Stand by (a bit longer yet) for an announcement

Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Budge is happy with the job he is doing then she is very out of touch.

With all due respect, she will see the job that he's doing, whilst you and I will not. Other than the first team that is.

With all due respect, she will see the job that he's doing, whilst you and I will not. Other than the first team that is.

If that's correct then get him to **** away from making an arse of the first team and let him concentrate on these other jobs he is doing so well!

What if Snakey gets the job, you still be saying Levein is doing a good job?

BobbyJenkins

Yip, that is where i have been all along, we do not need a DOF.

We might not need one now, assuming youth structure is now in place, but I think it was vital short-medium term post-admin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Budge is happy with the job he is doing then she is very out of touch.

Budge is a seriously successful business woman and she will I imagine have seen the shortcomings in the job Gardiner for instance was doing in his role. But she is no football expert and has put all her trust in Levein to guide her, has likely had a friendly relationship with him over the years given his various positions at Hearts from player, to manager etc and is being led by him. I have little doubt thats the case. If we go down the Daly route than its very evident that he is pulling all the football strings and is easily able to manipulate her to his thinking in that regard.

If that's correct then get him to **** away from making an arse of the first team and let him concentrate on these other jobs he is doing so well!

What if Snakey gets the job, you still be saying Levein is doing a good job?

I would like him to step back from the first team and concentrate on the other stuff too.

BobbyJenkins

The amount of shite thrown at budge re her alleged inability to spot someone not up to the job or being out of line is poor stuff and laughable.

I would like him to step back from the first team and concentrate on the other stuff too.

But you said he was doing a good job so why you wanting him to take a step back?

Watt-Zeefuik

I don't get the seethe for the DoF model. Budge has made very clear she's a businesswoman and a fan but does not know the ins and outs of managing a football club. If we got rid of the DoF position she would be the one interviewing managers and deciding who was going to take the reigns of the footballing side of the club.  And in this day and age, managers leave clubs like us on a regular basis to move on to bigger things when they're successful.  If we could keep a manager for 5-10 years then it would be fine but managers are hired away and sacked regularly now.

Whether Levein is the right man for the job or not I fail to see the problem with having a football-knowledgeable person who acts as the interface between the business side of the club and the football side. That leaves the head coach to be worried about players and formations and opponents without having to think about contract terms and agents.  I don't understand why the man on the touchline also needs to be negotiating contracts and running the academy.

The hatred for CL based on theories and speculation is ridiculous.

We've had our last 2 Head Coaches put on record CL has done the job they've asked him to.

Yet still some think they know better.

I don't get the seethe for the DoF model. Budge has made very clear she's a businesswoman and a fan but does not know the ins and outs of managing a football club. If we got rid of the DoF position she would be the one interviewing managers and deciding who was going to take the reigns of the footballing side of the club. And in this day and age, managers leave clubs like us on a regular basis to move on to bigger things when they're successful. If we could keep a manager for 5-10 years then it would be fine but managers are hired away and sacked regularly now.

Whether Levein is the right man for the job or not I fail to see the problem with having a football-knowledgeable person who acts as the interface between the business side of the club and the football side. That leaves the head coach to be worried about players and formations and opponents without having to think about contract terms and agents. I don't understand why the man on the touchline also needs to be negotiating contracts and running the academy.

You really have no clue about Soccer mate so it's hardly a surprise with what you've posted. Maybe a harsh thing to say to you but you don't get it at all.

But you said he was doing a good job so why you wanting him to take a step back?

Because I would like him to concentrate more fully on his other commitments. I was keen on his appointment at Hearts overwhelmingly because of the job he did at Dundee United to turn them in to a club that was producing excellent young players. When Levein left and it went back to a manager running the whole shebang, they absolutely fell to pieces.

tolcross lad

Levein is directly accountable to Ann Budge.

The very fact he is in a job should tell people that he is doing a good job. Not all aspects of his job are visible to us. They are to Ann though, and she is happy with the job he is doing.

The visible aspect is not a pretty sight.I cant bear to think what the invisible stuff looks like.If Ann Budge is happy with her DOF the sooner the fans take control, create a new Board and appoint a competent CEO the better.

The hatred for CL based on theories and speculation is ridiculous.

We've had our last 2 Head Coaches put on record CL has done the job they've asked him to.

Yet still some think they know better.

What sign shite players, let Walker, Paterson's and others contracts run down?

Forget what managers are allegedly asking him to do in regards how much influence he has. He is failing in plenty other areas as has been pointed out many times on this thread alone.

See that's the problem. People just point-blank refuse to see past Budge and Levein.

Watt-Zeefuik

You really have no clue about Soccer mate so it's hardly a surprise with what you've posted. Maybe a harsh thing to say to you but you don't get it at all.

I'm on a Scottish forum, you can call it football and I'll still know what you're talking about.

Hands up -- I know less about the sport than most on here. But what about the fitba in Scotland is so completely different from not only every other sport but medium-sized clubs around Europe that the DoF model doesn't work?

Because I would like him to concentrate more fully on his other commitments. I was keen on his appointment at Hearts overwhelmingly because of the job he did at Dundee United to turn them in to a club that was producing excellent young players. When Levein left and it went back to a manager running the whole shebang, they absolutely fell to pieces.

That's fair enough wanting that but I wouldn't say United went down hill when he left. They are in trouble because they are skint and made a bad appointment in McNamara.

The visible aspect is not a pretty sight.I cant bear to think what the invisible stuff looks like.If Ann Budge is happy with her DOF the sooner the fans take control, create a new Board and appoint a competent CEO the better.

In the scenario you lust after, I invisage a similar shitemare to the McNamara reign at Dundee United.

I'm on a Scottish forum, you can call it football and I'll still know what you're talking about.

Hands up -- I know less about the sport than most on here. But what about the fitba in Scotland is so completely different from not only every other sport but medium-sized clubs around Europe that the DoF model doesn't work?

Levein is proving it doesn't work. That is pretty clear.

We aren't a big enough club for a DOF. Aberdeen are the perfect example. A good manager in place, signing very good SPL level players and improving year on year. We could have that. But we choose not to. It's frustrating.

That's fair enough wanting that but I wouldn't say United went down hill when he left. They are in trouble because they are skint and made a bad appointment in McNamara.

When Levein left, they ripped up his model and sold everything off in order for Thompson to claw back some of his inheritance, and McNamara to line his own pockets with his transfer percentage incentive.

They won the Cup with Levein as the DoF and were consistently outperforming us on the pitch.

If we got rid of the DoF position she would be the one interviewing managers and deciding who was going to take the reigns of the footballing side of the club.

Think you will find the board of directors would do the interviewing as happens at many other clubs. To think AB would do it herself is just mental.

We aren't a big enough club for a DOF. Aberdeen are the perfect example. A good manager in place, signing very good SPL level players and improving year on year. We could have that. But we choose not to. It's frustrating.

I totally disagree with this notion that we are not a big enough club to have a director of football. We are the third biggest club in Scotland and we have one of the biggest youth academies in Britain. We use the national training centre as our base. We are exactly the size of club that requires a Directo of Football, imo.

When Levein left, they ripped up his model and sold everything off in order for Thompson to claw back some of his inheritance, and McNamara to line his own pockets with his transfer percentage incentive.

They won the Cup with Levein as the DoF and were consistently outperforming us on the pitch.

Levein left in 2009 and they won the cup in 2010. As far as I know he wasn't DOF. Happy to be corrected on that.

So it didn't go downhill when he left. The owner as you say wanted his money back and they appointed a shocker in McNamara.

Regarding the players contracts....

How can he force a player to sign an extension or move whilst under contract ?

The problem is that because of the Cathro appointment not working CL and AB all of a sudden don't have a clue about running a football club. Yet they knew exactly what they were doing when the made their only other Head Coach appointment....despite the majority thinking it would fail.

The other problem is JKB is made up of standard guy and girls in normal everyday jobs who consider themselves experts on how football should be played, how a club should be run, players contract situations etc etc etc when in actual fact they don't have a ******* clue what they're on about.

Being a passionate supporter does not give you the right to think you know better than the people who have a very decent track record in business and football.

Some on here, including you need to wind your neck in and realise where the current regime have got us to in such a short space of time and give them the opportunity to right the wrong which was Ian Cathro.

I totally disagree with this notion that we are not a big enough club to have a director of football. We are the third biggest club in Scotland and we have one of the biggest youth academies in Britain. We use the national training centre as our base. We are exactly the size of club that requires a Directo of Football, imo.

One of the biggest youth academies doesn't matter. So for example if the national training centre is bigger than say Spurs one that means we have a bigger youth academy?

It would be interesting to see what we spend on our youth side of it compared to other clubs in Scotland.

I don't think it's needed and you have said similar with wanting Levein to go into the background.

So you think we are a big enough club to have a DoF but don't think we are big enough club to justify not appointing successive novice managers who have done absolutely diddly squat in the game. Got it, makes the world of sense!!!!!

Regarding the players contracts....

How can he force a player to sign an extension or move whilst under contract ?

The problem is that because of the Cathro appointment not working CL and AB all of a don't have a clue about running a football club. Yet they knew exactly what they were doing when the made their only other Head Coach appointment....despite the majority thinking it would fail.

The other problem is JKB is made up of standard guy and girls in normal everyday jobs who consider themselves experts on how football should be played, how a club should be run, players contract situations etc etc etc when in actual fact they don't have a ******* clue what they're on about.

Being a passionate supporter does not give you the right to think you know better than the people who have a very decent track record in business and football.

Some on here, including you need to wind your neck in and realise where the current regime have got us to in such a short space of time and give them the opportunity to right the wrong which was Ian Cathro.

You trying to say Paterson and Walker wouldn't have left given the chance with a couple of years left on their deal? Why did we allow them to get to the situation we are in? Nonsense.

How long are we going to use this we are lucky to have a club pish? We finished 5th last season and you think that's something the current regime should be praised for?? Really?

Oh and calm down nobody is an expert but we all have an opinion. That's the point of forums after all.

Watt-Zeefuik

Levein is on one successful appointment and one failed appointment. This next one will be the tell.

In the 31 years between our previous promotion and administration, our average finishing position was 4.6.  That includes the Vlad years, under which  it was 5.1, and doesn't include the admin season in which we finished last. (Or 11th on points earned, regardless.)

Even with an utter catastrophe of a head coaching appointment we've finished 3rd and 5th. Comparing us to Aberdeen at this stage is a bit off -- they started building that squad 5 years ago and didn't have to do it from the Championship with an empty cupboard. Contrary to JKB moaning, we have a lot of quality in our squad and are about two signings away from being able to compete on even level with anyone bar Celtic this season.

Yes, Levein has to get this one right, but if he doesn't, I don't see the answer as scuppering the DoF model. We should just get a different DoF. I'd support Jeffries in the role to the hilt.

Levein is on one successful appointment and one failed appointment. This next one will be the tell.

In the 31 years between our previous promotion and administration, our average finishing position was 4.6. That includes the Vlad years, under which it was 5.1, and doesn't include the admin season in which we finished last. (Or 11th on points earned, regardless.)

Even with an utter catastrophe of a head coaching appointment we've finished 3rd and 5th. Comparing us to Aberdeen at this stage is a bit off -- they started building that squad 5 years ago and didn't have to do it from the Championship with an empty cupboard. Contrary to JKB moaning, we have a lot of quality in our squad and are about two signings away from being able to compete on even level with anyone bar Celtic this season.

Yes, Levein has to get this one right, but if he doesn't, I don't see the answer as scuppering the DoF model. We should just get a different DoF. I'd support Jeffries in the role to the hilt.

Ok mate.

Watt-Zeefuik

Think you will find the board of directors would do the interviewing as happens at many other clubs. To think AB would do it herself is just mental.

Fine. I don't see this as any better. Let the board supervise Levein and keep the board out of the touchline coach's hair.

You trying to say Paterson and Walker wouldn't have left given the chance with a couple of years left on their deal? Why did we allow them to get to the situation we are in? Nonsense.

How long are we going to use this we are lucky to have a club pish? We finished 5th last season and you think that's something the current regime should be praised for?? Really?

Oh and calm down nobody is an expert but we all have an opinion. That's the point of forums after all.

We repeatedly offered to extend Paterson starting in the Championship season and he repeatedly turned us down. Walker was set to sign a new contract until Robbie left and then changed his mind.

The Future's Maroon

Next week folks and I'm ITK

Awe ffs, here we go again! :rofl:

Which leaves you total opportunity to criticise if it goes wrong.

Who do you realistically want to see in the job?

Just 2 names will do and bear in mind the cost attached to releasing them if they are currently in post elsewhere

You seem to think that my sole aim is to find a reason to be able to criticise the club. Nothing could be further from the truth I would be delighted if we appoint a strong Coach with a good record.

My first choice was actually Freedman but obvioulsy that is out of the window now and the other would be Michael O' Neil (I just can't believe that he is a genuine candidate although I would love that to be true).

I don't know the circumstances of O'Neils contract so don't know if he would be allowed to continue with his NI job or if he would have to leave and then compensation would be due.

I do not think Jon Daly is the ideal candidate at the moment but he has done well in the interim and could be a possibility in a couple of years.

Fine. I don't see this as any better. Let the board supervise Levein and keep the board out of the touchline coach's hair.

We repeatedly offered to extend Paterson starting in the Championship season and he repeatedly turned us down. Walker was set to sign a new contract until Robbie left and then changed his mind.

Then if he wouldn't sign we sell him. If you had bothered reading what I said you'd have realised what I was saying.

Levein has failed at almost every aspect of his job -

Hired cathro - FAIL.

Sacked cathro too late - FAIL.

Signed 1million players in January completely going against the philosophy - FAIL.

Does he face up to the media and help his head coach/puppet? - FAIL.

Is he helping attract a high calibre of manager? - FAIL.

Cost us thousands of pounds on terrible signings (Osh, Sammon, Watt etc etc) - FAIL.

Has he managed to tie down our promising players on new deals? - FAIL

Pumped out cups, Europe, allowed hibs to own us etc costing us millions in revenue.

I'd genuinely like to see some facts behind people defending his role at the club? Can someone tell me what he's done well against all that he's done wrong?

Also oversaw training that meant our players aren't even fit enough according to our interim manager

Levein left in 2009 and they won the cup in 2010. As far as I know he wasn't DOF. Happy to be corrected on that.

So it didn't go downhill when he left. The owner as you say wanted his money back and they appointed a shocker in McNamara.

Fair enough, I may have been a few months out with that. I thought he was still DoF at the time. Happy enough to hold up my hands and concede that.

That team which won the cup however, was reared, bought, assembled and propagated by Levein. In the years that followed his departure, they made good progress on the back of the players Levein brought to the academy. Once they had all been sold off and the profits didn't find their way back to the club, there was nothing much coming through the ranks to replace them.

Fair enough, I may have been a few months out with that. I thought he was still DoF at the time. Happy enough to hold up my hands and concede that.

That team which won the cup however, was reared, bought, assembled and propagated by Levein. In the years that followed his departure, they made good progress on the back of the players Levein brought to the academy. Once they had all been sold off and the profits didn't find their way back to the club, there was nothing much coming through the ranks to replace them.

Houston won the cup. Eddie Thompson had the club as his project. He passed away and the money went with him. Levein was part of the success there but only part. Last season certain folk on here attributed all the good young players to Cathro. Eek!

I'm not denying he done a good job at United. However him leaving was not the reason they ended up in the championship. The owner and shite manager seen to that.

If Leveins talent is the youth system then by all means put him in sole charge of that.

One question I do have, if the youth team are taking shape and it's down to Levein then what is Roger Arnott doing?

We are probably going to end up writing this season off when it was glaringly obvious last season that Cathro wasn't up to the job and needed to go. Giving him the summer, pre season, and the LC was a disaster that may have ruined our whole season. The club needs to get signing some players ASAP, new manager or not, or we are in for a long season.

Re Walker and Paterson

According to CL Walker indicated in February he was going to sign a new deal only to have a change of heart.

I think CP made it clear he was going to wind down his contract.

Also....we would have had to receive worthwhile offers from clubs either of players wanted to go to.

As far as I'm aware....this didn't happen.

So....the point you raised to bash CL was a bit....well....pointless tbh.

Also....

I'm not saying we are lucky to have a team....I'm saying we need to have a bit of backbone and support the board who have got us this far. Are we really calling for heads to roll because IC failed ? Surely we should give them the chance to right the wrong ?

There are opinions and then there are dangerous posts put across as facts that make things worse than they actually are.

I reckon the word shambles has been used 1000 times today on here despite nobody actually knowing anything.

JKB is a ****ed up place and its posters like yourself who've really made a mess of it.

Jammy T once again deflecting from the fact that a four week search is going to end in us appointing Daly on no solid grounds whatsoever.

We were told he'd get 4 games weren't we?

I can't deflect the truth

Re Walker and Paterson

According to CL Walker indicated in February he was going to sign a new deal only to have a change of heart.

I think CP made it clear he was going to wind down his contract.

Also....we would have had to receive worthwhile offers from clubs either of players wanted to go to.

As far as I'm aware....this didn't happen.

So....the point you raised to bash CL was a bit....well....pointless tbh.

Also....

I'm not saying we are lucky to have a team....I'm saying we need to have a bit of backbone and support the board who have got us this far. Are we really calling for heads to roll because IC failed ? Surely we should give them the chance to right the wrong ?

There are opinions and then there are dangerous posts put across as facts that make things worse than they actually are.

I reckon the word shambles has been used 1000 times today on here despite nobody actually knowing anything.

JKB is a ****ed up place and its posters like yourself who've really made a mess of it.

Thanks for your reply.

As for Walker. We shouldn't be allowing his deal to get to 16 months left. We should be pushing for him to sign a deal and if not punt him to the highest bidder. Paterson again if he had no intentions of signing then move him on. I don't believe for a minute it was set in stone he was running his deal down.

No we are not wanting Levein to leave because of Cathro. I've never said that. He should go because of the awful job he has done. The recruitment for a start. Sammon, Osh, Rherras etc etc getting 3 year deals. He is the man in charge of footballing matters and he has found a hell of a lot of utter guff and squandered millions on them. The contract situation I've already mentioned. The fact the best he can do in trying to get us another manager has led to it being down apparently to Pressley, an awful manager and Daly the current under 20s coach. He knows no manager worth his salt will work under him and his interfering ways.

It is a shambles the current situation. We badly need players. We have needed a keeper for over a year. No pace in the team and no creativity in midfield. The last 2 been lacking for a few years and yet all he has done is sign a lot of shite and waste money. I've pointed out recruitment is better this season but we still haven't addressed the above areas.

As for kickback being a mess. It's a message board. You have came across as happy clapper who will back the.club no matter what. That is your perogative as is mine to criticise them.

Bungalow Bill

Also oversaw training that meant our players aren't even fit enough according to our interim manager

Utter nonsense. The director of football does not oversee training.

Thanks for your reply.

As for Walker. We shouldn't be allowing his deal to get to 16 months left. We should be pushing for him to sign a deal and if not punt him to the highest bidder. Paterson again if he had no intentions of signing then move him on. I don't believe for a minute it was set in stone he was running his deal down.

No we are not wanting Levein to leave because of Cathro. I've never said that. He should go because of the awful job he has done. The recruitment for a start. Sammon, Osh, Rherras etc etc getting 3 year deals. He is the man in charge of footballing matters and he has found a hell of a lot of utter guff and squandered millions on them. The contract situation I've already mentioned. The fact the best he can do in trying to get us another manager has led to it being down apparently to Pressley, an awful manager and Daly the current under 20s coach. He knows no manager worth his salt will work under him and his interfering ways.

It is a shambles the current situation. We badly need players. We have needed a keeper for over a year. No pace in the team and no creativity in midfield. The last 2 been lacking for a few years and yet all he has done is sign a lot of shite and waste money. I've pointed out recruitment is better this season but we still haven't addressed the above areas.

As for kickback being a mess. It's a message board. You have came across as happy clapper who will back the.club no matter what. That is your perogative as is mine to criticise them.

Did you really read my explanation regarding Walker and CP ? You've basically just ignored it and rewrote what you said originally.

As for the players.....

We are a club who is shopping in and around the bargain basement for players. We will always make mistakes in recruiting.....but name me a club who doesn't ? Every club from the very top to the very bottom signs players that don't fit despite the DOF, Manager or Head Coach thinking they will. As long as the club is progressing each season then this is the main thing.

Now....clearly last season we took a step back and we're looking to sort that. But if we're going to sack an individual every time we don't do better than the previous season we'll be looking for a new manager every other season.

As for the manager situation....it is being perceived to be a shambles because no appointment has been made. You say no manager worth his salt will work with CL yet the only guy who has alluded to this is Billy Davies who has had fall outs with just about every DOF he's worked under. We apparently had dozens of impressive cv's. Why would you get these if they don't want to work within the known system ?

Yes...we need players. We know this. Things have stalled because of our managerial situation. However....I think we should be waiting....let the new guy have his input. CL can't win here....folk want him to stop interfering yet others want him to sign players.

I'm by no means a happy clapper....I'm just not someone who gets carried away and angry by speculation, wild guesses and fanciful theories.

Walter Bishop

STV's Paul Barnes -

Hearts latest:

- Levein, players, MacPhee want Daly but Budge not convinced

- Pressley gave very impressive IV

- Hartley highly unlikely

Archived