• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• the general

Paddy Crossan
2 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

The Stags Head and the one across the road, I think it was McGowans at one time, both had pool tables, don't see many of them in city pubs now. The Stags Head was also popular for darts players.

ON second thoughts I think it was called McLachlans

17 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

ON second thoughts I think it was called McLachlans

It is called O'Connors

O'Connor's.png

Edited by Stuart Lyon

O'Connors used to be The Stags Head diagonally across the junction was MacLachlans Ale House which I think was called the Coach and Horses beforehand.

Manager of MacLachlans at one time was called Scott and he was a prick,used to let Ratboy Riordan and his hangers on free rein in the place with lock ins.

Fxxx the SPFL
17 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

O'Connors used to be The Stags Head diagonally across the junction was MacLachlans Ale House which I think was called the Coach and Horses beforehand.

Manager of MacLachlans at one time was called Scott and he was a prick,used to let Ratboy Riordan and his hangers on free rein in the place with lock ins.

did that Scott end up at Clark's bar

19 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

The Stags Head was one really decent old fashioned boozer now it's O'connors i think but yep another old pub that bit the dust. very few oldie type boozers left in Edinburgh now.

Frequented the Stags Head back in the early 80's when I stayed in Broughton Road. Think the managers name was Dave, had a big black moustache along with his tasty bird who also worked there☺️

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Frequented the Stags Head back in the early 80's when I stayed in Broughton Road. Think the managers name was Dave, had a big black moustache along with his tasty bird who also worked there☺️

it was always women behind the bar from 2007 until it changed hands always decent crowds in for Scotland matches used to hand out pies at half time and cheap drink. Big Man City flag on the ceiling

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

25 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

it was always women behind the bar from 2007 until it changed hands always decent crowds in for Scotland matches used to hand out pies at half time and cheap drink. Big Man City flag on the ceiling

I went with a crowd from the pub aged 16 in 1975 to the England v Scotland 5-1 game.

Paddy Crossan
4 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

did that Scott end up at Clark's bar

Scott did indeed end up at Clarks. He was a prick. He alienated a lot of the regulars in his time there. I went in shortly after he took over and he made a rude comment about my maroon jersey and told me it was now a Hibs pub. He went on to work at the Plough in Haddington but was only there for a few months. Lives out North Berwick/drem way I believe and is/was an arrogant twat.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Paddy Crossan said:

Scott did indeed end up at Clarks. He was a prick. He alienated a lot of the regulars in his time there. I went in shortly after he took over and he made a rude comment about my maroon jersey and told me it was now a Hibs pub. He went on to work at the Plough in Haddington but was only there for a few months. Lives out North Berwick/drem way I believe and is/was an arrogant twat.

Used to be loads of jambos drank in Clark’s me and the missus would stop in on the way home from Tynie and there was a couple of Hearts photos on the wall sure there was one with Robbo but we only went in from 2007 when we moved back to Edinburgh some lad from London has it now and took over the wee cafe next door as well 

4 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

Bumped into him in The Waterside in Haddington about a year or so ago. Used to drink in McLachlans when he ran it. Didn’t mind him tbh but a lot of folk didn’t take to him. 

9 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

Diane ran the Stags at the same time as Scott ran McLachlans. 

8 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Aye a few of the locals were big City fans when we were crap

Fxxx the SPFL
38 minutes ago, the general said:

Aye a few of the locals were big City fans when we were crap

Not glory hunters then lol

20 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Used to be loads of jambos drank in Clark’s me and the missus would stop in on the way home from Tynie and there was a couple of Hearts photos on the wall sure there was one with Robbo but we only went in from 2007 when we moved back to Edinburgh some lad from London has it now and took over the wee cafe next door as well 

Used to go down to Clark's and meet one of the guys who worked for Standard at the time, usually on a Monday lunchtime. This would be around the time big Dave ran it. He was a big Hearts fan and it had Hearts pics and nice photo of Robbo on the wall. Can't say I remember this Scott guy.

On 19/03/2018 at 20:14, The White Cockade said:

anybody name the pubs on Cockburn Street?

What is/was the one next to the Malt Shovel?

Jim's Bar. Now for sale as a Mexican Restaurant. I bought a flat on the first floor about 30 odd years ago.

Register Tap, was pulled down to make way for the St James shopping centre. Also the Horse Shoe Bar just around the corner was demolished.

394dc8ae3d44b4f88505b1908e15ea40.jpg

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Jim's Bar. Now for sale as a Mexican Restaurant. I bought a flat on the first floor about 30 odd years ago.

I hope you saw the "Mind your step" sign before you saw the step going to the toilet. 

On 20/02/2022 at 04:41, Section Q said:

Was the one next to the Malt Shovel not Drew Nichol’s?

Fxxx the SPFL

Was chatting with the wife the other day and we spoke about an old boozer at the bottom of regent terrace under the railway bridge we couldn’t mind the name but I’m sure an ex hibs player ran it anybody remember it’s name 

34 minutes ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Drew owned the Malt Shovel after leaving the Cafe Royal.

13 minutes ago, dav1e said:

Lucky Mcgleuchars Howf was part of a hotel on Newington Rd , always had a chuckle whenever I passed it on the bus.

The Doric, wasn't it?

27 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Was chatting with the wife the other day and we spoke about an old boozer at the bottom of regent terrace under the railway bridge we couldn’t mind the name but I’m sure an ex hibs player ran it anybody remember it’s name 

I think it was Pat Stanton who had it, I used to play pool upstairs in there probably around late 80s. Guess what i can’t remember the name.

Just now, obua said:

I think it was Pat Stanton who had it, I used to play pool upstairs in there probably around late 80s. Guess what i can’t remember the name.

Might have been cairns or similar.

Fxxx the SPFL
17 minutes ago, obua said:

Cheers bud I’m sure some old fart will remember 

1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

1 hour ago, obua said:

I know the place you two mean.

It was bought by the bloke that used to have the Blue Lagoon.  I don’t know if he was Hibs, but I do know that his son used to run with the Hibs casuals.

2 hours ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Jim's Inn was further up Cockburn Street on the corner of Jacksons Close and has been named The Arcade Bar for decades now.

Fxxx the SPFL
15 minutes ago, obua said:

B2EA6ACA-C1EF-403A-9E3E-312DBA21DD6E.thumb.png.4a72d89b06c22f6694f7e6681b45f2b9.png

Well hunted down Obua and you were right can’t believe you went over to the dark side to find that out lol

14 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Well hunted down Obua and you were right can’t believe you went over to the dark side to find that out lol

Sorry it was just that page that come up on a search.

37 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

Jim's Inn was further up Cockburn Street on the corner of Jacksons Close and has been named The Arcade Bar for decades now.

I don’t think it’s been ‘decades’.

I’m sure it was also known as The Scotsman Bar.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

The Doric, wasn't it?

Sounds about right,  wee while ago ,remember it being to the left hand side of the hotel with its own entrance. 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I don’t think it’s been ‘decades’.

I’m sure it was also known as The Scotsman Bar.

Scotsman bar is the other side of the street from the Arcade bar.

Edited by Janbo1874
Spelling

22 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

Morgan muddying the waters again lol

Lebowskis on Morrison Street reopens on Friday as The Festival iirc

Another Belhaven pub I'm sure

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

To me The Doric was always on Market Street. Upstairs from the Hebrides. 

That’s right, there was a Doric at the back entrance to the train station.

I was referring to the Doric Hotel on Minto Street.

31 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

My mistake, I got them confused.

1 hour ago, dav1e said:

Sounds about right,  wee while ago ,remember it being to the left hand side of the hotel with its own entrance. 

That’s it.

It was a wee disco at one point, wasn’t it?

9 minutes ago, the general said:

Morgan muddying the waters again lol

Lebowskis on Morrison Street reopens on Friday as The Festival iirc

Another Belhaven pub I'm sure

You know me, General.  😆

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That’s right, there was a Doric at the back entrance to the train station.

I was referring to the Doric Hotel on Minto Street.

Righto. Not my end of town. I get confused when I get too far south of Princes Street to be honest.  

13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That’s it.

It was a wee disco at one point, wasn’t it?

Dunno, my Da told me he had a drink in the place and I thought it was a cool name so remember looking out for it while passing Newington .

Were you ever in it.?

Just now, dav1e said:

Dunno, my Da told me he had a drink in the place and I thought it was a cool name so remember looking out for it while passing Newington .

Were you ever in it.?

Once.

Not a pleasant experience, that’s all I’m saying.  😎