summer for you up at all hours worrying yourself sick, keep us informed of your suspicions on here though mate, I love your ramblings.

18 minutes ago, Spencer said:

I believe we have already offered McGeouch a lot more than £3k/week and were knocked back. Blackburn will pay him £8-10k per week minimum. 

45 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Could you give us the actual figures and names so we can see for ourselves if we're doing this right?

39 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I believe we have already offered McGeouch a lot more than £3k/week and were knocked back. Blackburn will pay him £8-10k per week minimum. 

Good luck to him if he can get that dough 

My point is the difference good recruitment can make. Hibs will have paid McGeoch less for the contribution he has made this season that we have to Martin to sit on his farter for 10 months 

That is nothing to do with being curtailed by stadia redevelopment costs. That's just rank bad decision making and wasting of club resources 

15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Could you give us the actual figures and names so we can see for ourselves if we're doing this right?

Idiotic post.

For the avoidance of any doubt, you are the person I advised Olly Twist to resist trying to emulate 

1 minute ago, Spencer said:

Idiotic post.

For the avoidance of any doubt, you are the person I advised Olly Twist to resist trying to emulate 

Are you saying you don't know?

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Are you saying you don't know?

I'm not sure what you are actually asking me Albert. Take a moment to think this through before you make yourself appear even more silly 

27 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Good luck to him if he can get that dough 

My point is the difference good recruitment can make. Hibs will have paid McGeoch less for the contribution he has made this season that we have to Martin to sit on his farter for 10 months 

That is nothing to do with being curtailed by stadia redevelopment costs. That's just rank bad decision making and wasting of club resources 

If you take a close look it’s not good recruitment it’s the law of averages. Virtually every manager has as many poor signings as good ones. You just don’t hear as much about the bad ones unless it’s your club.  Even your fondness for using the wee team to illustrate is a good example. Whitaker is a good starter. Poor signing but doesnt get a mention on here. Expensive as well. Cammy Bell, Rheras, Slivka, Swanson, Stokes. As many poor signings as good ones by Lennon. Yet he is praised to the heavens. Ronny Deila at Celtic, Warburton, Caixinha at Rangers, McInnes at Aberdeen this season signed Craddock,  Arnason, Ball, Stewart, McGinn, Maynard, all fairly expensive none of them could be  considered a success. It’s a bit of a lottery just ask Mourinho. 

21 minutes ago, Spencer said:

I'm not sure what you are actually asking me Albert. Take a moment to think this through before you make yourself appear even more silly 

Look Lady Diana, it's quite simple.  I've underlined the relevant parts which I hoped to get some detail on.  I'm sure you will deal with this in a grown-up manner

What amount did he come back up for and what was Martin on?

What Hibs player is that?  How much were Thistle paying of Sammon's wages? (assuming you mean CS)

Another poster was of the opinion we offered McGeouch £5k pw and he turned it down - so what should we offer now?

If you do not know the answers folk will think you don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by JamboAl

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, Spencer said:

£3k per week... Do you think Martin will be on significantly less than that?

I've posted this once before when this topic came up and didn't get an answer. Maybe you or someone else can answer it now.

Where does the belief that Martin is a top earner come from?

His career was on a downward trajectory long before arriving at Hearts and had spent 8months without a club in 2013-14, moved to Norway for 3 seasons where he played for a team that got relegated and then a team that finished 4points above relegation. Hardly seems likely that he was on a massive wage at that point.

7 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I've posted this once before when this topic came up and didn't get an answer. Maybe you or someone else can answer it now.

His career was on a downward trajectory long before arriving at Hearts and had spent 8months without a club in 2013-14, moved to Norway for 3 seasons where he played for a team that got relegated and then a team that finished 4points above relegation. Hardly seems likely that he was on a massive wage at that point.

He managed to command a 42 month contract despite 114 career appearances at 28 years of age. He will be a decent earner I would think. Perhaps people can advise to contrary 

Sammon will be for sure 

21 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

If you take a close look it’s not good recruitment it’s the law of averages. Virtually every manager has as many poor signings as good ones. You just don’t hear as much about the bad ones unless it’s your club.  Even your fondness for using the wee team to illustrate is a good example. Whitaker is a good starter. Poor signing but doesnt get a mention on here. Expensive as well. Cammy Bell, Rheras, Slivka, Swanson, Stokes. As many poor signings as good ones by Lennon. Yet he is praised to the heavens. Ronny Deila at Celtic, Warburton, Caixinha at Rangers, McInnes at Aberdeen this season signed Craddock,  Arnason, Ball, Stewart, McGinn, Maynard, all fairly expensive none of them could be  considered a success. It’s a bit of a lottery just ask Mourinho. 

18 points tells a different story bud 

2 minutes ago, Spencer said:

He managed to command a 42 month contract despite 114 career appearances at 28 years of age. He will be a decent earner I would think. Perhaps people can advise to contrary 

Sammon will be for sure 

I'm pretty sure Martin took a lesser wage for a longer contract (I'll need to look for a link though).  I doubt he will be a top earner.  Probably closer to average than top.

Adam_the_legend
4 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Sammon will be for sure 

They were poor signings but every single club has them. You said it yourself, Sammon was at a championship club and was bought for 7 figures, reasonable pedigree but didn’t work out. 

The assumption Martin is on big money is a bit of a leap, in fact, I think it was more the length of contract than his weekly wage that sealed it. Anyway, he was clearly not CL’s signing as evidenced by various interviews CL has done stating as much and the fact he never plays.

if you’re going to criticise CL, and I know you love to, why don’t you focus on the players he’s brought in for sure. 

Saint Jambo
30 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Sammon will be for sure 

Length of contract and weekly wage aren't connected except that it is less likely that Hearts would have been willing to take a punt by giving someone with such a iffy track record a long contract if he was on a high wage.

No question he has been a total waste of money, but due to contract length. In the same way we can assume that a player signed from the English Championship is on a decent wage, it seems fair to assume that a player coming from a struggling Norwegian team is on a fairly low wage.

48 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

His basic isn’t huge. That’s why the contract length was 3.5 years. Doubt he is on more than £1,800-2,000 per week and certainly not picking up much appearance money. 

38 minutes ago, Spencer said:

There you go again with your wee team love-in! 

39 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Presume by your response you accept my post as accurate and actually agree with it. 

6 hours ago, Adam_the_legend said:

They were poor signings but every single club has them. You said it yourself, Sammon was at a championship club and was bought for 7 figures, reasonable pedigree but didn’t work out. 

The assumption Martin is on big money is a bit of a leap, in fact, I think it was more the length of contract than his weekly wage that sealed it. Anyway, he was clearly not CL’s signing as evidenced by various interviews CL has done stating as much and the fact he never plays.

if you’re going to criticise CL, and I know you love to, why don’t you focus on the players he’s brought in for sure. 

Trouble with this - blame dissenting voices approach, is that CL asked AB to ratify these deals 

Unless of course that RN and IC got deals agreed by AB without knowledge or consent of CL ? 

Bull's-eye
12 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Trouble with this - blame dissenting voices approach, is that CL asked AB to ratify these deals 

Unless of course that RN and IC got deals agreed by AB without knowledge or consent of CL ? 

That's a worry that is.

3 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

That's a worry that is.

Not at all. Why should 3rd largest club worry about finishing 6th when 4th biggest can finish 2nd 

Hearts fans and their imperious thirst for success will win the day Olly 

Bull's-eye
5 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Not at all. Why should 3rd largest club worry about finishing 6th when 4th biggest can finish 2nd 

Hearts fans and their imperious thirst for success will win the day Olly 

The club and the massive majority of the supporters don't need to worry about anything, we've got you for that.

Keep up the good work.

9 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Excellent post. 

It’s a sad fact that some signings don’t work out. 

2 hours ago, Spencer said:

You’ve become so entrenched in your views that you’re not thinking objectively anymore. 

Levein loves Martin. I mean it’s so obvious he rates him as a player! 

:rofl:  :lol:    :rofl:  :lol: 

Adam_the_legend
3 hours ago, Spencer said:

Im not sure where you’re going with that argument. Signing off on players is not the same as signing them yourself. You have to back your HC, even if you don’t entirely agree with their signings, you have to allow them the freedom to do their job, otherwise what’s the point.

1 hour ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Im not sure where you’re going with that argument. Signing off on players is not the same as signing them yourself. You have to back your HC, even if you don’t entirely agree with their signings, you have to allow them the freedom to do their job, otherwise what’s the point.

Just common sense.

5 hours ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Surely a DOF should also be mentoring and advising a rookie coach with regards to signings if he feels they are not suitable?

13 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Surely a DOF should also be mentoring and advising a rookie coach with regards to signings if he feels they are not suitable?

He'd be as well doing the job himself.  They would all effectively be the DoF's signings or as good as).

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

He'd be as well doing the job himself.  They would all effectively be the DoF's signings or as good as).

Well he is now so no more excuses other than the ones he has already aired for the coming season.

Adam_the_legend
14 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You can take a horse to water...

im sure CL made his opinion clear but if RN or IC thought a player would improve the team or play the way they wanted there’s only so much a DoF can do in that situation. If he steps in and says, no, you can’t have that player cos they’re shit then you’re just giving the HC easy excuses. “I failed because I wasn’t allowed to sign the players I wanted...etc. You have to give them that responsibility, if they screw it up, like IC, then that’s on them. 

2 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

You can take a horse to water...

im sure CL made his opinion clear but if RN or IC thought a player would improve the team or play the way they wanted there’s only so much a DoF can do in that situation. If he steps in and says, no, you can’t have that player cos they’re shit then you’re just giving the HC easy excuses. “I failed because I wasn’t allowed to sign the players I wanted...etc. You have to give them that responsibility, if they screw it up, like IC, then that’s on them. 

Ok, so as I said in my last post Cl is fulfilling both roles now as HC and DOF so he has to take full responsibilty for any success and failures we have now or do you disagree with that?

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Ok, so as I said in my last post Cl is fulfilling both roles now as HC and DOF so he has to take full responsibilty for any success and failures we have now or do you disagree with that?

I think everybody knows that.  What's your point?

Adam_the_legend
5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

100% agree. Any poor players we bring in now is completely on CL. 

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

I think everybody knows that.  What's your point?

If you need me to explain the part you have highlighted which is my point then I am not going to waste my time and yours trying to get you to understand.

2 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

100% agree. Any poor players we bring in now is completely on CL. 

Yes and I hope we don't have that scenario but that was my point, cheers.

If you need me to explain the part you have highlighted which is my point then I am not going to waste my time and yours trying to get you to understand.

I do understand but who says he will not be taking responsibility. Are you suggesting he will blame someone else if things don't work out?

Just now, JamboAl said:

I do understand but who says he will not be taking responsibility. Are you suggesting he will blame someone else if things don't work out?

No I don't think he can blame anyone else should we have another disappointing season (which hopefully we don't) however he was quick to point out that his player recruitment budget would be affected again this season due to added costs to the outstanding projects. Ok you could argue that this is just him and the club being upfront about expectations but it could also be looked upon as a means for CL to have another excuse.

I sincerely hope that the sinic in me is wrong and that we don't get the chance to find out by finishing in a better position than last season and playing better football away from home.

No I don't think he can blame anyone else should we have another disappointing season (which hopefully we don't) however he was quick to point out that his player recruitment budget would be affected again this season due to added costs to the outstanding projects. Ok you could argue that this is just him and the club being upfront about expectations but it could also be looked upon as a means for CL to have another excuse.

I sincerely hope that the sinic in me is wrong and that we don't get the chance to find out by finishing in a better position than last season and playing better football away from home.

I think he was merely stating the reality of our situation.  The outstanding projects won't be paid for out of thin air so we either accept that we must tailor our budget accordingly or go into debt again.  Is that what you want?

Adam_the_legend
Just now, JamboAl said:

I think he was merely stating the reality of our situation.  The outstanding projects won't be paid for out of thin air so we either accept that we must tailor our budget accordingly or go into debt again.  Is that what you want?

The irony is people were demanding more transparency on whether the playing budget was affected by the capital projects. CL is in a bit of a lose lose situation here. 

Just now, JamboAl said:

I notice you never highlighted the next sentence which was this.

Ok you could argue that this is just him and the club being upfront about expectations 

I am well aware that projects won't be paid for out of thin air and I do accept that we must live within our means and our current owner will not allow us to do otherwise rightly so.

But as I also said the sinic in me and any others who have doubts about Cl may think that this is ammunition for him should things not go according to plan. But having said that I really hope we have a greta season and finish higher up the league having played better especially away from home.

5 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

The irony is people were demanding more transparency on whether the playing budget was affected by the capital projects. CL is in a bit of a lose lose situation here. 

It's a good thing that the club are showing more transparency on all matters not just Capital Projects however with FOH involved at Boardroom I doubt they have a lot of choice now.

9 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I notice you never highlighted the next sentence which was this.

Ok you could argue that this is just him and the club being upfront about expectations 

I am well aware that projects won't be paid for out of thin air and I do accept that we must live within our means and our current owner will not allow us to do otherwise rightly so.

But as I also said the sinic in me and any others who have doubts about Cl may think that this is ammunition for him should things not go according to plan. But having said that I really hope we have a greta season and finish higher up the league having played better especially away from home.

The word "ammunition" says it all Davy.  You are gunning for him and have been for a while.

Whether we do well or badly is not necessarily up to him - it depends what other teams do/spend as well.  Also he could sign the best players in the world but they won't improve the team if they get injured as happened last season when we had to go for long spells without Smith-Browne, Djoum, Brandon, Mitchell Buaben etc etc.  

It's the close season, Davy.  Have a wee break and relax.

51 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Or it could be that we are being sensible by saying that money is tight so we getter better deals on players we are targeting, unlike Dempster who is telling all and sundry how big their transfer fund is.

36 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The word "ammunition" says it all Davy.  You are gunning for him and have been for a while.

Whether we do well or badly is not necessarily up to him - it depends what other teams do/spend as well.  Also he could sign the best players in the world but they won't improve the team if they get injured as happened last season when we had to go for long spells without Smith-Browne, Djoum, Brandon, Mitchell Buaben etc etc.  

It's the close season, Davy.  Have a wee break and relax.

I am quite relaxed thanks. The word ammunition was referring to CL but you obviously take it the way you see it.

I have always wanted the best for Hearts and I am not that bothered who the head coach is I just want us to perform to the level we should be at. If I don't feel they are doing the best then I will state that no matter who it is. CL just happens to be the man in charge.

There are obviously a number of factors that can influence how well we do for example who would have thought that Killie would have finished the seaon where they did with the resourses available to them.

Every team get injuries and I think part of our problem last season was lack of strength and depth within the squad we had so hopefully CL is addressing that. Obviously you can sign what appear to be good players on paper or based on previous performances but it is no guarantee that they will work that is just one of those things.

Ultimately though the buck stop with the man in charge so you might think it's not necessarily up to him but Coaches live and die by the team performances and league positions. It might not always seem fair but that's what happens in football.

So does the forum stop during the close season or is that only for those that don't agree with you? You take a wee break yourself.

Robbo Is God

Came on here to see if we are being linked with anymore signings and I have to wade through tons of absolute guff! Can you guys not set up another subject where you can argue till your hearts content and leave the summer signings page for summer signing news?!