Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Ainsley Harriott
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why would the SNP support anything about brexit, when it's the reason independence will be realised. Oh I do love English /British nationalism. It's given me back my country. 👍

😂😂😂

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Pant wetters everywhere. Ironically most of them support the party that attempted to take Scotland out of the UK and the EU in 2014. 

Yip. 

Only 4 weeks to go until the UK resumes its natural position as a global empire sweeping all before her. 

I'll need to dig out my Charles and Diana tea towel for the hogmanay celebrations. 

Brighton Jambo
16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why would the SNP support anything about brexit, when it's the reason independence will be realised. Oh I do love English /British nationalism. It's given me back my country. 👍

I wasn’t referring to the SNP.  The post I was replying to referenced labour and the Lib Dem’s.  

UK Government has done well getting Covid to the delivery of a vaccine. 

Makes it a bit easier to cope with Brexit starting badly in January. 

manaliveits105
46 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Yip. 

Only 4 weeks to go until the UK resumes its natural position as a global empire sweeping all before her. 

I'll need to dig out my Charles and Diana tea towel for the hogmanay celebrations. 

Here -  in this great Union its the done thing to share 

Royal wedding: Prince William and Kate Middleton tea towels banned by  palace | Prince william and kate, William and kate, Tea towels

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Britannia is the Latin name for your homeland. Wee typo first time around my fellow Brit.

Is it not "Greater" Britannia with the Gaulic region of France being Lesser Britannia? I seem to mind reading that somewhere...not invested enough to Google...

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

UK Government has done well getting Covid to the delivery of a vaccine. 

Makes it a bit easier to cope with Brexit starting badly in January. 

The availability of a vaccine isn't going to alter the shit storm that's coming on 1st January.

I've been following the Road Haulage Assoc on Twitter and they've been calling a spade a spade.

There's already been two exercises of the French trialling their new processes that have resulted in massive tailbacks on the M20 (unsurprisingly, it got little BBC coverage). The IT systems for hauliers are still not usable , wont be ready "fully" until a few days before 01 Jan, the drop-in centres for EU lorry drivers in Kent are getting no callers (the UK guide EU drivers is only published in English anyway).  Gove refused to attend a recent meeting with RHA to discuss these problems.

Many commentators saying UK will simply wave through Dover traffic for possibly 6 months because they just can't cope. 

All bubbling along nicely. 

Leaving the daft flag and tea-towel waving aside, Brexit seems to me to be a politically driven power grab - nothing to do with economics. Whether that is down to xenophobic  jealousy, blind nationalism or naked personal ambition by the likes of Johnson & Gove is open for debate.       

If you believe that global trade is a good thing (where  manufacturers earn a much  bigger turnover than they could by just selling within their  own country),    then you must also believe that European trade is  good thing also.  The EU exists to promote that in a tariff-free & customs-free environment while protecting manufacturers in member countries from fair competition from non-member countries by imposing tariffs on their stuff, (making them harder to sell).  All other   trading blocs are along similar lines.     They can invite "3rd countries" to have a sort of associate membership when it suits them (like Norway).   For some reason, the UK doesn't seem to want the same status that  Norway has.

The UK sea fishing industry is much bigger than it should be, simply because of this - most of its produce is sold into  EU  countries, although that's  also an indictment on our own population for not eating enough seafood.   

The "global Britain" stuff is bollocks unless most of your markets are outside protected trading blocs - and after the AsPac trading bloc agreement last month, that becomes even more difficult.

The left-wing Greek former finance minister Yannis Varoufakis had first-hand insight into the way the EU can act towards its members when his party won power during the Greek debt crisis 8 years ago. When asked his opinion during the Brexit referendum, his simple advice was "If you are a member, stay a member ........ but if you're thinking of joining, don't".

Edited by Lone Striker

4 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Always the pessimist 

Its the effin tories. Are you zipped up the back?

Edited by Pans Jambo

manaliveits105

Prime Minister has full backing of cabinet for a no deal 

heading that way with the French especially trying to stab us in the back as we leave - feck em well rid 

42 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

heading that way with the French especially trying to stab us in the back as we leave - feck em well rid 

The French - the Auld Enemy - actively trying to scupper a deal. They want 10 years guaranteed continued access to British fishing waters, at existing levels. It was bad enough Barnier expecting us to sign up to "equal playing field rules" on state aid but he wanted an exemption for the EU post-pandemic but NOT for the UK. What a feckin cheek. Which British PM in their right mind would sign up to that? The EU will be no more in a few years. The absurdity of their rules has been laid bare in these talks and there are a few agitators in there that want out. The huge hole in their budget, with the UK leaving, will also be problematic for them. The single currency was a political concept that was never going to work for both richer northern countries and poorer southern ones. We are simply the first to go, the project itself is doomed imo.

6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The French - the Auld Enemy - actively trying to scupper a deal. They want 10 years guaranteed continued access to British fishing waters, at existing levels. It was bad enough Barnier expecting us to sign up to "equal playing field rules" on state aid but he wanted an exemption for the EU post-pandemic but NOT for the UK. What a feckin cheek. Which British PM in their right mind would sign up to that? The EU will be no more in a few years. The absurdity of their rules has been laid bare in these talks and there are a few agitators in there that want out. The huge hole in their budget, with the UK leaving, will also be problematic for them. The single currency was a political concept that was never going to work for both richer northern countries and poorer southern ones. We are simply the first to go, the project itself is doomed imo.

The auld alliance, get it right. 

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Independence! English stabbing us in the  front for 300+ years, will be no more. 

Tick Tock Traitors! 

Edited by ri Alban

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Independence! English stabbing us in the  front for 300+ years, will be no more. 

Tick Tock Traitors! 

:lol:

manaliveits105
51 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

:spoton:

Remember reading this thread a couple of years ago thinking it was a bit far fetched....not so much now.

Anyway, the Tories will be eternally grateful; knowing that a nation full of useful idiots will buy the narrative of a no deal  caused because of EU intransigence.

So not very clued up on this but will labour not just call a vote of no confidence ? ( or equivalent) 

I don't know the numbers but would imagine there is still a wing of the conservatives who will not be best pleased with no deal !!

Toxteth O'Grady
2 minutes ago, steve123 said:

So not very clued up on this but will labour not just call a vote of no confidence ? ( or equivalent) 

I don't know the numbers but would imagine there is still a wing of the conservatives who will not be best pleased with no deal !!

There wouldn't be enough of them willing to risk their jobs

28 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Im sure the Brexiteers will delighted at this news...hate to say I told so but...I told you so!

F2EEBF38-03DA-4C9C-8A1B-A7140BBF1F65.jpeg

I more than suspect that the hurt to the UK will be severe. I also believe there will a revolt by the public when the pain and suffering becomes evident. 
I just wonder how easy it would be to rejoin the EU albeit losing some of the clout we once had. 

Edited by Boy Daniel

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Im sure the Brexiteers will delighted at this news...hate to say I told so but...I told you so!

That probably doesn't even scratch the surface of the immediate, medium and long term impacts of this Tory ideology which will be felt by every single person on these islands. 

Fuddery of the highest order. 

34 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That probably doesn't even scratch the surface of the immediate, medium and long term impacts of this Tory ideology which will be felt by every single person on these islands. 

Fuddery of the highest order. 

Yep, and there are STILL some who lap up their spin. It's the fault of the French now.

The Mighty Thor

Various sources reporting an updated version of 'reasonable worse case scenarios' from Jan 1st. 

A bit TL:DR as none of the highly likely issues highlighted in the Operation Yellowhammer document of two years ago have been mitigated. Not one. 

6 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

😲    Just wondering .....   in the increasingly likely event of no trade deal, will anyone.... ANYONE .....  put their hand up and actually admit to  misleading the British people  from day 1 of the EU referendum campaign ?    

(No need to answer a  rhetorical question ! )       

Boris's Brexit government has another 4 years to go - can they really survive what should be a vehement backlash from much of the public,  by just repeating ad nauseam that the blame lies with the EU, France, Covid, BBC, Theresa May, Donald Tusk,  Andrew Neil, Jean-Claude Juncker, Nicola Sturgeon, Leo Varadkar, Tony Blair ........ maybe even the voters !!   Anyone but themselves.

Edited by Lone Striker

Seems we have reached an agreement about the fish.

Just the rather tasty matter of how far the UK can diverge from the EU on things like state aid and worker's rights before they slap punitive tariffs on us to go........

8 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Healthcare is already documented - Brexiters  don't want foreigners spongeing off the NHS for free so the EU countries have done likewise with their health systems. I was talking to an English guy in Spain and he said he was looking at £300 per month for health insurance. No wonder they didn't get to vote in the ref. 

manaliveits105
4 hours ago, Cade said:

Seems we have reached an agreement about the fish.

Just the rather tasty matter of how far the UK can diverge from the EU on things like state aid and worker's rights before they slap punitive tariffs on us to go........

It’s all about the bass 

So the drama continues with the pound up and down like a yo yo whenever a deal is or isn't in the wind. All bluff, bluster, posturing and brinkmanship. What absolute bollocks it all is. Both parties will be far better off with a deal than without one. It's just a matter of who blinks 1st and gives ground. Despite having no love for the EU and even less for Bawjaws and his 2 predecessors and their party, I still voted remain. 

They just don't want anyone to leave and prosper, or at least not unduly suffer. Because if they do cope okay, there's a good chance others will also leave the EU. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-55211021

33 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

So the drama continues with the pound up and down like a yo yo whenever a deal is or isn't in the wind. All bluff, bluster, posturing and brinkmanship. What absolute bollocks it all is. Both parties will be far better off with a deal than without one. It's just a matter of who blinks 1st and gives ground. Despite having no love for the EU and even less for Bawjaws and his 2 predecessors and their party, I still voted remain. 

They just don't want anyone to leave and prosper, or at least not unduly suffer. Because if they do cope okay, there's a good chance others will also leave the EU. 

Anyone remember "no deal is better  than  bad deal ?"

One of the ERG chumps said TODAY "We actually do hold all the cards"

:rofl:

The only cards the UK is holding are Mr Bunn the Baker, Advance to Mayfair and a Joker.

14 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

That seems to be the main reason behind the "level playing field" demand, yes.           

Macron's reported hard line about demanding normal fishing quotas in UK waters seems pure brinksmanship (or maybe extreme brass neck) ......  since a no-deal gives France and the other EU fishing fleets no access at all.      One benefit of a no-deal would be a big reduction in fishing pressure in UK waters - no EU vessels, and a reduced UK fleet due to the difficulty of selling their catch into the EU at a price which folk would be be willing to pay - and this would lead to an improvement in  stocks of many species which are currently struggling.

There's also an uncomfortable  irony about all this.   The EU  is all about economic benefit and development for its members    i.e. increased consumption by "the marketplace".   Yet the biggest threat to humanity is the effect of climate change (which is increasing).  Even just slowing down that increase will require massive lifestyle changes for us all - which will most likely require us to consume less.   In other words, reduce demand ......  buy less sh1t.    And that's just to reach the carbon zero position  (currently a target for 2050) to stop things getting worse.   

(Admittedly, the UK has to face this reality too)

The Mighty Thor

Olympic standard xenophobic blow hard Peter Bone running through the ERG playbook on C4 news tonight. 

Do the Europeans have a cadre of such characters or is this a quintessentially English byproduct of public school buggery and sexual repression? 

58 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Macron's reported hard line about demanding normal fishing quotas in UK waters seems pure brinksmanship (or maybe extreme brass neck) ......  since a no-deal gives France and the other EU fishing fleets no access at all.      One benefit of a no-deal would be a big reduction in fishing pressure in UK waters - no EU vessels, and a reduced UK fleet due to the difficulty of selling their catch into the EU at a price which folk would be be willing to pay - and this would lead to an improvement in  stocks of many species which are currently struggling.

There's also an uncomfortable  irony about all this.   The EU  is all about economic benefit and development for its members    i.e. increased consumption by "the marketplace".   Yet the biggest threat to humanity is the effect of climate change (which is increasing).  Even just slowing down that increase will require massive lifestyle changes for us all - which will most likely require us to consume less.   In other words, reduce demand ......  buy less sh1t.    And that's just to reach the carbon zero position  (currently a target for 2050) to stop things getting worse.   

Yip, the irony seems to bypass the "more growth, more people" brigade , that climate change has been caused by over-population. The same group that advocate unlimited immigration while simultaneously whinging about lack of housing and NHS pressures.  Some in the SNP actually now suggest paying, yes PAYING, people to have children.  That would work out well🤔

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yip, the irony seems to bypass the "more growth, more people" brigade , that climate change has been caused by over-population. The same group that advocate unlimited immigration while simultaneously whinging about lack of housing and NHS pressures.  Some in the SNP actually now suggest paying, yes PAYING, people to have children.  That would work out well🤔

Will it get backdated you think???

:munny:

Some folk on here STILL actually beleive:

A) A tory Brexit will be wonderful.

or

B ) Anything negative about the whole sorry affair is somehow “ wee krankies” fault.

Deluded 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Aahh, the wee girning, greeting, whinging Ayrshire parasite. 

Parasite? Aye I remember the £Billions of pounds of contracts she handed out to all her pals paid for by the tax payer to supply PPE & line her own pockets via relatives....no wait! That was the tories. Wasnt it?

Boris got telt to phone Ursula today.

After 90 mins of talking, he then got on a plane to Brussels.

Summoned to the headmistresses office.

4 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

The EU has no issue with the UK leaving and prospering, but the EU has no business allowing the UK or any other third-party country access to its markets in a way which damages the operation of the Single Market. The UK made the decision to become a third-party entity (like Russia, China and others), and those countries don't get preferential access to the EU's single market unless they trade something back. 

manaliveits105
8 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Good post 

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )