World Cup qualifiers.....

Hendricks

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Just out of genuine interest, why so much hate on here for the Republic's football team. Is it the style or quality of the football? The manager? The nationality qualification issue?

Perhaps Celtic? Often lots of hooped shirts in the Irish support during major finals. Also, our cross city rivals have an affinity/history with Ireland. 

Perfectly reasonable that Hearts supporters are disinclined to cheer them on. 

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Just out of genuine interest, why so much hate on here for the Republic's football team. Is it the style or quality of the football? The manager? The nationality qualification issue?

Hate might be a bit strong for most people. 

In a more global game now Ireland, a foreign country remember, perhaps don't have the same charm and goodwill they had 20 / 30 years ago. 

I tend not to care and just see a terrible, negative side. Maybe Celtic loving stallwart Martin O'Neill as well. 

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Perhaps Celtic? Often lots of hooped shirts in the Irish support during major finals. Also, our cross city rivals have an affinity/history with Ireland. 

Perfectly reasonable that Hearts supporters are disinclined to cheer them on. 

Ah, ok. That would make sense, although I was hoping that there might be a better reason. I have a few Irish friends (non-Celtic/Hibs supporters) so don't mind seeing the Republic doing well at finals, if/when they make it, but have no real affinity to the team.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hate might be a bit strong for most people. 

In a more global game now Ireland, a foreign country remember, perhaps don't have the same charm and goodwill they had 20 / 30 years ago. 

I tend not to care and just see a terrible, negative side. Maybe Celtic loving stallwart Martin O'Neill as well. 

That I can fully understand. :)

24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Racism

Xenophobia

Ignorance

Sectarianism

Basic Neanderthal Stupidity

Take your pick

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

Racism

Xenophobia

Ignorance

Sectarianism

Take your pick

Ireland are pretty shit though

Stole half of the N.Ireland team too 

On a par with Scotland 

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Ah, ok. That would make sense, although I was hoping that there might be a better reason. I have a few Irish friends (non-Celtic/Hibs supporters) so don't mind seeing the Republic doing well at finals, if/when they make it, but have no real affinity to the team.

I'm not overly fussed myself, truth be told. I didn't even know last night's result until I came on to this thread half an hour ago. Just an observation, although, like many, I'm not naturally inclined to cheer on a team in a green shirt with fans in hoops. ;)

6 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Racism

Xenophobia

Ignorance

Sectarianism

Take your pick

Perhaps just football rivalry?

True, Hearts are club football, Ireland international, therefore there shouldn't really be any rivalry between the two but their fans are awfy Celticky. 

:boak:

Watching a shitty negative side that's managed by Martin O'Neill getting pumped does it for me.

Not much time for the Irish fans either, with their "everybody should love us 'cause we like a party".

Like a wee dug looking for a clap.

Bit like the Tartan Army, really.

4 minutes ago, martoon said:

I'm not overly fussed myself, truth be told. I didn't even know last night's result until I came on to this thread half an hour ago. Just an observation, although, like many, I'm not naturally inclined to cheer on a team in a green shirt with fans in hoops. ;)

I have to say that whenever I've seen Irish fans around, in real life or on the telly, the vast majority of shirts are solid green or solid white. However, you're correct, there are always some in Celtic shirts and that's annoying. Celtic are not Ireland and Ireland are not Celtic, despite what Celtic fans may feel about it. Of course, here in Scotland, "Irish" fans watching an international in a pub are almost all nothing of the sort. :)

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Bet we'll still see Scotland flags and tops at the World Cup

There can't be a flag at every non Scotland World Cup match but it often seems that way. :laugh:

11 minutes ago, martoon said:

Perhaps just football rivalry?

True, Hearts are club football, Ireland international, therefore there shouldn't really be any rivalry between the two but their fans are awfy Celticky. 

:boak:

The truth is that football fans and the population at large in the Republic don't give a tuppeny shite about Celtic for the most part. Sure there ARE some but its not as rife as some would have you believe. Your much more likely to see them take an interest in Liverpool clubs or Manchester clubs but, by and large, they're not an football obsessed country like we are. Northern Ireland ? Well that's a different story entirely but your not going to see many Sellik taps at NI games for obvious reasons.

maroonnicky63
Just now, JyTees said:

Highlight of my season so far. Poppy, disrespecting wankstain!

There'll be a hell of a lot of people in the civilised world watching that and thinking exactly what I'm thinking.

could not have put it better myself especially when you consider where he earns his money if he hates people that much bugger of and stop earning a living at a place you have no love or respect for

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

The truth is that football fans and the population at large in the Republic don't give a tuppeny shite about Celtic for the most part. Sure there be some but its not as rife as some would have you believe. Your much more likely to see them take an interest in Liverpool clubs or Manchester clubs but, by and large, they're not an football obsessed country like we are. Northern Ireland ? Well that's a different story entirely but your not going to see many Sellik taps at NI games for obvious reasons.

I think you're right. The Celtic tops are probably, in the main, worn by the phoney Irish; the type redjambo refers too. Born and brought up in the Glasgow area, supports Celtic, went to Cork on holiday once, supped a pint of Guinness...equals bona-fide Irish man. :laugh:

I think you're right. The Celtic tops are probably, in the main, worn by the phoney Irish; the type redjambo refers too. Born and brought up in the Glasgow area, supports Celtic, went to Cork on holiday once, supped a pint of Guinness...equals bona-fide Irish man. :laugh:

Correct. Celtic fans might feel some phoney relationship and affinity with the national team of The Republic of Ireland. Its not generally reciprocated though.

John Gentleman
20 minutes ago, benny said:

2/0 to the Aussie. Penalty kick.

3-1 Final. Agg. 3-1. 

50 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Correct. Celtic fans might feel some phoney relationship and affinity with the national team of The Republic of Ireland. Its not generally reciprocated though.

I witnessed plenty Celtic Taps and ROI Celtic Provisional banter in Ennis Co. Clare a few years back. Don't underestimate these *****.

downunder jambo

Well done Australia. That's 4 World Cup qualifications in a row! Not a bad achievement for a country where "soccer" isn't the main  sport.

Had to get through something like 21 games to qualify too!

7 minutes ago, downunder jambo said:

Well done Australia. That's 4 World Cup qualifications in a row! Not a bad achievement for a country where "soccer" isn't the main  sport.

And some decent air miles 

7 minutes ago, downunder jambo said:

A great few hours especially for gay Australian soccer fans. So much celebrating in so little time.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Well done to Peru.

One of footballs iconic strips too.

They used Fireworks, laser pens and low flying planes to get there apparently. Annoying for New Zealand, but also hilarious :D particularly the planes

19 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

She is absolutely ganting.

I hadn't noticed, my attention was . . . elsewhere.

She even has "my chest" painted on there in Spanish :lol:

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

She is absolutely ganting.

So, you’d kick her out of bed for eating crisps?

:)   

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

So, you’d kick her out of bed for eating crisps?

:)   

She's nothing more than 6/10.

I'm sure Peru has some lovely looking ladies, she's just not one of them.

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

She's nothing more than 6/10.

I'm sure Peru has some lovely looking ladies, she's just not one of them.

Fair enough.

Each to their own :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Peru will be good to watch at the World Cup.

peru-fan_13efe2f5whl2q1emx4ywo9i0sv.png?

She looks the bizzo to me, Morg.

Phil must be a handsome bugger. The bursds must be all over him like a pack of Gib monkeys (only joking Phil ;)). 

The John Lennon lookalike behind her seems to think she's a wee cracker too. 

She looks the bizzo to me, Morg.

Phil must be a handsome bugger. The bursds must be all over him like a pack of Gib monkeys (only joking Phil ;)). 

The John Lennon lookalike behind her seems to think she's a wee cracker too. 

Aye, she's no' bad at all.

'Imagine' being behind that.... :wink:

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Aye, she's no' bad at all.

'Imagine' being behind that.... :wink:

Already have, mate. :laugh:

Any truth to the rumour that the US are organising a tournament for teams who failed to qualify for the world cup. Set to run against the WC. Italy Holland etc...

16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Any truth to the rumour that the US are organising a tournament for teams who failed to qualify for the world cup. Set to run against the WC. Italy Holland etc...

What do you think?

3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

What do you think?

Aye, I think the US would do it. I also think FIFA would ban ever team who takes part.

1 hour ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

I still find it difficult to feel anything but hostility towards Scotland after '78.... 

Ftfy, BB. ;)

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

Peru will be good to watch at the World Cup.

peru-fan_13efe2f5whl2q1emx4ywo9i0sv.png?

Need to be careful with those South American birds that their not packing a meat and two veg. Just sayin likes.

8 hours ago, glynnlondon said:

Need to be careful with those South American birds that their not packing a meat and two veg. Just sayin likes.

Thanks for the warning :)

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
On 14/11/2017 at 21:07, Phil Dunphy said:

That Sisto boy is dugmeat.

Weak in the challenge, no first touch and doesn't look comfortable with the ball.

Absolute nonsense.

Archived