Aaron Hughes and NI ( merged )

Strachsuit

He's so happy to be with us that he does his 'personal training sessions' in Manchester

He had a very good career but should not have been anywhere near our club and to extend his deal was another example of just how standards have been allowed to slip.

What amazes me is the attempts by some to still defend him as a player....just madness

He could be the nicest man in the world but he's not being paid for that.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wavydavy

• i8hibsh

• Spencer

• Thomaso

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, gedster said:

Trying to beat Bobby Moore's cap record can see him getting a cameo fit or otherwise

It's a world cup play off. You think Northern Ireland will be giving players cameos?

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

We all understand, but we also understand we are in a position when we need everyone digging in to get us out of this situation and there is a SUSPICION that Hughes is focussed more in being fit for NI than Hearts. 

Will he he make himself available for the Killie game to sharpen himself up, and show his international boss he is ready?

So let me get this straight. If he doesn't play for us before joining up with the international squad it shows he's a wage thief putting country before club. If he does play for us before joining up with the international squad it shows he's a wage the if putting country before club. Got to love trial by JKB's kangaroo court.

Marooned Abroad

Once again those who have nothing positive to say are out in force!

Re AH, every time I have seen him in a Hearts jersey (and that is a lot despite my nom de plume!), he has been a steadying influence on our back line. Souttar for example benefitted hugely by having the guy beside him and only since Hughes has been injured has he regressed. AH strolled through the Aberdeen game and largely due to him we negated anything the second best team in Scotland threw at us.

He’s been injured for God’s sake! That doesn’t make him a wage thief. By all accounts he is training again and might even play on Sunday. I hope he does.

No doubt before including him in the play off squad, Michael O’Neill will through Austin McPhee have had regular reports on his progress towards towards fitness so no reason why his 107 times capped CB should not be included on current evidence.

FFS, folks, we are short of quality players yet some of you are happy to crucify the few we have got even when they are injured!

Wage thief my a**e! Just an honest and outstanding pro who has had a bad run of injuries (and before the negative johnnies jump on me because he is 37, didn’t someone of that age make an a**e of us last weekend?)

Yours in absolute frustration at the negativity on this forum!

4 minutes ago, Marooned Abroad said:

Re AH, every time I have seen him in a Hearts jersey (and that is a lot despite my nom de plume!), he has been a steadying influence on our back line. Souttar for example benefitted hugely by having the guy beside him and only since Hughes has been injured has he regressed. AH strolled through the Aberdeen game and largely due to him we negated anything the second best team in Scotland threw at us.

He’s been injured for God’s sake! That doesn’t make him a wage thief. By all accounts he is training again and might even play on Sunday. I hope he does.

No doubt before including him in the play off squad, Michael O’Neill will through Austin McPhee have had regular reports on his progress towards towards fitness so no reason why his 107 times capped CB should not be included on current evidence.

FFS, folks, we are short of quality players yet some of you are happy to crucify the few we have got even when they are injured!

Wage thief my a**e! Just an honest and outstanding pro who has had a bad run of injuries (and before the negative johnnies jump on me because he is 37, didn’t someone of that age make an a**e of us last weekend?)

All absolutely spot on but you do realise you are pissing against the windbags ?

3 minutes ago, Marooned Abroad said:

Well put MA... can’t disagree with any of that. Hope he is fit enough to play on Sunday! 

8 hours ago, CJGJ said:

He's so happy to be with us that he does his 'personal training sessions' in Manchester

He had a very good career but should not have been anywhere near our club and to extend his deal was another example of just how standards have been allowed to slip.

What amazes me is the attempts by some to still defend him as a player....just madness

He could be the nicest man in the world but he's not being paid for that.

Maybe be he used Skype to be a positive influence on the younger players. 

9 hours ago, Dayman said:

We have a player who is so good he doesn't need to play or train to get called up but we complain instead 

He isn’t playing for us though. 

Do I need to simple it for you?

Rudolf's Mate

Not been a great signing due to injuries however I've no issue with him being called up, even though it did raise an eyebrow. Like others have said, the interesting part will be if he plays and if he's made himself available for us when he returns. I expect if he does play he will be available and that will be the end of that.

A_A wehatethehibs

He’s been a big player for his country over the years, wouldn’t even begrudge him getting a token minute even though he’s injured to break their cap

record - he deserves it.

Clearly with Hearts we’ve got a player who

is well past it but as mentioned when he has played for us he has generally been good - retirement looms large for him now, if we can get 10 more games out of

him before the end of the season we’ve done well. 

Marooned Abroad

Don’t disagree Hearts 1975. According to reports this morning he might play this Sunday. No doubt McPhee has been keeping O’Neill fully in the picture hence he is in the NI squad. Doesn’t mean he will play but don’t you think on this evidence it would have been crazy to leave their 107 cap man out?

Can’t believe some folk on here can’t see the sense of that!

1 hour ago, Marooned Abroad said:

A voice of sanity, well said

23 minutes ago, Marooned Abroad said:

Don’t disagree Hearts 1975. According to reports this morning he might play this Sunday. No doubt McPhee has been keeping O’Neill fully in the picture hence he is in the NI squad. Doesn’t mean he will play but don’t you think on this evidence it would have been crazy to leave their 107 cap man out?

Can’t believe some folk on here can’t see the sense of that!

Sorry point taken MA - I assumed from the previous Post I commented on that he was playing the NI game but was out for Killie 

I remember that Levein said that if he recovered in time for the Killie game then he would be in the NI squad but it all depended on his injury and recovery 

wasnt having a pop at him or being negative  - he's getting on a bit but still got qualities as a player - if he is in the squad due to his experience (caps he has etc) then nothing against that but if he plays then I just think that if your fit enough to play for your Country your fit enough to play for your Club, so if he plays on Sunday no problem with that 

11 hours ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

You honestly think with our current injury crisis that Levein would leave Hughes sitting in the stand if he was fully fit so he could keep himself fit for a Northern Ireland match?

Delusional.

I didnt say anything about Levein. I am talking about Hughes own personal agenda.

If you honestly think his main concern is to get himself fit to play Kilmarnock rather than play for Northern Ireland and break the caps record then it is you that is delusional.

All he cares about is the record and going to Moscow so he can retire after the World Cup.

Hearts are a distant second best to him and that is a fact.

Marooned Abroad

Lambo 85, how do you know what he thinks? Are you psychic? Now if you’d expressed that as your opinion, some of us might have taken you seriously but once again you and your like jump to conclusions.

5 minutes ago, Marooned Abroad said:

Lambo 85, how do you know what he thinks? Are you psychic? Now if you’d expressed that as your opinion, some of us might have taken you seriously but once again you and your like jump to conclusions.

You dont have to be psychic, you just have to open your eyes.

If he fails to make the Kilmarnock game on Sunday but plays a part in NI Qualifier against Switzerland a week tomorrow then "me and my like" have every reason to be hacked off.

16 hours ago, been here before said:

He's got a vast amount of experience at both club and international level which can be used and passed on to other players.

Why wouldnt he be in the squad?

:facepalm:

Spectacularly missing the point.

Why is he called up to play for his country when he's been out of action for months for his club? Surely if he's fit for a crucial World Cup qualfying play-off, he's fit for Hearts v Killie, or suchlike? I'm not suggesting that Hughes is a "wage thief", it's just another source of frustration for us right now. If he plays for NI but can't for us, then we're right to ask why!

11 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

You dont have to be psychic, you just have to open your eyes.

If he fails to make the Kilmarnock game on Sunday but plays a part in NI Qualifier against Switzerland a week tomorrow then "me and my like" have every reason to be hacked off.

100%.

Get him pumped and bring in a player that will play week in week out, someone who doesn't pick which games he wants to play in?

4 hours ago, Marooned Abroad said:

Once again those who have nothing positive to say are out in force!ad a bad run of injuries 

well said.

been here before
2 hours ago, Strachsuit said:

:facepalm:

Spectacularly missing the point.

Why is he called up to play for his country when he's been out of action for months for his club? Surely if he's fit for a crucial World Cup qualfying play-off, he's fit for Hearts v Killie, or suchlike? I'm not suggesting that Hughes is a "wage thief", it's just another source of frustration for us right now. If he plays for NI but can't for us, then we're right to ask why!

You've got a point?

Being called into a squad isnt a prerequisite of actually playing.

For example, and I shall make this spectacularly simple for you, how many full Scotland squads has Jack Hamilton been included in and how many games has he played?

As it stands just now he hasnt played for anyone whilst being injured for Hearts, no-one has confirmed he's fit enough to play for N. Ireland. You're getting your little frilly knickers in a twist over smething thar might not happen, demanding your "right to ask why" about nothing just now, getting "frustrated" at thoughts in your head.

Edited by been here before

One of the many players out of the 50 odd signings under Budge that take much and give little in return.  Not only does he (like most) lack commitment and ability he brings absolutely nothing to the table.  How did we let this happen? How?

After hearing about the very sad loss of Salvatori last night, in my drunken state I put on the Hearts 1998 Cup win on You Tube (not great when you have work early doors next day).  I watched the entire game.  This game should be played to all these wage thieves and parasites and should be a model for future generations.  That is commitment! That is team work! That is what winners look like! 

Watching Stephane Adam chase back to clear up a misplaced pass from Fulton.  Watching our Centre half throw his body into the ball and watching 11 players fight for a cause – heart warming and makes me burst with pride.

I honestly can’t watch these players do this to our club a moment longer – it is gut wrenching!

4 hours ago, Haken said:

Folk moaning about this.  Another international cap just adds to the fee we'll get when we come to sell him.

:arf:

Marooned Abroad
34 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

One of the many players out of the 50 odd signings under Budge that take much and give little in return.  Not only does he (like most) lack commitment and ability he brings absolutely nothing to the table.  How did we let this happen? How?

So he lacks ability does he? How then did he manage to play with distinction in the EPL and get 107 caps? Lacks commitment? Should he have been playing with a calf strain?

Get real please. I understand and share your frustration at how the season is going. However the guy has been injured and when he has been fit our defence is much stronger, as I have already pointed out.

The season is less than a third over, so why don’t we wait a bit longer till he is fit and shoring up our defence again before making outrageous statements about ability!

1 minute ago, Marooned Abroad said:

So he lacks ability does he? How then did he manage to play with distinction in the EPL and get 107 caps? Lacks commitment? Should he have been playing with a calf strain?

Get real please. I understand and share your frustration at how the season is going. However the guy has been injured and when he has been fit our defence is much stronger, as I have already pointed out.

The season is less than a third over, so why don’t we wait a bit longer till he is fit and shoring up our defence again before making outrageous statements about ability!

What relevance does his past ability have to us? Apologies if I am missing something?

Marooned Abroad
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

What relevance does his past ability have to us? Apologies if I am missing something?

Oh dear. I think I should give up. His ability is still good enough for his country but not for Hearts? Don’t make me laugh!

Just now, Marooned Abroad said:

Oh dear. I think I should give up. His ability is still good enough for his country but not for Hearts? Don’t make me laugh!

Call me old fashioned but I judge his ability on the games that we pay him to show it.  He has absolutely none of it.  I could not give the a rat's ass about UEFA Cup finals or 4 zillion caps for Northern Ireland - he is complete horse shit for us.

Marooned Abroad

Sorry, last post aimed at i8hibs. Did you really think he was ‘horse shit’ against Aberdeen? Maybe I was at the wrong game if so.

2 minutes ago, Marooned Abroad said:

I give up on you. Not a positive thought in your head.

Au contraire.  I am getting all mushy eyed on another thread talking about teams of yester year.  I burst with pride every time I hear names like Stefano Salvatori and Stevie Fulton etc.

1 minute ago, Marooned Abroad said:

Sorry, last post aimed at i8hibs. Did you really think he was ‘horse shit’ against Aberdeen? Maybe I was at the wrong game if so.

I think I expect more from a Hearts player than one semi good performance in a year and a half.  That is our problem man, that is it.  Bauben was proobably my stand out player of our Championship season - thought he was outstanding.  He is completely horse shit now though.

Marooned Abroad
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Au contraire.  I am getting all mushy eyed on another thread talking about teams of yester year.  I burst with pride every time I hear names like Stefano Salvatori and Stevie Fulton etc.

Good on you. I enjoyed these times too, as I did when I was lucky enough as a wee boy to stand at the front of the terraces and see Conn Bauld and Wardhaugh etc, having been carried over the turnstiles by my Dad.

I get just as frustrated as you do about some of the s***e we have had to put up with since the beginning of last season, but I draw the line at crucifying a proven player like Hughes.

As we are both Jambos to the bone can we just call it a draw and hope for better things this Sunday? This isn’t doing my blood pressure much good!

Just now, Marooned Abroad said:

Good on you. I enjoyed these times too, as I did when I was lucky enough as a wee boy to stand at the front of the terraces and see Conn Bauld and Wardhaugh etc, having been carried over the turnstiles by my Dad.

I get just as frustrated as you do about some of the s***e we have had to put up with since the beginning of last season, but I draw the line at crucifying a proven player like Hughes.

As we are both Jambos to the bone can we just call it a draw and hope for better things this Sunday? This isn’t doing my blood pressure much good!

Peace out.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

After hearing about the very sad loss of Salvatori last night, in my drunken state I put on the Hearts 1998 Cup win on You Tube (not great when you have work early doors next day).  I watched the entire game.  This game should be played to all these wage thieves and parasites and should be a model for future generations.  That is commitment! That is team work! That is what winners look like! 

Watching Stephane Adam chase back to clear up a misplaced pass from Fulton.  Watching our Centre half throw his body into the ball and watching 11 players fight for a cause – heart warming and makes me burst with pride.

I honestly can’t watch these players do this to our club a moment longer – it is gut wrenching!

Players tend to extenD themselves more than usual in a cup final. Especially when you are winning. I can remember Adam not showing up in league games in Jan/Feb . 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Players tend to extenD themselves more than usual in a cup final. Especially when you are winning. I can remember Adam not showing up in league games in Jan/Feb . 

Our current crop are so far off even reaching a cup final.  Preliminary round exits at the hands of Highland league teams is sadly their level.

Hmm.

So I'm annoyed because its very similar to Djoum's country over club attitude which is infuriating. If Hughes has been fit and is not playing despite the fact we need him, thats a serious dick move and total disrespect to the fans. If he's on a pay as you play contract thats not so bad but still annoying.

I get he's on the cusp of breaking a very impressive record but ffs. I hope his experience off the field is worth this and Souttar, Baur etc. are gaining from it.

6 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

He isn’t playing for us though. 

Do I need to simple it for you?

Because he's injured. How can he play if he's Injured? You think he's pretending he has a pulled hammy to our expert staff and medical team? 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
11 hours ago, Lambo85 said:

I didnt say anything about Levein. I am talking about Hughes own personal agenda.

If you honestly think his main concern is to get himself fit to play Kilmarnock rather than play for Northern Ireland and break the caps record then it is you that is delusional.

All he cares about is the record and going to Moscow so he can retire after the World Cup.

Hearts are a distant second best to him and that is a fact.

You might not be talking about Levein but he is the manager after all.

If Hughes was fit he'd be in the matchday squad. It really is as simple as that.

He's been a disaster of a signing and the contract extension was laughable, oshaniwa was probably more deserving of one! :laugh:

It seems like it's the clubs policy that we need to be wasting thousands of pounds a week on utter shite at any one time. 

On 10/31/2017 at 18:45, Dayman said:

Hes been put in the squad for a game in ten or so days but hasn't played the last couple weeks because of Injury? Do people not realize that injuries heal over time and that a game in 10 days is further in the future than a game last week? Having to simple it down quite a lot here. He's possible to be fit for the game so he's been put in the squad. If fit he will play. What's the issue ? 

He hasn't played since the Dundee game which was on 30 September fully 4 weeks ago. Yes injuries do heal but when you are nearly 38 they take a lot longer.

He should be a Hearts player first and foremost but in his case it seems he is more concerned about getting fit in time to be involved in the NI play offs.

I woud imagine that if he is to be selected for NI then he would perhaos have to play a game before the internationals if only to prove his fitness to Michael ONeill

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 16:43, rudi must stay said:

Maybe he's just there for morale. Has been captain for years so would imagine he is well liked/respected in the dressing room

You should be shot for being so sensible.

You're showing up the knee-jerkers!

I've said before it's like he's using hearts to stay fit for NI, not a great shock seeing as MacPhee is also involved, I struggle to even care anymore tbh, the club is a shambles.

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

He hasn't played since the Dundee game which was on 30 September fully 4 weeks ago. Yes injuries do heal but when you are nearly 38 they take a lot longer.

He should be a Hearts player first and foremost but in his case it seems he is more concerned about getting fit in time to be involved in the NI play offs.

I woud imagine that if he is to be selected for NI then he would perhaos have to play a game before the internationals if only to prove his fitness to Michael ONeill

If he's fit by the northern Ireland game then o Neill can do whatever he likes. He doesn't need to prove his fitness by platomg for us he has medical staff to do that.  He owes absolutely nothing to us on the play off dates. If he's directed by our game he will play. If he's fit by their game he'll play. 

He is not particularly exciting when he does play either - slow, weak in the air, and negative safety first on the ball.  The contract extension was a poor decision.  

It is a shame that Ozturk was pushed out.  If he could have been developed defensively we could have had an excellent blend with Berra.