Tony McDonald

Smith&Weston

What a prospect we have on our hands here.  This guy is going to be a big big player over the next few years and if we have any sense then we ensure we get him on a very long term contract.

Not 17 until the 17th of March.  That is incredible.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had an excellent first half, tired (understandably) as the second went on.

He really is a great prospect, hope we can enjoy him for several more seasons watching him get better and better.

GorgieRules22

Young boy was out of this world. Not many players at Tynecastle get me a bit giddy but this laddie is pure class. His flick in the 2nd half was outrageous.

The laddie is pure class. Also looks to be quite strong in holding off players, for one so young. Thought he was superb today. Had him as my MOTM.

Saw on Hambones highlights the brilliant role he played in one of our goals against Celtic.  So assured and intelligent.  Think it was the move that led to the penalty.

Scoring 30 yard screamers can be a bit lucky.  What he did against Celtic didn't have a modicum of luck.

A skilful player with good touch on the ball, sees a pass and can only improve - enjoyable to watch and hopefully he continue to try things ( even when they don't always come off ) - worth the entry money just to watch this talented player

1 minute ago, japanjambo said:

The laddie is pure class. Also looks to be quite strong in holding off players, for one so young. Thought he was superb today. Had him as my MOTM.

Noticed that, one time in front of the Wheat field he was really strong holding off the saints player

Kind of shows up St Brenda's comments about 16 year olds, in what was a tough game and, in which he competed well physically.

Of course, he didn't have someone deliberately setting out to injure him.

I don't suppose he'll get much publicity as all of it will go to the decent looking young Chelsea player who temporarily plays for Celtic.

I really like Mcdonald. I thought he stood out over any of the youngsters until the 4-0 performance from cochrane against celtic. 

Very impressed today. He's been good when I've seen him before lets hope Browny doesn't decide to ride him the next time we play them.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I don't suppose he'll get much publicity as all of it will go to the decent looking young Chelsea player who temporarily plays for Celtic.

The boy that looks 5 and is shit scared off defending?  They can keep him.

Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

The boy that looks 5 and is shit scared off defending?  They can keep him.

Yep.    Yet he'll keep being fawned over.    Some other team's player who Celtic had **** all to do with developing until now.

Funny this thread should come up, I was going to start one about him, with not living in Edinburgh anymore I don’t get to games so haven’t seen much of him, most of the games on tv Harry has played so I have seen his obvious talent, my question is where does McDonald rank vs Harry, I know they play different positions but just a general overview would be great! 

Just now, Victorian said:

Yep.    Yet he'll keep being fawned over.    Some other team's player who Celtic had **** all to do with developing until now.

Seriously, I watched him today and thought “Is this the same guy they were pulling the heed clean of it over?”

Very impressed. Pace, skill and vision. Really pleased by his performance today and think Cochrane and him are going to be real talents.  Really hoping they sign long term contracts. Bright future

Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

Seriously, I watched him today and thought “Is this the same guy they were pulling the heed clean of it over?”

Show pony.     ALWAYS looking to produce a trick.    Zero football brain and no graft.

Graham Thomson

McDonald and Cochrane 2 of the best prospects i have seen in over 45 years of supporting Hearts' exciting times ?

rudi must stay
Just now, campbell said:

Funny this thread should come up, I was going to start one about him, with not living in Edinburgh anymore I don’t get to games so haven’t seen much of him, most of the games on tv Harry has played so I have seen his obvious talent, my question is where does McDonald rank vs Harry, I know they play different positions but just a general overview would be great! 

For me McDonald is a more exciting prospect. I watched his game today and only once did he misscontrol the ball, each time he gets it he bombs forward too. Really consistent and has the tools, as does Brandon IMO to win matches on his own for Hearts 

4 minutes ago, campbell said:

McDonald = David Silva

Cochrane = Iniesta 

??

For me the most talented of all the young players, another superb performance. Picked ahead of Milinkovic and Amankwaa so must also be performing really well in training. Really good times ahead. 

Lovely player to watch. Seems to just glide along. Has a good burst of pace which takes him past players

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Show pony.     ALWAYS looking to produce a trick.    Zero football brain and no graft.

I’m pretty sure this guy will disappear after his stint with Celtic. 

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

For me McDonald is a more exciting prospect. I watched his game today and only once did he misscontrol the ball, each time he gets it he bombs forward too. Really consistent and has the tools, as does Brandon IMO to win matches on his own for Hearts 

If you’re right I can’t bloody wait to see these two in a maroon jersey for years to come, I think Cochrane is a real special player, he plays in the mayhem of centre mid and looks so calm and already ahead of so many seasoned pros. Yes he has a lot to learn. Surely we can’t go wrong building out squad around these two and a few other, Henderson, Brandon Bauer etc 

Thought Police

Very difficult to remember they are just 16 these lads, and I think CL has admitted this. Rotating them would be the best course of action for the next wee while I think.

Most excited I've been about Hearts since 2005/2006 and this is better because there's no Vlad factor and our finances are assured.

Reading the threads today people are genuiningly excited about so many of our players.  So much so that the goalie who just executed another shut out barely rated a mention.

The next 3 months promise to be brilliant.

3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Most excited I've been about Hearts since 2005/2006 and this is better because there's no Vlad factor and our finances are assured.

Reading the threads today people are genuiningly excited about so many of our players.  So much so that the goalie who just executed another shut out barely rated a mention.

The next 3 months promise to be brilliant.

Nailed it:thumbsup:

Nice to see a young player like that with a sharp brain and good touch combined.

Never loses the ball too easily. Always thinking what he's going to do with the ball as he gets hit. It's a good quality to have and hard to play against.

Really like him.

He's got a low centre of gravity and got some great footwork. Almost like Messi ?

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

Tony McDonald, Harry Cochrane 

once they turn 17 need 5 year contracts with a crazy ludicrous release clause £20mil plus.. why not other clubs do reduces any interest from Scottish clubs also allow both players to focus More on hearts to. Crazy talents on our hands 

fabienleclerq

You know the thing that impresses  me most when I watch him isn't just his skill it's his intelligence. For a 16 year old he plays like an experienced pro at times, he's quite happy keeping possesion and doing the simple things rather than being over elaborate. Big future, we need to enjoy him while he's here. Long contract please!

If the emergence of Anthony, Harry and others is in anyway way related to this Box Soccer thing then we’ll be looking at a statue of John Colquhoun and Cathro before long 

Credit to the Hearts Management team for playing so many Kids at this level..water finds its level it truly is looking thoroughly  good in the Gorgie Hood

Oh and F T H Looking in .. The Gorgie are back

The wee guy is a joy to watch. Unbelievable what age he is! A Fantastic prospect we have on our hands. He defended superbly today too. As others have said, he shows remarkable discipline and decision making for one so young . Another hoof ball graduate .....

4 minutes ago, Bighenry said:

The wee guy is a joy to watch. Unbelievable what age he is! A Fantastic prospect we have on our hands. He defended superbly today too. As others have said, he shows remarkable discipline and decision making for one so young . Another hoof ball graduate .....

Hibs academy... OMS

Saw his tweet earlier. No surprise he is burst. He just kept running and running today. Sterling performance! 

1 hour ago, campbell said:

Different positions as you say but the big thing for me about him, Cochrane and I’d add Brandon to the list is they look 100% ready for first team football already.

Their decision making, awareness, confidence and composure, on top of their obvious talent, puts them a cut above all the other recent youngsters, or certainly on a par with paterson and walker.

Kudos to the coaches for getting them ready for the step up at such a young age. They just need to add a bit more fitness for this level, not far off though.

Central Belt 1874

Was my MOTM today. Great performance and if managed correctly will contribute loads to the rest of the season and beyond. 

Archived