Modern Day Football Sayings

daveyhmfc

Just heard someone on the radio say, Mourinho might "park the bus" today. It really gets on my nerves, such sayings. I am sure that there many fellow jambos who find such modern day sayings really annoying. Why not say, they will be really defensive today? Room 101 for people who utter such sayings.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Wee Mikey

• Bazzas right boot

• been here before

been here before

"to kick on"

"presser"

"footy"

"false 9" or some other bullshit position such as "centre/defensive mid"

Is it a "wordly" or something?

Not quite football per se but usually centered on it... an "acca".

Theres **** loads frankly.

Edited by been here before

The White Cockade

worst is that Davie Provan

guy scores a twenty yarder and Provan says "he's capable of that"

really?

you've just watched him do it so yes he is capable of it!

Game of two halves is an old one

agree false number nine is just nonsense

been here before
1 minute ago, MDV said:

"We go again"

Aye of course you do, it's only November and there's another 20 odd league games to go...

Stevie Gerrard pish from the season he ended on his arse v Chelsea.

Shooter McGavin

Hate it when people say stuff like "He plays the number 9 role to perfection".

Another thing that bugs me is I've got mates (believe it or not), who will say that a player is unbelievable, seconds after they have scored a raker or a couple of goals. Cheers for that, you've made yourself look very insightful!

Edited by Shooter McGavin

zoltan socrates
5 minutes ago, MDV said:

"We go again"

Aye of course you do, it's only November and there's another 20 odd league games to go...

Such a hobbit/losers thing to say, used constantly on fistyermaw.net during their relegation and stuck in the diddy league run

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Hate it when people say stuff like "He plays the number 9 role to perfection" also hear it with number 10.

Yip. The number 9 role for Scotland at Euro '92 was filled by Stewart McKimmie. 

michael_bolton

I've heard more and more people in the last 4 or 5 years using the phrase 'foot race' to describe two players chasing the ball. Horrific.

Also dreadful is anyone who talks about a footballing 'philosophy', Awful self-important language that is almost always the mark of a total bell-end.

I don't mind the new tactical phrases, like false nines. That's just the evolution of the game. All the tactical terms that we traditionally use have been new at some point. The idea of a false nine is simply a response to the tactical changes in the modern game, as is the concept of a holding midfielder etc. I don't mind those phrases as they just reflect the game.

Footrace and philosophy though? Dreadful.

45 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Another one is "the keeper just about saved that"....

No he DID save it you feckin shortarsed, baldy, Mhank loving, slavering fartpiece.

This is the one I was going to post.

Tiki Taka

Sensational - especially when it was a goal or piece of skill you see week in, week out

United & City being used on the radio or tv to describe just the Manchester clubs

zoltan socrates

He a box to box player

upon encroaching either attack or defensive box he shuts down , goes into sleep mode

BE0CEB10-EADF-4F33-9D86-1DBE2A34B6B9.jpeg

Edited by zoltan socrates

Don't like "greasy ball" or "greasy surface" when simply wet. Jimmy Sandison is a big culprit on HW and also pronounces it "greazy" which rips my knitting. I should say Jimmy is brilliant on HW apart from this.

2 hours ago, By the light said:

“There was contact so he’s entitled to go down”

**** right off. 

This one will make me scream at the telly every time

‘We go again’ spouted by footballers (in fact by sports people in general) normally after a defeat.

Edited by droid

The High Press.

Its been a tactic since the Brazil team of the 1970's yet the pundits have only found a nice name for it in the last 3 years,like some genius just invented it recently

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Well I don't see how that's a foul, he got a toe on the ball. 

Normally said after watching it half a dozen times in super slo-mo.

Or after he's come 'right through the back of the player'

1 hour ago, been here before said:

"Second ball". Boy behind me wont shut up aboit it. Its a phrase I  always associate more with rugby.

I'm assuming he's referring to a loose ball via a rebound, poor header etc? Was everyone's favourite battering stick for the second half of last season and I had no idea what it meant exactly 

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:23, MDV said:

"We go again"

See that on here quite a bit and it makes me seethe like nothing else.

Oh, and "Worldy",

**** off!!

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:49, Escobar PHM said:

The High Press.

Its been a tactic since the Brazil team of the 1970's yet the pundits have only found a nice name for it in the last 3 years,like some genius just invented it recently

Invented by Klopp, apparently, even though Liverpool were doing it decades ago.

Mine is, and it is used frequently on here.  "who will get the gig" "so and so got the (insert) gig"   When talking about jobs in football. I despise this saying. 

letsalldothebeattie

The one that really annoys me is when players in post match interviews keep harping on about “the end of the day” does my head in 

another one is when there’s a free kick and hear folk scream “top bin” 

Hagar the Horrible

Not just modern but from time immemorial:   The lad done well.....grammer please, how hard is it to say the lad did well, or the lad has done well?

But just listen to Americans, and you will really have your tights ripped!!!   great yardage (who compiles stats on measuring how far they have travelled with the ball at their feet)  and then go to all that bother to just call it yardage???

The penalty box is not the shooting zone

On 05/11/2017 at 13:22, jonnothejambo said:

Another one is "the keeper just about saved that"....

No he DID save it you feckin shortarsed, baldy, Mhank loving, slavering fartpiece.

that one does my head in! only began to notice it the last few years but it annoys me every time now.

"Park the bus" -   A saying for a football fan that did not know football before the Sky/BT/Arab billionnaire's blank cheque took over.