Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Turkey and France disagreement getting quite serious now - with Turkey banning French goods - wheels are coming off EU 

glad United Kingdom (their gravy train) are leaving .

:laugh: 

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 23/10/2020 at 23:33, Francis Albert said:

OK you old tease. Why?

Sorry, missed this.  I wasn't teasing.  I was asking the question in the hope that "105" might comment on the topic at hand.  A few journos commented that the EU negotiators seemed quite pleased, but with no explanation why.  The deal was laid out six weeks ago, and the EU reaction then was that it was exactly what they expected, which suggests that their reaction now should be "yeah, fine" rather than "quite pleased". 

3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Turkey and France disagreement getting quite serious now - with Turkey banning French goods - wheels are coming off EU 

:laugh2: Aye, the EU will be done any day now

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:laugh2: Aye, the EU will be done any day now

I'm sure if the French stopped it with this moral "We don't think it's right that folk should be encouraging the beheading of our teachers for promoting freedom of expression" malarkey, I'm sure the EU would survive a bit longer. ;)

manaliveits105

There are already other countries thinking of having referendums and a few pissed off at way corona funding was allocated 

the thought of Turkey getting in could be last straw for some

1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

There are already other countries thinking of having referendums and a few pissed off at way corona funding was allocated 

It would be more accurate to say there are movements in every country, but of course there are.

I'm sure the majority in these countries will be encouraged by the enormously successful example we're setting though :laugh2:

4 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

:rofl: 

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

It would be more accurate to say there are movements in every country, but of course there are.

I'm sure the majority in these countries will be encouraged by the enormously successful example we're setting though :laugh2:

giphy.gif

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Sorry, missed this.  I wasn't teasing.  I was asking the question in the hope that "105" might comment on the topic at hand.  A few journos commented that the EU negotiators seemed quite pleased, but with no explanation why.  The deal was laid out six weeks ago, and the EU reaction then was that it was exactly what they expected, which suggests that their reaction now should be "yeah, fine" rather than "quite pleased". 

Thanks. I should try not to read into posts more than they say!

Edited by Francis Albert

Lissen up dingus, Turkey aint getting into the EU.

They've been an applicant for nearly 40 years and have met ONE of the 33 Chapter requirements they need to meet to gain membership.

And the one they have met is science and research. They've got a couple of decent Universities. That's it.

Free movement of goods
Freedom of movement for workers
Right of establishment and freedom to provide services
Free movement of capital
Public procurement
Company law
Intellectual property law
Competition policy
Financial services
Information society and media
Agriculture and rural development
Food safety, veterinary and phytosanitary policy
Fisheries
Transport policy
Energy
Taxation
Economic and monetary policy
Statistics
Social policy and employment (including anti-discrimination and equal opportunities for women and men)
Enterprise and industrial policy
Trans-European networks
Regional policy and co-ordination of structural instruments
Judiciary and fundamental rights
Justice, freedom and security
Education and culture
Environment
Consumer and health protection
Customs union
External relations
Foreign, security and defence policy
Financial control
Financial and budgetary provisions
Institutions
Other issues

ALL nowhere near ready.

After 40 years.

Turkey aint getting in.

The Mighty Thor
18 minutes ago, Cade said:

Lissen up dingus, Turkey aint getting into the EU.

They've been an applicant for nearly 40 years and have met ONE of the 33 Chapter requirements they need to meet to gain membership.

And the one they have met is science and research. They've got a couple of decent Universities. That's it.

Free movement of goods
Freedom of movement for workers
Right of establishment and freedom to provide services
Free movement of capital
Public procurement
Company law
Intellectual property law
Competition policy
Financial services
Information society and media
Agriculture and rural development
Food safety, veterinary and phytosanitary policy
Fisheries
Transport policy
Energy
Taxation
Economic and monetary policy
Statistics
Social policy and employment (including anti-discrimination and equal opportunities for women and men)
Enterprise and industrial policy
Trans-European networks
Regional policy and co-ordination of structural instruments
Judiciary and fundamental rights
Justice, freedom and security
Education and culture
Environment
Consumer and health protection
Customs union
External relations
Foreign, security and defence policy
Financial control
Financial and budgetary provisions
Institutions
Other issues

ALL nowhere near ready.

After 40 years.

Turkey aint getting in.

But but vote leave said the UK would be overwhelmed with immigrants likesy 

You ken who IS going to come here?

Hong Kong citizens, as the UK played a ridiculous political game of offering all HK people special UK Visas and so far there are over 3 million applicants.

The Government's own estimates put the figure at between 500,000 and 1milllion HK immigrants over the next 5 years.

"But we're full up" "Need to look after our own" "Britain for British"

:fonzie:

Francis Albert

Can't think of anything much that would improve the UK more than the immigration of hard working ambitious and well.educated people from Hong Kong.

Far from being a ridiculous political game the decision to give some at least  Hong Kong citizens an escape route from the despotic Chinese regime is a rare example of decency in the UKs  post Empire policy. Like that offered to Ugandan Asians decades ago.

Edited by Francis Albert

14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Can't think of anything much that would improve the UK more than the immigration of hard working ambitious and well.educated people from Hong Kong.

Far from being a ridiculous political game the decision to give some at least  Hong Kong citizens an escape route from the despotic Chinese regime is a rare example of decency in the UKs  post Empire policy. Like that offered to Ugandan Asians decades ago.

Leaving aside for a moment my views about the relationship between the EU and the UK, I think offering some kind of access to the UK to HK citizens makes sense.  Aside from being a tactically smart move, it's also the right thing to do.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The Cockerel/Gallic Rooster will punch the Turkey's heid in. 

Exports to the EU account directly for in or around 9% of Turkey's economy.  Exports to Turkey account directly for something like 0.4% of the EU's economy.  Politics is all about the numbers.

Erdogan's just sabre rattling.

Picking quarrels with the French, opening beaches on Cyprus, playing naval games with the Greeks; anything to distract from his misadventures in Syria/Kurdistan.

4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Exports to the EU account directly for in or around 9% of Turkey's economy.  Exports to Turkey account directly for something like 0.4% of the EU's economy.  Politics is all about the numbers.

I suppose he's still threatening to allow Tom, dick and Harry access to Europe via Turkey. Is that even a threat. 

manaliveits105
12 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Correct with the exception of Americans most nationalities would improve the country 

jack D and coke

Brexit. The only deal in history where we started with free trade and decided what barriers to erect to trade:lol: 

The first 9 minutes explain things pretty well. 
I say this as someone who went from a starting position of brexit being a good idea. It’s done now but imo it’s not good for the U.K. We had a sweet deal that would never be offered if we attempted to get back in.
Any deal we sign with any country has to be agreed with the EU first too. We can’t have a better deal with anyone than they/we already had...a bit daft eh. 

Francis Albert

The first sentence of JD&C's post is a rather sweeping and simplistic view of history which has not seen a smooth transition from protectionism to free trade. Free trade was probably the most contoversial issue in UK politics in the 19th and into the 20th century and things did not always move in one direction. Even today free trade has hardly won a conclusive victory. Even the EU maintains strong protectionism for its agricultural sector to the great detriment of farmers in poorer parts of the world. And of course the EU is far more than a free trade area with still greater ambitions for the project.

jack D and coke
31 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The first sentence of JD&C's post is a rather sweeping and simplistic view of history which has not seen a smooth transition from protectionism to free trade. Free trade was probably the most contoversial issue in UK politics in the 19th and into the 20th century and things did not always move in one direction. Even today free trade has hardly won a conclusive victory. Even the EU maintains strong protectionism for its agricultural sector to the great detriment of farmers in poorer parts of the world. And of course the EU is far more than a free trade area with still greater ambitions for the project.

I won’t pretend it’s perfect Francis, it is not. I was pretty pro brexit in the beginning. The further you delve in though being outside it whilst being bound by a lot of its rules and regulations, considering the sweet deal the uk had, doesn’t make a lot of sense. We could veto and push back on things we didn’t agree on and attempt to get others on board. 
But it’s done and we’ll see I guess. 

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I won’t pretend it’s perfect Francis, it is not. I was pretty pro brexit in the beginning. The further you delve in though being outside it whilst being bound by a lot of its rules and regulations, considering the sweet deal the uk had, doesn’t make a lot of sense. We could veto and push back on things we didn’t agree on and attempt to get others on board. 
But it’s done and we’ll see I guess. 

Isn't life just wonderful just now. 

😭

jack D and coke
22 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

😭

Haha it’ll be wonderful come Saturday evening pal I feel it in my bones😉

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I hope so.

Need something to cheer us up and that definitely will.

jack D and coke
22 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

😭

Department for International Trade tweets about Soy Sauce getting cheaper due to the UK's new trade deal with Japan.

But we already pay 0% on soy sauce imported from Japan as part of the EU anyways.

So at best it'll stay the same.

And Kikkoman soy sauce is mostly made in the Netherlands.

So if it's No Deal then that gets a 6% tariff on it.

And a good deal of the other soy sauce brands the UK consumes is made in South Wales.

So no change there either.

The people in charge don't have a feckin clue!!!

Edited by Cade

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Department for International Trade tweets about Soy Sauce getting cheaper due to the UK's new trade deal with Japan.

But we already pay 0% on soy sauce imported from Japan as part of the EU anyways.

And a good deal of the other soy sauce brands the UK consumes is made in South Wales.

Looks a good deal for Japan

https://jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2020102400381

EPA with Japan to Cut British Tariff on "Pocky" by 31 Pct

London, Oct. 23 (Jiji Press)--The British government said Friday the tariff on imports of Japanese chocolate snack "Pocky" will go down by up to 31 pct once the Japan-Britain economic partnership agreement comes into effect.
   Osaka-based confectionery maker Ezaki Glico Co.'s <2206> Pocky, popular in not only Japan but also Britain and other parts of the world, was among the flagship Japanese products named to be subject to lower tariffs in a British government report on the estimated economic effects of the EPA.
   British import tariffs will be reduced by up to 13 pct for udon noodles, 22 pct for bluefin tuna, 60 pct for Kobe beef and 6 pct for soy sauce, according to the report.
   The impact assessment of the bilateral pact, released Friday, suggested that Japanese exporters will benefit more from the deal than British exporters will do.
   The EPA is estimated to raise British exports to Japan by 17.2 pct, or 2.6 billion pounds, and Japanese exports to Britain by 79.9 pct, or 13 billion pounds, in about 15 years compared to the 2019 levels, the report noted.

(2020/10/24-16:49)

On 26/10/2020 at 19:09, manaliveits105 said:

When is Turkey EVER getting into the EU? Wont happen. There may be further referendum's regarding EU membership but it will be very easy to dissuade anyone other than brain washed, low IQ, right wing fanatical idiots from voting for it...Just look at the UK...a complete basket case!!!

4 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Looks a good deal for Japan

https://jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2020102400381

EPA with Japan to Cut British Tariff on "Pocky" by 31 Pct

London, Oct. 23 (Jiji Press)--The British government said Friday the tariff on imports of Japanese chocolate snack "Pocky" will go down by up to 31 pct once the Japan-Britain economic partnership agreement comes into effect.
   Osaka-based confectionery maker Ezaki Glico Co.'s <2206> Pocky, popular in not only Japan but also Britain and other parts of the world, was among the flagship Japanese products named to be subject to lower tariffs in a British government report on the estimated economic effects of the EPA.
   British import tariffs will be reduced by up to 13 pct for udon noodles, 22 pct for bluefin tuna, 60 pct for Kobe beef and 6 pct for soy sauce, according to the report.
   The impact assessment of the bilateral pact, released Friday, suggested that Japanese exporters will benefit more from the deal than British exporters will do.
   The EPA is estimated to raise British exports to Japan by 17.2 pct, or 2.6 billion pounds, and Japanese exports to Britain by 79.9 pct, or 13 billion pounds, in about 15 years compared to the 2019 levels, the report noted.

(2020/10/24-16:49)

Pocky?

Oh aye my cupboards full of the stuff. I will sleep better tonight knowing I might get my Pocky and noodles a bit cheaper FFS :vrface:

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Pocky?

Oh aye my cupboards full of the stuff. I will sleep better tonight knowing I might get my Pocky and noodles a bit cheaper FFS :vrface:

Erra macaroon bars!
Erra spearmint chewing gum!
Erra pocky!

It's the future 😂

SectionDJambo
9 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

When is Turkey EVER getting into the EU? Wont happen. There may be further referendum's regarding EU membership but it will be very easy to dissuade anyone other than brain washed, low IQ, right wing fanatical idiots from voting for it...Just look at the UK...a complete basket case!!!

Turkey have been used by the Brexit people as the bogey men for years. Quite apart from Greece never being likely to agree to them joining, Turkey and France aren't buddies at the minute either.

They will never join the EU. They are not anywhere near typical of a European country.

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Erra macaroon bars!
Erra spearmint chewing gum!
Erra pocky!

It's the future 😂

:lol:

Brexiteers will be all over this. 

"Pocky, now the UK's number one selling confection".

4 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Turkey have been used by the Brexit people as the bogey men for years. Quite apart from Greece never being likely to agree to them joining, Turkey and France aren't buddies at the minute either.

They will never join the EU. They are not anywhere near typical of a European country.

:spoton:

You'd be surprised at the Greek attitude, but I imagine that opinions have hardened against Turkey even further since this 2017 review.

https://www.dw.com/en/turkey-eu-relations-which-countries-are-for-or-against-turkish-accession/a-40381533

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Cade said:

That tweet from DIT is a total car crash. 

Wonder how Liz Truss is getting on flogging the cheese?

On 27/10/2020 at 12:17, jack D and coke said:

:yas:

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That tweet from DIT is a total car crash. 

Wonder how Liz Truss is getting on flogging the cheese?

Not going well

image.jpeg.cb12cee834199f208d6c23f8776ec3f8.jpeg

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, Cade said:

So we might get real Soy sauce from Japan not Soy sauce made in the Netherlands?

Who knows HP sauce might get made  in the UK again.

Looking on the bright side!

6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

So we might get real Soy sauce from Japan not Soy sauce made in the Netherlands?

Who knows HP sauce might get made  in the UK again.

Looking on the bright side!

Why would soy sauce from Holland not be real. 

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252491144/Not-enough-time-to-get-software-ready-for-end-of-Brexit-transition-period-warns-industry

I see the software guys have told the government that it's not possible to have the new customs systems in place in time as they haven't been given the detailed specs they need.

And even if it was possible, there isn't enough time to roll out, test and educate the new processes, not to mention the fact that some of the info they need hasn't even been agreed yet.

I'm starting to think something big's going to give, possibly we'll go begging for an extension of this transition period. The UK physically won't be ready in time.

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252491144/Not-enough-time-to-get-software-ready-for-end-of-Brexit-transition-period-warns-industry

I see the software guys have told the government that it's not possible to have the new customs systems in place in time as they haven't been given the detailed specs they need.

And even if it was possible, there isn't enough time to roll out, test and educate the new processes, not to mention the fact that some of the info they need hasn't even been agreed yet.

I'm starting to think something big's going to give, possibly we'll go begging for an extension of this transition period. The UK physically won't be ready in time.

The Pandemic will decide. There'll be an extension. 

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

But but but...there's adverts on the telly telling businesses to "get ready" for Brexit.

"Got it...Good".

Are you saying that our imperial masters in Westminster have made a dogs arsehole of it all???

I would be highly suspicious of you if you were indeed suggesting such a thing sir.

9 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

But but but...there's adverts on the telly telling businesses to "get ready" for Brexit.

"Got it...Good".

Are you saying that our imperial masters in Westminster have made a dogs arsehole of it all???

I would be highly suspicious of you if you were indeed suggesting such a thing sir.

Jesus no, the facts must be wrong, there's no other explanation. It simply couldn't be Westminster making a rip roaring **** of the whole thing, who would believe that??

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

Jesus no, the facts must be wrong, there's no other explanation. It simply couldn't be Westminster making a rip roaring **** of the whole thing, who would believe that??

FFS boys you know the drill. 

Its project fear, sunlit uplands, easiest deal ever etc etc.

😂😂 With the SG's reputation in tatters, the NS deity worshippers have retired to the Brexit thread to lick each others arses better.

Never mind compatriots, all those nasty traitors will be getting prosecuted for slagging off the SG in their own homes soon enough.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )