Can I Support an EPL team?

Beast Boy

You should support West Ham mate. It makes being a Jambo a lot easier. West Ham ARE a ******* shambles :raging:

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always look out for Liverpool results but I would never refer to them as we or us. The only club that truly matter to Mr is Hearts. 

Bazzas right boot

Arsenal as a young lad.

Always liked Roma when younger as well.

Wouldn't call either of them us tho.

If you go or went to the games and have feelings for a club, I reckon you can call them us.

Strange how some in fort William can refer to the likes of man utd as us tho and go about wearing the clobber.

Each to their own.

Hearts & Scotland 

That's it for me.

Not enough space in my Heart for anyone else and I find the EPL a bit plastic tbh

Shooter McGavin

Funny how the vast majority of people I know who claim to support an English team, support EPL teams & even at that they all support teams that have won the premier league in the last 15 years but that’s nothing to do with glory hunting at all........................

I seen a kid wearing a Leicester city top about a year ago, I found that very amusing.

Jambo, Goodbye

My Grandad and his immediate family were all from Merseyside so ever since I can remember, I've been looking out for all things Liverpool. Was a dream when we were paired up with them in the Europa. 

Still celebrated Temp's goal from the away end at Anfield more than any other goal in my entire life mind.

Hearts first, Liverpool second, Scotland third if I can muster the interest. 

Some of us simply have more love to share, that's how we manage having two teams... :) 

michael_bolton
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

No, no you can’t.

We went to Monaco games as season ticket holders for four years and it felt like shit. No way would I put any scarf around my neck that wasn’t a Hearts one. No way did I ever get remotely ‘bothered’ whether they won or lost.

Taking an interest, as you say, is completely different from ‘supporting’.

Your point is a good one.

Similar experience in Poland. Spent years watching Zawisza Bydgoszcz, but their success or otherwise never really bothered me. I just enjoyed going to the games.

Nowadays I go to watch FC Seoul and feel the same way. Not in the slightest bit bothered how they do, but going to a game is going to a game. There is a foreign FC Seoul supporters club that meets up and goes to games together. They get right into it and try to out-support the locals. I find it quite sad. They just strike me as appalling try-hards.

michael_bolton
57 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Funny how the vast majority of people I know who claim to support an English team, support EPL teams & even at that they all support teams that have won the premier league in the last 15 years but that’s nothing to do with glory hunting at all........................

I seen a kid wearing a Leicester city top about a year ago, I found that very amusing.

Yeah, these guys never seem to have some family reason to take a keen interest in Tranmere...

It's the same here in Asia. The continent is packed with EPL Fanbois. It's quite common for them to change team if another team becomes more successful. For example, shifting from Chelsea to Man City, or Man Utd to Man City. But even after shifting they go on about being 'die-hards', even though they were a 'die-hard' supporter of another club last season.

A common reason for shifting is 'I like the way they play'. There's always keen to emphasise that they are not glory hunters. But they are. Modern football is pish.

4 hours ago, assessor said:

Was at a New York Red Bulls game and come across a guy wearing a kilt, turned out to be a yank and after a discussion on why he was wearing a kilt, he was just trying to be different, he rattled off all the teams he supported, Chelsea, Celtic, Barcelona, who were all their county's champions at the time.

Way of the world that people want to say they follow a successful team and randomly select on current successes.

Got a similar mate over here who all he supported was Lebron James, no matter what team he was with - weird behavior.

I do still follow Callum Paterson, just out of interest for the lad and to be honest, I hope he does well as it will benefit the only team worth supporting and that The Glorious Heart Of Midlothian.

Globalisation and the Internet are speeding this along. Clubs are only too keen to cash in on it and I am sure we would do if we had a fan base in far-flung corners of the world. I really don't have a problem with people having a soft spot for an English club. Growing up in the 70s and 80s as I did, everybody had an English team so it is hardly new. Referring to them as "we" or "us" though is cringe-worthy. Mind you, I can't understand people who don't even support their local team and there are plenty of people like that in Scotland.    

scott herbertson

It’s a funny thing, this supporting. I haven’t lived in Edinburgh since 1980 (38 years) so more than half my life.

In that time I attended a lot of Aberdeen games one year (the year they won the league under Fergie) with my flat mates at College (I was doing a post grad). We all” cheered” as they stuffed Rangers and Celtic and won the league. But I didn’t sing any of their songs, wear a scarf or even have a season ticket (I got down to Edinburgh or for away Hearts  games when I could).

i then moved to Dundee for three years during which time United won the league and had some great European runs. They were a special team with some fantastic players to watch (Milne, Hegarty, Narey and Sturrock for starters). Again I cheered them on as won the league (particularly the Celtic game) though I wasn’t at the decider v Dundee I was in Edinburgh watching a Hearts game. I would say at the European games I “supported” them more as they were the Scottish team, and I even went to the Man united away game - a draw - but that was because my brother was pretending to study at uni there

lastly I came down to London and got dragged along to first Wimbledon games (with my best mate/ flatmate) then Spurs games with another mate. Can’t say I felt like a supporter at all tho I enjoyed the Wimbledon banter, Vinnie Jones and Michael Hughes. At Spurs there was Ginola and Klinsmann to admire but I never felt like a supporter.

then I went to a fair few Kingstonian games , taking my young kids along. I got them scarves and even sang along to a few of their songs (they have a belter which even contains a line about how their pedestrian precinct is superior to anyone else’s). They were my local team and were about as close as I have ever got to “supporting” another team.

thinking about it I felt more comfortable with Kingstonian as 1.you couldn’t be thought of a s a glory hunter 2 they were local (and I had a relationship to them at work as I handled a lot of the councils business with them as they leased the ground from us) 3. They had a bar that sold beer at half time - I missed a lot of second half action.... but most importantly

4.supporting them and Hearts together was possible because there was no conflict of interest - all the fans there who I knew knew of me as a Hearts supporter so my allegiances were never I doubt. I was never ever more interested inthe Ks result than Hearts.

Konrad von Carstein

Leeds Utd, if you could talk to 7 yo me we and us would be interchangeable with Hearts and Leeds. Fast forward 16 or so years and a trip to the Camp Nou and a liking of Barca was born

Present day...we and us are only used when referring to Hearts.

Nowaday I take an interest in the other two but results, good or bad have zero effect on my day.

8 hours ago, Ryder said:

See, that’s kinda understandable... taking an interest in a team from another league. I did that with Inter Milan and Newcastle.

Question is though... can I claim to be a supporter? 

No, I loved Italian football, grew up watching it on channel 4 and took a huge interest in it. Went out with an Italian bursd for over 4 years and Juve became the team that I followed, ended  up moderating a Juve forum, had loads of tops etc.... Still class myself as a Juve follower 

I only support Heart of Midlothian, pay into the foundation and buy a season ticket. 

Though it is easy to see how folk get confused, the majority of TheRangers and Celtic "fans" never set foot inside their stadiums, never pay to see their team play, they simply "but tha toap" every year and are the first to be over social media whenever "they" win.

12 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Ridiculous thread.

Ryder supports Luton Town. I know this for a fact.

:D

Anyone in the market for an English team should be looking at Wolves just now imo. Rich as **** but still in the championship so it's not glory hunting.

I used to support Man City, but weirdly I got bored of them after the billionaires came in. There’s nothing satisfying in watching a team buy success and I seriously can’t be arsed with English football now. My only teams now are Hearts and Penicuik Athletic

8 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Quite. 

40 somethings - Liverpool

30 somethings - Man United and Arsenal

20 somethings - Man City and Chelsea

Go figure.

Theres a severe lack of Stoke and West Brom “fans” in Scotland. I really feel for those types of clubs.

10 hours ago, Ryder said:

Do I? 

Please explain...

Oh good grief!

I see where you (and others) have picked me up wrong.  Just reveals the negative thought processes of JKB and also, of course, my somewhat ambiguous post.

I meant that you don't need any more trouble than you get supporting Hearts!!!  I apply the same to myself!  One love is enough!!!

Hope that explains!

10 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Harsh, Colin.

Mothy loves Hearts, it's Hearts fans he has a problem with. 

See reply to Mothy above!

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think if you choose to have a team from another league then it should be for a reason other than glory hunting.

I chose Arsenal at an early age having met some young Gooners whilst on holiday in Cornwall not because they won the odd trophy back then. 

I have a family connection with Newcastle as well so I should take an interest in them but if you think following Hearts is a bit of a roller coaster that would be a whole new level of grief!

A supporter "supports" by going to games, paying cash into the club, supporting the team with your voice at games to spur then on, etc. 

Otherwise you're just a fan eh?

First love is Hearts of Midlothian

Second love is my family

Third is Newcastle United

Fourth is Mumford and sons

No doubt this will unsettle some but you can’t help who you fall in love with ??

All roads lead to Gorgie
21 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Quite. 

Go figure.

Theres a severe lack of Stoke and West Brom “fans” in Scotland. I really feel for those types of clubs.

It makes you wonder if there are still a few Blackburn Rovers and brand new Leicester shirts stuck at the back of a few cupboards north of the border! 

You are right about the age thing although most of my mates who are through the big five o followed Liverpool and Man U because of the Scottish players there at the time. That is what they say anyway but it was glory hunting really!

3 minutes ago, BurnieHearts said:

First love is Hearts of Midlothian

Second love is my family

Third is Newcastle United

Fourth is Mumford and sons

No doubt this will unsettle some but you can’t help who you fall in love with ??

I would genuinely put hibs above Mumford and Sons...but i won't judge !!

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Anyone in the market for an English team should be looking at Wolves just now imo. Rich as **** but still in the championship so it's not glory hunting.

lol, get in early so in 3 years you can say I've always liked them since eh steve bull and Colin Cameron!

I like your thinking

When I was at uni in Glasgow, a flat mate of mine was from London and supported Chelsea.  

I went down there one Christmas and we went to Stamford Bridge, stood in the Shed End, and saw Oxford Utd pap the Blues out of the FA Cup at the 3rd round stage, 3:1.

The days of Kerry Dixon, Dennis Wise, a young lad called Le Saux who was "special" according to my friend, Erland Johnson at the back.  Durie (!), Clarke, Tony Dorigo.  

Next year I took him to Parkhead to watch the Famous bounce the Tims on their home patch (Crabbe, Millar).

Anyway, always keep an eye on the Chelsea score, loved it than when we pumped the Hibs, they won the CL (Tommy Walker day :wink: ) but I would say recently my interest in football elsewhere has wained somewhat.  Used to watch MotD regularly, but now can't be ersed.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

nah, you really ****ed it up this  time..

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I would put the Proclaimers singing Sunshine on Leith above Mumford and Sons.

Not really :)

21 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Oh good grief!

I see where you (and others) have picked me up wrong.  Just reveals the negative thought processes of JKB and also, of course, my somewhat ambiguous post.

I meant that you don't need any more trouble than you get supporting Hearts!!!  I apply the same to myself!  One love is enough!!!

Hope that explains!

I don't think there was any need for a reply Colin. It's quite obvious what you meant.

With Hearts and Luton Town, it's obvious Ryder couldn't cope with another teams forum. Not enough hours in the day.

17 minutes ago, eddiepolio said:

A supporter "supports" by going to games, paying cash into the club, supporting the team with your voice at games to spur then on, etc. 

Otherwise you're just a fan eh?

You could argue that by putting money in any way, you are ‘supporting’ a team. SKY Sports package or a key ring with a club’s badge on it. I’ve seen Arsenal twice at the Emirates. Wouldn’t say I was a fan or a supporter though.

Scott was right earlier in the thread. “Supporting” is a funny thing.

27 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Oh good grief!

Hope that explains!

Ah, gotcha. True enough actually.

Would be nice to be able to join in with all the guys in the pub when there’s a game on the telly though...they seem to get quite emotional about it. :D

Tokyo Drifter
11 hours ago, Ryder said:

Do I just choose one at random? 

When can I refer to that team as ‘us’ or ‘we’?

Cheers.

1/ NO. YOU CHOOSE LIVERPOOL.

2/ ONLY ONCE YOU'VE BEEN TO SEE THEM, AND BOUGHT A LAMINATED A4 "THIS IS ANFIELD" POSTER TO HANG ABOVE YOUR KITCHEN DOOR.

3/ YOU'RE WELCOME.

All roads lead to Gorgie
10 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

You should support West Ham mate. It makes being a Jambo a lot easier. West Ham ARE a ******* shambles :raging:

I met Trevor Brooking at a golf event so I came close. Narrow escape :unsure2:

chester copperpot

Who gives a ****.

I supported Liverpool long before I did Hearts.

I couldn't care less who you refer to as 'we'.

When 'we' played against Liverpool, there was only 1 outcome I wanted. It didn't work out!

10 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

You support two racist clubs

:cornette:

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, michael_bolton said:

Similar experience in Poland. Spent years watching Zawisza Bydgoszcz, but their success or otherwise never really bothered me. I just enjoyed going to the games.

Jeezo!

"Gimme a Z...; Gimme an A... etc."

"What's that spell?"

47 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Quite. 

Go figure.

If you're talking about Scots, the 50 somethings would probably be Leeds United. When I was in primary school, that was the 'English' team we'd follow due to the enormous contingent of Scots in the first squad.

I've live in London for over 30 years and have never formed a strong allegiance to any of the clubs here. A few good mates support Spurs; others support QPR or Chelsea, Arsenal or Brentford. One of my kids supports Chelsea another supports Arsenal (a bit) and the other doesn't seem to have any particular favourite. They all know to look out for the Hearts score and put on their Hearts kits for football practice, though!

"For as long as I can remember all I wanted in my life, nothing else, was to play for Hearts, which is my dream team. I had no ambition for anything else; always Hearts."

11 hours ago, Ryder said:

Do I just choose one at random? 

When can I refer to that team as ‘us’ or ‘we’?

Cheers.

Don't see why not.is there not someone on here who supports Hearts some English team and an Irish team?

19 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

nah, you really ****ed it up this  time..

Too far?

Okay then, i would put Mumford & Sons somewhere around Aberdeen - stuck in the past with fans who are *****

(Only kidding BurnieHearts !)

The only other team I could claim to "support" is the mighty SV Babelsberg 03, currently plying there trade in the German 4th tier. Been to a few games, normally get a wee bit of merchandise from them, used to watch their highlights online.

Just a pity their fans have taken a liking to Celtic, probably because Babelsberg and St Pauli have a few links too. 

I support a 7th tier English team and refer to them as we and us. I actually go to way more of their games than Hearts as it's on the doorstep.

So who gives a **** what anyone thinks you can support who you want when you want.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Quite. 

Go figure.

spot on FACT

It's so cringe when you hear someone up here refer to some English club as 'we' actually lose any respect I might have had for that person.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Quite. 

I can just about remember Willie Johnstone and another Scot Ally Brown playing for the Baggies in the 70s. They could still have one or two oldie fans kicking about for that reason! 

You can do whatever you want, legal or not, and you do not need approval from strangers on an internet forum lol ;) 

I've just wasted a couple of minutes of my life reading the saddest thread ever to appear on kickback. I guess that makes me a sad ******* too. I'm out of here.

rudi must stay

Like to support a good team anywhere to be honest, to keep liking football (remember after Hearts lost last season I supported Inter Milan for a game). Don't think id be too happy if Hearts were my only team. Yes, its glory hunting, but it's clever gloryhunting

Archived