Tonights Champions League

Morgan

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Owen Hargreaves is starting to embarrass himself now. 

Think he wanted Bayern to win!?! 

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• CJGJ

• shaun.lawson

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Spencer said:

Madrid have rode their luck to get past Juventus and Bayern

Hopefully Liverpool can take them in the final. If they win the ECL again this year it would indicate a dominance that hasn't been commensurate with their wider performance across that period. They have been absolutely abysmal domestically this year 

Mane, Firminio and Salah will have too much for them I reckon 

Hopefully someone does Ramos for good measure. Absolute wank 

Best Spanish defender since Helguera.

Nookie Bear
9 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Hopefully Liverpool can take them in the final. If they win the ECL again this year it would indicate a dominance that hasn't been commensurate with their wider performance across that period. They have been absolutely abysmal domestically this year 

Liverpool are miles off the pace as well - it’s just better than they’re used to. 

Love Ramos. A proper moaning, bullying, cheat of a centre half. Beautiful. 

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Liverpool are miles off the pace as well - it’s just better than they’re used to. 

Love Ramos. A proper moaning, bullying, cheat of a centre half. Beautiful. 

I think Real might have had their luck already this year. 

Bayern will be kicking themselves and Juventus put on a stunning display at Bernebau 

Can't see final being 0-0! 

Stephane Grappelli
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Really unsatisfactory if Madrid win the final. Playacting, histrionics, riding their luck, dubious officiating. Hope Liverpool - assuming tomorrow works out for them - take them to the cleaners.

54 minutes ago, rambothejambo said:

I could not agree any more with any of the above, some of the pathetic playacting was genuinely embarrassing. Let's hope Liverpool do the business tomorrow then finish it off in Kiev. I don't think you will get much of a price on both teams to score!

Aye, cos the Bayern players weren't flinging themselves to the ground in the box at every opportunity right enough.  Lewandowski the worst culprit.  

Stephane Grappelli
32 minutes ago, Spencer said:

You raging mate aye?

They have knocked out the much vaunted PSG, Juventus and now Bayern so must be doing something right.  Beat PSG home and away, should have won by more than 0-3 at Juve and were complacent in the second leg.  Bayern have always been a bogey team for them so they'll be happy just to be through. All this talk of some of the Madrid goals coming from mistakes but the Bayern goal last week was a howler from Navas and their first tonight was a shocker from big Sergio Ramos.

Also, what does their league form have to do with Europe?  As a club they love this competition and arguably prioritise it.  No harm in that.

Sooperstar
41 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Absolutely abysmal Real Madrid: 71 points from 34 games. +45 GD.

Saviours of European Football Liverpool: 72 points from 36 games. +43 GD.

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Wage bills and transfer spending of both tell the more accurate picture. Madrid have been pathetic for most of the season. A bunch of egos, not a proper team. And if they're the best the game has to offer, the game is in big trouble IMO.

Stephane Grappelli
2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Wage bills and transfer spending of both tell the more accurate picture. Madrid have been pathetic for most of the season. A bunch of egos, not a proper team. And if they're the best the game has to offer, the game is in big trouble IMO.

Aye, give me a team that struggled to a 0-0 draw at home to Paul Lambert's Stoke any day of the week.  That's proper fitbaw likes ken.

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Aye, give me a team that struggled to a 0-0 draw at home to Paul Lambert's Stoke any day of the week.  That's proper fitbaw likes ken.

If Real Madrid were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains. 

Mikey1874
33 minutes ago, Cade said:

One brain fart cost a place in the final.

Football is a cruel mistress at times. Fine margins!

30 minutes to score a winner

Stephane Grappelli
54 minutes ago, VALDOS said:

Gutted for Bayern and Jupp, so unlucky tonight, I would expect Madrid to go on and win the Final.

52 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Me too V.

12A8B776-20F8-4D8A-AC2E-8A5E6ADDB2CC.jpeg

Jupp was their manager when they played us in 1989.  He said Tynie was for a training ground but asked where our real stadium was. Cheeky Teuton.

Mikey1874
Just now, shaun.lawson said:

Missing an outstanding side then 

At the very least they offer something different with their attacking system

Stephane Grappelli
2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

That says more about you than it does about the Kings of European football.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

30 minutes to score a winner

Exactly!

shaun.lawson
34 minutes ago, Cade said:

One brain fart cost a place in the final.

Football is a cruel mistress at times. Fine margins!

Indeed. But I ain't gonna sit here and feel sorry for the plaything of Audi and Adidas, whose former President is a convicted tax evader and whose tyranny over German football is an ongoing disaster for the Bundesliga. 

Madrid? Bleurgh. Barca? Bleurgh. Bayern? Bleurgh. Juve? Bleurgh. Thumbs up to anyone trying to break this never-ending cartel up - but beyond that, **** modern football and **** the Champions League. 

Would love Liverpool to win CL and Arsenal to win EL.

So sorry for Bayern tonight. I really wanted them to win but that's football! 

Sooperstar
8 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

I'll make the sensible assumption from this that you don't watch Madrid on tv then. In which case it sounds like you aren't really in a position to comment on their merits for becoming European champions. 

Bindy Badgy
9 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

They were absolutely terrible at the start of the season but their form picked up when Barca were already out of sight in the league. The fact that they're behind Atletico is evidence of how disappointing their league form has been.

AlimOzturk
13 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

They were absolutely terrible at the start of the season but their form picked up when Barca were already out of sight in the league. The fact that they're behind Atletico is evidence of how disappointing their league form has been.

The league is and has always been second to europe for Madrid. 

Nookie Bear
9 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Indeed. But I ain't gonna sit here and feel sorry for the plaything of Audi and Adidas, whose former President is a convicted tax evader and whose tyranny over German football is an ongoing disaster for the Bundesliga. 

Madrid? Bleurgh. Barca? Bleurgh. Bayern? Bleurgh. Juve? Bleurgh. Thumbs up to anyone trying to break this never-ending cartel up - but beyond that, **** modern football and **** the Champions League. 

:glorious:

To be honest, Shaun, we all know the CL is a cartel, we all know the major clubs are run by a gang of criminals and fraudsters...the trick is just to watch games for the sake of watching football, and not try to over-analyse everything from a journalistic perspective.

It's s***, a European League is happening, accept it.

I may well watch the Roma v Liverpool game, hoping Roma score first, because that will be decent drama. But if Liverpool score first, 'll be switching over to Aldershot v Ebbsfleet!

30 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Madrid are a very dislikeable team and club

I'd still rather see them win it than the effing scousers

Geoff the Mince
44 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Madrid are a very dislikeable team and club

Had a soft spot for Real since i saw them play the same week as we played Athletico in the UEFA cup . But the Galacticos and more recently Ronaldo have really put me off them . Bunch of spoilt drama queens . 

Edited by Geoff the Mince

Mikey1874

I find the question of how this Real Madrid team does it interesting.

Lots of people saying they are lucky. I think to some extent the brand of Real Madrid intimates people. Maybe having Ronaldo and Zidane helps a bit there. But 'luck' has played a part before at this level before. Look closely at the last team to win 3 in a row Bayern Munich 74-76 and they certainly got away with it at least in finals. They certainly had that level of power and intimidation at the time. Perhaps more. 

But I do say Real Madrid deserve credit. They play a fairly simple attacking game. And do it relentlessly. It's the football fans in my experience generally have wanted - just attack. It's not the same complexity and even work ethic of Barcelona and Man City. But it's pretty simple and effective. 

And then there's Zidane. An enigma. He's got a group of players mixed between genuine ability, some of the best young Spanish players and still some of the galactico policy. It's said he has got the man mmanagement to bring the squad together and just get them playing. But he also takes risks. People say they are not as good as last season. I think an early season drop off was natural. And last season he got away with it in the league. As he was managing the squad for Champions League  knock out games they won a series of games with late goals having rested key players. But he also counteracts defensive weaknesses during games which you would think teams should exploit more. 

But overall I say they are better than people think mainly due to their attacking play and end quality eg 3 shots on target 2 goals last night. And a bit of magic added to their strength and status. 

Edited by Mikey1874

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

:glorious:

To be honest, Shaun, we all know the CL is a cartel, we all know the major clubs are run by a gang of criminals and fraudsters...the trick is just to watch games for the sake of watching football, and not try to over-analyse everything from a journalistic perspective.

It's s***, a European League is happening, accept it.

I may well watch the Roma v Liverpool game, hoping Roma score first, because that will be decent drama. But if Liverpool score first, 'll be switching over to Aldershot v Ebbsfleet!

By all accounts Aldershot v Ebbsfleet has the makings of a classic.

The CL has thrown up some cracking games this season - far, far better games than domestic football usually gives us. As nookie says just forget about the side show, the owners and sponsorship etc - at the end of the day it's still 22 guys trying their hearts out to win a football match.

Lots of people like to shit on the CL because it's popular. That's all.

Nookie Bear
9 minutes ago, Homme said:

The CL has thrown up some cracking games this season - far, far better games than domestic football usually gives us. As nookie says just forget about the side show, the owners and sponsorship etc - at the end of the day it's still 22 guys trying their hearts out to win a football match.

Lots of people like to shit on the CL because it's popular. That's all.

The excitement has all come in the knockout stages, of course.

The CL is a rich man's playground, and is the prize money is ruining domestic leagues, but i still enjoy watching a decent game of football - whether it's Real v Bayern or ICT v Ross County - and i am not going to boycott my viewing just to make a point. On the flip side, had i not received CL and EPL football as a side effect of having Virgin XL for yars, i would not actively pay more for it.

I fancy Liverpool to get a couple goals tonight, leaving Roma no chance. Then Liverpool to win the final marginally.

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

The excitement has all come in the knockout stages, of course.

The CL is a rich man's playground, and is the prize money is ruining domestic leagues, but i still enjoy watching a decent game of football - whether it's Real v Bayern or ICT v Ross County - and i am not going to boycott my viewing just to make a point. On the flip side, had i not received CL and EPL football as a side effect of having Virgin XL for yars, i would not actively pay more for it.

Unless it's your team in it or a team in your country playing in it/getting horsed in it. 

5 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

To the Madrid fans......

me cago en tu puta madre! 

You dinnae like them then Des?

:lol:

ZanderMIM
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Wouldn’t fancy being a Liverpool fan in Rome tonight.

Wouldn’t be surprised if juventus travelled to Rome to have a pop as well

Just now, ZanderMIM said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if juventus travelled to Rome to have a pop as well

Long way for ‘a pop’ but a distinct possibility.

Stephane Grappelli
31 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

To the Madrid fans......

me cago en tu puta madre! 

De cual equipo eres?

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Wouldn’t fancy being a Liverpool fan in Rome tonight.

Big time away game?

Cracking city.

Thousands of your mates with you.

Home fans buzzing around on Vespas.

Police looking nervous.

Ultras being dicks.

This is what it's all about!!

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Big time away game?

Cracking city.

Thousands of your mates with you.

Home fans buzzing around on Vespas.