Aaron Hughes and NI ( merged )

Strachsuit

11 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I think Souttar is dug meat.  You may think differently which of course I fully respect your right to do so.

I could not give a flying **** if Hughes was good last night, or indeed about Northern Ireland - I care about Hearts.  Hughes does not perform well for us, when he actually is available to play.

Lets be honest, not many players we can say play well under this management.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wavydavy

• i8hibsh

• Spencer

• Thomaso

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Lets be honest, not many players we can say play well under this management.

Sadly Gambo, you speak the truth.

Levein used to get the best our of everyone who played under him at Hearts.  Players like Kevin McKenna for example.  He now seems to be bringing the worse out of not just the players but the fans.

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Levein used to get the best our of everyone who played under him at Hearts.  Players like Kevin McKenna for example.  He now seems to be bringing the worse out of not just the players but the fans.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment McKenna went on to play most of his career in the bundesliga so I think it's unfair to use him as an example 

rudi must stay
16 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Always looks better for his country than for us unfortunately. 

I think he has had some great games for Hearts. He likes a battle against tricky forwards, hopefully we get a few years out of him. No reason why we can't if he's still playing 90 minutes at that level

2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment McKenna went on to play most of his career in the bundesliga so I think it's unfair to use him as an example 

He was  a good player but I will quantify my earlier comment with he got the best out of McKenna in every position.  Putting him up front was a touch of genius in some games.

38 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I think he has had some great games for Hearts. He likes a battle against tricky forwards, hopefully we get a few years out of him. No reason why we can't if he's still playing 90 minutes at that level

He played pretty well against Aberdeen but I cant recall another stand out performance.

Captain America
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

If Hughes plays on Sunday we move on.....if he doesn't play we move HIM on!

This is where I am with it.

Shanks said no

I am sure I heard on the radio commentary last night that Hughes may be retiring completely, international and domestic football 

rudi must stay
18 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Correct.

I thought he had a very good game last season in the 0-0 game V Hibs. Dealt with Cummings, I think he's a tricky striker, really well. Less said about the replay the better but we weren't at the races that day

46 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I am sure I heard on the radio commentary last night that Hughes may be retiring completely, international and domestic football 

What a slap in the face that would be!

3 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Rather soapy at CH, that way hes got a player either side to cover his backside.

It hasn't worked previously when he is at fault for conceding goals.

14 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Free him up for the coaching job we will offer.

Yeah right enough we are a bit short on Coaches. How about another coach to coach the coach who's coaching the coaches?

18 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Free him up for the coaching job we will offer.

I'm being petty but I would tell him to **** off, if he wants to quit football.

Maybe could have mentioned this during the transfer window?

Jambof3tornado
6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Yeah right enough we are a bit short on Coaches. How about another coach to coach the coach who's coaching the coaches?

If we bring him in to the 1st team coaching we could end up with a hung parliament on decisions with Levein Daly and MacPhee. Need an odd number!!!

2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

If we bring him in to the 1st team coaching we could end up with a hung parliament on decisions with Levein Daly and MacPhee. Need an odd number!!!

You forgot Fox.

Read this evening that O'Neill "wants" the Scotland job, how long till the media start calling for MacPhee to give up his Hearts role after years of McGhee and McCall actually being managers whilst at Scotland

On 13/11/2017 at 12:03, BigAlim said:

As far as I remember he seemed to play most of his career being relegated from the bundesliga!

1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

Read this evening that O'Neill "wants" the Scotland job, how long till the media start calling for MacPhee to give up his Hearts role after years of McGhee and McCall actually being managers whilst at Scotland

I can only assume O'Neill would put the Scotland job top of his list because it's convenient for him when it comes to living in Edinburgh and also (in light of the fact he's serving a lengthy driving ban) because there won't be as regular a requirement to drive as there would be in, say, a bigger job down south.  While I guess anyone who can end Scotland's 20+ year absence from major tournaments would be a popular choice, I'd be surprised if a guy who could probably take his pick of several better jobs would see the Scotland job as the height of his ambition. He'd spend the first year kicking his heels with no proper fixtures on the horizon. Definitely no reason for MacPhee to give up the day job!

Edited by Mellor

stirlingshirejambo
On 13/11/2017 at 11:43, Lambo85 said:

He played pretty well against Aberdeen but I cant recall another stand out performance.

Rangers at yynecastke

18 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Injured again.

Get the guy punted.

This is spades. It feels like he has played more for Northern Ireland more than us since he has been here. Get him off the wage bill he must be one of our higher earners.

Allowayjambo1874
52 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Injured again.

Get the guy punted.

Now now be fair, he was on his longest playing  run in a hearts shirt this season. Managed to complete one full game and a first half so that’s 135 minutes in a row, must be close to a testimonial surely?

Absolute joke of a signing. 

Probably didn't fancy coming out for the second half, I dont think we have ever had a player injured as much as him but will likely be fit next international week

Total waste of a wage. Missed as many games as he played last season and we reward him with a new contract. His body clearly can’t cope with playing professional football anymore. 

• 1 year later...

Over a year on from the start of this thread, and Aaron Hughes hasn't featured for us since Dunfermline in the League Cup in August. Despite the fact that we have been lacking experience and leadership at the back, and at times have been forced into changing CL's preferred 3-5-2 for two centre halves in Dikamona (who's been far from steady) and Dunne.

So what was the point in re-signing him? 

He was superb when he came on for Christophe when he was injured against Celtic in August so why hasn't he been drafted in during these last three months or so?

Even on Saturday, we played Smith (who was excellent, in fairness) out of position to accommodate Godinho at RWB instead of Smith playing there and Hughes coming into a three with Berra and Dikamona. 

9 minutes ago, Strachsuit said:

Over a year on from the start of this thread, and Aaron Hughes hasn't featured for us since Dunfermline in the League Cup in August. Despite the fact that we have been lacking experience and leadership at the back, and at times have been forced into changing CL's preferred 3-5-2 for two centre halves in Dikamona (who's been far from steady) and Dunne.

So what was the point in re-signing him? 

He was superb when he came on for Christophe when he was injured against Celtic in August so why hasn't he been drafted in during these last three months or so?

Even on Saturday, we played Smith (who was excellent, in fairness) out of position to accommodate Godinho at RWB instead of Smith playing there and Hughes coming into a three with Berra and Dikamona. 

He’s made a couple of sub appearances and been solid in the bargain.  I’ve no problem with him being used rarely now.

If he hadn’t been available to come on for Berra in the mhank game, we would have lost. I’m glad we extended his contract for that alone. That run probably wouldn’t have happened otherwise. 

been here before
11 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

Someone referring to Souttar as "dug meat" earlier in this thread I see 

Gotta love Kickback 

3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I’m bookmarking this thread so I can re-read i8 claim that Souttar is shite. 

Why give him the attention?

6 minutes ago, been here before said:

Why give him the attention?

There are some things that need to be laughed at. That’s 100% one of them. 

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

If he hadn’t been available to come on for Berra in the mhank game, we would have lost. I’m glad we extended his contract for that alone. That run probably wouldn’t have happened otherwise. 

If we hadn’t given him another contract we would’ve had to replace him, so we would’ve had a CH that would’ve done as well. He would also have been fit enough to play more often when required than Hughes has. We have 4 or 5 player whose wages would be better spent on someone that actually contributes on the pitch.

2 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

He’s made a couple of sub appearances and been solid in the bargain.  I’ve no problem with him being used rarely now.

Spot on ?

4 hours ago, EastSideJambo said:

Someone referring to Souttar as "dug meat" earlier in this thread I see 

Gotta love Kickback 

But you've already replied to him and said "to leave it there".

EastSideJambo
29 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

But you've already replied to him and said "to leave it there".

I love how much insight you bring to this forum Al 

Outstanding 

I think he brings a lot more to the squad than just playing, like people above have said he’s been solid when called upon, but I’m sure his knowledge of the game and professionalism has been a big benefit to levein and the youngsters breaking into the squad!