Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

The Commission signed an advance supply agreement for the AstraZeneca Oxford vaccine in August.  The deal is for a minimum of 300 million doses, but the delivery could run to 400 million.  That's twice as many doses as the EU has ordered from Moderna.  The EU has also signed deals with CureVac, Johnson & Johnson, Sanofi-GSK and Pfizer-BioNTech (and there may be others I've missed) for up to two billion doses.  The view is that all of these will be needed to ensure a sufficient supply.

As you correctly point out, at least they're not bitter.

Yes. The EU rightly spreading  its bets.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

If someone's well read we call them an intellectual, he's certainly that. He's also an elitist prick and a fool of course, no one's arguing with that.

No one's said the EU's always right.

Of course not.

32 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yes. The EU rightly spreading  its bets.

Yep.  The UK Government has done likewise, with pre-orders from 5 or 6 companies.  It's a logical strategy.

I was talking with my own GP about this yesterday (while having my flu jab), and he said a couple of things that interested me.  He reckons most countries will have multiple vaccines in stock for different purposes, so the easy to store vaccines might be distributed locally to GPs and public health nurses while the trickier vaccines would be given to the public in health centres, hospitals and maybe even specially purposed locations.  He also said that for practical purposes there's no real difference between a vaccine that is 70% effective and one that's 90% effective, as long as there's a high enough take-up in the population.  And he reckons there should be at least 6 and possibly up to 10 different vaccines licensed within about 3-4 months.  He also said these were just his guesses based on what he's been reading, but it was interesting to hear a medic's take on it.

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

:lol: Beautiful dismantling of the usual utter pish.

Jaysus, it gets a bit blitz spirit and the 1966 World Cup sometimes, doesn't it?

AstraZeneca isn't a British company; it's an international company headquartered in the UK.  The company has global research centres in the UK, the United States and Sweden, and manufacturing plants in countries all over the world.

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Jaysus, it gets a bit blitz spirit and the 1966 World Cup sometimes, doesn't it?

Hah, to say the least. And of course Boris has been barking along those lines all along.

Mr. Johnson expressed optimism about the vaccine, developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University, noting that it “has the makings of a wonderful British scientific achievement.”

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

AstraZeneca isn't a British company; it's an international company headquartered in the UK.  The company has global research centres in the UK, the United States and Sweden, and manufacturing plants in countries all over the world.

. . . So, this was a sadly funny headline to read this morning:

After Admitting Mistake, AstraZeneca Faces Difficult Questions About Its Vaccine

AstraZeneca has acknowledged a key mistake in the vaccine dosage received by some study participants, adding to questions about whether the vaccine’s apparently spectacular efficacy will hold up under additional testing.

Scientists and industry experts said the error and a series of other irregularities and omissions in the way AstraZeneca initially disclosed the data have eroded their confidence in the reliability of the results.

:sad: I hope this turns out to be a very minor setback.

10 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Gosh... this is getting quite confusing for simpletons like me.   😪      So if indyef2 results in yes, and we join the EU having left the UK, who will we be pro and who will we be  anti ?    It's probably important to know, just so that no-one  ends up on riAlban's bus by accident.  🙄

Canfit everyone on the bus, LS. 

But no need to worry, no one will be left behind. 

29 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

All aboard!!! 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95273bbbce0e5f235a923

cool.  Whats all the new rules for the fishing industry, hopefully no more dead fish getting wasted.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Canfit everyone on the bus, LS. 

But no need to worry, no one will be left behind. 

:wow:     

There's been several genocides around the world in the last 100 years, all of which have been severely denounced by the UN etc.   Punitive sanctions & criminal trials usually follow.    Debateable whether another one would help the reputation of a newly independant Scotland.......:whistling: 

16 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

:wow:     

There's been several genocides around the world in the last 100 years, all of which have been severely denounced by the UN etc.   Punitive sanctions & criminal trials usually follow.    Debateable whether another one would help the reputation of a newly independant Scotland.......:whistling: 

There'd be a new Spitting Image but with campy Scottish accents instead...

Francis Albert
On 26/11/2020 at 07:32, Justin Z said:

Hah, to say the least. And of course Boris has been barking along those lines all along.

Mr. Johnson expressed optimism about the vaccine, developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University, noting that it “has the makings of a wonderful British scientific achievement.”

. . . So, this was a sadly funny headline to read this morning:

After Admitting Mistake, AstraZeneca Faces Difficult Questions About Its Vaccine

AstraZeneca has acknowledged a key mistake in the vaccine dosage received by some study participants, adding to questions about whether the vaccine’s apparently spectacular efficacy will hold up under additional testing.

Scientists and industry experts said the error and a series of other irregularities and omissions in the way AstraZeneca initially disclosed the data have eroded their confidence in the reliability of the results.

:sad: I hope this turns out to be a very minor setback.

British PM talking up the (sort of) British vaccine. While of course ordering every other potentially successful vaccine.

Seems fair.

12 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

British PM talking up the (sort of) British vaccine. While of course ordering every other potentially successful vaccine.

Seems fair.

A UK government unit is said to have demanded that the British flag be printed on Oxford vaccine doses

The UK government's "Union Unit" is said to have insisted that the coronavirus vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford should be labeled with the UK flag

There is a line, somewhere, between national pride and jingoism. This is pretty close to on a par with Trump insisting his signature be on the stimulus check that went out. But not like you to spin it :lol:

Edited by Justin Z

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

A UK government unit is said to have demanded that the British flag be printed on Oxford vaccine doses

The UK government's "Union Unit" is said to have insisted that the coronavirus vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford should be labeled with the UK flag

There is a line, somewhere, between national pride and jingoism. This is pretty close to on a par with Trump insisting his signature be on the stimulus check that went out. But not like you to spin it :lol:

They could also have printed "Rule Brittania."😁

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

You may have a fault with your spin detector Justin. My post was more unspinning than spinning. First pointing out that Astra Zeneca is only a "sort of" British company". And that we are spreading our bets by buying every vaccine that's going (like everywhere else). And I am not sure I can get too upset about Johnson as we enter the choppy post Brexit waters  bigging up one of the few world class industries we still have.

I agree the Union Jack idea goes too far although national labelling of products would hardly be new. And even if I thought the idea a good one  I'd certainly wait until the vaccine is fully tested and approved and shown in the field not to kill people or have serious side effects.

CavySlaveJambo

So the pro brexit papers now full of people complaining about what was said 4 years ago.  The queues to get through passport control and the 90 days in 180 limits.  

SectionDJambo
38 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

So the pro brexit papers now full of people complaining about what was said 4 years ago.  The queues to get through passport control and the 90 days in 180 limits.  

Wait until their booze and fags entitlement gets cut for holiday travel back from EU countries.

The Mighty Thor

51 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Quality reporting from the Daily Heil. 'New Brexit Rules'........eh naw, its the rules that apply to every country that's not an EU member. 

Project fear though 😄

Edited by The Mighty Thor

CavySlaveJambo
12 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Wait until their booze and fags entitlement gets cut for holiday travel back from EU countries.

And the amount of souvenirs too. 

9 hours ago, Cade said:

UK reduces it's fishing demands as talks come down to the wire.

Not a surprise, really.    All sides need to keep a "soft" red line or 2  in reserve,  ready to sacrifice some of it to get things moving after a stalemate.  Presumably this is a semi-fudge to set up a governance process over the extent of EU  fishing in UK waters in exchange for no tariff selling  into the EU. 

Very good piece by Polly Toynbee in the Guardian today - basically describing the UK's soft Brexit cabinet as having had to learn the reality of the actual consequences of Brexit while luckily having had the media glare deflected away from it due to Covid.     She was 99.9% sure that a trade deal would happen - much to the annoyance of the ERG nutters - because Boris is in a tight corner due to the economic collapse caused by Covid.   He can't afford a further collapse due to Brexit tariffs.   A bout of  political cheerleading  at the announcement of a deal would drown out the ERG complaints  ....  most  hard-of-thinking voters would  fall for it and wave their UJ's  triumphantly too  ...... while the likely chaos of lorry queues at the ports in January can be ignored for a few weeks.

History will not be kind to either side in the referendum campaign. 

10 hours ago, Cade said:

UK reduces it's fishing demands as talks come down to the wire.

Macron willing to go for no deal - he doesn't want his fisherman rioting either.

37 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

She was 99.9% sure that a trade deal would happen - much to the annoyance of the ERG nutters - because Boris is in a tight corner due to the economic collapse caused by Covid.   He can't afford a further collapse due to Brexit tariffs.   A bout of  political cheerleading  at the announcement of a deal would drown out the ERG complaints  ....  most  hard-of-thinking voters would  fall for it and wave their UJ's  triumphantly too  ...... while the likely chaos of lorry queues at the ports in January can be ignored for a few weeks.

History will not be kind to either side in the referendum campaign. 

Hence all the trolling of Starmer about getting Labour to support the deal (whatever that is).

Hopefully Starmer can convince his MPs to abstain and we can get the popcorn in to watch the civil war break out in the Torybrexit party. The Clown wants Starmer to vote it through to drown out the potential/probable dissent in his own party. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

manaliveits105
4 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Macron willing to go for no deal - he doesn't want his fisherman rioting either.

The cheese eating surrender monkeys can do one 

34 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The cheese eating surrender monkeys can do one 

👍 Cool, thanks for opening the xenophobe door. 

What do no voting surrender monkeys eat? Their overlords man milk or do they just take that up the arse. 

Edited by ri Alban

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Trade deal negotiations to commence from Friday. Fishermen sold down the river. Ha ha! 

Where are you seeing this ?

Brighton Jambo

A no deal increasingly likely from everything I am reading and hearing at work.  Politically it’s only ever been the outcome that can get the Tories re-elected.  

So disappointing, a deal with some concessions could have put the whole thing to bed, aside from a few Tory Brexiteers moaning for a few weeks and we could have gone into the new year with a deal and a vaccine.  The next few months are going to be carnage.  

Sincerely hope I am wrong and will be seriously pissed  if we let bloody fishing be the cause.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Konrad von Carstein

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

A no deal increasingly likely from everything I am reading and hearing at work.  Politically it’s only ever been the outcome that can get the Tories re-elected.  

So disappointing, a deal with some concessions could have put the whole thing to bed, aside from a few Tory Brexiteers moaning for a few weeks and we could have gone into the new year with a deal and a vaccine.  The next few months are going to be carnage.  

Sincerely hope I am wrong and will be seriously pissed  if we let bloody fishing be the cause.  

Disclosure;  I am a Remain voter, however, I just cannot get my head around the seeming utterly blinkered determination of the Tories to "achieve" no deal with no regard for the associated shitemare that will cause - to my mind it is madness utter madness.

Don't normally agree with much you post, however, you are on the money with the above!!

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Few years more like 

13 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Where are you seeing this ?

BBC news. Now they are saying the chances of it are receding. 

The fishermen will never be happy unless its a complete no deal and they get 100% control of the waters and the amounts they can catch. 
Flip side is a no deal fecks everyone else!

Read that fishing supports 4000 - 5000 jobs and is 0.01% of the economy ( The acadia group by itself emplys 3 times as much).

Seems fair we should all pay heed to them then!

Edited by Pans Jambo

10 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

The fishermen will never be happy unless its a complete no deal and they get 100% control of the waters and the amounts they can catch. 
Flip side is a no deal fecks everyone else!

Read that fishing supports 4000 - 5000 jobs and is 0.01% of the economy ( The acadia group by itself emplys 3 times as much).

Seems fair we should all pay heed to them then!

They wouldn't be happy with that either as without a deal there would be tariffs on fish going to the EU and guess where 70% of fish exports go

Edited by Smithee

manaliveits105

snp have never been supportive of Scottish fishing and if got Indy would roll over and take the EU boabie ( if they let us in)and not give a jot for the fishermen

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

They wouldn't be happy with that either as without a deal there would be tariffs on fish going to the EU and guess where 70% of fish exports go

Yip.

26 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

snp have never been supportive of Scottish fishing and if got Indy would roll over and take the EU boabie ( if they let us in)and not give a jot for the fishermen

Most (not all) of the fishing industry in Scotland I speak to as part of my job send their product to the EU and voted to remain.

Lets have 4000 or so folk tell 5.5 Million where our priorities lie though eh?

Edited by Pans Jambo

Brighton Jambo
13 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Disclosure;  I am a Remain voter, however, I just cannot get my head around the seeming utterly blinkered determination of the Tories to "achieve" no deal with no regard for the associated shitemare that will cause - to my mind it is madness utter madness.

Don't normally agree with much you post, however, you are on the money with the above!!

If you don’t agree with much that I post that must mean you are an independence supporter and a supporter of the current Scottish government.  I don’t post much else in the shed.

How can Brexit be a bad idea (I am also a remainer) but independence be a good one?  I just don’t get that at all, both are lunacy and will impact massively on the economic well-being of the country.  

26,000 people in the retail sector lost their jobs this week.

The response?

"that's just market forces"

But to benefit 8,000 people that work in the fishing industry we're going to destitute the other 70million people on this island?

:cornette:

Brighton Jambo
Just now, Cade said:

26,000 people in the retail sector lost their jobs this week.

The response?

"that's just market forces"

But to benefit 8,000 people that work in the fishing industry we're going to destitute the other 70million people on this island?

:cornette:

Absolutely, it’s just completely insane.  The level of focus on fishing industry is absolutely disproportionate.  

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Absolutely, it’s just completely insane.  The level of focus on fishing industry is absolutely disproportionate.  

Its totally bogus as has been proven on this thread countless times over the last 3 years. 

Brexit is purely a case of a small group of people and companies who stand to make a killing from the economic carnage no deal will bring being fronted as an ideology by a group of the most disingenuous politicians ever to poison the public discourse. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )