Can I Support an EPL team?

Beast Boy

58 minutes ago, michael_bolton said:

There's not really. People from Glasgow don't care so much. Look at any Glasgow club forum, they'll spend nowhere near as much time referencing people from Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Dundee etc as people from those cities do going on about 'weegies'. This forum has it all the time.

The accent wouldn't really raise any eyebrows.

Is it because huge numbers of OF fans are not from Glasgow so they don't appreciate the rivalry?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brighton Jambo

My whole life i have supported Brighton and Hearts equally.  I could never choose between them, it would be like choosing between my kids.  Both have had huge ups and downs and every weekend I have double the chance of huge disappointment or happiness.  Or more often one wins and the happiness is tainted by the other losing.  i often wonder what would happen if we ever play each other.   

5 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

West Ham have always been my "other team" but if it came to a match between Hearts and West Ham I would want Hearts to win.

So in my mind you can't actually be an actual supporter if you'd choose for a team to lose a match

Er .. I’m with you on Hmfc vs Whufc - a fixture I’ve dreamt of for 35 years - but in what sense can you or I not ‘support’ West Ham when living in England? Surely by going to see them, we are supporting them?

btw I remember wanting whufc to lose against Everton when Macari was manager, along with half the crowd at Upton Park, so he’d be gone

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Too far?

Okay then, i would put Mumford & Sons somewhere around Aberdeen - stuck in the past with fans who are *****

(Only kidding BurnieHearts !)

Nah, you're ok little lion man ( I really ****ed it up this time is the chorus from said  M&S song....) I was going for clever/ funny.

It's a wee TUNE as well.:thumb:

Blackford Hearts
12 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

It’s a funny thing, this supporting. I haven’t lived in Edinburgh since 1980 (38 years) so more than half my life.

In that time I attended a lot of Aberdeen games one year (the year they won the league under Fergie) with my flat mates at College (I was doing a post grad). We all” cheered” as they stuffed Rangers and Celtic and won the league. But I didn’t sing any of their songs, wear a scarf or even have a season ticket (I got down to Edinburgh or for away Hearts  games when I could).

i then moved to Dundee for three years during which time United won the league and had some great European runs. They were a special team with some fantastic players to watch (Milne, Hegarty, Narey and Sturrock for starters). Again I cheered them on as won the league (particularly the Celtic game) though I wasn’t at the decider v Dundee I was in Edinburgh watching a Hearts game. I would say at the European games I “supported” them more as they were the Scottish team, and I even went to the Man united away game - a draw - but that was because my brother was pretending to study at uni there

lastly I came down to London and got dragged along to first Wimbledon games (with my best mate/ flatmate) then Spurs games with another mate. Can’t say I felt like a supporter at all tho I enjoyed the Wimbledon banter, Vinnie Jones and Michael Hughes. At Spurs there was Ginola and Klinsmann to admire but I never felt like a supporter.

then I went to a fair few Kingstonian games , taking my young kids along. I got them scarves and even sang along to a few of their songs (they have a belter which even contains a line about how their pedestrian precinct is superior to anyone else’s). They were my local team and were about as close as I have ever got to “supporting” another team.

thinking about it I felt more comfortable with Kingstonian as 1.you couldn’t be thought of a s a glory hunter 2 they were local (and I had a relationship to them at work as I handled a lot of the councils business with them as they leased the ground from us) 3. They had a bar that sold beer at half time - I missed a lot of second half action.... but most importantly

4.supporting them and Hearts together was possible because there was no conflict of interest - all the fans there who I knew knew of me as a Hearts supporter so my allegiances were never I doubt. I was never ever more interested inthe Ks result than Hearts.

Any chance you could move back to Edinburgh so we can win the league?

scott herbertson
3 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

Any chance you could move back to Edinburgh so we can win the league?

Lol -I’m afraid all the years before I left suggest I’m not really a talisman (also Wimbledon and Kingstonian both lost their grounds so you could blame me for that)

Ill make sure when I’m dead what’s left of me is transported back if that helps....

Blackford Hearts
7 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Lol -I’m afraid all the years before I left suggest I’m not really a talisman (also Wimbledon and Kingstonian both lost their grounds so you could blame me for that)

Ill make sure when I’m dead what’s left of me is transported back if that helps....

If thats what it takes we will gratefully accept. If you've any cash could you leave that to Hearts for a striker who scores like Robbo ?

27 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Nah, you're ok little lion man ( I really ****ed it up this time is the chorus from said  M&S song....) I was going for clever/ funny.

It's a wee TUNE as well.:thumb:

Oh man, sorry I ruined it for you 

i never get past the intro b

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Will do.

Luton Town you say?

How did that one come about then?

:wink:

He’s over-egged the pudding a wee bit tbh. :D

Irs not that funny unless you were there. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Reading your earlier post  I realised that your history is similar to mine. I moved from  Edinburgh in 1978,  have lived away  for longer than at 'home',  raised a family and I'm now settled in Ayrshire.

I'm still a season ticket holder but watch Ayr United when games don't clash.

Both of my children are Jambos of course, so are my grandchildren but they don't know that yet.

scott herbertson
6 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Reading your earlier post  I realised that your history is similar to mine. I moved from  Edinburgh in 1978,  have lived away  for longer than at 'home',  raised a family and I'm now settled in Ayrshire.

I'm still a season ticket holder but watch Ayr United when games don't clash.

Both of my children are Jambos of course, so are my grandchildren but they don't know that yet.

Its in the blood sometimes. I’ve got two children too. Taken them both a few times but it’s my 16 year old daughter who is surprisingly in to it. She’s moving school up to Aberfeldy in August to do her Highers up here so another jambo ST could be in the offing

21 hours ago, Ryder said:

This is closest to what Imntalking about...

What justifies the ownership step? When do they become ‘we’ instead of ‘they’?

You can only have one ‘we’.

If you want an EPL team to be ‘we’ Hearts will have to become ‘they’.  And, let’s face it, that’s not going to happen, is it?

Konrad von Carstein

Have a work colleague (good guy, like him a lot) who grew up in East Lothian, is massively into Chelsea, and to give him his due, he chose them, for whatever reason, when they were utter crap. Chelsea TV subscription, has been to a couple of games, but I still can't get it when he talks about "us" and "we" and then espouses the youth policy and the signings, new stadium etc etc

It all seems so forced and over egged...

He's been to Tynecastle with me and has said that the day out is something he (obviously) misses out on...he'd go up in my estimation if he went occasionally to Tynecastle or (heaven forbid) ER once in a while but sadly, that seems beneath him.

Psychedelicropcircle
23 hours ago, Ryder said:

Do I just choose one at random? 

When can I refer to that team as ‘us’ or ‘we’?

Cheers.

No but you can participate in some football tourism...mind yer selfie sticks!

William H. Bonney

If you're from Edinburgh and you support hearts then why the **** are you cheering on a English team. 

Wankish behaviour. 

First foreign shirt was Real Sociedad only because my wee pal was forcibly strapped to a bus in the early 80's by his ma and driven 3 days south to Estartit on a fags and booze run. He was ably armed with my months pocket money, sum total of £4 and briefed to get me 'something spanish' came back with a Real Sociedad shirt. I strutted round Dalkeith for months like CR7 does at the Santiago Bernabeau. Still look out for their results, mid table in la liga......... no bad

michael_bolton
4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Is it because huge numbers of OF fans are not from Glasgow so they don't appreciate the rivalry?

Not really. The 'rivalry' between the cities just isn't that big a deal in Glasgow.

Like I said, think of the number of times people slag off Glasgow on here. Look at boards for other clubs from the east and it's pretty similar.

Yet if you look at boards of clubs from Glasgow and the west, you'll find these other cities are barely mentioned. It's very one-way.

Even socially, I've found people from the east talk about Glasgow a lot. People from Glasgow don't care, generally.

Fly the Saltire

Never had any loyalty to any EPL club but had a soft spot for any club that had former Hearts player or had the most Scots in their line up but that's impossible now given the obscene money.  I doubt if any  Premier League club has a majority of English players in the first team squad far less any Scots.

14 minutes ago, michael_bolton said:

Not really. The 'rivalry' between the cities just isn't that big a deal in Glasgow.

Like I said, think of the number of times people slag off Glasgow on here. Look at boards for other clubs from the east and it's pretty similar.

Yet if you look at boards of clubs from Glasgow and the west, you'll find these other cities are barely mentioned. It's very one-way.

Even socially, I've found people from the east talk about Glasgow a lot. People from Glasgow don't care, generally.

Is it because most Weegies spend their time droning on about how pure dead brilliant Glasgow is?

Fly the Saltire
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Is it because most Weegies spend their time droning on about how pure dead brilliant Glasgow is?

In my experience, football apart, Glasgow is much better for banter, pubs and music venues.   Partick Thistle fans are great to speak to and while I have met many decent Rangers and Celtic fans in my visits West, a huge number are arrogant bigots.

26 minutes ago, michael_bolton said:

That’s twice you’ve come out with that pish. You are wrong. Cheers. :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, Fly the Saltire said:

In my experience, football apart, Glasgow is much better for banter, pubs and music venues.   Partick Thistle fans are great to speak to and while I have met many decent Rangers and Celtic fans in my visits West, a huge number are arrogant bigots.

“Banter”

:getout:

Hi, I’m a weegie. It is my god given duty to ‘entertain’ everyone in the room using my nasal voice and shit jokes. 

PS: Edinbruh is pure dead posh.

:facepalm:

Konrad von Carstein
29 minutes ago, Ryder said:

That’s twice you’ve come out with that pish. You are wrong. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Now, you do post some guff*, however, this, in relation to that poster, is gold...

*entertaining guff

6 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Now, you do post some guff*, however, this, in relation to that poster, is gold...

*entertaining guff

It’s true though... unsure if you are agreeing with me or not. :lol:

Konrad von Carstein
4 minutes ago, Ryder said:

It’s true though... unsure if you are agreeing with me or not. :lol:

I'm agreeing with you....the gentleman in question is a tedious dullard...you however, post some tosh, which can, on occasion, be quite entertaining... :lol:

1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I'm agreeing with you....the gentleman in question is a tedious dullard...you however, post some tosh, which can, on occasion, be quite entertaining... :lol:

:lol:

Thanks... I think...

3 hours ago, Ryder said:

He’s over-egged the pudding a wee bit tbh. :D

Irs not that funny unless you were there. :thumbsup:

Which was 4 hrs later than anticipated because you landed at the wrong Airport. Luton to be exact.

???

Suppose u can like an epl club and want them to do well just like u can worship a club, and will do, even after they put u 6ft under 

its like being married to your life partner whom u adore but in the early years having a few skitters under the covers with someone u may remember but isn't part of ur thoughts and life every day 

thats how how I look at it anyway 

13 hours ago, Taffin said:

You can do what you want I guess.

Most people aren't creepily obsessed with what others do.

Indeedy :thumbsup: 

Stephen Muddie

I forbid it.

For you carry the stench of death upon which the disgusting disease feeds.

Repent.

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Nah, it's because folk in Glasgow hate each other.

There's a big divide, about something.

Half the city want to live in Dublin the other half in Belfast or Stoke.

Not many of them actually care about Glasgow!

Stephane Grappelli
On 22/02/2018 at 22:04, Ryder said:

Do I just choose one at random? 

When can I refer to that team as ‘us’ or ‘we’?

Cheers.

Please do.  Especially if it means that you have to leave this forum.

3 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Please do.  Especially if it means that you have to leave this forum.

:rofl:

I have a soft stop for Chelsea , love my chelsea pyjamas, think it goes back to my childhood.

My first football top and shorts were chelsea, But not the same love i have for Hearts.

MacDonald Jardine
28 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

You really have no idea do you?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Well that's me told ?

If only.

If you're debating that there's not a divide in Glasgow, I'm out.

My other point was tongue in cheek, I don't think everyone does want to live somewhere else.

michael_bolton
54 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Complete misunderstanding of how it works.

Old Firm fans in Glasgow are much more likely to have fans of the other old firm club as mates than OF fans from elsewhere. They live in the same areas, work in the same areas, play fives together etc.

I know plenty of OF fans from Glasgow who are rather bemused by the level of tribalism they see from 'outsiders'.

11 hours ago, michael_bolton said:

Knew an older weegie who used to live in Lewisham and he hated "Edinburgh punters" with a passion.

He got in a fight with a load of his weegie mates in an Edinburgh pool hall back in the 70s.

Up before the beak the next morning they were told a bus awaited them outside and to "get back down that M4 to Glasgow and never come back to Edinburgh" or he'd make sure they spent time at her majesty's pleasure.

A man of superior vision obviously.

He could never get his head around the fact I was Hearts , coming from NI I should have been Celtic or Rangers apparently.

Needless to say I took great pleasure in extolling the virtues of the great capital of Scotland on many occasions.

Had him in a weegie fury everytime.

michael_bolton
1 minute ago, glynnlondon said:

Knew an older weegie who used to live in Lewisham and he hated "Edinburgh punters" with a passion.

He got in a fight with a load of his weegie mates in an Edinburgh pool hall back in the 70s.

Up before the beak the next morning they were told a bus awaited them outside and to "get back down that M4 to Glasgow and never come back to Edinburgh" or he'd make sure they spent time at her majesty's pleasure.

A man of superior vision obviously.

He could never get his head around the fact I was Hearts , coming from NI I should have been Celtic or Rangers apparently.

Needless to say I took great pleasure in extolling the virtues of the great capital of Scotland on many occasions.

Had him in a weegie fury everytime.

I'm sure there are one or two, yes. But in general nobody cares.

Go and have a look at a Celtic, Rangers, Partick Thistle, or Clyde forum. Or Kilmarnock, or Motherwell, or Airdrie. See how long you have to scroll back for to find any mention of Edinburgh in any kind of demeaning way. Nobody is interested.

Yet on here it's constant. Huge chip on the shoulder.

1 minute ago, michael_bolton said:

Complete misunderstanding of how it works.

Old Firm fans in Glasgow are much more likely to have fans of the other old firm club as mates than OF fans from elsewhere. They live in the same areas, work in the same areas, play fives together etc.

I know plenty of OF fans from Glasgow who are rather bemused by the level of tribalism they see from 'outsiders'.

Meh. Glaswegians have a pretty sizeable chip on their shoulders towards Edinburgh. If you can’t see that, then that’s fine. There is a perfectly healthy rivalry there from the majority on both sides. It’s usually fairly friendly though.

12 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

First foreign shirt was Real Sociedad only because my wee pal was forcibly strapped to a bus in the early 80's by his ma and driven 3 days south to Estartit on a fags and booze run. He was ably armed with my months pocket money, sum total of £4 and briefed to get me 'something spanish' came back with a Real Sociedad shirt. I strutted round Dalkeith for months like CR7 does at the Santiago Bernabeau. Still look out for their results, mid table in la liga......... no bad

Lucky you didn't end up with one of these.

Straw+Donkey.jpg

Archived