Tony McDonald

Smith&Weston

Bazzas right boot

Said before I think he is the most exciting out of our youngsters and doesn't look out of place in the first team atm.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone forgetting Henderson a little bit also.

According to somebody that would know -MacDonald and Henderson play very well together.

The lad is a gem no doubt and a nice guy. Turned up at a Coerver coach course in Glenrothes on Sunday after the Junior Jambos event. My son was there taking part. He got photos taken with the youngsters. Close friend of mine is friends with his dad and Anthony is a well grounded young man. Viva Levein........

Image result for craig levein gif

2 hours ago, Smith&Weston said:

What a prospect we have on our hands here.  This guy is going to be a big big player over the next few years and if we have any sense then we ensure we get him on a very long term contract.

Not 17 until the 17th of March.  That is incredible.

I can celebrate with him as my birthday is 17th March, he can get a juice I’ll have the whisky

The exciting thing for players like McDonald and Cochrane is that they are still 8-10 years from being at their peak.

If they keep progressing, they've got the potential to be big players in the Scottish game.

pattythejambo
1 hour ago, campbell said:

Funny this thread should come up, I was going to start one about him, with not living in Edinburgh anymore I don’t get to games so haven’t seen much of him, most of the games on tv Harry has played so I have seen his obvious talent, my question is where does McDonald rank vs Harry, I know they play different positions but just a general overview would be great! 

Let’s try not to compare them as you said both different types of player, just enjoy them. 

I was at a 20’s game last year and heard Andy Kirk telling  the St Johnstone coach about a game when Antony ,Harry and Mark (Brighton) kept the ball between them for 26 passes without the opposition getting a touch.

CL seems to know what he is doing with the youth so let’s enjoy them playing with no fear.

The boy looks a top player in the making.

Speed, skill and a good football brain.  Looks quite a streetwise wee guy as well.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Tony macaroni has a football brain a natural talent, creative, inventive and only going to get better, faster and stronger 

McDonald is an exceptional talent, one who should be managed carefully, I agree that he is youngster that I think will net Hearts the higher transfer fee in years to come. 

jamboinglasgow

Didn't make the game today but delighted he is still showing his ability. Says a lot that Levein started him ahead of Milinkovic and Amankwaa.

I do think we have a lot of current talent now and others to come through. Just requires careful management.

jamboinglasgow
3 hours ago, cocobeab said:

If the emergence of Anthony, Harry and others is in anyway way related to this Box Soccer thing then we’ll be looking at a statue of John Colquhoun and Cathro before long 

Those two would be too old to have had box soccer, but I think the year group two or three years below are the first groups we will see having used box soccer.

As others have highlighted, it’s his (and Cochrane’s) composure that is particularly impressive. The only reason you’d know they were 16 is their size and the fact they haven’t started shaving. Very encouraging. 

Very, very intelligent player, take a look at Mitchell's goal, we work it out from the back with Djoum and Macdonald, Anthony then blocks off the attackers run to allow Djoum a free roam down the flank.

Fantastic game lad, Love being a Jambo.

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Those two would be too old to have had box soccer, but I think the year group two or three years below are the first groups we will see having used box soccer.

Is their real talent at years below also?

J.T.F.Robertson

If they're as potentially good as most of you think, they won't be with us for long. We need to ensure we don't end up with peanuts for them when they do leave.

REALLY do not need any more of these feck ups.

Funtime Jambo
3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

IMO, McDonald is better than Cochrane. And Cochrane is bloody good!

:rolleyes2: Comparing our talented youngsters just let them develop!!!!!;)

5 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Is their real talent at years below also?

Yes mate.  Our 12/13/14 age groups are top drawer with some proper footballers among them.

my mates boy plays for the u-14's.  My mate is Celtic daft (as is his lad) and even he admits to being blown away by what is going on at Hearts right now.  The coaching is great and the quality of young players is like nothing we've seen at Hearts (or Scottish football) before.

ive said on here several times, we will be winning the league within 10 years.

4 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

If they're as potentially good as most of you think, they won't be with us for long. We need to ensure we don't end up with peanuts for them when they do leave.

REALLY do not need any more of these feck ups.

I somewhat disagree here. Not that they won’t be here, as players these days don’t stay long enough for a testimonial. But as I stated in the Levein thread, by having Craig at the helm as DoF and Manager we have a youth policy that is enticing for these guys. Whereas in the past we would bring a young guy through to only be pinched by Rangers or Celtic, more recently our youth get pinched or sought after from down south until their contract expires - but now players like McDonald and Cochrane will see Tynecastle as a place to stay and actually play first team football while developing. So although I agree they will eventually go, I think when they do it will be a few years down the line for a good fee to play first team football elsewhere rather than to go to some U21 side down south for more money sooner than later.

Nelly Terraces

Can play comfortably with either foot & has a lovely touch & movement to go with it. By far the best footballer we have at the club. Hopefully see a lot more of this lad in maroon.

8 hours ago, neonjambo said:

Very, very intelligent player, take a look at Mitchell's goal, we work it out from the back with Djoum and Macdonald, Anthony then blocks off the attackers run to allow Djoum a free roam down the flank.

Fantastic game lad, Love being a Jambo.

didn't realise that was macdonald who blocked the player, good game management

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Yes mate.  Our 12/13/14 age groups are top drawer with some proper footballers among them.

my mates boy plays for the u-14's.  My mate is Celtic daft (as is his lad) and even he admits to being blown away by what is going on at Hearts right now.  The coaching is great and the quality of young players is like nothing we've seen at Hearts (or Scottish football) before.

Terrific to hear that

hopefully your mates lad, and his dad , see the light and convert to PHM in due course. As for the league winning prediction when I met my wife-to-be in 1997 she asked me for a list of ten things I’d like to do before snuffing it.

just the league victory and Scotland getting past the group stages in the World Cup to go

12 hours ago, Futurejambo1 said:

McDonald is an exceptional talent, one who should be managed carefully, I agree that he is youngster that I think will net Hearts the higher transfer fee in years to come. 

It seems the youngsters are being managed carefully. 

Even Harry, the one who seems to be rated to play every game, was rested for the Motherwell game. The others are in and out well managed. 

jamboinglasgow
4 hours ago, Finlay James said:

I have see others say that the club has high hopes for the U13s.

exciting times.

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It seems the youngsters are being managed carefully. 

Even Harry, the one who seems to be rated to play every game, was rested for the Motherwell game. The others are in and out well managed. 

We've played ten teenagers this season, it's incredible. And the way their game time is being managed means that instead of getting burnt out or jaded, they'll be DYING to get on the pitch again. Exciting times, the foundations for something special are being built!

CL is a clearly a huge fan of AM.....he always takes time out to praise him.

I really like the way the club are handling these younger players.....none of them seem to act like they’ve made it yet which is refreshing.

12 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Didn't make the game today but delighted he is still showing his ability. Says a lot that Levein started him ahead of Milinkovic and Amankwaa.

I do think we have a lot of current talent now and others to come through. Just requires careful management.

Which we have with Levein and the coaching staff, the difference this time is these guys (McDonald & Cochrane) will make Hearts a lot of money and the academy hopefully, will continue to bring through a conveyor belt of talent who know if they are good enough, Levein will give them a chance. 

5 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Good to hear that ?, do all the younger teams play games at Heriot Watt as wood be good to go along and watch some of youth teams.

Best compliment I can give him and I’ve said it from day one is I think he is better than Cochrane and i really like Cochrane! The future is bright 

Siphiwe Tshabalala

He was the best player on the park for me yesterday. 

He is technically stunning, absolute joy to watch!

There will be players in academies up and down the country looking at what's going on at Hearts and wishing they had the same opportunities at their own respective clubs.

It now seems 'normal' to have a 16 year old/s in the side and I absolute love it.

11 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Terrific to hear that

hopefully your mates lad, and his dad , see the light and convert to PHM in due course. As for the league winning prediction when I met my wife-to-be in 1997 she asked me for a list of ten things I’d like to do before snuffing it.

just the league victory and Scotland getting past the group stages in the World Cup to go

You must have bern quite pleased when you ticked off beating Hibs 5-1 in a Scottish Cup final.?

I fully agree with your comments on Finlay James post.  So many people on here who are really itk about the academy really singing it's praises.

Makes you wonder if we ever do triple sessions these days whether someone like Lafferty or Hughes reads them a story then puts them down for an hour.

They're so bloody young!

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

You must have bern quite pleased when you ticked off beating Hibs 5-1 in a Scottish Cup final.?

I fully agree with your comments on Finlay James post.  So many people on here who are really itk about the academy really singing it's praises.

It wasnt as precise as that . IIRC it was something about wiping out 1973 by destroying Hibs by a record score. 2012 was sufficient for me to tick that one off

28 minutes ago, dav1e said:

Great article JME, I'm sure he will be a huge influence in the next few years. The future looks bright.

Fantastic player to watch, cant wait to see how all the boys develop in the future. I think many of them will be important first team players within the next 2-3 years, Harry and Anthony already showing signs.

Coburg Hearts
52 minutes ago, JME said:

Found this 2 year old article on the lad. Not sure if i'm misinterpreting it but I believe it says he could've joined the Hobo's before us but it never worked out.

http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/south-east-region/item/18681-anthony-mcdonald-the-young-jambo-progressing-well-in-maroon.html

That's a good read. Seems you're right about hibs........   quote   ", it could also be a case of what might have for the green half of Edinburgh after Anthony's move didn't work out. Invited to train with Hearts though, Anthony has never looked back."

1 minute ago, Coburg Hearts said:

That's a good read. Seems you're right about hibs........   quote   ", it could also be a case of what might have for the green half of Edinburgh after Anthony's move didn't work out. Invited to train with Hearts though, Anthony has never looked back."

Yeah reading it initially I wasn't too sure but reading it back seems to be the case. It could come back to bite them in the arse, looks as though he's a player.

Hard to believe he 's only 16 !  For such a young lad, his awareness and skill is excellent. Hope he and Harry are with us for many a year to come.

Don't know their contract situation, but if Craig can get them to sign extentions to them, it would be great.

Unbelievable level of confidence for a 16 year old. Really looking forward to this lad developing into a top player at HEARTS!

15 hours ago, JME said:

Found this 2 year old article on the lad. Not sure if i'm misinterpreting it but I believe it says he could've joined the Hobo's before us but it never worked out.

http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/south-east-region/item/18681-anthony-mcdonald-the-young-jambo-progressing-well-in-maroon.html

25 months on from that article and the lad is playing first team football regularly and contributing to the pumping of Celtic and helping guide us to our first SC quarter final for ages.

Bloody brilliant.

Can't wait till the wee man scores his first goal.

If thats the state of the laddies coming through the academy then we are in for a absolute treat. The lad McDonald was class.

A mixture of young motivated home-grown talent and older experienced pro's is the way to go. 

Seem to recall Sir Alex having a bit of success with that model a few years back...:whistling:

God like creature

I’m just wanting to point out the wee ‘check’ he did into st Johnstone number 5,joe Shaughnessy for our second goal,

‘very mature football,seen it dealt with it,great goal at the end of it.

Young Anthony, the likes of Cochrane, Irving, Mitchell and even Djoum will benefit from Adao and Callaghan adding the physical edge we have been missing, we need to compete to allow the football to come out. The team had a better balance to it on Saturday, ( well done CL ) and looked dangerous on the break. Never quite sure about Lafferty leading the line but that was as good as I have seen him, he looked more relaxed, now that the window has passed. We also now have options in the squad, Milinkovic, Amankwaa and Naismith not in the starting line-ups as examples.

17 minutes ago, God like creature said:

I’m just wanting to point out the wee ‘check’ he did into st Johnstone number 5,joe Shaughnessy for our second goal,

‘very mature football,seen it dealt with it,great goal at the end of it.

Noticed that too, killed the momentum Shaughnessy needed to catch up with Djoum. Very clever play by the lad. 

Archived