Go and get Tommy Wright

rick witter

Thunderstruck

Getting a club like St Johnstone consistently into the top 4 and consistently into Europe as well as winning the Scottish Cup is no mean feat.

In Scotland, it isn't difficult, it really isn't. The quality of football is dreadful; it's all thud and blunder.

For that reason, it should not be difficult to find the right mix of players and management to succeed. That Hearts hasn't achieved that since 14/15 is a product of inept management at all levels combined with a lack of patience among some, repeat some, supporters.

We had the basis of a solid team in 15/16 but it all fell apart after one cup-tie against the wee team. Occasional defeats against smaller teams can be tolerated but lose a game to city rivals and banners are towed across the sky and heads must roll. Good players, many better than we currently have, are let go for reasons at best obscure and, at worst, unfathomable.

This is a football team, not an experiment in sports science. We need to get back to basics and quickly. Wright may or may not be the answer but someone needs to be appointed and the midfield and pace deficiencies (already acknowledged within management) addressed.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folk really over estimate the draw we are.

I don't think so mate. We're the 3rd best supported with a soon to be great stadia and potentially the income is 3rd best.

Fact is at the moment it's a complete shambles but if we look over the fence it's a fantastic opportunity as long as we can sort out the Levein situation

Watt-Zeefuik

I don't know if he's the answer but I'd take him over Pressley, Hartley, Daly, Czaba, and Davies in a heartbeat.

Honestly should have gone after him at the end of the season. :(

Why would he want it now when the transfer window is about to shut? If I were him i'd take one look at our squad and stay where I am

I don't know if he's the answer but I'd take him over Pressley, Hartley, Daly, Czaba, and Davies in a heartbeat.

This is it in a nutshell if we end up with the choices listed above what are we doing? Is it cross our fingers and hope for the best ? I'd rather take that chance with someone like tw.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Yep. But hey, he wasn't good enough for us, apparently.

:rolleyes:

Tommy Wright will not be long at St Johnstone. Other clubs will be taking notice. Bigger clubs than Hearts. Anne Budge has got much right in her time at Tynecastle but can surely see that a crisis is looming which will set the club back years. The decision making on football issues has been appalling. Neilson was pushed out. Cathro should have gone at the end of last season but didn't. He went after being allowed to sign players in the close season. The transfer window closes this week we have a malfunctioning midfield and no head coach having been rejected by experienced professionals who could have done the job. At very least she should be finding out what it would take to bring Wright to Tynecastle. Delay is inexcusable

In Scotland, it isn't difficult, it really isn't. The quality of football is dreadful; it's all thud and blunder.

For that reason, it should not be difficult to find the right mix of players and management to succeed. That Hearts hasn't achieved that since 14/15 is a product of inept management at all levels combined with a lack of patience among some, repeat some, supporters.

We had the basis of a solid team in 15/16 but it all fell apart after one cup-tie against the wee team. Occasional defeats against smaller teams can be tolerated but lose a game to city rivals and banners are towed across the sky and heads must roll. Good players, many better than we currently have, are let go for reasons at best obscure and, at worst, unfathomable.

This is a football team, not an experiment in sports science. We need to get back to basics and quickly. Wright may or may not be the answer but someone needs to be appointed and the midfield and pace deficiencies (already acknowledged within management) addressed.

It didn't go wrong after the cup defeat, it went wrong before when Sow left. He was the only player we had with real pace and was never replaced

Budge was a season ticket holder before she took control. How can she not see how bad the director of football set up is? A manger and assistants are all that's needed at HMFC.

Pasquale for King

Hibs thought Butcher was the right man. Wright has no expectations so doesn't have the same level of pressure from the stands.

I've been saying for weeks that he would be our Butcher, absolute dinosaur when it comes to bringing youths through or encouraging the academy. If he is so good why is he still there?

I'd be very hesitant.

AlphonseCapone

I don't think so mate. We're the 3rd best supported with a soon to be great stadia and potentially the income is 3rd best.

Fact is at the moment it's a complete shambles but if we look over the fence it's a fantastic opportunity as long as we can sort out the Levein situation

Don't get me wrong, we have the biggest untapped potential in the country. But the way we operate at times must put a lot of talented managers off.

BUT!   BUT!

His team rolled over in the League Cup!!!

Can you imagine the furore on here if he'd come at the beginning of the season and that had happened to us under his watch?

Geoff Kilpatrick

BUT!   BUT!

His team rolled over in the League Cup!!!

Can you imagine the furore on here if he'd come at the beginning of the season and that had happened to us under his watch?

His team was good enough to not have to play the group stage that we turned into a farce.

The way i see it is as long as CL is DOF there is no way Tommy Wright or any other experienced manager will except the job, any new experienced manager coming in will want his own coaching staff and own scouting system put in place.

CL IMO is holding us back. until AB changes things we're in deep shit.

Nelly Terraces

Whether Wright would be a good appointment for Hearts is up for debate, what isn't though is his record in charge of St Js - he's done a very good job there on threadbare resources & seems to be an astute man manager & tactiician as well wich are pretty much the 2 key elements of being a football manager. Fair play to the bloke, he's done brilliantly in the past few years.

Mars plastic

Whether Wright would be a good appointment for Hearts is up for debate, what isn't though is his record in charge of St Js - he's done a very good job there on threadbare resources & seems to be an astute man manager & tactiician as well wich are pretty much the 2 key elements of being a football manager. Fair play to the bloke, he's done brilliantly in the past few years.

A prehistoric dinosaur who has regularly been handing us our arses, finished above us last season and currently has 6 more points than us, including a draw at parkhead, a place where we were swept away a few weeks ago.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Says "eye-bleeding" = cretin.

Tommy Wright is a no-brainer. Csaba Laszlo would also be an excellent appointment.

We need someone who will get the best out of the squad. You want to win and also do it in style?

Go watch Barcelona! Sick of all this pish. Reality check required.

bean counter

Can we please stop this " go get Tommy wright " nonsense. I work with a guy thats a St Johnstone supporter and he always says Wright sets his teams up no to get beaten. Hes fed up with it.

He does not set them up to win he sets them up not to get beaten.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

yup

neilson picked a bespoke team for that game on the back of Tommy wrights comments (neilsons words so might not be true)

Tommy Wright reeled him in, won the game and openly laughed about it in the post match interview

that Tommy Wright

could do worse than having him on our side

unfortunately I doubt he'd come to hearts for a number of reasons, him apparently being about 10th choice won't help our case

Can we please stop this " go get Tommy wright " nonsense. I work with a guy thats a St Johnstone supporter and he always says Wright sets his teams up no to get beaten. Hes fed up with it.

I don't know how any St Johnstone fan can be unhappy with what Tommy Wright has achieved for them. Your mate must be very hard to please. Top 4 every year European football and a Scottish cup win.

Out of interest who would you go for as manager because there is no doubt in my mind we would be a better side with someone like Wright in charge.

The way perceived circumstances seem to be, and the more I think about it, Robertson would be a great shout.

We all love Robbo, he would lift our mojo, bring in a couple of decent midfielders and we have some hope for the season.

?I would have bought Cathro  a new jacket after the hibs replay.

bean counter

I don't know how any St Johnstone fan can be unhappy with what Tommy Wright has achieved for them. Your mate must be very hard to please. Top 4 every year European football and a Scottish cup win.

Out of interest who would you go for as manager because there is no doubt in my mind we would be a better side with someone like Wright in charge.

After finally accepting McClaren and O'Neill and Boothroyd were not realistic I wanted Freedman. I though he had the experience but was not an "old" manager. He seems to have developed young talent and had a reasonable level of success.

After finally accepting McClaren and O'Neill and Boothroyd were not realistic I wanted Freedman. I though he had the experience but was not an "old" manager. He seems to have developed young talent and had a reasonable level of success.

I would have taken Freedman also but to not even consider one of the most proven managers in our own league is ridiculous in my opinion.

This talk of him not being able to develop young players is nonsense aswell. In any case we don't seem to be managing that very well ourselves at this moment in time we keep adding players to the under 20 squad but they have been brought into the under 20s from other teams.

It will be interesting to see who gets the job but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

I'm a St.Johnstone fan and that's nonsense. Yesterday we played with two full backs down the right hand side - your mate probably thought that was to "not get beaten" but it was quite clearly a very clever tactic to contain the threat of Tierney and Sinclair and for around 70 minutes it worked an absolute treat. Tommy Wright is VERY good at analysing what other teams are good at and setting our team out to nullify opposition threats. That's not the same as "setting up not to lose". It would be fair to say we set up to stop teams playing and it's fair enjoyable to listen to the moaning of opposition managers on that front. As if you win matches by letting the other team play the way they want to play...

On the wider, general point. I would be amazed if TW left us to manage at Hearts under the current set up there and I don't think Craig Levein is going anywhere. There would be significant compensation required also. We don't need the money and he's more important to our success than any of the players so I think it's a non-starter. The only way we would play ball on this would be if TW himself stated he wanted to go.

Mars plastic

This might sound a bit radge but I'm fairly sure the whole point of football is not to get beat.

This might sound a bit radge but I'm fairly sure the whole point of football is not to get beat.

Hahaha!

Honestly shocks me there's a Saints fan alive that wouldn't be happy with Tommy Wright and what he's achieved here. The guy sounds like an absolute roaster.

Was listening to the radio yesterday and at 1-0 up with Celtic piling in the pressure to get back into the game what did Wright do? Stuck another man up front to go with a front 2 in order to give Celtic something to think about.

OK, they didn't manage to hang on for the win but I thought it was bold tactics at the time. Maybe not the predictable dinosaur many are thinking?

Mars plastic

Hahaha!

Honestly shocks me there's a Saints fan alive that wouldn't be happy with Tommy Wright and what he's achieved here. The guy sounds like an absolute roaster.

Indeed. I think the boy in the work is a figment of his imagination.

What's the football like at your place as we seem to have a number of fans who appear to watch yous on a regular basis given their opinions?

Special Agent Dale Cooper

How anybody would turn their nose up at TW is beyond me. His record, with the resources available to him, is terrific.

It wont happen for a couple of reasons, but when compared with Hartley, Daly, Levein or Pressley its no contest.

Hahaha!

Exactly what I replied mate Hearts are not achieving what your manager has achieved year in year out on a fraction of the budget we will have. Any St Johnstone fan not happy with their teams acheivements has a screw loose lol!!

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Was listening to the radio yesterday and at 1-0 up with Celtic piling in the pressure to get back into the game what did Wright do? Stuck another man up front to go with a front 2 in order to give Celtic something to think about.

OK, they didn't manage to hang on for the win but I thought it was bold tactics at the time. Maybe not the predictable dinosaur many are thinking?

pre-match when all the pundits were giving St Johnstone no chance TW was having none of it

he said something along the lines of Celtic are very good etc but that they would lose one day, his team had done well against them before, he expected to do well again and they had a better chance than most of beating Celtic

they didn't win and were probably lucky but they seems like they went there to win rather than just roll over to the mighty Celtic

definitely not the sort we want hanging around our club

Indeed. I think the boy in the work is a figment of his imagination.

What's the football like at your place as we seem to have a number of fans who appear to watch yous on a regular basis given their opinions?

I would say the way many people describe us - "workmanlike", "hard to beat" etc are accurate and fair assessments but I don't see these as bad qualities. They're clearly the polar opposite of bad qualities. We are very good defensively, every player knows their role in the side and every player works tirelessly in matches. It's a real team effort. Having said that we do have talented footballers in the likes of Wotherspoon, Scougall and O'Halloran. Some of the football being played in the middle of the park yesterday was a joy to watch and we were really playing right through Celtic. At no point yesterday did we lump it long. I'd say that's the single biggest cliche opposition fans come out with about us.

We've had O'Halloran and Swanson playing wide for us over the last 3-4 years. We had Stevie May in there too. What I really appreciate about us is that we are capable of producing good football but we also know how to "win ugly". We very rarely lose from winning positions. Seeing out matches is an absolute specialty of this group of players. I do see opposition fans criticise our tactics but I have never walked away from a match thinking "I'd rather have watched pretty football and a defeat today" - that's absolute nonsense. No offence to any of you guys but I'd far rather be walking up to McDiarmid Park for my football fix these days than Tynecastle, Tannadice, Ibrox etc. Big stadiums, "untapped potential" and 20,000 fans don't win matches, Scottish cups or qualify you for Europe 5 seasons out of 6 seasons.

Mars plastic

I would say the way many people describe us - "workmanlike", "hard to beat" etc are accurate and fair assessments but I don't see these as bad qualities. They're clearly the polar opposite of bad qualities. We are very good defensively, every player knows their role in the side and every player works tirelessly in matches. It's a real team effort. Having said that we do have talented footballers in the likes of Wotherspoon, Scougall and O'Halloran. Some of the football being played in the middle of the park yesterday was a joy to watch and we were really playing right through Celtic. At no point yesterday did we lump it long. I'd say that's the single biggest cliche opposition fans come out with about us. We've had O'Halloran and Swanson playing wide for us over the last 3-4 years. We had Stevie May in there too. What I really appreciate about us is that we are capable of producing good football but we also know how to "win ugly". We very rarely lose from winning positions. Seeing out matches is an absolute specialty of this group of players. I do see opposition fans criticise our tactics but I have never walked away from a match thinking "I'd rather have watched pretty football and a defeat today" - that's absolute nonsense. No offence to any of you guys but I'd far rather be walking up to McDiarmid Park for my football fix these days than Tynecastle, Tannadice, Ibrox etc. Big stadiums, "untapped potential" and 20,000 fans don't win matches, Scottish cups or qualify you for Europe 5 seasons out of 6 seasons.

Cheers, dude. How I wish that was written by a hearts fan.

Jambof3tornado

So we'd have got a point yesterday instead of F all?

I was hoping he was going to take off MacLean, leave O'Halloran up on his own as an out ball and bring on another midfielder to freshen up the legs in the middle. The additional striker was definitely an attempt to win the match. Wright is an inspiration and instills belief in the fans and the players that anything is possible. Celtic give me the fear because they are streets ahead of everyone else but as a St.Johnstone fan to be able to go to Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Aberdeen and expect my team to have just as good a chance of winning the game as the opposition - that's down to TW.

Tynecastlesmychurch

Even tho we won't get Wright at least we can watch his saintees smash popcorn teeths Real Madrid wanna bees after the international brake.

You no silver linings and all that...

Maybe Ann will anounce Sergio as manager!

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I would say the way many people describe us - "workmanlike", "hard to beat" etc are accurate and fair assessments but I don't see these as bad qualities. They're clearly the polar opposite of bad qualities. We are very good defensively, every player knows their role in the side and every player works tirelessly in matches. It's a real team effort. Having said that we do have talented footballers in the likes of Wotherspoon, Scougall and O'Halloran. Some of the football being played in the middle of the park yesterday was a joy to watch and we were really playing right through Celtic. At no point yesterday did we lump it long. I'd say that's the single biggest cliche opposition fans come out with about us.

We've had O'Halloran and Swanson playing wide for us over the last 3-4 years. We had Stevie May in there too. What I really appreciate about us is that we are capable of producing good football but we also know how to "win ugly". We very rarely lose from winning positions. Seeing out matches is an absolute specialty of this group of players. I do see opposition fans criticise our tactics but I have never walked away from a match thinking "I'd rather have watched pretty football and a defeat today" - that's absolute nonsense. No offence to any of you guys but I'd far rather be walking up to McDiarmid Park for my football fix these days than Tynecastle, Tannadice, Ibrox etc. Big stadiums, "untapped potential" and 20,000 fans don't win matches, Scottish cups or qualify you for Europe 5 seasons out of 6 seasons.

sounds by and large like an Alex macdonald team - I'd quite like that again

unfortunately unless he plays inverted wingers, rotating dross midfielders, talks about projects, unsuccessfully tries to play mind games, treats derbies like any other game , promises massive reactions week after week, comes across like he's some sort of analytical genius, talks to the fans like they re idiots then he's no future at the hearts

neilson and Cathro that's the sort of progressive geniuses we entrust our club to these days

Tommy Rex more like

His team was good enough to not have to play the group stage that we turned into a farce.

And then get gubbed!!!

Tommy Wright would be a good manager for us but if we have the cash to pay compo then Alan Archibald for me.

Wishful thinking while Levein is still pissing about at the club though.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Tommy Wright would be a good manager for us but if we have the cash to pay compo then Alan Archibald for me.

Wishful thinking while Levein is still pissing about at the club though.

Neilson had Alan Archibald on toast. Just as Tommy Wright had Neilson's number.

Tommy Wright > Robbie Neilson > Alan Archibald

Apart from a purple patch Archibald has done nothing worthy of consideration imo.

Neilson had Alan Archibald on toast. Just as Tommy Wright had Neilson's number.

Tommy Wright > Robbie Neilson > Alan Archibald

Apart from a purple patch Archibald has done nothing worthy of consideration imo.

I think he'd be a good appointment personally.

This. Plus he has no record at all with development of young players and St Johnstone's style of play is eye bleeding. Wright isn't the answer.

Sold Irvine/May/Halloran for ???s.

He's got a better track record than anyone currently employed by us.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

I think he'd be a good appointment personally.

Currently rock bottom with 0 points.

Not for me.

Currently rock bottom with 0 points.

Not for me.

4 points behind us and cuffed us last season.

Archived