C.Ronaldo - Over-hyped & Over-valued?

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

C.Ronaldo & Portugal have just gone out of Euro-2008 without making much if any real impact.

Now I know C.Ronaldo has just had the perfect season at Man Utd where everything he hit seemed to go in but at this tourney he has shown that he is nowhere near the level yet where he can dominate games and tournaments like the true greats of the past (Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Platini etc.) so...

Is Ronaldo over-hyped & over-priced?

He ight well be over-priced but that's not his fault (it's modern day football) and compared to other players the impact he can have if injury free is worth the massive transfer fee and wages. Real are not stupid, they will know exactly what he can bring in terms of shirt sales and sponsorship deals nevermind the likelihood he along with other's they sign will dominate Spanish football for umpteen years and make a bigger impression in the Champs League.

Remember he is only 23 and has had an unbelievable impact on the self named best league in the world. He has many 'peak' years ahead of him and plenty time to do it in the really big matches.

Don't think he's over-hyped, last season he was the greatest player on earth. 99% of footballers are over-valued.

Tonight he didn't look particularly interested.

Is he the new Beckham ?

No, he is a lot more talented than Beckham has ever been.

The Real Maroonblood
Is he the new Beckham ?

In terms of marketing yes.

Footballing wise he is miles ahead of Beckam which isn't that hard to achieve.

Harry Palmer

Ronaldo consistently fails to perform at major international tournaments.

Then greets afterwards, (which wasn't shown?).

Therefore, he is not yet a 'great' alongside Pele/Maradona etc, who probably both cried after winning World Cups (Pele @ 17yo).

So, overhyped? Yes. Overvalued? Yes.

Charlie-Brown
No, he is a lot more talented than Beckham has ever been.

I meant in a financial sense....... he's certainly a very very good player but I don't think he's a footballing great nor will he become one in the true sense of what that means in a historical sense, I just don't think he has the personality for it - he scores but he doesn't dominate games - I think Gazza was a bigger & better player at the same age (although nuts even then!)

Give me Leo Messi over him any day.

Agreed.

Dont think Cristiano Ronaldo is as good as Ronaldinho, the Ronaldo (theres only one), Zidane or Rivaldo were in their day either

jamboinglasgow

Is it more due to the fact he is in the premiership that he is overhyped. The media love the idea of the world's best player playing in (what the English media think) the world's best league. I did think a few weeks before that he was the world's best player but now I think about it and having seen more footage of Messi, he is an incrediable player who performs on all competitions unlike Ronaldo who does it in the Premiership only.

Saying that I do think Ronaldo is in the top 3 players in the world behind Messi with Kaka in second.

PolitiCon06

Overvalued...probably, but who isn't?

Personally, I think he's not overhyped. I understand the argument - that he's not done it in the big games - but he's only 23. Plenty more big games will come his way in the years to come. To score almost 80 goals in two seasons at such a high level justifies hype in my opinion.

Jealous types always argue that he can do it against Nicky Shorey and Carlos Bocanegra week in, week out but not against quality opposition. I don't think this is valid. The talent's still there. I agree he doesn't boss games in the way Zidane did but that's not his game; he's an impact player. Can be playing relatively poorly and then come up with two moments of magic that put the game out of reach for the opposition.

Basically, I think if Ronaldo so-called "bottles" it in big games it is psychological, completely unrelated to his ability with a ball at his feet.

He is very, very talented and perhaps the most technically gifted player at the moment but remeber football is about more than just talent, just ask Recoba, Ronaldinho, Hagi etc etc - all supreme talents who did'nt quite have the attitude to match it. I think there is something wrong with Ronaldo's mentality (i.e he is an immature, arrogant knobend) that could ultimately prevent him reaching that legendary level that only the very very best can reach. He is in the bracket just below that, along with the likes of Henry and Deco. He is not in the same class as the likes of Van Basten, Platini, Zidane or even a player like Maldini in terms of dominating on the big stage consistantly and also in terms of attitude/mentality and to be honest I don't think he ever will be. To talk about him in the same sense as Maradona or Pele is just madness.

Messi...now there is a legend in the making.

Charlie-Brown

He is still quite young and has 10 years to prove himself at the very highest level but tonite & in the other games in this tourney he has looked like he might threaten to do something without ever really doing it - yet he's only played against players rated at a fraction of his (current) value and apart from Ballack hasn't faced many big names in Euro-2008.......maybe all the speculation has had an effect? maybe that's partly what the Spanish intended?

I would even say Real have a better overall (team) player in Sneijder, get Van Der Vaart at a fraction of the price of Ronaldo to play alongside Wesley and Robinho and you have one of the best midfield combos in the world imo. Real should have learned from their previous transfer policy that constantly buying the big names at big prices only brings short term gains and only makes the eventual failures all the more spectacular.

I meant in a financial sense....... he's certainly a very very good player but I don't think he's a footballing great nor will he become one in the true sense of what that means in a historical sense, I just don't think he has the personality for it - he scores but he doesn't dominate games - I think Gazza was a bigger & better player at the same age (although nuts even then!)

I agree about the marketing because clearly to sign the real elite nowadays you have got to get it back from merchandising and the deals having him bring in. I also agree he can't in anyway be considered as good as the top players of all time but he has had a phenomonal impact on the Man Utd team (who have just won the last 2 Premiership's and most recently the Champions League). Definitely amongst the top foreigners of all time to play in England.

The thing about Maradona and Pele inparticular are that though they were complete geniuses they played for countries who have won what 7 World Cups between them whilst Portugal (like the Dutch and Cruyff) will always struggle to achieve that so that is a disadvantage.

He is however only 23 so has much of his prime left and who knows the Real Madrid team of the next 5 or 6 years may become an incredible side.

jamboinglasgow

is there almost a liguring problem that we are writing players off to early. With the endless amazing youngsters coming through the big countries there has been a issue of casting of the amazing players for the younger amazing players.

Toxteth O'Grady
C.Ronaldo & Portugal have just gone out of Euro-2008 without making much if any real impact.

Now I know C.Ronaldo has just had the perfect season at Man Utd where everything he hit seemed to go in but at this tourney he has shown that he is nowhere near the level yet where he can dominate games and tournaments like the true greats of the past (Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Platini etc.) so...

Ronaldo has been pretty decent in a limited team.

They have been carried as far as they can go by Ronaldo and Deco.

They can't defend (I wouldn't swap Robbie for Bosingwa;) he hasn't even got a long throw ) Carvalho has been poor

They have no decent strikers, Gomes is past it.

I'd prefer to judge Ronaldo on his whole season performance than in a few games in the Euros. I can't think of many players I would rather have in his position.

Over hyped and over priced?

Yes, but aren't they all now?

He is still quite young and has 10 years to prove himself at the very highest level but tonite & in the other games in this tourney he has looked like he might threaten to do something without ever really doing it - yet he's only played against players rated at a fraction of his (current) value and apart from Ballack hasn't faced many big names in Euro-2008.......maybe all the speculation has had an effect? maybe that's partly what the Spanish intended?

Is he even as good as Ballack? Ballack dominated the German league for years, and dragged Leverkusen to the CL final and Germany to the WC final....

Sky Sports breaking news.........."Ronaldo to announce in next 2 days his Premiership career is over"

Charlie-Brown
is there almost a liguring problem that we are writing players off to early. With the endless amazing youngsters coming through the big countries there has been a issue of casting of the amazing players for the younger amazing players.

I don't think anybody is writing Ronaldo off jamboinglasgow and most people acknowledge he's an exceptional player and currently one of the best around however if his speculated Real transfer goes through then he will become by far & away the most expensive & highest paid footballer EVER....now I know the major part of that is down to the amount of money currently available at the highest level of football however with such an enormous price tag comparisons are bound to be made with all the previous footballing greats - and how much would some of them be worth nowadays? :wacko:

Charlie-Brown
Is he even as good as Ballack? Ballack dominated the German league for years, and dragged Leverkusen to the CL final and Germany to the WC final....

Ballack has without doubt had a great career and been the most influential German player in the last decade.....probably their best since Klinsmann.

such an enormous price tag comparisons are bound to be made with all the previous footballing greats - and how much would some of them be worth nowadays? :wacko:

In fairness that's not just a football question, you could really equate it to any superstar sportsman. I've been avidly watching the NBA Finals and the top players there earn more than the top footballers (Ronaldo will eclipse even them mind you) and a couple of nights ago the Boston Celtics won their first title since 1986 (oh what a bad summer that was). In the crowd were legends like Larry Bird and Robert Parish, as well as older players who had won many titles and yet of course they had earned just a small fraction of what today's household superstars earn.

Both tremendous but different players. Think Ballack could be a real key player in the Premiership next season especially if Lampard leaves. Huge boost for the rest of the 'big 4' though if Ronaldo leaves.

artfuldodger

if man utd dont sell him this season then he will only go down in value(if he aint already)tere is no i in team

Charlie-Brown
In fairness that's not just a football question, you could really equate it to any superstar sportsman. I've been avidly watching the NBA Finals and the top players there earn more than the top footballers (Ronaldo will eclipse even them mind you) and a couple of nights ago the Boston Celtics won their first title since 1986 (oh what a bad summer that was). In the crowd were legends like Larry Bird and Robert Parish, as well as older players who had won many titles and yet of course they had earned just a small fraction of what today's household superstars earn.

It was indeed....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qTXbVsOP0o

I recall criticism being leveled at Ronaldo last season, based on the fact that he apparently never performed well in the big games, and particularly in Europe. He soon countered that with his performances in the latter stages of the Champions League.

As for his international record, it is pretty impressive. In this tournament, I thought he was generally excellent, but like the Portuguese team, he underperformed tonight. In previous tournaments, he has also looked pretty good.

As for comparisons with the true greats of the past, I can only really compare him to Maradona (eg all I've ever seen Pele do is miss from the half-way line, dummy the ball to no avail, and pass the ball sideways for his full-back to score...), and he does not come close to the little Argentine. Mind you, noone I have seen has, as Diego was absolutely phenomenal. I think Ronaldo is a great, great player, though, and one of the best around currently. He will also get better - he is, after all, only 23.

As for being "over-priced"??? What a crazy suggestion. The only fee paid for him is the ?12 million Man Yoo got him for - and they have clearly got their money's worth. Any other figures placed on him by the media, or you, are simply fantasy.

Charlie-Brown
Yeah that took me a while to get over right enough :sad:

Given the form he was in that was about the only way he was going to lose......those were 'expensive' tyres!! :( Hearts & Everton my other big betting hopes that year lost on the final day(s) as well. :mad:

Given the form he was in that was about the only way he was going to lose......those were 'expensive' tyres!!

I'll take your word for it after all I was just a young pup !

I recall criticism being leveled at Ronaldo last season, based on the fact that he apparently never performed well in the big games, and particularly in Europe. He soon countered that with his performances in the latter stages of the Champions League.

As for his international record, it is pretty impressive. In this tournament, I thought he was generally excellent, but like the Portuguese team, he underperformed tonight. In previous tournaments, he has also looked pretty good.

As for comparisons with the true greats of the past, I can only really compare him to Maradona (eg all I've ever seen Pele do is miss from the half-way line, dummy the ball to no avail, and pass the ball sideways for his full-back to score...), and he does not come close to the little Argentine. Mind you, noone I have seen has, as Diego was absolutely phenomenal. I think Ronaldo is a great, great player, though, and one of the best around currently. He will also get better - he is, after all, only 23.

QUOTE]

I'm not so sure. He was pretty anonymous in both the games v Barca. Sure he scored the goal in the final but didn't feature much in the game. He never really played that well in Euro 08 - not for the 'World Player of the Year' elect. Most of his goals have come against lesser opposition. Man U would be daft not to cash in on him now.

Charlie-Brown
I'll take your word for it after all I was just a young pup !

1986 wasn't all bad - Gary Lineker came up trumps in the goal scoring stakes both in the world cup & english first division (probably the last time i won a season-long bet :laugh:...) also this happened :)

snn3112xf384_427936a.jpg

if man utd dont sell him this season then he will only go down in value(if he aint already)tere is no i in team

I before E except after C. Tiem!

Jam Tarts 1874

Ronaldo has been allowed a free reign by Sir Alex at Man Utd, he plays all over the pitch. However Scolari has always given Ronaldo a very specific brief, it seems to inhibit Ronaldo. When Portugal have a different coach perhaps we will see a different Ronaldo at international level.

this_is_my_story

Would we have heard this 'Best player in the world' pish every time he has appeared in Euro2008 from Tyldlsey & co if Ronaldo plied his trade in La Liga or Serie A? Do they watch every game worldwide to be able to be an authority on this matter??

As talented as he is, I don't think he is the best on the planet. These clowns only claim this to be the case partly because Ronlado plays in 'The Best League in the World'.

Geoff Kilpatrick

What also has to be looked at is the team structure within which the player plays.

The way United have played in the season just past allowed Ronaldo to come off the wing and reduce his defensive responsibilities as well. The movement that allowed then allowed him to show his skills and pace in the last third of the pitch.

It's a little like Henry at Arsenal where the team was built round his strengths as well.

shaun.lawson

Far too early to make such a judgement, NMH. Of course Ronaldo's no Pele or Maradona - who is, especially in a football world ever more focused on fitness, strength and defensive organisation? - but I thought he had a reasonable Euro 2004, a good World Cup, and a perfectly decent tournament here too.

When he first arrived at Man Utd, he seemed very overhyped: I couldn't understand what all the tricks and flicks were for, and felt he was another Denilson: the one time world's most expensive player who did nothing for the team and ultimately faded away into obscurity. But his progress since has been meteoric, and yet another tribute to Sir Alex Ferguson - and what he achieved this season in the best club side on the planet has been absolutely astounding. Moreover, as Geoff's said above, Portugal play in a different way to United, and Ronaldo often ends up isolated out wide with no Tevez or Rooney type to feed off.

It could go either way for him in Madrid, and it remains to be seen if he can retain the hunger and dedication which have helped him improve so far so fast. But having achieved everything that's possible at Old Trafford, he's well within his rights to move, maximise his extraordinary marketability, and try and help Real to glory. Make no mistake: English football will miss him hugely.

shaun.lawson

I would agree - but can he stay injury free, especially after all the cortisone he was pumped full of as a teenager in order to make him bigger and stronger? Major shades of Maradona here: sensational player when fit, but all the club-administered injections ultimately turned the world's greatest footballer into a fat, mad, immobilised dwarf.

dunciboyjambo
Is it more due to the fact he is in the premiership that he is overhyped. The media love the idea of the world's best player playing in (what the English media think) the world's best league. I did think a few weeks before that he was the world's best player but now I think about it and having seen more footage of Messi, he is an incrediable player who performs on all competitions unlike Ronaldo who does it in the Premiership only.

Saying that I do think Ronaldo is in the top 3 players in the world behind Messi with Kaka in second.

Ronaldo is the best in the world..The goals he scored from midfield last season were incredible and he done it IN THE BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD.. I dont know how you can think the premiership isnt at this current time..What teams were in the champions league semis and final this year?? 4 English teams - more than any other country..

I agree that players are over priced but Ronaldo is certainly worth his salt in shirt sales alone never mind what he brings to the pitch! Kaka, Messi etc - How many goals did they score last season? Prob both added together not as much as Ronaldo...

As much as I think he is a great player I dislike the wee rat ;- )

THE BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD.. I dont know how you can think the premiership isnt at this current time..What teams were in the champions league semis and final this year?? 4 English teams - more than any other country..

aye, that will be Barcelona just south of Newcastle eh?

200milesfromgorgie

Seems he could become one of the best if not the bst player ever. Big statement? maybe.

one things for sure he (like any other player) is no bigger than his club. Man utd should sell him from top dollar, they would have the last laugh.

Silly money in todays game, makes me sick.

dunciboyjambo
aye, that will be Barcelona just south of Newcastle eh?

South west mate get it right...

I ment quarters my bad..you knew what I ment..

Ronaldo was also the top scorer in the Champs league...But obviously Kaka and Messi are far better players...

I think Ronaldo also won a few small awards this season..

most goals in a season for man u

player of the year

players player of the year

world player of the year

writers player of the year

manchster rotary club young player of the year

2nd in the gala bingo player of the year behind clum

Oxford City

Ronaldo was poor last night but he's still young. At least he created a goal. What I couldn't understand was Tyldesley going into raptures over Deco, who looked pretty but didn't play one pass of note in the final third. For all his 'great control' he never hurt Germany all night.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Not a patch on his namesake as yet.

R9 - El Fenomeno - there's only one Ronaldo :)

merseyjambo
South west mate get it right...

Ronaldo was also the top scorer in the Champs league...But obviously Kaka and Messi are far better players...

world player of the year

/QUOTE]

Kaka and Messi are different types of player to Ronaldo. They contribute more to the team effort as opposed to Ronaldo who is given more of a free role within the team.

I thought Kaka was world player of the year or was that last year?

I dislike Ronaldo as he plays for the Red Manc ****. Over-rated, possibly. Look at Henry. When at Arsenal, he was sensational but was fairly poor in Italy and has not had the best season in Spain. You can look back at others who have made a similar move to Spain or Italy, Laurie Cunningham, Ian Rush who were prolific players in England but poor after they moved yet if you look at Mark Hughes or Stevie Archibald, the move worked for them.

I think its difficult to compare the leagues as the football strategy is different. Italy is more defensive and Spain is played at a slower pace with more emphasis on passing rather than physical endeavour.

Like most continental players, he is a blatant cheat at times. He goes down in the box very easily and last night when the German stood on his foot after he craftily positioned it there while the German player was running away, he rolled round as if he had been shot for about 30 seconds in a blatant attempt to get the man sent off and when that didn't work he took the huff.

How I wish John Terry had scored that penalty as I would have loved it if he had been the cause of United losing the CL final.

Overvalued. Definately. Not his fault though as the world transfer market is. When you see quotes of 4m for players like Shola Ameobi, its no wonder, Ronaldos figure is as high. There again, look at what a Season Ticket costs now, so I suppose its all relative.

NoseLikeMahe

Over-hyped? Yes - only by the English though... they spend all their time watching their own league and proclaim it "the best league in the world" but are mostly ignorant of every other league.

Over-priced? No, not if you consider the market.

Best player in the world at the moment? Yes.

Compared with Messi? The both have a bag-full of tricks, they both have pace and aggression to take players on. They both score more goals than you have a right to expect of a winger. The difference is Ronaldo is also a serious threat in the air.

He's miles better than Ronaldinho - mostly due to the buck-toothed one getting exceedingly lazy. He gave up when every team started putting 2 men on him... got overweight and settled for doing the same old 'look-one-way-pass-the-other' trick every time.

For me, Zidane was the greatest natural footballer of his generation. Such balance and effortless movement for a big guy.

Guest Prentice

Overhyped - Yes, but not his fault

Overpriced - No. What price do you put on League Championships and Champions Leagues..............and shirt sales?

If he does go to Madrid then the whole thing stinks. He is contracted until 2012 so I'm sure United will get a very fair price for him but there is far too much power to players and agents these days.

It would never happen (money talks) but I would be delighted if United refused to sell and stuck him on the bench for the next 4 seasons.

Archived