Torrential rain at Tynecastle

Gorgiewave

Shed to Med

I remember the Gornik game. Sheets and sheets of torrential rain in the floodlights, but also recall being upstairs on the 44 bus going home afterwards and there was water sloshing about the floor. Not talking about a little bit either. It was as if someone had emptied a couple of bathtubs in the top deck.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Diadora Van Basten

Not Hearts but Scotland v Italy 2005/6 I think at Hampden was crazy, remember being absolutely soaked through to the bone that day. Today was wild though, bloody Scottish summers ay [emoji23].

Remember Italy kept their waterproofs on for the anthems whilst Scotland looked drowned rats.

gashauskis9

Wednesday night in April 1994.

Hearts 2 St Johnstone 2.

This was the scoreline after 15 mins... don't know how the game even started, never mind finish!

I was there, in the school end soaked through hurling abuse at Andy Rhodes.

vague memories of a midweek game v St Johnstone. Rhodes in goal for them, Crombie the ref. we won 2-0 i think.

lots of surface water

I was in the shed that night. The game should never have started and few believed it would last the 90. So much so there was very little celebration at our goals.

January/February '93.

Alma Matters

I remember a game from about the early 90s when it rained terribly. The shed was packed and the rest of the Hearts end was sparse. Henry Smith was in goals. Does anybody remember the game? Or remember any other games with rain similar to today's?

4-0 against Motherwell in the cup. We played them a week later, won 2-0 I think and one of the floodlight lamps was hanging by a thread. A small area was cleared on the terracing incase it fell. Safety first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alma Matters

Wednesday night in April 1994.

Hearts 2 St Johnstone 2.

This was the scoreline after 15 mins... don't know how the game even started, never mind finish!

Didn't we end up losing 4-2 in the league cup ? Shite weather, shite night, just shite.

It's been mentioned but the New Year '84 derby was farcical. Monsoon conditions, puddles all over the pitch and the rest mud.

Donald Park curled in the opener (similar to Robbo's in the fabled 3-2 game), they equalized while we were still celebrating and a net bound low shot beat Rough but slowed down the closer it got to the line. Stopped dead and about half a dozen players rushed to get there but a Hibby got there first and cleared. :(

Jambof3tornado

Anyway, the pitch held up pretty well

It did indeed. Only a few areas along the sidelines seemed to hold water that impacted on the balls movement.

Lets see how it is come November.

stirlingshirejambo

Felt a bit sorry for the bellboys and girls on the main stand side

Sterling effort from them

David McCaig

Yesterday made me very happy that my seats are in row 30 of the Wheatfield!!

Felt a bit sorry for the bellboys and girls on the main stand side

Sterling effort from them

From Hearts twitter:

DFaWFSCXYAIBKH3.jpg

I was in the shed that night. The game should never have started and few believed it would last the 90. So much so there was very little celebration at our goals.

January/February '93.

I remember that game they even moved st Johnstone fans into the wing stand , massive puddles all over the pitch

Benny Factor

Didn't we end up losing 4-2 in the league cup ? Shite weather, shite night, just shite.

Nah, this was a league game. Just before the shed was no more.

The league cup game was the one where Stevie Frail thought he was a keeper and got sent off for palming the ball over the bar.

From Hearts twitter:

DFaWFSCXYAIBKH3.jpg

Must admit from the wheatfield I noticed the yellow balls then realised there were wee people there LOL . A cross between dedication and child cruelty ( joking ) .

I remember it lashing down during the 10-0 win over Cowdenbeath. Folk in the lower sections were getting soaked and a lot of them left early and missed about 6 goals. :lol:

I remember it lashing down during the 10-0 win over Cowdenbeath. Folk in the lower sections were getting soaked and a lot of them left early and missed about 6 goals. :lol:

That was a highly entertaining game , big zee pulled out no stops and had the pleasure of seeing a pen using the patenka method think it was Gomis or Pallardo . Must admit felt a wee bit sorry for Cowdenbeath. Goalie , was sat in the old stand and comfortably dry.

this is why we should have summer fitba so we can avoid playing in a frost but generally dry January to play in an unpredictable but highly likely torrential june/july.

Saturdays game was the worst weather since the Sparta game which was also what would be called a summer month august/sept if I remember right.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Nah, this was a league game. Just before the shed was no more.

The league cup game was the one where Stevie Frail thought he was a keeper and got sent off for palming the ball over the bar.

Nicky walker came out, flapping at a corner. Frail was a better goalie than walker.

Bazzas right boot

My worst game ever.

Not that game, we were 2-0 up at half time with ten men. Frail being sent of for handball, we saved the penalty.

They scored 4 second half Goals, think 3 were in about 10 minutes.

Shambles.

It was cold that night.

Nb they were also in the division below us.

Bazzas right boot

I had s bet on 7-0 that game.

Knew at HT the bet was ****ed.

My worst game ever.

Not that game, we were 2-0 up at half time with ten men. Frail being sent of for handball, we saved the penalty.

They scored 4 second half Goals, think 3 were in about 10 minutes.

Shambles.

It was cold that night.

Nb they were also in the division below us.

Grim night in a grim week. Iirc, we'd lost to Hibs a few days before.

Archived