• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• the general

6 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Junction Bridge Tavern on the corner of Ferry Road and Great Junction Street before it became a hairdresser.

0_street_views_-_junction_bridge_af.jpg

Had a brief spell as Dakota of some such nonsense. Occasionally the “working girls” would pop in for a drink before or after their nights efforts. They usually had a sadly haunted air about them. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Had a brief spell as Dakota of some such nonsense. Occasionally the “working girls” would pop in for a drink before or after their nights efforts. They usually had a sadly haunted air about them. 

Called 'Berry's' when my dad drank in it about 60 odd years ago.

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

My old man ran the pub 72-73. He started in the trade in the late fifties. I remember the working girls you refer to.

10 hours ago, JWL said:

Called 'Berry's' when my dad drank in it about 60 odd years ago.

That's right.

And the Eldorado wrestling was just across the road. Used to get a free ticket because my old man put the posters up in the pub. Remember quite a few desperate looking faces and fierce old ladies in those days.

Edited by Section Q

3 minutes ago, Section Q said:

That's right.

And the Eldorado wrestling was just across the road. Used to get a free ticket because my old man put the posters up in the pub. Remember quite a few desperate looking faces and fierce old ladies in those days.

Never actually went in to the wrestling but we found a way of wedging the side door open a bit so we could steal a wee look. The women in the front row certainly looked fierce!!

10 hours ago, JWL said:

Never actually went in to the wrestling but we found a way of wedging the side door open a bit so we could steal a wee look. The women in the front row certainly looked fierce!!

Was a really seedy joint but I think that was part of the culture. Some big stars of the day performed there.

Leith really was a mess back then before regeneration/demolition of tenements around the docks.

Say What Again
15 hours ago, obua said:

I think it was Pat Stanton who had it, I used to play pool upstairs in there probably around late 80s. Guess what i can’t remember the name.

It was, as you've already established.

Pat had a spell where he had a few pubs all around that area. He went from Cairns to the Tolbooth (with Dougie Johnson, one of the earliest black players in Scottish football), then had a stint in the Regent.

9 hours ago, Section Q said:

Was a really seedy joint but I think that was part of the culture. Some big stars of the day performed there.

Leith really was a mess back then before regeneration/demolition of tenements around the docks.

I remember even as a wee laddie that some of the pubs looked rough as feck, especially down the shore area. Had its fair share of lunatics running about too, luckily I was too young and insignificant for them to be bothered about me.

16 hours ago, Morgan said:

I know the place you two mean.

It was bought by the bloke that used to have the Blue Lagoon.  I don’t know if he was Hibs, but I do know that his son used to run with the Hibs casuals.

Would that be a guy named Ian Morg? I seem to remember him from around early/mid nineties, he was actually ok considering he was Hibs. His son was a di*k tried to cause a bit bother in the pub after Hearts v Hibs matches. His dad Ian saved him many times from getting a few sore faces by ushering him behind the bar out the way.

Fxxx the SPFL
13 hours ago, Section Q said:

My old man ran the pub 72-73. He started in the trade in the late fifties. I remember the working girls you refer to. How well :whistling:

9 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:
23 hours ago, Section Q said:

My old man ran the pub 72-73. He started in the trade in the late fifties. I remember the working girls you refer to. How well :whistling:

I was a 15 yo trainee at the training ship Dolphin. She was tied up in Leith and trained kids to go to sea in the merchant navy. I would pop into the pub and see my old man who ran the pub. Leith had character in those days but was quite dodgy. I spent the 70s on ships mainly south America nz and oz. Spent 10 years in the Australian merchant navy before doing other stuff. Saw my fair share of scrubbers but none as rough as the ladies from Leith.....👍

1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

Would that be a guy named Ian Morg? I seem to remember him from around early/mid nineties, he was actually ok considering he was Hibs. His son was a di*k tried to cause a bit bother in the pub after Hearts v Hibs matches. His dad Ian saved him many times from getting a few sore faces by ushering him behind the bar out the way.

Yes, his name was indeed Ian. 👍

Doctor FinnBarr
22 hours ago, Section Q said:

Junction Bridge Tavern on the corner of Ferry Road and Great Junction Street before it became a hairdresser.

Drank in there on more than a few occasions, had a mate stayed a few doors down on Coburg St.

What is it with pubs in Leith? They all seem to have a daft auld biddy who wants to a) sing to you or b)dance with you.

Spent lots of time in the Canny Mans mid to late fifties. Policemen and nurses were well accepted, well behaved and well mannered customers so a few pints there were ammunition for being an eedjit trying to harpoon nurses at the Plaza, again an almost reserved for police and nurses location. I obviously didn't fit perfectly there because I met my wife at the New Cavendish, after a show, Lex Maclean at the Palladium, and a few pints in a pub round the corner from Fountainbridge. Nae class and poor mans upbringing. Couldnae speak like I had a bool in my mooth.

Edited by Sharpie

J.T.F.Robertson
6 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Spent lots of time in the Canny Mans mid to late fifties. Policemen and nurses were well accepted, well behaved and well mannered customers so a few pints there were ammunition for being an eedjit trying to harpoon nurses at the Plaza, again an almost reserved for police and nurses location. I obviously didn't fit perfectly there because I met my wife at the New Cavendish, after a show, Lex Maclean at the Palladium, and a few pints in a pub round the corner from Fountainbridge. Nae class and poor mans upbringing. Couldnae speak like I had a bool in my mooth.

Last time I was in was long after the go-go period, about mid-80's, I think. I was meeting a cousin of mine and she was with some of her regular crowd one of whom seemed to take an instant dislike to me. (can you imagine)

A right pretentious bunch, fur coat and nae knickers.

38 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Did you ever meet Watson Kerr?

He was a wonderful chap.

I knew the son Tristram as around the same age but mind the auld man and his red Rolls Royce.

Must have been mid eighties when I used to frequent it around the time they opened the beer garden at the rear with the dove cots.

Rumour was the birds kept shitting on the punters and Tristram shot them with a air rifle.

Did some work in the pub as a apprentice plumber and met the grandfather too.

Wonderful wee characterful pub but doubt I would get service if I ever darkened their threshold these days.

On a side note I only discovered last year there is a wee social club across the road.

The Morningside Club on Morningside Park.

Christ knows how cliquey that must be.

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Did you ever meet Watson Kerr?

He was a wonderful chap.

Visited it once in the late 60’s.

Thought it was crap.

Apparently when Hearts were formed in 1874 the first changing rooms were above a pub at the corner of West Crosscauseway. Are there any photos of this pub?

On 22/02/2022 at 09:45, JWL said:

I remember even as a wee laddie that some of the pubs looked rough as feck, especially down the shore area. Had its fair share of lunatics running about too, luckily I was too young and insignificant for them to be bothered about me.

Was in the 'Jungle' a few times in the 70's.

Scary place if you didn't know anybody !

Classy place !

Had a guy proudly showing of his stab wounds to my mate and I ! ( my mate knew him. 😵)

Went into the 'Angel hotel' once. That was enough..talk about the 'Wild West '!😵

28 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

I knew the son Tristram as around the same age but mind the auld man and his red Rolls Royce.

Must have been mid eighties when I used to frequent it around the time they opened the beer garden at the rear with the dove cots.

Rumour was the birds kept shitting on the punters and Tristram shot them with a air rifle.

Wonderful wee characterful pub but doubt I would get service if I ever darkened their threshold these days.

On a side note I only discovered last year there is a wee social club across the road.

Played there many times in the interclub snooker days during the 80's/90's, was always made welcome.

8 minutes ago, bairdy said:

Was in the 'Jungle' a few times in the 70's.

Scary place if you didn't know anybody !

Classy place !

Had a guy proudly showing of his stab wounds to my mate and I ! ( my mate knew him. 😵)

Went into the 'Angel hotel' once. That was enough..talk about the 'Wild West '!😵

There were a few classy places down there. The Trade Winds was quite the place as well, formerly Fairley’s but that was before my time. I remember being in the Jungle once and my mare went for a piss and as he walked back out into the bar a random bloke just turned round and punched him in the face as hard as he could. No warning or reason for it apart from my mate was a big bloke. 

16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There were a few classy places down there. The Trade Winds was quite the place as well, formerly Fairley’s but that was before my time. I remember being in the Jungle once and my mare went for a piss and as he walked back out into the bar a random bloke just turned round and punched him in the face as hard as he could. No warning or reason for it apart from my mate was a big bloke. 

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest Tazio.

I also used to go to Fairley's.

I was a really classy guy back then,😎.

1 hour ago, Janbo1874 said:

Tristram is a decent bloke.  When he first got married, they lived in a flat around the corner from my wife and I.

Watson, and his wife, Frances were really good people to know. His bark was far worse than his bite!

To be honest though, the bar went downhill substantially when Watson passed away.

Played there many times in the interclub snooker days during the 80's/90's, was always made welcome.

Was that the Angle Club you played in?

37 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Was that the Angle Club you played in?

I played the occasional game in the Angle Club but in this instance I was referring to the Morningside Club, Morg, which was situated in Morningside Park. I've no idea if its still open?

I played the occasional game in the Angle Club but in this instance I was referring to the Morningside Club, Morg, which was situated in Morningside Park. I've no idea if its still open?

The Morningside Club is still open but how mystifies me as I never knew it existed until last year.

Maybe the first rule of the club is that nobody talks about it😉

2 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

The Morningside Club is still open but how mystifies me as I never knew it existed until last year.

Maybe the first rule of the club is that nobody talks about it😉

Where, exactly, is Morningside Park?

On 22/02/2022 at 21:01, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Drank in there on more than a few occasions, had a mate stayed a few doors down on Coburg St.

What is it with pubs in Leith? They all seem to have a daft auld biddy who wants to a) sing to you or b)dance with you.

Alex Laidlaw had the pub on Coburg Street, forget the name. He got 30 years for treason back in the 70s. Wouldn't serve a Catholic in his pub. Nasty piece of work. Some of the older members with connections to Leith might remember him.

6 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Alex Laidlaw had the pub on Coburg Street, forget the name. He got 30 years for treason back in the 70s. Wouldn't serve a Catholic in his pub. Nasty piece of work. Some of the older members with connections to Leith might remember him.

The Coburg Bar. 

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

The Coburg Bar. 

Yep. All painted blue. If memory serves correct they found a large stash of guns in the building hence why was locked up. Evening news gave a small column to it. Wasn't/isn't a well known story.

4 hours ago, Section Q said:

Yep. All painted blue. If memory serves correct they found a large stash of guns in the building hence why was locked up. Evening news gave a small column to it. Wasn't/isn't a well known story.

The story we used to hear was that the police raided it on a tip off but couldn’t find anything. Then a young constable noticed that the glasses from the shelf under the bar, that were on top of it now, filled the whole depth when on the shelf but not when they were on top. So they pulled the front off the bar and guns were stashed there. All just waiting to be sent to Ulster. Could be nonsense but that was the story that went around. 

2 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Got you!

The street where Donray was about 100 years ago?

:biggrin:

broxburnjambo
On 21/02/2022 at 22:52, Section Q said:

Had many a pint in there as with many other old establishment's around the bottom on Leith. 

The Caledonian

The Vine

The Halfway House

The Prom

The Carousel 

The Bonnington Toll

Swanneys

The State Snooker Hall

Just a few.

All memories of my youth and my introduction to drinking.

1 hour ago, broxburnjambo said:

Had many a pint in there as with many other old establishment's around the bottom on Leith. 

The Caledonian

The Vine

The Halfway House

The Prom

The Carousel 

The Bonnington Toll

Swanneys

The State Snooker Hall

Just a few.

Pretty sure I had my first pint in there but it was called The Admiralty at the time. Think I was 16 but had just left school. Frequented all the others on many occasions.

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You're ageing well.:laugh2:

Considering you were in the Canny Man's when Watson Kerr was still in nappies, you're doing not so bad yourself.

:gok:

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Considering you were in the Canny Man's when Watson Kerr was still in nappies, you're doing not so bad yourself.

:gok:

👍

18 hours ago, broxburnjambo said:

The Caledonian

The Vine

The Halfway House

The Prom

The Carousel 

The Bonnington Toll

Swanneys

The State Snooker Hall

Just a few.

Had my first pint in the Kings Wark, (Jungle), when I was 15.....

On 07/08/2017 at 16:38, Sharpie said:

In the 50's and 60's I suspect half the crime in Edinburgh was planned in the Rat Trap. The boyos would stand on the steps of the shops on the north east corner of Nicolson Street at Hill Place, resplendent with the succesful in their Crombie overcoats. Then from 12 to 3 over to the pub, back on the steps until 5.00pm. Despite the rough crowd I don't recall a lot of calls there,  probably self policed.

Hi Sharpie. Would it be fair to say the police attitude to rugby fans was/is a bit more nuanced than toward football fans?

I remember some years ago going into a hotel at the West End with a mate and our two girlfriends. We’d all been to Tynecastle and we’re still wearing our scarves. And no, we hadn’t had any drinks beforehand.
We were asked to leave because we were “wearing colours”. Fair enough, I thought. Lots of bars in the city centre take this approach…
And then, as I turned to leave, I saw a large group of Scotland rugby fans standing a few yards away - all very quiet and looking at us - all bedecked in kilts, scarves, Scotland jerseys, etc, etc.

I reckoned they’d gone silent because they realised what was going on.
I suppose some of them had the good grace to feel embarrassed at the blatant double standards on display.

Did the bar staff/owners think the police have viewed us as more likely to be antisocial than the rugby set?

The Class System in operation?

Doctor FinnBarr
34 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Hi Sharpie. Would it be fair to say the police attitude to rugby fans was/is a bit more nuanced than toward football fans?

I remember some years ago going into a hotel at the West End with a mate and our two girlfriends. We’d all been to Tynecastle and we’re still wearing our scarves. And no, we hadn’t had any drinks beforehand.
We were asked to leave because we were “wearing colours”. Fair enough, I thought. Lots of bars in the city centre take this approach…
And then, as I turned to leave, I saw a large group of Scotland rugby fans standing a few yards away - all very quiet and looking at us - all bedecked in kilts, scarves, Scotland jerseys, etc, etc.

I reckoned they’d gone silent because they realised what was going on.
I suppose some of them had the good grace to feel embarrassed at the blatant double standards on display.

Did the bar staff/owners think the police have viewed us as more likely to be antisocial than the rugby set?

The Class System in operation?

I remember maybe 25 years ago being in a Grassmarket pub whilst the rugby was on, any female trying to get to the bogs were getting pounced on by about 6 guys shouting "scrum". Can you imagine any football fan getting away with that?

Well for all the bad things I am being football and Hearts daft and wearing my maroon and white scarf to games and the pub after I would never hassle anyone for football colors, if policemen did it would have to be as I would think at the request of the publican, some could have had rules because of the possibility of arguments and fights due to identifying of teams. I do not in my twelve years with Edinburgh ever remember any policy requiring action against club colors. Out of principle I did I am sure hassle Celtic or Rangers people because they as they claimed were the peepul and deserved jail time just for that. Such power.😁