Old Edinburgh pubs

JWL

On 24/02/2022 at 14:54, JWL said:

Pretty sure I had my first pint in there but it was called The Admiralty at the time. Think I was 16 but had just left school. Frequented all the others on many occasions.

The Admiralty bar was my local when I was a student. As well as the bar there was the Pink Lady Lounge  if I recall correctly.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• the general

the general

Sorry if already asked but anyone remember a Bungys in Edinburgh late 70s maybe?

I know there was a beat club of that name in 1960s

Stuart Lyon
3 hours ago, the general said:

Sorry if already asked but anyone remember a Bungys in Edinburgh late 70s maybe?

I know there was a beat club of that name in 1960s

i remember the club was down a close off the High Street just down from St Giles but don't recall a pub by that name.

Auld Reekin'
47 minutes ago, Angry Haggis said:

Disappointing that the article wasn't actually about an Edinburgh woman mauling a puma in Leith.  :glare: :whistling:

• 2 months later...
The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

This popped up on my FB earlier and thought it might be of interest to anyone who frequented the place. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/history/remembering-dodgy-edinburgh-pub-stood-24306834?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Good read.

One of the pubs I've never been in.

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

This popped up on my FB earlier and thought it might be of interest to anyone who frequented the place. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/history/remembering-dodgy-edinburgh-pub-stood-24306834?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Mate of mine was a barman in there. Not the most exciting claim to fame but hey ho

Fxxx the SPFL

Remember being in there with the mates from Gorgie one who was quite pissed started bragging about slicing the end of some gadges nose with an open beer can he was slavering shite and we had to hot foot it out before we got lynched by some group of neds at the other side of boozer can’t even remember why we were in the pub lol 😂 

periodictabledancer
On 12/04/2022 at 13:29, Auld Reekin' said:

Disappointing that the article wasn't actually about an Edinburgh woman mauling a puma in Leith.  :glare: :whistling:

Cougar mauls puma. 

Auld Reekin'
1 minute ago, periodictabledancer said:

Cougar mauls puma. 

:thumbsup:  :mystic: 

12 hours ago, the general said:

Haven for shoplifters and rent boys

Ha ha, hopefully not when I was going around 1977/78. The staff used to serve you with not a flicker even though we were all clearly under 18. Always thought it was a great boozer with a cracking jukey but I was a young and naive 16/17 year old snotty nosed wee prick.

Can vaguely remember the old bus station but have no memories of a pub being there at all. When exactly did it close? Article says 2000's and I can recall the 'new' station being opened but can't pinpoint exactly when. I want to say maybe 2004?

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Andy Bowman , dad of David, was the manager I think at the bus station pub.

JudyJudyJudy
19 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Yes I used to go there ! It was a great pub , as someone else said it had a great juke box too . 

And I wasn’t a rent boy or shoplifter ! 😂

• 1 month later...
crunchy frog
On 24/06/2022 at 18:47, Salad Fingers said:

I used to go there, they used to put punk and ska bands on a Sunday afternoon in the late 90s. I never thought it was that bad...

20 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I’ve heard that the Caley Sample Room is shut. Anyone got any info if it will re-open?

Not sure but heard that staffing shortages hastened its closure

1 hour ago, the general said:

Not sure but heard that staffing shortages hastened its closure

To be fair I’m not surprised it has closed. The last few times I was in they had a very limited choice of beers compared to previously, which is never a  good sign. Not sure it’s the best location for a ‘gastropub’. 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

To be fair I’m not surprised it has closed. The last few times I was in they had a very limited choice of beers compared to previously, which is never a  good sign. Not sure it’s the best location for a ‘gastropub’. 

There were a lot of week nights when it was really busy with students and people from the small hotels and Airbnbs nearby.

Only really there and The Fountain that do food

19 minutes ago, the general said:

There were a lot of week nights when it was really busy with students and people from the small hotels and Airbnbs nearby.

Only really there and The Fountain that do food

Fair enough. Hopefully it will reopen as there’s a shortage of pubs around Tynecastle. 

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Last time I was in was around Easter, half six on a Friday night. There was one other punter. 

• 3 months later...
The new West End
On 12/08/2022 at 19:04, davemclaren said:

I’ve heard that the Caley Sample Room is shut. Anyone got any info if it will re-open?

Diggers have taken it over 

Should reopen before xmas

2 hours ago, The new West End said:

Confirmed on Facebook. 

We’ve been asked to open the Caley on behalf of Heineken (our shared landlord) We jumped at the chance to return her to her former glory. There will be changes to stocking agreements as the lease conditions have changed. We’re aiming for this side of Christmas depending on staff and building condition. Look out for social media updates directly once we gain access to them. Kev and Claire

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, The new West End said:

Although it's a while since I been in the pub I'm pleased it's surviving under the persent financial climate. 

On 12/08/2022 at 09:41, the general said:

Montys closing end of month

Landlords Caley Heritable putting up rent and wanting a 'normal' tennant

Real shame about Monty’s. It was just a wee bit different.

Hadn’t realised it was gone until I was in Thomson’s the other week.

Shanks said no
3 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I agree run by a great manager even though he's a Hibby. 

The most miserable man on Morison Street, good lad Lee

1 minute ago, Shanks said no said:

The most miserable man on Morison Street, good lad Lee

I always ask him how he is and his reply is always "terrible". I'd be shocked of the said anything else.

The new West End
On 23/11/2022 at 05:58, leginten said:

Real shame about Monty’s. It was just a wee bit different.

Hadn’t realised it was gone until I was in Thomson’s the other week.

Think the guy who has the Hebridean / Hebrides in Market Street is taking it over but doubt it will be the same as before

• 10 months later...
20 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What was the Fox and Faun in Shandwick Place previous names?

It was Au bar last I think. Before that Dan MacKays and maybe Nimmos before that.

Edited by flogel41
Spelling

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, flogel41 said:

It was Au bar last I think. Before that Dan MacKays and maybe Nimmos before that.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What was the Fox and Faun in Shandwick Place previous names?

Was it not Cuba Norte? 

periodictabledancer
On 24/06/2022 at 22:20, the general said:

Haven for shoplifters and rent boys

Along the road at the Conan Doyle some punters would shoplift to order from the old St.James Centre. 

5 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Along the road at the Conan Doyle some punters would shoplift to order from the old St.James Centre. 

Still goes on in another pub I know.  It's a pain to get those champagne magnets aff