Go and get Tommy Wright

rick witter

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'd be lucky to get the likes of Wright with his good record with the fermers.

Millwall signed Lomas and the whispers were the real force at saints was tommy wright.

Lomas was a disaster and saints won the cup and have continually punched above their weight.

Not good enough for us ? really ? Deary me.

I didn't mean because of Levein. Why would he want to leave a team playing well to manage a cluster **** like hearts.

He's got it made in Perth.

Fair point JDH. That may well be the case which is pretty worrying given we are a far bigger club.

We'd be lucky to get the likes of Wright with his good record with the fermers.

Millwall signed Lomas and the whispers were the real force at saints was tommy wright.

Lomas was a disaster and saints won the cup and have continually punched above their weight.

Not good enough for us ? really ? Deary me.

Exactly mate constantly has them punching above their weight in the league. Win the cup and in Europe every year on a fraction of our budget. I think he would be great for us. Daly could probably stay on at under 20 level also.

Sadly we will pick Daly or Presley and this whole sad state of affairs will happen again in six month time

Nucky Thompson

Any other top 4 club in Scotland who were looking for a manager would have approached St Johnstone about Wright weeks ago

I heard the conversation with Tommy Wright when discussing Hearts and the DoF role and TW said he had no problem with working under a DoF (which was obvious surely; grinds my gears when folk say a manager wouldn't work under a DoF as they'd be ruling themselves out of half the jobs in the English top flight) but wasn't sure he could work in the structure at Hearts.

Given that Leveins role is supposed to be defined to assist the manager and aid in recruitment, that shouldn't be a barrier to any manager. If Leveins remit overstretches that then he has to change that or move aside.

Anyway I doubt TW would move to Hearts as I assume he would be a shoo-in to replace O'Neill as NI manager.

Quite amusing reading this thread. Many wanting TW as manager because he consistently delivers top 4 results. Quite a few not wanting him because the football is eye-bleeding. No surprise we have a wide variance of opinion on jkb.

Just to bring some sanity to the debate we are in the position we are today because we lost( some would say hounded out) a much younger manager who consistently gave us top 4 or better results however many thought the football played by his teams was eye-bleeding.

If Nielson wasn't what we wanted how can anyone make a case for TW being a step up. Even less than the usual teaspoonful of common sense on here tonight it seems.

Any other top 4 club in Scotland who were looking for a manager would have approached St Johnstone about Wright weeks ago

Are you seriously suggesting Celtic or Rangers would want Tommy Wright as their manager?

This. Plus he has no record at all with development of young players and St Johnstone's style of play is eye bleeding. Wright isn't the answer.

Whereas at the moment our team is full of promising youngsters and we're playing lovely football

That will be that then.

If you believe Michael Stewart doesn't have an anti-Levein agenda. Unfortunately he does.

Nucky Thompson

Are you seriously suggesting Celtic or Rangers would want Tommy Wright as their manager?

Rangers would certainly consider him if they were looking for a manager today as would Aberdeen and Hibs

Rangers would certainly consider him if they were looking for a manager today as would Aberdeen and Hibs

Doubt it. Hibs -top4?? Not for a long time. Just admit you were wrong. For once! You made a silly comment. Completely unable to justify it. Just admit you messed up.

Nucky Thompson

Quite amusing reading this thread. Many wanting TW as manager because he consistently delivers top 4 results. Quite a few not wanting him because the football is eye-bleeding. No surprise we have a wide variance of opinion on jkb.

Just to bring some sanity to the debate we are in the position we are today because we lost( some would say hounded out) a much younger manager who consistently gave us top 4 or better results however many thought the football played by his teams was eye-bleeding.

If Nielson wasn't what we wanted how can anyone make a case for TW being a step up. Even less than the usual teaspoonful of common sense on here tonight it seems.

Getting a club like St Johnstone consistently into the top 4 and consistently into Europe as well as winning the Scottish Cup is no mean feat.

Nucky Thompson

Doubt it. Hibs -top4?? Not for a long time. Just admit you were wrong. For once! You made a silly comment. Completely unable to justify it. Just admit you messed up.

It's only an opinion, keep your hair on.

In terms of size, Hibs are top 4, bigger than Aberdeen. Every team in the Premiership apart from Celtic would consider Tommy Wright. Obviously apart from Craig Levein

Winston Ingram

Whereas at the moment our team is full of promising youngsters and we're playing lovely football

Given the younger players in academy at present, it's going to be a major part of our near future thankfully. If presided over by the right people...

portobellojambo1

Michael Stewart (I think) just said on Off the Ball that Wright told him this week that he wouldn't work under the current Hearts structure.

He has told anyone that has asked him that this is his position, he doesn't have a problem in coming to Tynecastle but will not do so while the DoF is in place .

John Findlay

With or without a DOF imho Tommy Wright won't be the righT fit at Tynecastle. St Johnstone are his club and where he fits best. Tommy Wright is not for Hearts and, Hearts are not for Tommy Wright.

It's only an opinion, keep your hair on.

In terms of size, Hibs are top 4, bigger than Aberdeen. Every team in the Premiership apart from Celtic would consider Tommy Wright. Obviously apart from Craig Levein

So you say two of the top four would consider taking Wright yet you keep saying top four would take him or top four except Celtic would take him. Do you think as you type? I doubt any of them would take him, maybe Hibs at a push. That's one out of top 5 biggest clubs.

Boot Levein and get Wright

This would unite the support undoubtedly. With Levein there the won't be Wright though.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

So you say two of the top four would consider taking Wright yet you keep saying top four would take him or top four except Celtic would take him. Do you think as you type? I doubt any of them would take him, maybe Hibs at a push. That's one out of top 5 biggest clubs.

yeah nobody wants a successful manager especially not an old successful manager

he'll be lucky to get the mk dons job when neilson moves on to arsenal

Nucky Thompson

Ok to make it clearer. If Rangers, Hibs or Aberdeen were looking for a manager at this minute they would seriously consider Tommy Wright.

In my opinion

fabienleclerq

Ok to make it clearer. If Rangers, Hibs or Aberdeen were looking for a manager at this minute they would seriously consider Tommy Wright.

In my opinion

Correct.

Howdy Doody Jambo

I cannot understand why we haven't at least interviewed him.

think we're skint, it would cost a few hundred grand in compo

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I cannot understand why we haven't at least interviewed him.

Permission required

I agree....

In my opinion

What do you mean they wouldn't be looking at Cathro or Pressley?

Whether we go for Wright or not the stark differences between how a tiny club like St Johnstone and the 3rd biggest club in Scotland, Hearts, are being run in terms of the football side is unbelievable. 

Whilst St Johnstone squeeze every last drop from their meagre resources, and remember they struggle to get 3000 home fans through the doors, we, with our 14,000 ST holders and 8000 FoH subscribers flounder around in such an incompetent and abysmal manner it is completely bewildering. We are a total shambles on the pitch.

As a club we are massively underachieving. We have no clue how to recruit players on a consistent basis, we sign bunches of players who are no better than what we already have, we have some totally ludicrous and unworkable footballing setup which is completely unnecessary for a club of our size and will never be a success and we constantly fail to utilise our resources thus handicapping and self harming ourselves. St Johnstone have a structure and do everything to give the best opportunity to their manager to succeed. We have lost all sense of what is even best for the club.

The next few days will tell us everything about Ann Budge and whether she has any clue whatsoever as to how to turn around the football side of things.

100% spot on.  Great post.

We must have some money in the pot.

We bid 100k for Cadden and was Freedman going to work for bottle tops?

Nobody knows for sure , but I think we will make contact with St Johnstone early next week , but not sure a deal will be done , think the farce will continue a bit longer . If seems to be the way of things atm .

Sexton Hardcastle

If he did someone get brought in he would have a matter of hours to sign players.

Likely end up with Murray the crook Davidson or Steven chocolate knee McLean.

Rather take a gamble on anyone else.

Wright is a good spfl manager that is undeniable. There's a move for a bigger job than SJ. I reckon someone is going to get a decent manager there. Classic start at a smaller club and punch above your weight gets you a move to a bigger club.

I think he can do better than us amazed no one is sniffing around, year after year he pulls it out of the bag. Either everyone else is continually shite which lets him nick Europe on the budget he has or maybe just maybe he ain't the dinosaur some think he is. In Scottish football to boot dinosaur central.

He doesn't fit the football snobbery that surrounds Hearts.

Anyway, he's got a team with guts and players who do the key things reasonably well considering the spending power of St Johnstone.

Would he fancy a rebuilding job at Tynie given the circumstances?

I actually think he would.

I'm amazed I managed to post all that I've been on clynelish whisky for hours. It dulls the pain highly recommended ????

Archived